Drum Kit for Metal - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Drum Kit for Metal
Old 27th January 2009
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Drum Kit for Metal

Hi, Me again.

Was looking into some kits for playing some Metal and Hard Rock with my band/jamming buds. So I've looked into many semi-pro/intermediate/whatever kits basically these are what i have loked at:
  • Tama Superstar
  • Tama Superstar Hyperdrive
  • Pearl Vision
  • Mapex Meridian
  • Ddrum Diablo Deathpunx

They were just a few kits I looked into (all around the same price range, minus the Diablo, just wanted some views on that, and any suggestions of a better ddrum kit around the price of the other kits on that list).

Basically I want a 2 Bass Drums, 4 Toms, and 2 Floor Toms (might be willing for less, under a good persuasion heh)

So views on those kits, and suggestions on other kits would be helpful. I need to take price and quality into account (a good halfway point kit). But if the kit is a lot better, then I may save up for longer.

Thanks in Advance
DeadOfKnight

P.S. Fav Drummers are the well known ones : Lars, Dave Lombardo, Shawn Drover, and Nicko
Old 28th January 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
do yourself a favour and get a nice 5- or 6-piece kit with just one bass drum and a double bass pedal. get a nice, used kit <like Mapex Pro-M or M-Birch> and spend rest of your money for heads and nice cymbals.

double bass drums are expensive, hard to tune properly and generally they suck.
Old 28th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Save the money from not getting the 2nd kick drum and 2nd pedal and get this kick drum pedal.
Buy Trick Pro 1-V Detonator Double-Bass Drum Pedal | Double Drum Pedals | Musician's Friend

It's not cheap, but It's the smoothest, fastest, hardest hitting pedal I've ever tried. It's has a weird cam spring and rebounds so quick it feels like it's glued to your foot. I don't think there is a better pedal for playing quick double bass.

Like others said, tuning 2 kicks is a pain and if you plan on triggering them, two kicks is pointless anyway. The only interesting thing I find with multiple kicks is when people run different sizes and tunings

Later,
Jordan
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jschulze ➑️
Save the money from not getting the 2nd kick drum and 2nd pedal and get this kick drum pedal.
Buy Trick Pro 1-V Detonator Double-Bass Drum Pedal | Double Drum Pedals | Musician's Friend

It's not cheap, but It's the smoothest, fastest, hardest hitting pedal I've ever tried. It's has a weird cam spring and rebounds so quick it feels like it's glued to your foot. I don't think there is a better pedal for playing quick double bass.
yeah, there's no better way of spending money for drums on a double kick pedal that costs more than drums he's going to buy

they're great pedals, but forget about them - get used Iron Cobra or even something cheaper <Janus maybe? mapex makes some decent double pedals also> and you'll be happy as a pig in the mud.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks for the messages so far. I guess I could live with a single kick, and it'd be cheaper and easier. But they don't make M-Birch or Pro-M anymore, with the new Meridian line (haven't heard much about it). So outta those kits, which would you suggest and in what sizes? Keep alternate kit suggestions coming too
Old 29th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadOfKnight ➑️
Thanks for the messages so far. I guess I could live with a single kick, and it'd be cheaper and easier. But they don't make M-Birch or Pro-M anymore, with the new Meridian line (haven't heard much about it). So outta those kits, which would you suggest and in what sizes? Keep alternate kit suggestions coming too
but used M-Birch and Pro M are still there, right?

they're great drums with decent hardware. can't go wrong with them. as far as sizes go, i believe standard configuration is pretty obvious choice as far as metal drumming goes.
Old 31st January 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Ok, but I don't particularly want a used kit. So keep the suggestions coming, I'd really like to hear people's opinions on the whole Vision vs Superstar vs Meridian thing. Thanks again
Old 31st January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
The DW pacific kits are great. Although this is a judgement call, if you are jamming and not filming a music video then you will be good with 3 rack 1 floor for tom and a single kick. Throw some money towards good snare, hardware, heads cymbals. Can't go wrong with an iron cobra double pedal.
Old 1st February 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve ➑️
The DW pacific kits are great. Although this is a judgement call, if you are jamming and not filming a music video then you will be good with 3 rack 1 floor for tom and a single kick. Throw some money towards good snare, hardware, heads cymbals. Can't go wrong with an iron cobra double pedal.
Looking into what you've said here, I noticed the PDP X7, people got any views on this kit, good sound for the price? I noticed it's quite a lot cheaper than the kits I had currently been looking at, but you know if it sounds good. Also noticed the shells are made of poplar. I might head down to my local drum retailer at some point next weekend. Keep the responses on the original question coming too.
Old 9th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Pacific kits kick ass.

If you can tune them you can make those kits sound beautiful.

Mapex pro m and m birch are both godly gorgeous for the price

Get some good 2 ply heads for the toms and a nice snare with a one ply on top and you'll be kickin some major ass
Old 11th February 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jschulze ➑️

Like others said, tuning 2 kicks is a pain and if you plan on triggering them, two kicks is pointless anyway. The only interesting thing I find with multiple kicks is when people run different sizes and tunings

Later,
Jordan
Your kidding right? look at how chris adlers foot work is and hes on a dw9000, its not all about longboards, its all about practice, dedication and skill.

i know a few drummers who have absolutely god awful pedals, and are extremely fast.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Cool, I have had another look around, and like the look these kits:

Ddrum Dominion Maple Duofade (Short Stack Toms like the Hyperdrive)
PDP X7
Ddrum Defiant 7

They all look like pretty good kits, but I am not sure which to buy. I know the Duofade is made of maple, but the Bass drum is 20x20, what does that do for the sound (especially as I will be playing metal). The PDP X7, I have heard is brilliant even though it is made of poplar, due to it's superior build quality. Also comes in my favourite colour, White (Yes, I am a Lars fan ) The Ddrum Defiant on the other hand is "designed" for Metal. It is made of Basswood (I think my beginner kit is made of that), but wondered if people had an opinion on the sound and quality.

Basically just get back to me on these kits, because I think the Tama Superstars and Pearl Visions may be a tad too much money pour moi.

Thanks again,
DeadOfKnight
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neoni ➑️
Your kidding right? look at how chris adlers foot work is and hes on a dw9000, its not all about longboards, its all about practice, dedication and skill.

i know a few drummers who have absolutely god awful pedals, and are extremely fast.

so true man...

direct drive pedals are probably the most overrated thing that ever happened to drumming ever.
Old 15th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neoni ➑️

First of all, the pedal I posted wasn't a longboard and secondly, I never said that you couldn't play fast on another pedal. People were playing fast long before the trick pedal came out and I'm sure they'll be playing fast long after it's forgotten about. I'm sure Chris Adler likes his 9000, but I've used both and for me (read: lousy drummer) the trick feels nicer and quicker. The 9000 certainly is a very nice smooth pedal, but for me it feels a bit sluggish. Again I'm a lousy drummer.

"its all about practice, dedication and skill." Is there any reason you can't practice, dedicate time, and improve your skills on a trick pedal. I don't want to start a pissing match here, but I thought I'd give my opinion on the matter. I'm assuming the original poster isn't a well seasoned drummer and for someone developing their skills I feel it will be easier for them to learn how to play quick double bass with this pedal, which is the end game for many metal drummers.

To each his own,
Jordan
Old 17th February 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Porto ➑️
Just a comment about single verses double kick:

If you are going to use drum replacement on the kick (which seems to be the norm these days with metal), then don't bother with two kick drums, but if you plan on actually using the miked kick sound, I would recommend two kicks. I find that with a single kick, and a double pedal, with fast double kick beats, the single kick's head cannot recover fast enough, and the low end doesn't have time to bloom between hits.
Thanks for this comment, i (with my tiny drum knowledge) am assuming "drum replacement" is triggering? I don't really wanna trigger, but then again I know little on the subject, but your right it does seem the normal with metal nowadays. I mean on a drum track I like to hear the sound of the drum kit, not something produced by a machine, no matter how good, surely it cant compare to the sound of a real kit? Once again, don't know much on the matter.

Please still keep the responses on which kit, the thread seems to be going off on a tangent about pedals, so stop. I will probz end up with Iron Cobras (don't use this as fuel for debate).
Old 18th February 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
So, back on the subject of the Drum Kits, I have done some more research and like the look of these too:

Ddrum Dominion Duofade
Gretsch Catalina Maple
PDP X7

Also Still like the look of the Tama Superstar Hyperdrives (I love Tama), the Pearl Visions and the Mapex Meridian line.

Please give me your thoughts on these kits, I think they are all around the same-ish price range (under Β£1000). Also please recommend any other kits.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
So, back on the subject of the Drum Kits, I have done some more research and like the look of these too:

Ddrum Dominion Duofade
Gretsch Catalina Maple
PDP X7

Also Still like the look of the Tama Superstar Hyperdrives (I love Tama), the Pearl Visions and the Mapex Meridian line.

Please give me your thoughts on these kits, I think they are all around the same-ish price range (under Β£1000). Also please recommend any other kits.
Skip the gretsch and the dominion series (I own 2 dominion myself in fact) for metal. I've tried both of them in metal context and it was not pleasant. Can it be done, yeah... we did it actually, but it was NOT the drumkit for anything remotely close to that style.

As much as I dislike tama, I'd probably go with the tama superstars. (this is assuming I only suggest based on your ideas).

Whatever you do, avoid PDP! There is a reason they are cheap I've experience with dozens of PDP's coming in and out, and live work. They fall apart with such regularity that despite not owning a PDP of any sort, I have 14 cubic feet of replacement parts for them alone! I've yet to work with a PDP drumset that didn't need some sort of basic repair to be record ready. There's even 2 artists I know locally who are endorsed by PDP who go through 5-6 kits a year! One of them just plays light jazz

PDP certainly makes drumkits that sound great on the sales floor, but it is NOT a wise investment of your money for longevity, resale value (they're worth <50% soon as you open the box) or personal investment time.

I'm sure there's plenty of people out there who have PDP's that managed to stay in good shape through careful care or simply not using it frequently, but in my personal experience (which is rather vast with budget drumkits) PDP is an astonishingly bad investment.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Randolph ➑️
Skip the gretsch and the dominion series (I own 2 dominion myself in fact) for metal. I've tried both of them in metal context and it was not pleasant. Can it be done, yeah... we did it actually, but it was NOT the drumkit for anything remotely close to that style.

As much as I dislike tama, I'd probably go with the tama superstars. (this is assuming I only suggest based on your ideas).

Whatever you do, avoid PDP! There is a reason they are cheap I've experience with dozens of PDP's coming in and out, and live work. They fall apart with such regularity that despite not owning a PDP of any sort, I have 14 cubic feet of replacement parts for them alone! I've yet to work with a PDP drumset that didn't need some sort of basic repair to be record ready. There's even 2 artists I know locally who are endorsed by PDP who go through 5-6 kits a year! One of them just plays light jazz
Thanks, this is probably the most helpful post so far. So what would you suggest not based on my ideas? And for what reason do you dislike Tama? Are their drums bad?

Thanks Again
Old 19th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Thanks, this is probably the most helpful post so far. So what would you suggest not based on my ideas? And for what reason do you dislike Tama? Are their drums bad?

Thanks Again
I would go into a drum shop, close my eyes and start playing drums until I found the right kit. Even two kits of the exact same model can sound different (which is why my previous post was talking about non-sound issues).

I just dislike tama because of their 'image'. Can't really say they endorse a single drummer that I'm fond of Good company, just not my cup o' tea
Old 19th February 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Randolph ➑️
I would go into a drum shop, close my eyes and start playing drums until I found the right kit. Even two kits of the exact same model can sound different (which is why my previous post was talking about non-sound issues).

I just dislike tama because of their 'image'. Can't really say they endorse a single drummer that I'm fond of Good company, just not my cup o' tea
Cool, so with you're extreme knowledge of intermediate drums, can you tell me which would be better; the superstars or the superstar hyperdrives? I like the look of the larger bass drums and the black nickel, but I wasn't sure whether the small toms would work in a metal situation (I know ATR Drummer Jason Costa uses em)

Also, I need to get some cymbals and drum heads to go with the kit, and I think I will probz get PST5s or XS20s, which do you reckon are better, both in gerneral and in a metal situation. I'd love to get Alphas, but I'm not sure whether I can afford em and the kit. Also on the Drumheads, I like the sound of Remo Emperors, especially mic'd up, and Evans EC2s. I don't like open sounds like Ambassadors or G2s.

So, If you'd leave answers about each conponents, that would be awesome!

Thanks again

EDIT: I been looking into Paiste Alphas and they just sound amazing. Anyone know if they any good for metal? Also are there Sabian and Zildjian equivalents (just for comparison)? But if the PST5s sound just as good might as well save some cash

Also I have been looking at M Birchs, shops have left over stock that they are selling cheap (like 10",12",13", 16", 22", 14" Snare for Β£400-600). Would it be worth getting one? Or would it be problematic if I had any problems with em in the future, because they are discontinued.
Old 22nd September 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
drums

I would get better drums used. Why do you want new drums? I would mix different brands if necesary to get good drums. Add a Slate kick sample and put cotton balls inside the toms.

I tech for a major metal /hip hop band and we are recording right now.

Peter
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…