Roland ACB sampler rumor - Page 4 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Roland ACB sampler rumor
Old 22nd November 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by asynchro_nous ➑️
Where does the MX-1 fit into this, then?
MX1 fits the x0x concept with its step sequencer, lack of menu/screen system and integration to a multi unit eco system.. You can almost be certain a 16 pad [MPC] sampler would require a different paradigm hence be part of a different series imo..

Quote:
It's definitely not going to be a workstation type piece, and it will have to be in the same cost bracket as the TR-8.
How can you claim that with such certitude? Do you know anything we don't? Because so far the only person that seems to be in the know has specifically stated:

"Roland has a new 16 Pad sampler/workstation coming"
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthio ➑️
Why wouldn't it? Korg has released a hardware sampler only last year.

Yes, software samplers are easier. But there's something about the sound AND timing of hardware samplers that's much better IMO. I've just bought an old Akai S2800 and think it's great.

You could say the same about the TR8. Why would anyone buy a hardware drumcomputer these days with all the software around? Well, a lot of people did. And a MPC style hardware sampler wouldn't be that far off from the TR8. Just a TR8 where you can use your own samples.
True, that's what made the MV-8000/8080 so popular; along with a lot of other great features, it was (is) tight!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanax ➑️
MX1 fits the x0x concept with its step sequencer, lack of menu/screen system and integration to a multi unit eco system.. You can almost be certain a 16 pad [MPC] sampler would require a different paradigm hence be part of a different series imo..

How can you claim that with such certitude? Do you know anything we don't? Because so far the only person that seems to be in the know has specifically stated:

"Roland has a new 16 Pad sampler/workstation coming"
No inside info, sadly, just can't see Roland going heavy with workstation features on a product that would fit into their new paradigm.
Old 22nd November 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
^Then again, "workstation" is one of those terms that means many different things to many different people
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guns N Dope ➑️
What made those old samplers great wasn't the low memory or bit rate, artifacts or workflow it was that back then you had the one you had and you made it work. Putting a ton of options in one box with today's nearly limitless memory misses the point.
I agree a lot with what you are saying, but you really can't discount the fact that a lot of artistic discoveries and sounds and records were made by the limitations applied by the low memory, bit rate, and artifacts. Having used a lot of the samplers mentioned, the limited ram forced me to use lower bit rates and sampling rates, which contributed HEAVILY to the sound of what I was doing, .. as Hank Shocklee talks about a lot, and Nine Inch Nails Pretty Hate Machine was in a large part defined by the sound of the Emax, and with limited ram, dropping drums etc to the lower rates, and because the anti aliasing filters on those machines were so limited or non existent, the aliasing artifacts indeed created so much of the sound of that record and the sound of NIN going forward... same thing with Public Enemy or Cypress Hill etc etc...

and no one was going for the "workflow" aspects of the Mirage, that's for sure (well I HOPE not! ), or the terrible Yamaha sampler, (ug, never get that time back...)... but other boxes like the MPC's etc absolutely absolutely helped define almost whole genres by the workflow aspects you type of for sure....
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by asynchro_nous ➑️
No inside info, sadly, just can't see Roland going heavy with workstation features on a product that would fit into their new paradigm.
again.. lotta people didn't see them going modular or analog either.. and they did just that.. also again no specific indication this is going to be part of the aira line..for all we know 'workstation' could mean it's based of FA series.. maybe desktop version of this with ACB emulation:

Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Workstation always meant sequencer on board. And not just a x0x one. Else the JD-XA would be called workstation too.

The FA-06 is a workstation with sampling. Its also below 1k EUR.

EDIT: ugh, i should really read and type faster
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guns N Dope ➑️
What made those old samplers great wasn't the low memory or bit rate, artifacts or workflow it was that back then you had the one you had and you made it work. Putting a ton of options in one box with today's nearly limitless memory misses the point.
You may have a point there. May be all of todays luxury in synths/samplers hampers creativity?
Old 22nd November 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Well, one thing that would be very Roland, and that is a sort of glaring omission in the Aira line, would be a performance oriented sampler with minimal menu-diving and lots of realtime control, maybe in a TR-8 style box.

Hopefully......
Old 22nd November 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
If you want really great samplers/sound/character best dig into the past.Samples these days(*moan) are to0 bright and crispy with the simulation tooo thin/glossy/digital.Emulated warmth anyone??Kinda works with the bootiques tho.I guess.... (dont think id let go of my SP404 cos it does actually sound great without being too modern imo.)
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyBox ➑️
For those who doubt Roland would emulate other brands: they've done it before. First example that comes to my mind is that some of the filters available in the Supernatural synth engine are modeled after the Prophet 5, and some on the Moog filter.
That's not ACB, though. They've only done that to their own products, them going after other persons' products through the AIRA moniker would be a definite divergence.
Old 22nd November 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Roland have a very rich and coveted synth heritage... they can explore that almost infinitely.. not so much at all in sampler land.. let's face it roland aren't going to turn many heads by only offering a simulation of their S/SP series.. so a divergence yes.. but an almost obligatory one if they wanna capture the kind of heritage interest they've drawn with their Aira/Boutique series..
Old 22nd November 2015
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Untold riches await they who can deliver the authentic sp1200 experience
Old 22nd November 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Would be funny if Akai also came with a standalone MPC at Namm. And after the unexpected JD-XA/Prophet Poly-Showdown of 2015, there is a completely unexpected MPC/MV showdown in 2016.
Old 23rd November 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
..actually people are expecting a new standalone MPC at Namm... Next standalone MPC revealed

Roland is the only real wild card here..
Old 23rd November 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
The source of these rumours also say akai has two new products in the woodworks. So it is possible
Old 23rd November 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by krakapow ➑️
The source of these rumours also say akai has two new products in the woodworks. So it is possible
Lets hope the reference to woodwork has nothing to do with anything timber related.
Old 23rd November 2015
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Akai rock up with a retooled untouched MPC3000LE "final limited boutique gourmet" run only to be blown to smithereens with a "final final" SP1200 reissue from Rossum
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Roland have a very rich and coveted synth heritage... they can explore that almost infinitely.. not so much at all in sampler land..
Apart from them being responsible for the most interesting and creative samplers in history, the VP-9000 and the V-Synth.
Old 23rd November 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
SP1200 reissue from Rossum
Now that would be something.

Cheers
Old 23rd November 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
SP1200 reissue from Rossum
Now that would be something.

Cheers
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by realtrance ➑️
True.....

Although -- we're not quite there yet -- but imagine a scenario like Maschine, communicating wirelessly with your entire software suite, accessible via Cloud.

Then all you have onstage is the controller.

That would be pretty cool, wouldn't it? Especially if it allowed you to collaborate with other musicians regardless of location?
Call me old-fashioned, but no. I like owning my sounds, having my own private copy that isn't located thousands of miles away, on somebody else's computer. For me, off-line is where it's at.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lectrojape ➑️
Lets hope the reference to woodwork has nothing to do with anything timber related.
Slightly OT, but funny thing about the Timbre Wolf -- I always pronounced that word, "TAM-bre."
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
So, Roland just retweeted me on the sampler rumor.
Attached Thumbnails
Roland ACB sampler rumor-image.jpeg  
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
again.. lotta people didn't see them going modular or analog either.. and they did just that.. also again no specific indication this is going to be part of the aira line..for all we know 'workstation' could mean it's based of FA series.. maybe desktop version of this with ACB emulation:

Kinda OT, but speaking of samplers, how is the sampler in the FA-06/08? These seem like great workstations to me (wish they had more outs though), and the sampling makes them extra-interesting. Also, were these before or after the latest Integra?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistingknobs ➑️
So, Roland just retweeted me on the sampler rumor.
Interesting. I feel that of any synthesis method, sampling still holds the most potential for avant-garde sounds and genre-bending stuff. The emulations listed in the OP seem really random to me, but then again, I wasn't expecting Korg to reissue ARP gear.
Old 23rd November 2015
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
In musical circles the word is TAM-BER as opposed to TIM-BER and BTW - many great composers have made the point that options are the great void for creativity. Making a decision is in essence eliminating all other possibilities thus reducing subsequent options. Continue to make decisions and eventually you get a 'result' --- too many options becomes a case of diminishing returns unless you perhaps have unlimited time, not a problem I must content with at present.

Regarding this vaporous Roland ACB thingie that sounds like all sorts of ancient thingies I can't find the yawning emoji fast enough. The year is 2015 (almost 16) and all my old PITA boxes with 2mb ram and floppies and DIN sync sit around gathering dust while I spend my time using NEW Stuff because I make new music. If they would just use that technology to make circuits that went beyond what their analog counterparts could do in their natural habitat, that would be something. This one goes to 11...

Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by midiquestions ➑️
Call me old-fashioned, but no. I like owning my sounds, having my own private copy that isn't located thousands of miles away, on somebody else's computer. For me, off-line is where it's at.
+1

For me the only clouds are in the sky.

Just like the only apples I use are from the grocery...
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Timbre.

Yeah, Roland have plenty of sampler heritage (S7xx) and the latest line in samplers (SPD-SX and TM2) are great (and widely used).
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I totally believe a sampler is coming. I'm waiting for the sampler revolution/wars to start. I'd be all over it.

However, I wonder if the acronym ACB was added in by the leaker chain somehow. The A stands for analog. Although part of what gave samplers their character could be attributed to the final analog stage, I truly doubt that anyone would model such a thing. Most samplers had digital outs which would maintain the character.

I spent some time a few years ago trying to emulate the character of the ASR-10. In the end my non professional opinion was that the highs were slightly rolled off. Lol.

I don't really care too much about the emulation thing. Sure have some options for emulating bitrates and lofi, but all I want is an easy to use, quick to sample sampler with crossfade looping, polyphony, envelopes, multitimbrality, effects per timbre, and a great sequencer.
Closed