Quantcast
RC-505 Sync Issues in Slave Mode? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
RC-505 Sync Issues in Slave Mode?
Old 25th September 2015
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
RC-505 Sync Issues in Slave Mode?

First time poster here. Help would be greatly appreciated.

My RC-505 Looper is in slave mode to my JD-Xi Synth. When recording a track (vocals) on the 505 while the JD-Xi is playing, the 505 slowly falls out of time with the JD-Xi.

This only happens when the track record function is enabled (on the 505). When you stop recording, the rhythm click on the 505 immediately syncs back up. However, the track/vocal that was just recorded was recorded to the mis-timed clock, so it does not line up on playback.

On playback, turning Loop Sync ON (on the 505) forces the track to be in correct time (i.e syncs the track back to the proper JD-Xi time), but this creates awful jittering/stuttering/wavering. When loop sync is turned OFF, the stuttering disappears, but then the vocals fall out of time, as they were recorded to the out of time clock from 505.

Can anybody help?

Thanks!

P.S: I came across this in an old thread but no one replied to it and I have not been able to find further info on if/how the issue was resolved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ze boemio ➡️
Bom dia communidade,

So, I'm trying to do a basic master/slave midiclock thang from the VS(master) to the RC(slave). Have had major issues with the RC failing to sync up, tempo wise, was going loco on me. Then, after much back and forth with the Roland guy(s), email tag, I finally figured out on my own that you had to exercise a few Assign settings to get the thing to sync up well. One problem still, though. Let's say I record some looped tracks--a 'phrase'[email protected], say, 100 BPMs on the RC. I set the tempo map on the VS to 100, same time sig. When I midi the 2 up, the RC internal tempo changes from, say, 100 BPM to 101.1 BPMs, and slight variations to that. That is, the RC is at 100, the Roland is at 100. I set the the RC to 'Auto' midi sync and the VS with it's proper midiclock master settings, and the RC tracks at anywhere from 100.1 to 101.7 BPMs. That is, when I change the RC back to 'Internal' clock, it has changed to ~101 BPMs, etc.
Old 26th September 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I can tell you that previous Roland loopers only want to be master, for whatever reason, and Roland won't do anything about that. I wouldn't be surprised if the 505 is the same way, even if they say it isn't. Did you try making the 505 master?
Old 26th September 2015
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Maybe ask over on the VG forum? It's not very active, but you may get a response. http://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?board=38.0

They definitely do work as slaves, Roland is not lying about it, why would they?

Here's a quote from a user:
"I've been working with the Boss RC-505 for about a week now and I'm very impressed by it. So much so that I actually bought another one here in Japan. My current setup is one Boss RC-300 Master connected to two RC-505 slaves. I have found that the RC300 works best ( if not only best ) as a Master. The two RC-505 loopers can work well either as a Master or Slave. Tempo sync works awesome. "
Old 26th September 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymos ➡️
Maybe ask over on the VG forum? It's not very active, but you may get a response. Other Loopers

They definitely do work as slaves, Roland is not lying about it, why would they?

Here's a quote from a user:
"I've been working with the Boss RC-505 for about a week now and I'm very impressed by it. So much so that I actually bought another one here in Japan. My current setup is one Boss RC-300 Master connected to two RC-505 slaves. I have found that the RC300 works best ( if not only best ) as a Master. The two RC-505 loopers can work well either as a Master or Slave. Tempo sync works awesome. "
I dunno, why would Roland make something that can't be a MIDI slave in the last couple decades? Some weird bugs with the RC300 (not including lack of MIDI slave functionality) that I have reported to Roland, brushed off as "functions as intended." For example, if you plug in the RC300 to your computer via USB to backup your data, when you unplug it all of the tempo data is reset on all of your patches (on the RC300 itself) back to the original tempo of the loops (as opposed to if you made it faster or slower).

And so on..

My point is, why it wouldn't seem out of character for them, IMHO.
Old 2nd November 2016
Here for the gear

Hey guys, not sure if this thread is still going but I had similar issues with the RC 505 as a slave to a TR8 drum machine. Glitches in the audio which sounded like the unit was having to time stretch to fit the tempo. I looked it up on the BOSS support page and found:

"Occasionally when syncing the RC-5050 with external MIDI devices, it’s useful to turn off the Tempo Sync feature of the RC-505. Especially if you’re getting strange artifacts in the audio due to it being stretched to fit a certain tempo."

I turned of tempo sync on all the tracks and it sorted the issue
Old 2nd November 2016
Gear Addict

Thanks for pointing this out! I was interested in picking one of these up. Now I am not. I hope your problems get resolved!
Old 23rd March 2017
Here for the gear

Here is a brand new sync issue that I've never experienced. It happened to me AT THE BEGINNING OF A SHOW LAST NIGHT and I'm still quite shaken from it.

Basically, I perform using Traktor and send the midi master clock to the RC-505 (as slave) and loop live percussion and keys over a DJ set. I know how to setup the midi sync properly as my entire set hinges on this basic function. However, for some reason last night the RC-505 WOULD NOT RECOGNIZE the incoming midi clock.

So now I'm standing there with a bunch of gear, which won't sync properly. I quickly did a factory reset (but not memory wipe since I have a bunch of stuff stored in the pedal). Nothing. Changed USB cords (I carry extras because I'm prepared for most things) still NOTHING. I mixed into a song on my phone, flawlessly and frantically set about restarting my computer, and running a quick disk utility check. Re-booted Traktor, re-booted the 505 and !!!!! NOTHING !!!

I know the clock send function is working in Traktor, because as I re-booted, I tested by midi-syncing to Ableton, just to be sure. I know it's something in the pedal.

This has worked for me enough that I've built an entire project around it, and now I feel like there's a gremlin in there. I'm not saying I wouldn't recommend the 505. As multi-channel midi capable loopers go, this has been the most functional one I've used (and I've used them all). But I'm sure those of you who perform live with these things have had similar hiccups which cause your world to crumble around you, sending you into a mad-scramble to solve a problem you've never encountered.

Whew... That's my first post here. Glad to find a proper thread to put this in. If anyone has further midi-sync experience PLEASE write about it. There's a disturbing LACK of midi-sync content specific to the 505.
Old 2nd May 2017
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
If I turn off tempo sync wont that defeat the purpose of trying to sync it to midi?
Old 7th July 2017
Here for the gear

how can i sync my rc 505 with my ableton please help , master or slave doesnst matter, ableton doenst even recognize my rc 505 , u use usb cable, i dont have one but should i use midi usb cable ?
Old 14th December 2017
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
So does the 505 timestretch effectively while midi synced to an external clock source?? And if so can you change the bpm in realtime from the clock source and the 505 stay in sync??

I have found a few people ask this question on a few forums and no one ever specifically answers the question...I have had a look at the manual and even though I think it may sync I don't know if it will stay in sync if the bpm is changed in realtime.
Old 13th April 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbetty88 ➡️
So does the 505 timestretch effectively while midi synced to an external clock source?? And if so can you change the bpm in realtime from the clock source and the 505 stay in sync??

I have found a few people ask this question on a few forums and no one ever specifically answers the question...I have had a look at the manual and even though I think it may sync I don't know if it will stay in sync if the bpm is changed in realtime.

I got an RC-202 and also noticed the artifacts while it slaved to TR-8. TR-8 clock is all over the place and is well documented; it varies +-2BPM initally if you watch it on slaved Ableton Live and then +-.1 once it settles. Since i found TR-8's clock to be the culprit i use Live's clock to sync all gear IN THE STUDIO as its rock solid compared to any other ACB roland hardware i own and tested with the exception of my old trusted MC-909 (its right on the money). If you want to get rid of the artifacts use a steady clock source as the time stretch feature in these RC loopers simply does not work (my MC-909 slider works GREAT!). If you dont want to use the laptop as the clock source you MUST obtain a good global clock module. i guess there is a reason why roland made SBX-1($400!!!) and made all other AIRA/boutique clocks to run like sh*t. I dont have the SBX-1 so i can not recommend it.
Old 16th October 2018 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:

I use two 505´s and found this thread due to the sound artifact issues im having. i thought one of my machines was broken for the last year, shows how much i know about midi.

THe moment i change the bpm on the master the slave follows and i dont see why it should be any different if the master was another machine. very responsive
Old 16th October 2018 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixeltarian ➡️
If I turn off tempo sync wont that defeat the purpose of trying to sync it to midi?
no because you have loop quantize, you would just need to set the tempos of both machines to internal but they would still be starting and stopping and running at the same time but not needing to communicate bpm through midi. this is why i found this page and now im happy my idea to not synch the tempo is the right one, just ran out of steam today so gonna try it tomorrow
Old 22nd November 2018
Here for the gear

Can anybody give an advice how you manage to make 505 work as midi slave from Traktor or Ableton? It never worked, whatever I tried. Only as master.
Old 17th February 2019 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamango ➡️
Can anybody give an advice how you manage to make 505 work as midi slave from Traktor or Ableton? It never worked, whatever I tried. Only as master.
Syncing to Ableton is in fact easy .. Go to your System in the 505 settings and use the arrows until you see SYS: Midi Sync... set this one to "Auto" then hitthe arrows again one position further to Sys: Midi SyncSrc there you can select if you want to sync it over USB or Midi (the DIN plugs) ... In your DAW in your case then Ableton activate the send Midi clock and do all the settings you want to do.. I am a Cubase user but i know in Ableton you can even adjust delay for sending Midi clock in case you are having light issues...

And i wanted to mention, that TEMPO SYNC is not Midi Clock... If you are having Tempo Sync ON on your 505 and its in slave mode then you can get glitches because tempo sync does the 505 make timestretching... Thats why Roland recomends to use the 505 as master.. I have Tempo sync off on each track and it works without any glitch...
Old 26th February 2019 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ionic_Benton ➡️
Syncing to Ableton is in fact easy .. Go to your System in the 505 settings and use the arrows until you see SYS: Midi Sync... set this one to "Auto" then hitthe arrows again one position further to Sys: Midi SyncSrc there you can select if you want to sync it over USB or Midi (the DIN plugs) ... In your DAW in your case then Ableton activate the send Midi clock and do all the settings you want to do.. I am a Cubase user but i know in Ableton you can even adjust delay for sending Midi clock in case you are having light issues...

And i wanted to mention, that TEMPO SYNC is not Midi Clock... If you are having Tempo Sync ON on your 505 and its in slave mode then you can get glitches because tempo sync does the 505 make timestretching... Thats why Roland recomends to use the 505 as master.. I have Tempo sync off on each track and it works without any glitch...
Just to confirm you have the 505 as slave, midi synced and tempo sync off and no sound glitches?
Old 26th February 2019 | Show parent
Quote:
Just to confirm you have the 505 as slave, midi synced and tempo sync off and no sound glitches?
yes and also set Loop sync off on each track in the rc505 because if not then the following track after the 1 is otherwise trying to sync to the main.. wich causes glitches as well... I have everything off even quantize... Now its not doing any glitch.. Sure you need to play for example drums in a very tight exact tempo then butt the glitches are gone. Only thing what i am dealing with is the midi clock (it recives midi clock over Midi but always hints behind ..thats mostly a problem with internal things going on on the computer especially on windows computers..) But i solved this with an E-RM Multiclock Box.. now it works all tight with my Cubase 9.5 and all my other Gear..
Old 10th March 2019 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ionic_Benton ➡️
yes and also set Loop sync off on each track in the rc505 because if not then the following track after the 1 is otherwise trying to sync to the main.. wich causes glitches as well... I have everything off even quantize... Now its not doing any glitch.. Sure you need to play for example drums in a very tight exact tempo then butt the glitches are gone. Only thing what i am dealing with is the midi clock (it recives midi clock over Midi but always hints behind ..thats mostly a problem with internal things going on on the computer especially on windows computers..) But i solved this with an E-RM Multiclock Box.. now it works all tight with my Cubase 9.5 and all my other Gear..
Ahh yes I have an e-rm multiclock as my master myself and it hasn't skipped a beat.
I'm all hardware and am looking to add a rc505. Have a few questions if I may..How does the midi sync actually work with the rc505? Would it be that the unit is synced to the bpm of the e-rm multiclock you just have to start each loop in time with the beat and then you can fade it in and out etc?
Old 6th September 2019 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Here is the link to the official Roland support page regarding this issue:-

RC-505: Turning Off Tempo Sync When MIDI Sync'ing With External Devices

https://rolandus.zendesk.com/hc/en-u...ternal-Devices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycophile ➡️
Hey guys, not sure if this thread is still going but I had similar issues with the RC 505 as a slave to a TR8 drum machine. Glitches in the audio which sounded like the unit was having to time stretch to fit the tempo. I looked it up on the BOSS support page and found:

"Occasionally when syncing the RC-5050 with external MIDI devices, it’s useful to turn off the Tempo Sync feature of the RC-505. Especially if you’re getting strange artifacts in the audio due to it being stretched to fit a certain tempo."

I turned of tempo sync on all the tracks and it sorted the issue
📝 Reply