Modal Electronics 002R.... - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Modal Electronics 002R....
Old 2nd November 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Modal Electronics 002R....

OMG.....I want one.....

Would have to sell my TI2 and expanded NL1 keyboard to finance one though....my god they sound BEAUTIFUL though.

Anyone had a chance to use this yet? How is the internal programming software? Is there a vst editor that I can open in ableton or is it web-based only?

Anyone here own one and care to comment?
Old 2nd November 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenWiley ➑️
OMG.....I want one.....

Would have to sell my TI2 and expanded NL1 keyboard to finance one though....my god they sound BEAUTIFUL though.

Anyone had a chance to use this yet? How is the internal programming software? Is there a vst editor that I can open in ableton or is it web-based only?

Anyone here own one and care to comment?
The editor is web based only at this time. I have the 002 and I believe the programming is the same. A very nice instrument indeed.

I think you would miss the prophet 12 though. I once got rid of a synth and I regret it to this day.
Old 2nd November 2015 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Guru ➑️
The editor is web based only at this time. I have the 002 and I believe the programming is the same. A very nice instrument indeed.

I think you would miss the prophet 12 though. I once got rid of a synth and I regret it to this day.
I read Prophet 12 at first too. He is selling the Virus Ti though. Prophet 12 doesn't have any competition in my book.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Piana ➑️
I read Prophet 12 at first too. He is selling the Virus Ti though. Prophet 12 doesn't have any competition in my book.
My eyes are playing tricks on me.

I would definitely hang on to that Virus.
Old 2nd November 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I thought the editor was browser based not web based, so you don't have to connect it to the internet to use it. I'm guessing you just tap in an IP address.
Old 2nd November 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
After many years being a Gearslut, I've come up with a long list of rules.

1. Never Sell.

-
Old 2nd November 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehlord ➑️
I thought the editor was browser based not web based, so you don't have to connect it to the internet to use it. I'm guessing you just tap in an IP address.
I've only used it once so far and I had to tap in the IP address that showed up on my synth LCD display.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinkle ➑️

1. Never Sell.

-
That's a golden rule in my book.
Old 2nd November 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Really? The Modulus 002R sounds much more pleasing than the TI2 to my ears. Is that me just lusting....or?

I really like how the Modulus' NCO's also allow for wavetable usage. I own a microwave 1 and I'm a HUGE fan of the digital osc/analog filter design which is another reason this synth intrigues me!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

1. Never Sell.

-
Old 2nd November 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Well, actually I didn't follow that golden rule and recently sold a Nord 3, and will unload more because I'm very interested in the Modal 002R, too. It sounds fantastic. The browser/web interface is not for me though. How is the rack interface, does anyone have experience with it?
Old 3rd November 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Really? The Modulus 002R sounds much more pleasing than the TI2 to my ears. Is that me just lusting....or?
No, it quite clearly sounds much nicer, the 002 is unquestionably in a higher class. Especially if your TI2 is just the desktop, then no loss there.
Old 3rd November 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

1. Never Sell.

-
Nah I always sell stuff. If you upgrade to something amazing then it's fine with me. I have to be sure though.
Old 14th November 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
so a question regarding the editor......can i use firefox to edit the synth or does it have to be from an ipad? i can't find any videos or photos of the editor anywhere. would someone be so kind as to record a quick video showing the various parts of the editor? I saw Mr. Maddox briefly using the editor in a youtube video but it wasn't clear or long enough to discern crap.

i'm really considering pulling the trigger on the rack version but if I do I'll have to sell my Microwave 1 Rev A to help finance it.

it's either or, can't have both. would you sell the microwave 1 rev A to purchase the modal electronics 002R 12 voice unit? tough, tough choice.

Last edited by StephenWiley; 14th November 2015 at 12:59 PM..
Old 14th November 2015 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
so a question regarding the editor......can i use firefox to edit the synth or does it have to be from an ipad? i can't find any videos or photos of the editor anywhere.

Paul Maddox mentions in this video (2.35) any web page browsers will do, must like dialing into your router or NAS:

Yeh i want one too! you can email the company for the latest manual, I think they're reluctant to publish it on there website since the firmware is still under development.
Old 15th November 2015
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
This thing is pretty badass. Just got mine up and running. The string/pad sounds are phenomenal and the editor really isn't bad, especially the cloud feature to download patch banks from the internet. I'm not 100% on the modulation part of the editor, but I was up and running with it almost immediately. The software upgrade took longer than I was expecting though, and I thought maybe I was going to have a brick, so use patience there.
Old 15th November 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmfreeland ➑️
This thing is pretty badass. Just got mine up and running. The string/pad sounds are phenomenal and the editor really isn't bad, especially the cloud feature to download patch banks from the internet. I'm not 100% on the modulation part of the editor, but I was up and running with it almost immediately. The software upgrade took longer than I was expecting though, and I thought maybe I was going to have a brick, so use patience there.
Care to share some demos/tunes? I'm been close to buying this a few times, but went for some less expensive gear instead. But I definitely think the sound on this is phenomenal.
Old 15th November 2015 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmfreeland ➑️
Yep some demos if you can! Also how is it for editing? the front panel is so cut down from the keyboard edition, do you resort to the browser editor?
Old 2nd December 2015 | Show parent
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rids ➑️
Care to share some demos/tunes? I'm been close to buying this a few times, but went for some less expensive gear instead. But I definitely think the sound on this is phenomenal.
I will try and throw something together today. I've been out of town and I'm headed out again tomorrow morning, so it's today or bust.
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutSpace ➑️
Yep some demos if you can! Also how is it for editing? the front panel is so cut down from the keyboard edition, do you resort to the browser editor?
I've only used the web editor so far. I have a few rack synths and refuse to try and program anything from a front panel just for my own sanity! The web editor has been just fine. I'd give Elektron's Overbridge panel a significant bump for being VST and being a good deal slicker, but this has been good enough for me and I like the web functionality to download patches.
Old 2nd December 2015
Deleted 46dc28f
According to the other 002 thread, the web editer lacks control of the animator and is single-touch. 002 midi implementation is also a work in progress, so the 002r is lacking in the control department. Fact?
Old 2nd December 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I don't understand why they didn't make it a desktop? Not many companies are releasing new racks. Odd, unfortunate choice.

Goes from something I could be interested in to having no interest. Could've made it like the rackable Prophet 08 or if more space needed, the rackable Vermona Performer if having rack capability was such a priority. To me it seems they didn't do proper market research.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 46dc28f ➑️
According to the other 002 thread, the web editer lacks control of the animator and is single-touch. 002 midi implementation is also a work in progress, so the 002r is lacking in the control department. Fact?
The web editor CAN control the animator, In the other thread I said it could not be controlled by CC/NRPN messages.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by donato ➑️
I don't understand why they didn't make it a desktop? Not many companies are releasing new racks. Odd, unfortunate choice.

Goes from something I could be interested in to having no interest. Could've made it like the rackable Prophet 08 or if more space needed, the rackable Vermona Performer if having rack capability was such a priority. To me it seems they didn't do proper market research.
I'm guessing they were trying to hit a price point to meet the demand for a cheaper version, but the only way to really do this was by eliminating a lot of the switch gear (knobs and buttons) and going with a simple to implement design.

Sadly, putting a minimal set of controls in a box is a hell of a lot cheaper and easier than coming up with a new design for a tabletop implementation of the synth (even with one voice card less).

It's a shame because the 002r would be the perfect compliment to my Prophet 12, soundwise and the rack is considerably more affordable. But the 002r just doesn't look enjoyable to work with.
Deleted 46dc28f
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheDog ➑️
The web editor CAN control the animator, In the other thread I said it could not be controlled by CC/NRPN messages.
Gotcha.

Shame about the incomplete midi. Buying one before Modal finish this fundamental aspect isn't worth the risk.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:

I really like how the Modulus' NCO's also allow for wavetable usage. I own a microwave 1 and I'm a HUGE fan of the digital osc/analog filter design which is another reason this synth intrigues me!
I'm not sure what you're thinking but I was told by the developer that the NCOs have no wavetable like functionality at all. They sound great though. Way better than the Virus in the upper registers. The filter is also unique and amazing. I don't think you'll miss the Virus or Nord at all. Just make sure you pick up Discovery Pro and a good wavetable plug in and you'll be set.
Deleted 46dc28f
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing ➑️
I'm not sure what you're thinking but I was told by the developer that the NCOs have no wavetable like functionality at all. They sound great though. Way better than the Virus in the upper registers. The filter is also unique and amazing. I don't think you'll miss the Virus or Nord at all. Just make sure you pick up Discovery Pro and a good wavetable plug in and you'll be set.
Yep, just static waves, some borrowed from the PPG. It makes me think of a polyphonic OSC OSCar with PPG waves thrown in...The additive function of OSCar would be amazing on the 002.
Old 2nd December 2015
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I love my 002r and the sonics are great. Front panel editing is fine except the constant mode switching from "hover" mode.
I am new to web-based editing though I did like seeing the use of tablets. But being new, Indeed the kind of step-by-step that Maddox does not seem to want to provide , at least in the written manual ( see eg Roland's revised v synth manual they produced for V 2 of v synth one that is what the average musician would apprecite).
From what I can pick from this thread. 1. Turn on my 02r and write down the IP address that my Modal produces ( not sure whether its always there if I am hooked to the ethernet or I have to use the quickstart instructions). Once I HAVE that address, enter it in my Ipad browser? When my Ipad browser takes me to that address , then what?
Old 2nd December 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Then I guess the editor should appear, give it a try.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by e6400ultra ➑️
Gotcha.

Shame about the incomplete midi. Buying one before Modal finish this fundamental aspect isn't worth the risk.
Yep it is a shame about the midi, my guess is that they went for CCs instead of NRPN and they just couldn't fit everything in.

If they had a full midi implementation and also the ability to request all params via midi I would buy the 002R now.

So I am left with the idea of an 002 keyboard or maybe a 001/002R combination when they get the clustering sorted out. Neither of these is as "cheap" as the 002R on it's own so I am now beginning to think the outlay is a bit much for me which is a shame as I love the sound of them.
Deleted 46dc28f
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheDog ➑️

If they had a full midi implementation and also the ability to request all params via midi I would buy the 002R now.
Same.
πŸ“ Reply