The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Genesis The Making of the Mama Album
Old 5th June 2015
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Genesis The Making of the Mama Album

Wow awesome everything here, including them sampling a ringing telephone into an Emulator.

Old 5th June 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Enjoyed alot.
thank you~
Old 5th June 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
yeh thx for sharing, good watching so far ...like how they've configured the space they're working in; looks great
Old 5th June 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
fantastic.. thank you for posting this. never knew this footage existed.

what a trip down memory lane listening to those tracks in the making. and it was great to see the workflow in recording such a complex album with 1983 technology.
Old 5th June 2015
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Never liked what they put out after Duke (though I never missed them in concert), but this is pretty cool.
Old 5th June 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Fantastic! Thanks for sharing this.

One of my favourite albums.
Old 6th June 2015
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Its fantastic to see a bunch of really great actual MUSICIANS who could write, play, and sing music based on more than cowboy chords or yelling on top of a drum machine except of course this video seems to be mostly about them standing/sitting around talking. Too bad the Mama material is not exactly Foxtrot or Nursery Cryme - now THAT would be a video. You know there's this one I think its called "Genesis - a band in concert" its live and looks to be right after Peter Gabriel left. I saw it about 1 million years ago in tea-land with some long hair dirtheads who were into rok if memory serves but I also seem to remember it being really damn good - YMWV if you can find it.

Just looked - I think this is it:
OMG WITH BILL F-ING BRUFORD - dang.

Last edited by shreddoggie; 6th June 2015 at 01:38 AM..
Old 6th June 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddoggie ➑️
I saw it about 1 million years ago in tea-land
Wow. You went all the way to China to see them? That's dedication.
Old 6th June 2015
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Tea-land is a derogatory term for the United Kingdom or at least England tho I hesitate to mention it since it is all in good fun - don't want any of you blokes eating your toad in the hole (wot) with yer auntie to get your knickers in a twist over it - sorry lads. I am sorry about Sid as much as the rest of you are - poor lad.
Back to the colonies now...
USA USA USA
Old 6th June 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks - enjoyed that, but the one thing that stood out over the short cut of sampling into the emulator ... is what a complete dick Tony Banks can be
Deleted 8dcaace
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_Jezz ➑️
Thanks - enjoyed that, but the one thing that stood out over the short cut of sampling into the emulator ... is what a complete dick Tony Banks can be
Yeah. Considering he always seems to be 'the quiet one' after seeing the recent documentary Where they reunited he seems to be the tyrant of the group and I wonder if Gabriel and Hackett left because of him? There seemed to be some unsaid 'read between the lines' comments and body language in that recent doc.

Love the thumping LM-1 rhythm of the title track (reminiscent of Gary Numan's track I, Assassin from the year before).
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Tea-land is a derogatory term for the United Kingdom or at least England tho I hesitate to mention it since it is all in good fun - don't want any of you blokes eating your toad in the hole (wot) with yer auntie to get your knickers in a twist over it - sorry lads. I am sorry about Sid as much as the rest of you are - poor lad.
Back to the colonies now...
USA USA USA
Just for the record ..I think I can safely speak for the other 60 million...us true Brits are immune to derogatory comments ..call us whatever you like because we are secure in who we are as a nation so let rip ...its of no consequence.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman666 ➑️
Just for the record ..I think I can safely speak for the other 60 million...us true Brits are immune to derogatory comments ..call us whatever you like because we are secure in who we are as a nation so let rip ...its of no consequence.
OK - you're bunch of knobheads ...

- don't delete me, I'm from the UK (Brit Humour)!
Old 7th June 2015
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I think the proper term is knob-end. People on GS can be such sensitive babies, I was just making it EXTRA CLEAR that I was just taking a piss as y'all say.

When I lived in England I sat next to a young Scottsman in school, he smelled like (his own) urine, sang "Oh flower of Scotland" under his breath, drew pictures of the Scotaland team in his notebook (special attention to Jock Stein) and called me 'Yankee Dog' - no joke. I must admit not being too sensitive about it, probably because it was actually hilarious...
Old 7th June 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I think the proper term is knob-end.
It's knobhead where I come from, unless you really mean knob-end - and that's quite a different thing altogether Never been to Scotaland. All taken in good humour dude

Anyway ... back to Genesis ...
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I think the proper term is knob-end. People on GS can be such sensitive babies, I was just making it EXTRA CLEAR that I was just taking a piss as y'all say.

When I lived in England I sat next to a young Scottsman in school, he smelled like (his own) urine, sang "Oh flower of Scotland" under his breath, drew pictures of the Scotaland team in his notebook (special attention to Jock Stein) and called me 'Yankee Dog' - no joke. I must admit not being too sensitive about it, probably because it was actually hilarious...
Technically, there's knob head, and bell end. Knob end works however, and I shall introduce into my vocabulary forthwith.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubase ➑️
Technically, there's knob head, and bell end. Knob end works however, and I shall introduce into my vocabulary forthwith.
Hahahaha bro - I meant to write bell-end but somehow dyslexified it. There is a famous American ball player named Yogi Berra (if you don't know him) who was notorious for mixing things up in hilarious ways:

"Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded"

Anyone care about those Genesis flix by the way? I feel like this thread has been hijacked - inspired, I found this - very good:

Old 8th June 2015 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_Jezz ➑️
OK - you're bunch of knobheads ...

- don't delete me, I'm from the UK (Brit Humour)!

Ah ...you mean Bob the knob!
Old 9th June 2015
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Long time Genesis fan here. I hate to admit it but I find Mike Rutherford's lead/rhythm guitar playing mind numbingly boring. I enjoy the older stuff with an electric 12 string and love his bass playing. I have no idea why they did not replace Steve Hacket when he left. You might say Rutherford can't hack it (pun intended) And Mike and the Mechanics is the Webster definition of MOR. And again Genesis has been one of my favorite bands since TOTT.

Small Creeps Day is a great album, Ant Phillips must have played some uncredited guitar.

Last edited by BillyRayJoeBob; 9th June 2015 at 01:19 AM..
Old 9th June 2015 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyRayJoeBob ➑️
Long time Genesis fan here. I hate to admit it but I find Mike Rutherford's lead/rhythm guitar playing mind numbingly boring. I enjoy the older stuff with an electric 12 string and love his bass playing. I have no idea why they did not replace Steve Hacket when he left. You might say Rutherford can't hack it (pun intended) And Mike and the Mechanics is the Webster definition of MOR. And again Genesis has been one of my favorite bands since TOTT.

Small Creeps Day is a great album, Ant Phillips must have played some uncredited guitar.
Seems to me that the final three took a less is more approach...they wanted to write perfect pop songs and threw away the very thing that made them interesting ...I think Rutherford was capable but he chose a more subtle approach ....his guitar work on then there were three has some great moments.

Duke has a lot less and it was a downward spiral from there ...their musicality took a nose dive while their bank balance headed in the opposite direction.
Old 9th June 2015
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
For me there are some strong moments on " and then there were three" and some as well on "Duke" then a nose dive. The spiral started for me after 'Wind and The Withering" I think for most prog bands that time was the beginning of the end.

Look at the nonsense Yes started putting out. ELP and Gentle Giant had the good sense to quit while they were ahead. King Crimson was the only one of the big prog acts to stay relevant. I do think it's time for Mr. Fripp to rethink his latest double triple pony ride retirement fund incarnation.
Old 9th June 2015
Engagement Manager

🎧 15 years
Well executed edit on the 2" around the 20 minute mark!
Old 10th June 2015 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyRayJoeBob ➑️
For me there are some strong moments on " and then there were three" and some as well on "Duke" then a nose dive. The spiral started for me after 'Wind and The Withering" I think for most prog bands that time was the beginning of the end.

Look at the nonsense Yes started putting out. ELP and Gentle Giant had the good sense to quit while they were ahead. King Crimson was the only one of the big prog acts to stay relevant. I do think it's time for Mr. Fripp to rethink his latest double triple pony ride retirement fund incarnation.
I find it hard to lump in old genesis with the rest of the 70s prog rock scene ..their early influences were the Beatles and bee gees ...later would include Crimson and weather report ..they were an insular band and took little from their contemporaries....this particular video seems to suggest they were channeling the police ..desperately trying to latch on to a more modern sound in the wake of post punk.
Old 10th June 2015
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
As a result of this discussion I have been listening to a bit of Genesis and indoctrinating my (too young to know them) singer and I notice this: what an amazing sound the Mellotron is - always loved it, but this recent listening has got me thinking, I wonder if there is a good sampled Mellotron bank? I know I can search and find several (and will) but am asking y'all this: anyone have an opinion on what the good/best one is?

edit: search says "Gforce Mtron Pro" is the best - saw a fun vid of Wakeman demoing Heart of the Sunrise for about 4 seconds - any opinions lads?

Last edited by shreddoggie; 10th June 2015 at 04:33 PM..
Old 10th June 2015
Deleted cda76ca
Mtron pro is great. But Sampletron from Ik multimedia is also great with some different sounds.

There are loads of unusual tapes in these, Melotron pianos guitars and the like.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman666 ➑️
I find it hard to lump in old genesis with the rest of the 70s prog rock scene ..their early influences were the Beatles and bee gees ...later would include Crimson and weather report ..they were an insular band and took little from their contemporaries....this particular video seems to suggest they were channeling the police ..desperately trying to latch on to a more modern sound in the wake of post punk.
I was not trying to lump all 70's prog bands together. A lot of musicians from that time and place have stated that the Beatles influenced them. What I was trying to say was that 80's Genesis and Yes tried to keep the flame burning past what some would say (me) their artistic prime.

I'm not sure I hear any Weather Report or even any Brand X in the last few Genesis recordings.
Deleted 8dcaace
Quote:

edit: search says "Gforce Mtron Pro" is the best - saw a fun vid of Wakeman demoing Heart of the Sunrise for about 4 seconds - any opinions lads?
Buy that and the Streetly Tapes Vol 1 and 2 and you'd have a pretty decent set-up (I have all the expansions).
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 8dcaace ➑️
Buy that and the Streetly Tapes Vol 1 and 2 and you'd have a pretty decent set-up (I have all the expansions).
Well you da man mate - thanks so much, a few SW purchases for me Mr HW only guy - hahahaha - this BTW is hilarious and great:

Old 10th June 2015
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I'll turn 50 soon. But reading those comments on the earlier Genesis stuff makes feel real young again because I do like some of the songs from the Mama album and even some of their ninety's stuff. Especially the Second Home by the Sea has a high ranking on my personal list of favourites.

It's fascinating to hear them fool around with bits and pieces of msic before they are polished and fitted into langer compositions and become reminiscent of wild animals locked behind bars.

Apart from that I was surprised by the vibe they had going during those sessions. Or better yet: the viby they seem to be lacking. I might be wrong here, but it appears that not only Banks seems unhappy having to be in the same band and room with the others. But also Rutherford seems to think that Phil is best behind the drums and a real pita behind the camera.

It undoubtedly remains an outstandingly impressive creative effort to come up with an album like Mama. And I'm a universe away from being capable of this. But at least, when I'm jamming or recording with my buddies we seem to enjoy a lot more what we're doing. Maybe it's easier for us because we don't carry the burden of having to be an art rock band.
Just a band. Playing badly. Having fun nevertheless. And that's cool.

Ah, Genesis. Yet still I bow to thee.
Old 10th June 2015
Deleted b598644
very nice docu to watch !

but i'm wondering, if it was 1983 and recorded on VHS as Phil says in the beginning, what camcorder was used?
you could even put text in the video.
πŸ“ Reply