The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Gear thread - Pics of your setups
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Wow. Really cool setups.

This photo got some weeks, I got some new gear already, will post an update soon.
Old 3 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Digital ➡️
Wow. Really cool setups.

This photo got some weeks, I got some new gear already, will post an update soon.
Very cool!

What is the dark blue thing in the top left corner?
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevism ➡️
Very cool!

What is the dark blue thing in the top left corner?
Thanks!

It's a Novation Nova https://www.vintagesynth.com/novation/nova.php
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Very cool, thanks!

I love my ultranova, never got a chance to play its predecessors

Last edited by Stevism; 3 days ago at 06:49 PM..
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Wow. Really cool setups.

Lovely setup!

What is the name of this stand?
Looking for a serious update and that looks like what I need.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
How do you like the KT PEQ? Do you use it in a specific or special application?
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrg1995 ➡️
Lovely setup!

What is the name of this stand?
Looking for a serious update and that looks like what I need.
Thanks. It's a Jaspers https://www.jaspers-alu.de/aid-357-KR170-4-150B.html I'm really happy with it. Very sturdy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgilroy ➡️
How do you like the KT PEQ? Do you use it in a specific or special application?
I use the high shelf to make the mix a bit warmer. I'll likely buy a second one soon.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Maniac

5 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
My little slice of heaven

Yeah here is my slice of heaven, the gear to the right which is groove boxes and a Korg Karma are eventually going to be gone. I really love working in the box and vst's to me is the only way to go. Waaay cheaper than filling your studio with gear that is eventually going to break down and be un repairable in the future.
Attached Thumbnails
Gear thread - Pics of your setups-studio1.png   Gear thread - Pics of your setups-studio2.png   Gear thread - Pics of your setups-studio3.png  

Last edited by ZipSnipe; 2 days ago at 01:12 PM.. Reason: to remove pic
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
What is that blue room? Looks awesome
Old 2 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevism ➡️
What is that blue room? Looks awesome
Don't ask questions about things you aren't prepared to hear the answer for.

We don't talk about the blue room.
Gear Addict

Quote:
Wow. Really cool setups.

Looks good and that takes a bit of work to get those arm bars placed and spaced properly for particular pieces of gear.
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorian ➡️
Looks good and that takes a bit of work to get those arm bars placed and spaced properly for particular pieces of gear.
It takes some time to get the angle correct, depends on how much you OCD about it

I've seen a setup on reddit with wood planks. Looks good and maybe less expensive than all the holders I purchased.

With some effort you can even place 19" in the "normal holders"

but there's a 6/12U addon https://www.thomann.de/intl/jaspers_...set_12_u_b.htm

I'm adding a new level to it, will share update soon.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by APM8306 ➡️
Currently:

Could I ask, what is the unit you are using to hold the MX1 vertically?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:

I use the high shelf to make the mix a bit warmer. I'll likely buy a second one soon.
Nice. Not employing the Pultec-low-end trick? That was a reason I was looking into getting them.
Old 1 day ago | Show parent
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat ➡️
Could I ask, what is the unit you are using to hold the MX1 vertically?
Not sure which you mean, there's no mx1.

The 2 vertical mounted are a tr8s and a hapax. There both mounted in vest mounts using vesa clamps (rather than screwed on to vest mounting plates).
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by APM8306 ➡️
Not sure which you mean, there's no mx1.

The 2 vertical mounted are a tr8s and a hapax. There both mounted in vest mounts using vesa clamps (rather than screwed on to vest mounting plates).
Thank you

Sorry, yes, I mistook the TR8s for an MX1 as the look similar from a distance.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipSnipe ➡️
Yeah here is my slice of heaven, the gear to the right which is groove boxes and a Korg Karma are eventually going to be gone.
I hear you. Taking the same approach here. Did you use the Karma and Groovebox as idea generators or ear candy/ development? I did that for a while with the Oberheim Cyclone and Drummer. Tried Strummer but felt like even my limited skill on guitar was more useful for composition than that box. But there are much better ways to do that in software these days. Although I kinda wish someone should expand on the Cyclone, if nothing else give it a better UI!
Gear Maniac

5 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomás Mulcahy ➡️
I hear you. Taking the same approach here. Did you use the Karma and Groovebox as idea generators or ear candy/ development? I did that for a while with the Oberheim Cyclone and Drummer. Tried Strummer but felt like even my limited skill on guitar was more useful for composition than that box. But there are much better ways to do that in software these days. Although I kinda wish someone should expand on the Cyclone, if nothing else give it a better UI!
To be honest, for a long time I didn't know which direction I would go. Compose on the grooveboxes or the daw? But the daw won, it had the power and ease I needed to get what I wanted to make out. The Karma I had always wanted it since it came out but was disappointed once I got it, its got great sounds but they too disorganized. I haven't turned it on in months same with the grooveboxes. I thought maybe I would end up using the sp808's for looping. But still the daw just wins hands down.

I also went from preset guy to making my own sounds and am soo mad I didn't do that earlier in life. I almost started to buy more hardware synths(Moog and Dave Smith stuff) but realized I will save thousands of dollars just using VST's..hell this free one called Apricot is just phenomenal !!
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by StepLogik ➡️
There's a technique called "retrobrite" ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retr0bright ) that can be used to whiten yellowed plastics. There are various methods, but they typically involve some combination of hydrogen peroxide, heat, or UV light.

I've used it a couple of times to whiten yellowed keys on my "crap key" boards and it has worked well.
does it work on teeth?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac_music ➡️
does it work on teeth?

If they're plastic!
Gear Addict

Quote:
Yeah here is my slice of heaven, the gear to the right which is groove boxes and a Korg Karma are eventually going to be gone. I really love working in the box and vst's to me is the only way to go. Waaay cheaper than filling your studio with gear that is eventually going to break down and be un repairable in the future.
Nice setup! Don't see too many Korg Karmas. Was my first purchase and kept it about 12 years before selling. Don't miss it per se except the fact it was my first piece of gear but definitely looked cool and had some charm to it. Acoustic sounds aren't very good buy synthetic basses, pads and some of the leads are excellent. Seems like I miss every piece of gear at least a little for nostalgic reasons and sometimes the resale value doesn't make selling it worth it.

Much bigger regret was selling my Motif ES6...good sounding and amazing build quality that wouod probably last 30+ years. Should've probably kept my MPC1000 too but didn't like having to repair tact switches that would wear out. Also miss the tank like build quality of my Event Ezbus which was my first mixer and audio interface. Talk about abandoned usb hardware with so much lost potential! Should've just kept it though as a line mixer just in case as I didn't need the $90 I got for it. Sold bc I couldn't justify keeping either bc I have an Allen and Heath Zedi10 and the extra desk space was nice.
Gear Addict

Quote:
To be honest, for a long time I didn't know which direction I would go. Compose on the grooveboxes or the daw? But the daw won, it had the power and ease I needed to get what I wanted to make out. The Karma I had always wanted it since it came out but was disappointed once I got it, its got great sounds but they too disorganized. I haven't turned it on in months same with the grooveboxes. I thought maybe I would end up using the sp808's for looping. But still the daw just wins hands down.

I also went from preset guy to making my own sounds and am soo mad I didn't do that earlier in life. I almost started to buy more hardware synths(Moog and Dave Smith stuff) but realized I will save thousands of dollars just using VST's..hell this free one called Apricot is just phenomenal !!
Agree on the economics of software being far better generally and can definitely relate to this 'journey' and am always torn bc hardware is great for creation and immediacy(and limitations) but then it typically slows down actual project completion vs starting itb to begin with. (Also agree about the Karmas lack of sound organization being a drawback-had to scroll around forever).

Think thats why many of us do a hybrid approach where you have a couple scratchpad hardware pieces for sketching but the DAW and vsts take over for convenience, recall, cost and variety. I like the limitations of hardware for creating but ultimately DAWs and VSTs make everything quicker and limitless, for better and worse.

There's no right or wrong approach and I constantly go back and forth adjusting, learning and just trying to find the perfect balance which can take years. Option paralysis of software is a very real issue for me but having racks of incredible virtual instruments and effects for pennies on the dollar is equally amazing! Going in and just turning on a hardware synth and jamming for half an hour without having to update some licenser or Daw is so inspiring too. We definitely live in good times regardless to have all these options available!
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years

Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by St Thomas ➡️
Nice setup! Don't see too many Korg Karmas. Was my first purchase and kept it about 12 years before selling. Don't miss it per se except the fact it was my first piece of gear but definitely looked cool and had some charm to it. Acoustic sounds aren't very good buy synthetic basses, pads and some of the leads are excellent. Seems like I miss every piece of gear at least a little for nostalgic reasons and sometimes the resale value doesn't make selling it worth it.
This is pretty much my take as well. The Korg Karma was my first "workstation" board. I wasn't completely sold on the idea but wanted to give it a shot since I was always (to this day) reluctant to get a computer involved in my studio for actual creative work. The Karma GEs were interesting and occasionally inspiring. I remember liking some of the organs and pianos for deep house tracks. What I didn't like was the sequencer and it really put me off after the quick workflow of my MMT-8's.

I've been using Roland Fantom workstations ever since (X6, G6, and now Fantom 6).
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by flat ➡️
Maybe thats why my Jupiter 6 keys are still bright white. Its much further away from the sun
well played :D
we used to write "sigworthy"
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonF ➡️

ok you killed the game, we can close the topic guys
Old 23 hours ago | Show parent
Old 22 hours ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Where do those wooden RD-8 sidepanels come from. They look sweet!
Old 21 hours ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuse ➡️
Where do those wooden RD-8 sidepanels come from. They look sweet!
It's a custom job. Pretty simple stuff.
Old 19 hours ago | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonF ➡️
It's a custom job. Pretty simple stuff.
Your Room is wonderful. I love the black C15...
One question...What are you using more; The Moog One or the OBX8 and what do you think about the Third Wave in comparsion to the Iridium Keyboard?

Thx
📝 Reply