Best budget cymbals? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best budget cymbals?
Old 26th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Best budget cymbals?

Hi all,

I'm finally taking the plunge and buying a kit! I've been around drums for years (I'm a guitarist) and can play a little, but i've decided to learn properly.

I have a friend who is a pro and he is selling me his spare kit - an old but tidy Premier APK with a refurbed Premier snare. Not esoteric stuff, but he makes it sound great....

So I need hats, ride and a crash. I've been looking at budget cymbal packs and doing a lot of reading but it's hard to work out what the popular concensus is.

I suppose I'm a 'rock' drummer, but having spent too long with drummers who just hit the crap out of everything and generally overplay all the time, I'm aiming to be a sensitive type that people actually enjoy playing with!

So where should I be looking?

Cheers,

Jim
Old 26th January 2009
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I would rather choose from top level used cymbals than new budget models. if you can get to a drum shop, see what sounds good to you from their selection, and look for those from what the have in stock, or from your other sources for used gear. Cymbals are much more consistent than they used to be, so, you should do well to look for a particular model used.

Good luck, it's great to have real drums !
Old 27th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
It's hard to recommend a cheap cymbal pack, since you'll probably want to replace them quickly, as soon as you figure out how terrible they sound. It would definitely be best to listen to some sound clips on the major cymbal makers websites (Zildjian, Sabian, Paiste, etc.), to get an idea of what lines you like, then head to your local drum store and play a few to get some "in person" perspective. Then, keep and eye on e-bay/craigslist for used cymbals that you liked. Even great quality cymbals have a significant depreciation on the used market, so you can get them cheap.

If you really must get a "starter pack" for learning purposes, get whatever's cheapest (Wuhan, Stagg) and start saving for some real pies.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdc333 ➑️
I would rather choose from top level used cymbals than new budget models.
Absolutely.
I think that's also the popular consensus.
70's and 80's Zildjian are reasonably priced on Ebay. Likewise 80's Sabian.
New or newish Istanbul Agop sound amazing and can be bought reasonably priced. Also the Chinese made Dream cymbals.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I would rather choose from top level used cymbals than new budget models.
Another vote. Go join up over at drumforum.org (another one of my hangouts) - the guys over there can point you in the right direction, and there is a LOT of buying/selling of drum gear over there.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
go to your local pawn shops, you can usually find good small Avedis 70's crashes. 14" and 16". You'll probably have to deal with some keyholing to get them cheap, but whatever - they're gonna sound way better than budget cymbals.

I've accumulated most of my cymbals from pawn shops. Sometimes when i just have the itch for something new, its nice to be on the hunt. After a while you learn which pawn shops and flea markets are better than others. I scored this amazing 24" 70's Avedis ride for $60 some years ago and every drummer that comes in asks to buy it off me.

Wuhan S Series aren't horrible. I found a new pair of 14" Wuhan Hats for $65 a few years ago. Used them on a few sessions when we wanted a slightly more trashy sound than the Avedis hats.

Does the UK have pawn shops ?
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJay ➑️
Does the UK have pawn shops ?
Yes, but it's virtually impossible to score any cheap US made gear in the UK anywhere.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Too true.

I keep reading on here about people finding stuff cheap on eBay, but I think the reality in the UK is a little different.

I've been hearing good stuff about the Stagg cymbals - which are handmade (albeit in China) and made from B20. Apparently, the DH and Classic stuff - especially the latest models made in the new factory - are every bit as good as the top Zildjian stuff, at 30-40% less cost!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Another vote for finding a few used quality cymbals. However, if you must buy cheap new cymbals, I will give a lukewarm recommendation for the Sabian B8 series. They sound like crap up close, but they sound OK from a distance. I recorded a jazzy brazillian group at a club and the drummer used these. I was surprised at how well they sounded on tape. I was 70% happy with them. With that said, you should be able to find used pro-quality hihat, crash and ride for about $400. Paiste's are made in Europe. Perhaps they are more affordable in the UK than US or Canadian made cymbals. Just a guess.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcroisdale ➑️
Too true.

I keep reading on here about people finding stuff cheap on eBay, but I think the reality in the UK is a little different.

I've been hearing good stuff about the Stagg cymbals - which are handmade (albeit in China) and made from B20. Apparently, the DH and Classic stuff - especially the latest models made in the new factory - are every bit as good as the top Zildjian stuff, at 30-40% less cost!
I haven't had much success finding cheap stuff on feebay on this side of the pond either. I think the feebay thing has played itself out. 90% of the stuff are stores selling new product that is generally costlier than I would pay at the local hut.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Zildjian A is not an expensive line and they sound good for rock. Start there.
Old 28th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
you can get used Paiste 2002 for a fairly reasonable amount of cash. they're great for rock.

another great cymbals that can be found FAIRLY cheap and that sound great are Sabian AA and AAX (those are a little bit more exp). at the moment, i'm using their AAX Stage set that i get VERY cheap and they're great.

i mean used, of course.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goliath|Audio ➑️
Zildjian A is not an expensive line and they sound good for rock. Start there.
A set of used Zildjian Avedis Quick Beats just went on eBay for Β£155. That half what I paid for my entire kit!

I'm starting another thread about this - I think the kit may be a bit of a bargain! See what everyone thinks!

Jim
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
The cheaper Avedis are the 60's and 70's ones. Readily available on Ebay.
I wouldn't buy any Avedis from the last 20 years. Not my cup of tea and quite expensive.
The older A's and early Sabian's are the best bargain around, but as others have told you, there are some nice, cheaper cymbals available new that are still pro quality.
Forget budget, beginner cymbals IMO.
Old 29th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I think in the Uk, sellers believa that older Zildjians and the like are 'classics' and therefore worth more........

No bargains to be had. Starting prices are often Β£100 - Β£200.

Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
But Β£100 is about the going rate for a decent used cymbal.
The difference between used professional level cymbals and the budget ones you've asked about?
The used high end cymbals will last you a lifetime.
However, you will want to quickly upgrade from that budget cymbal pack..... and will probably buy used high end cymbals at that point. So cut out the waste of time and money.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Well, I've bought some now!

I managed to find a full set of Zildjian ZXT's (hats, 2x crash, ride and china) in good condition for Β£140. (NOT on eBay!!)

This is a bargain, but I know they're not 'pro' cymbals. I reckon I'm going to sell them on Individually on eBay and make a profit, and then put the money towards something better.......

Jim
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
even though you already bought some, I am gonna say check out saluda cymbals, cheaper than the big three. I really really like them and you can talk directly to the man who makes them.

Saluda Cymbals - SaludaCymbals.com
Old 3rd February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Just a little note: Cymbals going to rise in price with in the next few month!
Old 6th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I've currently got my eye on an 80's Zildjian Avedis 18" crash in excellent condition.

Is it worth the Β£80 ($112) asking price?
Old 7th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:

Is it worth the Β£80 ($112) asking price?
Firstly it's only worth it if it sounds good.
Drumshack in London sell used Zildjian cymbals for more than Β£100.
So, Β£80 doesn't seem out of the ballpark.

Later than 80's A Zildjian are notoriously not that great.

I would say cap your timeframe no later than 70's for A's. They aren't more expensive.
50's, 60's and 70's are where it's at with A Zildjian.
Also, it helps if you can try the cymbal first. They all sound different.
If you want to put together a really nice Zildjian collection without hearing anything first, you'll probably have to buy and sell a few.
Old 10th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Well, I finally made my choice.

Sabian AAX 14" Stage Hi-hats
Sabian AAX 20" Stage Ride
Sabian AAX 16" Stage Crash.

All bought and paid for, 18 months old and at a fair price. A drummer in my old band had a set of these cymbals and I always really liked them, so I thought It would be good to buy cymbals that I had actually heard before......

I'm glad I did. They sound great.

A set of used Zildjian ZXT's anyone? Hahahaha.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Hey hey,

bit new to this forum ive been drumming for 16 years now, im 21 id recommended new, id never go for used cymbals no way of telling what abuse they have, it never a simple case of you hit it and create a nice sound, some drummers out there have very bad technique and can weaken the bell of the cymbal easily ive seen many drummers crack cymbal from bad technique, by new hand hammered is the best bet, look at the pro range Meinl, Sabian, and Zildjian, even Istanbul range if you can afford it.

dont buy cymbal packs, there cheaply made (the lower end that is), your best shopping around, testing out whats right for you everyones different, i have a pair of old sabian pro hats which i still use, just because i like the sound for live, when it comes to attack i tend to look at the AAX range from Sabian, and chinas the AAXtreme, if you want something more subtle look at the HHX range. its entirely personal preference.

-Alex
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neoni ➑️
Hid never go for used cymbals no way of telling what abuse they have

You're missing out on a lot of amazing sounding, reasonably priced cymbals.
Rides in particular are a pretty safe bet (abuse-wise).
Old 11th February 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso ➑️
You're missing out on a lot of amazing sounding, reasonably priced cymbals.
Rides in particular are a pretty safe bet (abuse-wise).
Im seriously not, ride cymbals fine, crashes and splashes, certainly not, aswell as chinas.

I can pay decent money for amazing sound from buying new. so i dont see it as a problem i see your point with vintage cymbals etc, but there just not worth taking the risk in my opinion.
Old 12th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neoni ➑️
Im seriously not, ......
i see your point with vintage cymbals etc.
Err kinda contradictory?

Each to their own, but I've bought and recorded many beautiful used cymbals.
Old 16th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hi all,

Well, I am well on my way to selling on the ZXT cymbals at a profit. I just sold the two crashes and china to the drummer in my band for Β£100. So I just need to get Β£50 for the hats and ride to be in profit.

They are on ebay now - fingers crossed!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
You'll like the AAX stuff, it's a little bright for some uses - but overall a pretty darn good cymbal line that's not terribly expensive. I've got a couple of AAX cymbals, though I've become very fond of the HH (the vintage dark sound records so well!).

Good luck!
"-)
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Yes, they are quite bright, butI quite like that.

They certainly don't have that nasty gongyness of the ZXT's. I find that to be much more annoying than a bright top end.

AAX's are nice and shiny too. And I like shiny things.....
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
They certainly don't have that nasty gongyness of the ZXT's. I find that to be much more annoying than a bright top end.
Weird then that you sold them to the drummer in your own band.
1) I thought you would prefer not to hear them again.
2) You knowingly sold terrible cymbals to a mate and made a profit on it.

(Confused)
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…