The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Novation Circuit
Old 23rd January 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.I. Batule Chee ➡️
If I’m understanding correctly, then why don’t you record them as a loop sample on the MPC instead of MIDI? Then you can trigger it along with the circuit playing.
1) I want to save my sample memory for other things.
2) I am only using the circuit to compose the sequence as writing step time notes on it is a doddle. Then I use the circuit for other things (for example I might write the bassline on the circuit then record it into the MPC sequencer then get the Shruthi to actually play it). I can then ditch that sequence on the circuit. The circuit plays along nicely the recording is only during composing.
Old 6th April 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

i own Circuit for 3 days and absolutely loving it.

very powerful machine, and LOTS of hidden capabilities in MIDI implementation.

in particular, even „replace current patch“ SysEx message is there, so i already have plans to use Axoloti as unlimited external patch storage.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaocrator ➡️
i own Circuit for 3 days and absolutely loving it.

very powerful machine, and LOTS of hidden capabilities in MIDI implementation.

in particular, even „replace current patch“ SysEx message is there, so i already have plans to use Axoloti as unlimited external patch storage.
To look at it you wouldn't think so, but it's a true gem, isn't it.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricera ➡️
To look at it you wouldn't think so, but it's a true gem, isn't it.
once you replace factory pack of samples & patches with free Team Novation Circuit pack — it starts to shine

maybe it's just me, but i found Factory pack boring. but after installing Team pack and watching one random introductory tutorial on youtube, i immediately had 3-hour jam.
Deleted e26361f
I like the look of these, but are they likely to update it soon with a Circuit 2?

It seem like it must have been a fairly good seller for them and it's 5 years old now.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonator ➡️
I like the look of these, but are they likely to update it soon with a Circuit 2?

It seem like it must have been a fairly good seller for them and it's 5 years old now.
There was a discussion (earlier in this thread?) about what would make a good version 2 and I for one couldn't think of much. The only things I'd like are the ability to apply different FX presets to different tracks and 64 steps per pattern.
Lives for gear

and sub-oscillator for synth engine.
Lives for gear

what i forgot to say is that i rate Circuit's user interface as 13 of 10.
Deleted 6fe7d4e
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted e26361f ➡️
Maybe not after the Circuit Mono Station tanked.
Deleted e26361f
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 6fe7d4e ➡️
Hmm, yeah, that looks like a piece of junk.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Best synth I own. I would sell my circuit but i dont think i will ever get rid of the mono station.
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 6fe7d4e ➡️
Did it?
I quite like it, but I must admit that I only bought it after the price was reduced for black friday last year.
Old 7th April 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Junk? Not even...

Deleted 6fe7d4e
Quote:
Originally Posted by omnibrain ➡️
Did it?
I quite like it, but I must admit that I only bought it after the price was reduced
The Mono is still shown on the company website but is no longer for sale in the US.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Also, finally got around to updating the MS to 1.2. Was pleasantly suprise with the added functions.

Old 9th April 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

maybe i'm a bit late to the party with this, but whatever.

it's known that Circuit has the same Nova engine as [Mini|Ultra]Nova, but when it comes to the question what exactly engine features are available or cut down in Circuit comparing to [Mini|Ultra]Nova, it's not that easy to figure it out.

so i've made a Circuit vs MiniNova comparison table, based on their MIDI implementations. and since Novation style of MIDI implementation offers control for every engine parameter available, i believe it's very precise.

can be useful for those who wonder what about patch compatibility [spoiler: not so much], what parameters described in MiniNova user manual are relevant for Ciruit, etc etc.

bonus: attached PDF is importable to / editable in LibreOffice.
Attached Files
Old 27th April 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Just found 3 new Circuit packs if you log in to Components (I don't remember seeing them there last week): Blank For.ms, Shawn Rudiman and Ali the Architect. New samples, sessions and patches to play with if you want.

Also a good time to remind y'all of Loopop's cool downloadable session that lets you play samples chromatically. Been having fun with this for a couple of years.

EDIT: Looks like the session is now behind his Patreon. But looks like you can join for $1 then immediately cancel to get the session.

Not affiliated with Novation or Loopop. Just sharing news.
Old 3rd June 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by robotunes ➡️
Just found 3 new Circuit packs if you log in to Components (I don't remember seeing them there last week): Blank For.ms, Shawn Rudiman and Ali the Architect. New samples, sessions and patches to play with if you want.
I saw those too! Tried the one from Shawn Rudiman, pretty nice! It is a shame that Novation can't use a "macro convention" or at least publish the list macros used in every patch bank. I know each of us can do it but it would be helpful anyway.
Old 18th June 2020 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaocrator ➡️
and sub-oscillator for synth engine.
You can pitch one of the oscillators down though, right?
Old 18th June 2020
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quick question for you Circuit freaks. Now that you can preview the "drum" samples without sequencing them (and/or record sample flipping automation), is it possible to use the drum parts as sample-based instruments?

Say I want to load 32 pitched kalimba samples into drum parts 1/2. Are there any roadblocks to doing this? And do I now have 2 synth parts, a kalimba, and drum parts 3/4 to play with?

Thanks!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Accompianist ➡️
Quick question for you Circuit freaks. Now that you can preview the "drum" samples without sequencing them (and/or record sample flipping automation), is it possible to use the drum parts as sample-based instruments?

Say I want to load 32 pitched kalimba samples into drum parts 1/2. Are there any roadblocks to doing this? And do I now have 2 synth parts, a kalimba, and drum parts 3/4 to play with?

Thanks!
That will work, and you will have 2 synth parts, a kalimba and drum parts on 3/4.

Or, you can download loopop's session that automatically pitches any sample. So you could go to town like this:

The session used to be readily downloadable but loopop has put it behind his Patreon account. He said in the video's comments that one could subscribe to his Patreon for $1, download the Circuit session, then immediately cancel.

I got it years ago when it was still readily downloadable and can enthusiastically vouch for it.
Lives for gear

Quote:
You can pitch one of the oscillators down though, right?
right.
but sub-oscillator sounds different — it thickens the sound of its master oscillator and adds subharmonics instead of shifting the whole harmonic spectre down.
Gear Nut

Quote:

Thanks!
All drum parts draw from the same pool of samples, so providing you have enough space left after your Kalimba hits, it's well doable. Pitching samples accurately with the macros can be a little finnicky, but is easy enough with a little patience. You could probably knock up a loopop style template that uses a few more sampled notes fairly quickly.

Only had the Circuit a couple of months, and am finding it surprisingly versatile. There are some obvious limits when you start pushing it, but in general it's managed one version or another of anything I've asked of it.

I've had field recording edits for ambient and noise in there. Brass hits and Reggae samples for dubby stuff. Real drums for dodgy Fusion vamps

The synths are decent. Good for pads and FX, chord stab type stuff. Even a bit of faux generative atonal weirdness. Far from the greatest VA/Wavetable engine out there, but not bad at all if you're happy to dig into the editor.

It's the most intuitive and fun groovebox I've used, and an instrument in itself. It's also easy to jam out the basis of a track with it, record it all via midi, then multitrack it back in with external FX. Then it really can start sounding pretty good. In these respects, it's functional limitations are mitigated by how naturally it lends itself to different stages of production. Laze around sketching tracks with it, general use in a rig, hooked up with controllers and a DAW. Easy and quick to configure.

It's made me wish I got back into hardware earlier! Incredible what you can get for relatively little cash these days.

That's my super late to the party, mini review anyway
Old 19th June 2020 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by robotunes ➡️
That will work, and you will have 2 synth parts, a kalimba and drum parts on 3/4.

Or, you can download loopop's session that automatically pitches any sample. So you could go to town like this:

The session used to be readily downloadable but loopop has put it behind his Patreon account. He said in the video's comments that one could subscribe to his Patreon for $1, download the Circuit session, then immediately cancel.

I got it years ago when it was still readily downloadable and can enthusiastically vouch for it.
I'm not 100% sure what's actually happening under the hood (I've got a Circuit headed my way), but it's hard to argue with the results. Is there any downside to loopop's approach?
Old 19th June 2020
Gear Nut

@Accompianist ;- It's basically an empty session apart from one of the drum tracks, which has some pitch automation/parameter locks applied to a sample on a series of steps. When you change sample on that track, the pitch information remains, hence it's a nifty template for tuned samples.

On the Circuit, the sample channels are arranged in pairs, and you can see both sequences in either pair at once (two orange tracks or two yellow tracks). The sequence with the pitch information is muted in the mixer (but you can still trigger the pads to audition) and he's copying which notes he wants to the other sequence track, which is set to the same sample.

You more or less sacrifice a drum track as a repository for your pitched samples. You can also only use them on that specific pair of tracks, as there's no way to copy between pairs. You're also stuck to the scales/keys delineated by the note information chosen. To transpose, you'd have to rewrite some or all of the data.

It's a great system if you want to get going quickly though, but if you're happy to spend the sample space, putting even just two or three triads or a scale in there as samples instead is also very workable. Then, you can transpose all samples on that track at once with one knob to fit in key.
Old 2nd December 2020 | Show parent
Deleted 77bb3b5
Sound design with Circuit livestream from Novation, in case anybody would be interested... Live now

Old 1st April 2022 | Show parent
M32
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Question to Circuit Rythm owners: can patterns have lengths like 3, 5 or 7 steps?
Old 1st April 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by M32 ➡️
Question to Circuit Rythm owners: can patterns have lengths like 3, 5 or 7 steps?
Yes. Anything between 1 and 32.
Old 5th April 2022 | Show parent
Here for the gear

I've just released 128 new patches for Novation Circuit and Novation Circuit Tracks. For fans of Boards of Canada, Tycho, Tame Impala etc. Here's the demo video. Enjoy!

📝 Reply