Quantcast
Learning to play drums for the first time!! - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Learning to play drums for the first time!!
Old 17th September 2012
  #1
Gear Guru
 
Kenny Gioia's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Learning to play drums for the first time!!

I'm teaching my son to play the drums for the first time and I'm trying to start off correctly. Although, I am an accomplished drummer, I am 100% self taught and I don't want to teach him my bad habits.

For instance, I learned on a kit and never really worked on my rudiments. So my finesse is not what it should be. I play more like Dave Grohl than Dave Wekyl.

Also, my son will be trying out in a couple of months to be in a performing arts school band so he'll need to read music as well. Which luckily I can do.

So we're starting with the snare drum (no kit) and I'm having a real tough time finding sheet music for this. I'm looking for the first exercises a drummer should know and all I'm finding is complicated paradiddles, solos and kit sheet music etc.

I'm just looking for simple 1/4, 1/8, 1/16 note marching beats that have L and R next to each hit which will teach him basic reading and simple strokes.

Thanks
Old 17th September 2012
  #2
Gear Guru
 
🎧 15 years
Stick Control by George Lawrence Stone is the first book I started out with and the first book I give to my students

the first 3 pages are just 1/8 notes, but with all kind of different sticking patterns. Gets you to read the L's and the R's but its more about control and working both hands than reading per se.

just when you learn one pattern you get another that is similar enough to require 'unlearning' the first one

fun, or torture, depending on your point of view.

for reading, the Roy Burns Elementary Drum Method book is a good place to start. Starts out with simple stuff, keeps adding smaller note values, rests, dotted notes and so on. Each lesson has a 'repetitive' section so you learn to recognize the patterns and what they 'sound' like first, and then a 'real reading' section where they mix them up more like an actual song.

This book will get you going into the kind of reading they will have in school band.


I would also recommend a Gladstone pad for the snare drum. IMO it's easier to do a long practice (and hear the metronome) at pad volumes.
Old 17th September 2012
  #3
Lives for gear
 
scruffydog's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Just write something musical yourself....

make it fun and teach him to count!

stick control is mind numbing...and actually very advanced....


crotchets/quavers/semiquavers...triplets....good luck!

get on the kit!!!
play to records.....go to a teacher!!!
Old 17th September 2012 | Show parent
  #4
Gear Guru
 
Kenny Gioia's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq ➡️
Stick Control by George Lawrence Stone is the first book I started out with and the first book I give to my students

the first 3 pages are just 1/8 notes, but with all kind of different sticking patterns. Gets you to read the L's and the R's but its more about control and working both hands than reading per se.

just when you learn one pattern you get another that is similar enough to require 'unlearning' the first one

fun, or torture, depending on your point of view.

for reading, the Roy Burns Elementary Drum Method book is a good place to start. Starts out with simple stuff, keeps adding smaller note values, rests, dotted notes and so on. Each lesson has a 'repetitive' section so you learn to recognize the patterns and what they 'sound' like first, and then a 'real reading' section where they mix them up more like an actual song.

This book will get you going into the kind of reading they will have in school band.


I would also recommend a Gladstone pad for the snare drum. IMO it's easier to do a long practice (and hear the metronome) at pad volumes.
Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks.

He has a pad but I gave him my Ludwig Black Beauty with a shirt placed on the shell before I put on the head so it's fairly quiet but has that nice snare sound.

BTW - You have a habit of using the underline text feature a lot. I'm constantly clicking it thinking it's a link.

Thanks
Old 17th September 2012 | Show parent
  #5
Gear Guru
 
Kenny Gioia's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by scruffydog ➡️
Just write something musical yourself....

make it fun and teach him to count!

stick control is mind numbing...and actually very advanced....
I agree. I've been teaching him things a little more interesting that I make up right now but I should write it out.

Thanks.
Old 17th September 2012 | Show parent
  #6
Gear Guru
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia ➡️

BTW - You have a habit of using the underline text feature a lot. I'm constantly clicking it thinking it's a link.
I am a serial abuser of the text formatting features. I was losing my mind when we had that forum makeover and I couldn't use it for a whole week!

BTW here is an actual link to Stick Control: Stick Control For The Snare Drummer

and for Roy Burns: Roy Burns Elementary Drum Method

The Gladstone Pad (that's a link!) sits on the top head, is 14", and you still can hear the snares
Old 17th September 2012
  #7
Gear Guru
 
Kenny Gioia's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Oh. OK. I thought the pad was just a pad that he'd play by itself.

This is what he has now:

Kaces Grafix Drum Practice Pad - Skull and more Drum Practice Pads At Cascio Interstate Music

I'm going to grab both of those books.

Stick Control looks great (even for me) but the other should be better for reading and be a bit more fun.

Thanks
Old 17th September 2012 | Show parent
  #8
Gear Guru
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia ➡️
Oh. OK. I thought the pad was just a pad that he'd play by itself.
well it is, but the idea is you can use your snare drum as a perfect-height stand for the pad, and then pull it off and start playing on the drum if you like. It will also stick by air pressure on any flat surface.

well, that has a SKULL! Hard to top that.
Old 17th September 2012 | Show parent
  #9
Gear Guru
 
Kenny Gioia's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq ➡️

well, that has a SKULL! Hard to top that.
Indeed!!
Old 17th September 2012
  #10
Lives for gear
 
JulianFernandez's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Ted Reed´s Syncopation is great. Plenty of exercises for the beginner and the now legendary Syncopation Sets which are some of the most famous and well known templates for any kind of music/practice routine...
Old 17th September 2012 | Show parent
  #11
Gear Guru
 
Kenny Gioia's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianFernandez ➡️
Ted Reed´s Syncopation is great. Plenty of exercises for the beginner and the now legendary Syncopation Sets which are some of the most famous and well known templates for any kind of music/practice routine...
They don't seem to have the L or R hands that I was looking for.
Old 17th September 2012
  #12
Lives for gear
 
JulianFernandez's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Write them with a pencil? Would take 10 mins and the book will be around forever...

Btw, take a look... My tips on teaching very young children. - DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM
Old 17th September 2012
  #13
Lives for gear
 
Ntk drummer's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianFernandez ➡️
Ted Reed´s Syncopation is great. Plenty of exercises for the beginner and the now legendary Syncopation Sets which are some of the most famous and well known templates for any kind of music/practice routine...
I was reading this thread trying to remember what I started with and this thread reminded me. I started with Tim Reed also. My teacher also taught me a different rudiment every week which I hated at the time and made we do many para diddle inversions etc which were torture.

When I started playing jazz they were a godsend.

When he gets into intermediate I recommend teaching him the table of time exercises from joe morello with a click. They ate ****ing torture at first but are so valuable down the track.
Old 17th September 2012 | Show parent
  #14
Gear Guru
 
Kenny Gioia's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianFernandez ➡️
Write them with a pencil? Would take 10 mins and the book will be around forever...

Btw, take a look... My tips on teaching very young children. - DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM
Actually very helpful. My son is older but I'm going to balance your approach with a bit of Joeq's suggestions.

Thanks
Old 17th September 2012
  #15
Lives for gear
 
scruffydog's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
rudiments yeahh....5/6/7 stroke roll...parradidles (single AND double mix) in 1/8..1/16 and triplets...against a pulse...these will take a life time to fully explore and will take you all the way to Wembley stadium!

There is a guy a few doors up on a snare as i write....tedious to listen too...slow singles with accents...he's wasting his time....i thought my overflow pipe had broken here..!..TAP.tap tap tap TAP..tap tap tap...

No...!

Whilst there is an important beauty in slowness..it's crucial to have music in everything....

Learn a one drop and stick on bob marley....!!!!!!
write out the arrangement with him.....tune the drums real nice with him!...

practice music.....AND get a soft pad and a metronome for the hand to hand stuff!
get a book like jo morello's and just work it a bit at a time...
it's not the exercise...it's the 'feel' that is buried in each lesson that one must find.
if it don't feel good..bin it instantly....
treat the book exercises as a 'warm up'...20 minutes at the most..then head on over to bob marley!!!!!

This guy is hot in the UK studio scene...show your son how simple things can be..and how the feel comes through because of it..

http://www.youtube.com/user/ashsoan

Music is for life...
📝 Reply
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump