The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Drumless Play-along Tracks
Old 24th January 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bambamboom ➡️
This is an old thread, but to update it based on what is available now, I recommend Drumeo.

They have over 1000 play along tracks (many of which are from popular songs, not just random crap) that come with their lessons bundle (Drumeo Edge) that are great quality.

It's fairly inexpensive (especially since there are over 2000 video lessons plus a ton of other stuff). You can also pay for it month to month if you prefer that over an annual subscription.
Complete modern-day pay-per-month nonsense. Just buy 10 LPs of your favorite bands, put on headphones, crank it up, and play along for hours. Done. You're now a drummer.

When finished, you still have 10 great LPs to play, and no monthly fee.
Old 2nd February 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonorPhonic ➡️
Complete modern-day pay-per-month nonsense. Just buy 10 LPs of your favorite bands, put on headphones, crank it up, and play along for hours. Done. You're now a drummer.

When finished, you still have 10 great LPs to play, and no monthly fee.
What's an LP?

10 LP's around here is about $250
You get around 120 songs, no instructions or lessons.

You do what I suggested, and for $197/yr you get 1000 songs that you can hear with OR without the original drum track, plus 2000 lessons, plus a practice pad, and a set of sticks.

Which drummer do you think will be farther ahead based on choosing between those 2 resources?

How is paying a subscription fee any different than paying for lessons, or your internet bill for that matter?

It's not for everyone, clearly you hate the idea. Let's agree to disagree, but dismissing my idea as nonsense is a little too much of a stretch.

Cheers
Old 13th February 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
What's an LP?

10 LP's around here is about $250
You get around 120 songs, no instructions or lessons.
LP means "long playing" or "long play". Choose your preference. With "ears", the LP is both the instruction and the lesson. When finished, it is also excellent recorded art that can be passed down through generations, providing fun for young and old alike. LP = best choice

Quote:
You do what I suggested, and for $197/yr you get 1000 songs that you can hear with OR without the original drum track, plus 2000 lessons, plus a practice pad, and a set of sticks.
Anyone who does what you suggest will soon realize a yearly decrease of capital. Lock yourself into an annual payment plan, if that is what you wish.

Quote:
Which drummer do you think will be farther ahead based on choosing between those 2 resources?
Me.

Quote:
How is paying a subscription fee any different than paying for lessons, or your internet bill for that matter?
Most legendary rock and jazz drummers never took a lesson. They listened, watched sometimes, and then attempted to duplicate ... followed by gradual improvement and developing their own style. This technique led to success and worldwide fame. When you take annual "lessons", you tend to sound like the instructor. Join a band, play with others, and develop your own style.

Quote:
It's not for everyone, clearly you hate the idea. Let's agree to disagree, but dismissing my idea as nonsense is a little too much of a stretch.

Cheers
Hate is the wrong word. The word that you are searching for is "experience".

Cheers
Old 23rd February 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Your response is a great example of a rose colored glasses view of the past.

LP = Best choice? Really? The format that has had a small resurgence via nostalgia only made up 3.6% of album equivalent music consumption in 2020....

Advising that people don't take lessons? Really? Is that logical advice in any discipline?

I understand that you may feel what worked for you is a good way, but to suggest it is the best way is a very large stretch.

There are many paths, each with their own set of merits and faults.

Last edited by bambamboom; 23rd February 2021 at 11:43 PM..
Old 5th March 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Your response is a great example of a rose colored glasses view of the past.
NO. It's a wonderful example of someone who has actually "been there" and "done it". It's not an example of an "Internet kid typing nonsense".

Quote:
LP = Best choice? Really? The format that has had a small resurgence via nostalgia only made up 3.6% of album equivalent music consumption in 2020....
YES. Really. Try it. Tape and vinyl beats digital, every day of the week.

Quote:
Advising that people don't take lessons? Really? Is that logical advice in any discipline?
It's logical advice if YOU have TALENT. Do you have any? If not, spend you life paying for lessons, month after month and year after year.

Quote:
I understand that you may feel what worked for you is a good way, but to suggest it is the best way is a very large stretch.

There are many paths, each with their own set of merits and faults.
That's true. There truly are multiple paths. What's YOUR path? And, HOW FAR down that path have you gone? Faults = yearly costly lessons, and typing on a GEAR page.

Merits = A&M Records, Hollywood, California. "LPs" not so bad, huh? Keep taking lessons, and keep PAYING.

bam bam boom!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcmPrvos9wU
Old 6th March 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
NO. It's a wonderful example of someone who has actually "been there" and "done it". It's not an example of an "Internet kid typing nonsense".

YES. Really. Try it. Tape and vinyl beats digital, every day of the week.

It's logical advice if YOU have TALENT. Do you have any? If not, spend you life paying for lessons, month after month and year after year.

That's true. There truly are multiple paths. What's YOUR path? And, HOW FAR down that path have you gone? Faults = yearly costly lessons, and typing on a GEAR page.

Merits = A&M Records, Hollywood, California. "LPs" not so bad, huh? Keep taking lessons, and keep PAYING.

bam bam boom!

[
Good grief.

To call me an "internet kid typing nonsense" while I have 30yrs of drumming experience playing thousands of shows, a gold record, etc was quite the assumption.

The arguments about tape and vinyl ended ages ago. All the working professionals have switched.

There is no such thing as talent. What people consider to be talent (oversimplified to avoid a tangent) is basically aptitude plus practice, heavily skewed on the practice side. This is scientifically proven.

This is a thread called "Drumless" play along tracks. At the most simple level everything you have said doesn't even meet the qualifying criteria the OP asked for.

I concede. I am a total failure carbon copy clone for taking some lessons and watching online videos. You win.

Last edited by bambamboom; 6th March 2021 at 12:22 AM..
Old 7th March 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Good grief.

To call me an "internet kid typing nonsense" while I have 30yrs of drumming experience playing thousands of shows, a gold record, etc was quite the assumption.

The arguments about tape and vinyl ended ages ago. All the working professionals have switched.

There is no such thing as talent. What people consider to be talent (oversimplified to avoid a tangent) is basically aptitude plus practice, heavily skewed on the practice side. This is scientifically proven.

This is a thread called "Drumless" play along tracks. At the most simple level everything you have said doesn't even meet the qualifying criteria the OP asked for.

I concede. I am a total failure carbon copy clone for taking some lessons and watching online videos. You win.
It's not a "win / lose" game. You argued points, and I responded. Pick a term. Debate. Discussion. Some other word starting with D. You decide.

By the way, and just out of curiosity, with 30 years pro experience and a gold record (LP) on your wall, why are you still taking lessons?

"no such thing as talent"? Really? Are you sure you want to say that?

Speaking of talent, there was a time before digital. This guy listened to Leslie West LPs, and honed his craft ... with a healthy mix of "natural talent".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHNfsQzO9KI

Here's a sample of what he was listening to as he sat in his bedroom:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gqg-Dfd9BmM

You don't need "Drumless" play-along tracks to learn drums, nor "Axe-less" play-along tracks to learn guitar. LPs work just fine. That was my point.
Old 9th March 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:

By the way, and just out of curiosity, with 30 years pro experience and a gold record (LP) on your wall, why are you still taking lessons?
Because there is always (way) more to learn. My jazz chops for instance still have a long way to go. Every player follows their interests and experiences down a path that might make them great in a few areas, but very few drummers are really gifted across multiple genres, especially those with large contrasts (like between metal and jazz).

Quote:
"no such thing as talent"? Really? Are you sure you want to say that?
I said "no such thing" not to suggest that "talent" doesn't exist, but that the general public typically has a major misconception about that word.

This article does a reasonable job explaining:
https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...talent-a-myth/

Quote:
You don't need "Drumless" play-along tracks to learn drums, nor "Axe-less" play-along tracks to learn guitar. LPs work just fine. That was my point.
But that wasn't the point of the thread. This is a thread specifically about drum-less tracks - playing along to albums is hardly a novel idea which I'm sure the op has done.
Old 10th March 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Because there is always (way) more to learn. My jazz chops for instance still have a long way to go. Every player follows their interests and experiences down a path that might make them great in a few areas, but very few drummers are really gifted across multiple genres, especially those with large contrasts (like between metal and jazz).
All true. However, be VERY careful to not complete the following sentence:
"Jack of all trades, yet a master of ____!"

Quote:
I said "no such thing" not to suggest that "talent" doesn't exist, but that the general public typically has a major misconception about that word.
I've personally seen and heard "pure natural talent" quite a few times in my life. Mind-blowing talent, in fact. It's a gift that cannot be learned, and it comes from the inside. Natural talent so divine that it can often slap you in head and make you question why you should bother spending any more time "practicing". It can't be purchased.

Quote:
But that wasn't the point of the thread. This is a thread specifically about drum-less tracks - playing along to albums is hardly a novel idea which I'm sure the op has done.
I understand the point of the thread. I just added my salt & pepper in an attempt to open some eyes. I'll take 20 LPs over monthly fees, every day of the week.
Old 15th March 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
I've personally seen and heard "pure natural talent" quite a few times in my life. Mind-blowing talent, in fact. It's a gift that cannot be learned, and it comes from the inside. Natural talent so divine that it can often slap you in head and make you question why you should bother spending any more time "practicing". It can't be purchased.
There are always exceptions to the rule so I can't speak to the above cases. However, studies have shown that many of the cases where people might assume something was "natural talent" were actually cases where the person had a different upbringing / set of experiences than the average person, or some sort of other factor which greatly contributed to their "talent", typically starting at a very young age.

As an example: I know 4 people who have perfect pitch (I have pretty decent relative pitch, which is useful, but a far cry from perfect pitch). 3 out of 4 come from Asian backgrounds speaking mandarin in their early childhood. The pitch/expression variability of mandarin is a statistically measurable factor, as Asians who grow up with this language are significantly more likely to have perfect pitch. ALL of the people I know with perfect pitch grew up in households where diverse and complex music was played regularly all through their childhood and they began musical training at a young age.

The Deutsch study concluded this, which is compelling (and somewhat depressing):
“for students who had begun musical training between ages 4 and 5, approximately 60 percent of the Chinese speakers tested as having perfect pitch, while only about 14 percent of the U.S. nontone (English, Spanish) language speakers did. For those beginning musical training between ages 8 and 9, the figures were 42 percent of the Chinese and zero of the U.S. group.”

The radical drop in percentage as age increases is a biological factor (brain's process re language development - specifically "synaptic pruning"), and this is the same reason why people learning new languages have a hard time getting rid of their accent if they learn the language when they are older (especially going from a non-tone language like english to a toned language like mandarin). They've already passed the point in their brain development where the brain has "pruned" away all of the underutilized synapses deemed non-essential based on their exposure. Once that happens there is no going back.

This sort of research, while about perfect pitch and language, applies elsewhere (yes, drums /instruments ) to a large degree as well.

No doubt general intelligence and aptitude is a factor, but environment is a huge factor, especially in early childhood.

Go back and look at the very early childhood of some of those "naturally talented" people. In many cases, that's a differentiating factor.

But don't be depressed those of you who got a late start. It won't prevent great performance if you put in the work.

Last edited by bambamboom; 15th March 2021 at 09:54 PM..
Old 29th March 2021
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
drum less on YouTube..that's where i get mine !!!
Old 30th March 2021 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I forgot about this thread. Now that I have stem separation software, I can make a drumless version of any song. I can have my choice of with, without, or anything in between. Or even have the original drums turned up or soloed.

Great practicing tool.

I also said this earlier:
Quote:
Originally Posted by me
There is also a tendency for you to hear the recorded drummer's playing as your own, especially if it is more 'correct'. Headphones block out the sound of your own drums making them muffled and indistinct, whereas the the recorded drums are sharp and clear with full HF extension.

This effect is especially problematical in the case of your ghosted notes, which are difficult to hear with headphones on.
since I wrote that, I picked up a mid-level Roland e-kit for practicing and programming. It's not great at certain styles, but overall, I am really enjoying playing along using it and one reason is that it corrects this issue. 'My' playing shows up in the mix , not "leaking through" the plastic shells of the earcups in a muffled kind of way. It's like what I experience when I am recording with all the mics, but that would be a lot to have to setup just for daily practicing.

I also like it for drilling something kind of boring over and over for a lot of reps - because I can do it a much lower volume which is less tiring. Plus when i am working on something new, nobody can hear how bad I sound..
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq ➡️
I forgot about this thread. Now that I have stem separation software, I can make a drumless version of any song. I can have my choice of with, without, or anything in between. Or even have the original drums turned up or soloed.

Great practicing tool.

I also said this earlier:

since I wrote that, I picked up a mid-level Roland e-kit for practicing and programming. It's not great at certain styles, but overall, I am really enjoying playing along using it and one reason is that it corrects this issue. 'My' playing shows up in the mix , not "leaking through" the plastic shells of the earcups in a muffled kind of way. It's like what I experience when I am recording with all the mics, but that would be a lot to have to setup just for daily practicing.

I also like it for drilling something kind of boring over and over for a lot of reps - because I can do it a much lower volume which is less tiring. Plus when i am working on something new, nobody can hear how bad I sound..
That's all good. Whatever floats your boat, man. If it gets you where you're headed, all is good.

By the way, sorry to drop back in so late. Busy! With that aside, what's with the GearSlutz name change? Such a shame. Compromises, all extended for modern-day conformity. What happened? (haha) Times have sure changed since Rock was Rock. Wow. Anyway.

Also, looking at some of the side-margin promo/ad banners. It really makes me smile. Seriously. Want to know why some older dudes grow long gray beards and wear hats? Hear's the answer. Baldness. Hair loss, pure and simple.

Rock on!

Ps; A little Sweet drumming, just for fun. Desolation Boulevard. Ahhhh, the '70s!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nvwm5pOyVXk
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Seriously. Want to know why some older dudes grow long gray beards and wear hats? Hear's the answer. Baldness. Hair loss, pure and simple.
I was in a band fronted by 3 female vocalists. The "sidemen" were all men. One night, one of the singers noticed that all the guys were wearing hats. There were two fedoras, a Kangol cap, a beret. All the guys except for me. "We should get Joe a hat, too" the girls said. Then it would be like a "theme".

I said" "I don't need a hat".

"what do you mean?"

"I still have all my hair".

end of discussion.
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq ➡️
I was in a band fronted by 3 female vocalists. The "sidemen" were all men. One night, one of the singers noticed that all the guys were wearing hats. There were two fedoras, a Kangol cap, a beret. All the guys except for me. "We should get Joe a hat, too" the girls said. Then it would be like a "theme".

I said" "I don't need a hat".

"what do you mean?"

"I still have all my hair".

end of discussion.
Bingo! And thanks for sharing. Your story brought a smile to my face.
Male Pattern Baldness. That's what I first imagine when I look at the
side banner for "puremix.net". hahaha ... no joke!

By the way, what the hell is a Kangol cap? With that aside, and being a Beatles-Child PRO songwriter ... I'd just like to add that the "BASS GUITAR" is SOOOO important for holding and supporting the melody and associated harmonies (i.e., the hook) in SMASH HIT songs. Case in point:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=5Jpc9oZynyw

Have a great day!
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…