The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Trigger to Midi Alesis vs Akai
Old 18th November 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Trigger to Midi Alesis vs Akai

Hi,
i'm looking for a trigger to midi converter to use with some drums vst(Xln,Toontrack).I have a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4.
Which one is the most stable/fast?
Alesis Trigger i/o (not too many good review)
Akai s900 plus Ask90 drum trigger (sampler very useful in a no-computer setup)
Alesis D4 (very cheap/12 inputs)
Akai me35t (looks like is an Ask90 in a separate chassis)
Old 19th November 2014
Gear Guru

🎧 20 years
I have both the Alesis D4 and the Akai S900 with the trigger inputs.

I found the Akai is definitely more sensitive and also more adjustable for the triggers I was using. (Barcus Berry pickups mounted inside my acoustic drums, on the bearing edge but not touching the head.) The Akai only has 8 inputs. When I was using it regularly for live triggering, I found it faster than the D4, but that may be because I "skipped" MIDI - that speed advantage may disappear if you coming out MIDI and are not using the sounds loaded into the Akai itself.

I did not use it much as a trigger-to-midi only device.

The Akai was fun to use in live performance, but the very limited memory meant you had to load a new floppy disk () to change kits. I could squeeze 2-3 kits on a disk if I was clever about it. Recording-wise, it is important to remember that the S900 was only 12 bit. So the sounds are a little 'grainy' for recording.

The D4 is a serviceable unit. The triggers have a crosstalk parameter to keep false triggering down and it can do the hi-hat thing with a closing note and a held note. My pickups were kind of low-output for it, but I imagine with hotter pickups it would be just fine. The onboard sounds are quite extensive, but of course you can't add your own. It has like 100 snare drums, but no dog barks, firecrackers, or James Brown saying: "hey!".
Old 16th March 2015
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Akai ME35T audio to midi trigger unit

Hi, saw your November post. May be too late now but I have an immaculate AKAI ME35T rack mount for sale. Used it a lot in the past to make drum tracks into midi files for quantising/boosting sounds. Works well with various sensitivity adjustments etc. Am in London.
Attached Thumbnails
Trigger to Midi Alesis vs Akai-img_5349-version-2.jpg  
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…