C&C Super Flyer Kits for studio? - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
C&C Super Flyer Kits for studio?
Old 16th April 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso ➡️
To me the kick seems to be the most unique, but good sounding, element.
Maybe order a kick and a snare...... then add a couple of toms over time?
Ya, I'm going to ask about ordering individual pieces and consider it (Although I agree about the 17 inch tom, I can't imagine it making that big of a difference and custom ordering heads is going to be a pain. I'm about to build a studio out in the country in Arkansas, so it's not exactly easy to get stuff out there).

Right now, I have a 1970's Slingerland kick that's 30 inches and shallow, I can get a very similar kick sound with that if I just tune it a bit tighter than normal and throw a pillow in there. I don't have a wooden snare and only one other snare one I like (A big metal Rogers snare from the 1960's), so the snare would be the most helpful to me right now in terms of what I don't have.
Old 17th April 2016 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Yeah, you are right, there are large diameter but shallow kicks out there (mostly high school band/orchestral), so you should be able to get that sound.
Sounds like the snare would be very useful.

If you don't want overtones and you aren't specifically going for the concert tom sound, I would steer clear of single headed toms.
Ironically, a two headed tom is more forgiving IMO and there are ways to tension the bottom head to reduce sustain.
Old 27th June 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Any more experience with the super flyers? How gimmicky are they? Can they handle rock or harder/faster genres? Does anyone have any samples of projects they have done with the set? Preferably not jazz since that is what shown in the YouTube videos and probably what these would fit in with most

Thanks
Old 4th September 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I pulled the trigger and ordered one in the sea green color from Chicago music exchange. The set up for mine is 20,12,16. I have a very small studio and need the best drums I can find with the smallest footprint. I'll also be relocating my studio from Taiwan to the US in 2018. I think the 20" super flyer kick will be more bang than boom and that's what I'm looking for.

In regards to single headed toms, their sound will depend on the head you use. I'm sure shell depth will influence it's tone, but heads will be a big factor. Carlton Barrett, the drummer for the wailers (Bob Marley) only used one head on his toms. They don't sound like concert toms to me. However, the depth of Barrett's toms were deeper than the super flyer.
Old 26th October 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Has anybody ordered their superfyer? Did it come it one box or two?
Old 26th October 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfJVtVXFXdc

I saw that Memphis Drum Shop ordered a custom one with bottom heads on the toms, that's a really awesome color combo as well! If I could get that combo with the 24 inch kick, I think I would be set!
Old 4th November 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by andersmv ➡️
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfJVtVXFXdc

I saw that Memphis Drum Shop ordered a custom one with bottom heads on the toms, that's a really awesome color combo as well! If I could get that combo with the 24 inch kick, I think I would be set!
I agree. That set sounds phenomenal. I've seen some other double headed tom superflyer sets on instagram, too. I didn't see that until after I placed my order. In hindsight, I probably would've ordered a bigger kick and double sided toms. But I'm still stoked and satisfied with my 20" superflyer. It still sounds great, especially the kick. And at 20" it's pretty damn portable.

It seems like you could order the superflyer in any size configuration (diameter, not depth) and any color. At the least, you could select from what you've seen on the internet color and size wise. You might have to wait a few weeks depending on the size of the shell since they are made from left over shells. You could order the toms with double rims too.

You could ask if depth can be customized by an inch or two on the kick. I don't know for sure
Old 14th November 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Update:

The kick on this set might be one of the best kicks I've played. It's perfect for a room/studio that's bedroom sized and has some acoustic panels. The toms, however, are harder to find the sweet spot. They sound great but make my snare rattle like hell. I found using some thin tea rags, or those red shop rags, fixes that problem makes the toms sound like a record from the 70's. Pretty cool. I'll see if I can post some samples later. At the moment, im just recording demos of new songs so any samples I post will most likely be kick, snare and hi hat. Maybe a crash, but no promises.
Old 19th March 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
A little sample from a song. Kick is the Super Flyer 20" with an aquarian modern vintage batter and an eq3 reso with hole. Two kick mics, one snare, one room, stereo overheads. I cut out some low end and dipped at 118hz on some mics with logics EQ. Thats it. no comp and no reverb
Attached Files

dou dou 3 test.mp3 (1.43 MB, 658 views)

Old 19th March 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ox Han ➡️
A little sample from a song. Kick is the Super Flyer 20" with an aquarian modern vintage batter and an eq3 reso with hole. Two kick mics, one snare, one room, stereo overheads. I cut out some low end and dipped at 118hz on some mics with logics EQ. Thats it. no comp and no reverb
Are you in Taiwan? I went to high school in Taichung, just wondering! That kick sounds great. The only other kick drum I've had with similar dimensions was an older Ludwig one that was metal. It always had an annoying resonance to it that stuck around way too long, probably due to it being metal though. I'm not hearing anything like that in your recording so that's encouraging. I've noticed that they are making a few of these sets with bottom heads on the toms now, I'm really interested in hearing those.
Old 20th March 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by andersmv ➡️
Are you in Taiwan? I went to high school in Taichung, just wondering! That kick sounds great. The only other kick drum I've had with similar dimensions was an older Ludwig one that was metal. It always had an annoying resonance to it that stuck around way too long, probably due to it being metal though. I'm not hearing anything like that in your recording so that's encouraging. I've noticed that they are making a few of these sets with bottom heads on the toms now, I'm really interested in hearing those.
Yes, I am in Taiwan. I've been living in Taipei for about 9 years. Which high school did you go to?
I mostly record my own demos in a spare bedroom in my apartment. Finding a bass drum that sounded good in a small room and had the smallest footprint are what attracted me to the super flyer. It's got more bang than boom, which is great for a tiny room. The deeper the depth, the more boom it has. If you check out the c&c Europe YouTube, they have a demo of a superflyer that sounds awesome.

I've clocked nearly every kick I've used in nearly every room always has a resonance that can be fixed by cutting eq somewhere between 110-150hz. It depends on the drum size, the mic(s) used and room.

Last edited by Ox Han; 20th March 2017 at 05:25 AM..
Old 20th March 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Here's the video I was talking about. This kit is single head. The double head kit on memphis drum shop sounds really good, too.

This kit has some dampening on it starting at about 1:50 and sounds unbelievable.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qYq4AKR8b5c
Old 27th August 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
In case anyone is still interested in this kit for a studio...
I'm recording drums for a hardcore punk album this weekend and I thought I'd use my superflyer and really challenge the kit
Let's find out in a few days how they sound
Old 29th August 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Like I said above, I recorded drums for 3 days for an aggressive style of music. It was the first time I really laid into these drums. Here's a bit of a summary for this interested.

1. The kick in this set is awesome. Still one of the best kicks I've played. It has a great sound and a nice tuning range for being 20x8. I'm confident there isn't really a genre it can't do. I can tune it to fit the sound I have in my mind incredibly fast. I've played this kick a bit and have tried a few different heads on it. I prefer the Aquarian modern vintage II with the felt strip and some type of muffling against both heads.

2. The toms are at the opposite end of the spectrum from the kick. Tuning them is difficult and they are incredible sensitive to the smallest adjustment. They want to be tuned high. I also had a lot of problems keeping them in tune after a few songs or takes. I was trying tune them medium low and that seemed to be opposed to the drums natural tendency, I wasted half my time tuning the floor tom. Perhaps this is a reflection of the drummer rather than the kit. The toms sounded good when they were tuned right, but it was a hassle. I need more time getting used to the toms honestly. The hoops on the toms also feel a bit flimsy. I had a lot of experience playing the kick and had experimented with a few different heads on it. For what it's worth, my struggle with the toms could be user error and being unfamiliar with the drums rather than a problem with the drums themselves.

Overall, the kit is great. I'm happy I've got it and this session taught me it can handle aggressive styles. I think experimenting with drum heads and being familiar with the drums are absolutely necessary to get the most out of this kit, especially if it's going to be a main kit in a studio or with a gigging drummer.
Old 1st September 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
My thoughts with the toms was to tune them high and then deaden the crap out of them for a 70's dead kit rock sound (or maybe even a motown kind of thing). I love the rings that BFSD makes (Big Fat Snare Drum), I keep one on a big old 15 inch 60's Ludwig marching drum. You should consider ordering some for the toms and see if that's something you like. I doubt it would sound good for everything but if I bought one of these kits, that was my idea!
Old 21st September 2018 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Hey y'all,

Just wanted to open this thread up again a year or so later. I'm thinking of getting a Superflyer and wondering if anyone can provide any more recordings to help sway my decision!

Portability: The obvious pro for me is portability. I live in a big city without a car. Public transportation is amazing so I thought I would just take advantage of it instead of getting a cab every time I have a gig or want to take it to practice. Does anybody have experience with this? The kit comes with a case that they all fit in correct? And the snare and other elements? Wondering if this is a good kit I can just roll around and use on the subway.

Sound: I've read in other forums that the kick and floor tom are questionable on these kits, or at least it's a struggle to get them to sound good. Another reason for me to get this kit instead of a far cheaper breakbeats or some other club kit is because of the low tones that I can get out of this. The music I play is psychedelic indie rock music, so I'm basically trying to imitate the low (sometimes muted) booms of a 60s/70s kit and I'm wondering if this kit will do it justice. The other C&C kits are amazing at this, but yeah... this portability thing is just too good to not look into. I think you can customize these things too... having slightly deeper shells and/or resonant heads on them, which may be a good option, although I'm sure C&C will want to charge extra for that.

Anyhow, Those are my main concerns, because as everyone knows, this kit is pricy. And I'm living in Europe, where the cost is even higher (although arguably the resale value is pretty good since I haven't seen anyone selling it used here). Thinking about even coming back to the states for a bit anyways and maybe would just snag one when I'm there since they are so portable.

If anyone could give me some thoughts on this I would truly appreciate it. I may open up another forum too if I can't get as much engagement here.
Old 21st September 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by seafuzz123 ➡️
Hey y'all,

Just wanted to open this thread up again a year or so later. I'm thinking of getting a Superflyer and wondering if anyone can provide any more recordings to help sway my decision!

Portability: The obvious pro for me is portability. I live in a big city without a car. Public transportation is amazing so I thought I would just take advantage of it instead of getting a cab every time I have a gig or want to take it to practice. Does anybody have experience with this? The kit comes with a case that they all fit in correct? And the snare and other elements? Wondering if this is a good kit I can just roll around and use on the subway.

Sound: I've read in other forums that the kick and floor tom are questionable on these kits, or at least it's a struggle to get them to sound good. Another reason for me to get this kit instead of a far cheaper breakbeats or some other club kit is because of the low tones that I can get out of this. The music I play is psychedelic indie rock music, so I'm basically trying to imitate the low (sometimes muted) booms of a 60s/70s kit and I'm wondering if this kit will do it justice. The other C&C kits are amazing at this, but yeah... this portability thing is just too good to not look into. I think you can customize these things too... having slightly deeper shells and/or resonant heads on them, which may be a good option, although I'm sure C&C will want to charge extra for that.

Anyhow, Those are my main concerns, because as everyone knows, this kit is pricy. And I'm living in Europe, where the cost is even higher (although arguably the resale value is pretty good since I haven't seen anyone selling it used here). Thinking about even coming back to the states for a bit anyways and maybe would just snag one when I'm there since they are so portable.

If anyone could give me some thoughts on this I would truly appreciate it. I may open up another forum too if I can't get as much engagement here.
Like I said, I found the kick very easy to tune and get sounding right. Toms not so much especially the floor tom. A kick drum is always hit in the same spot, so it’s easier to tune and then always have it sound right.

The toms sound good, but because one can’t always hit the same spot dead center, the toms vary in tone much more depending on where the stick strikes the tom. This is especially true for the floor tome because it only has six lugs.

I have a few recordings I can post. What kind of music do you play?

In regards to portability, it depends on what sizes you order. I bought 20,13,16. I need to remove the mount on the rack tom in order to fit inside the floor tom. I also must remove leg brackets on the floor tom to fit inside the kick. If you buy 22,12,16 I don’t think you’d need to do this, but you lose a bit of portability. I think the diameters can be custom to a certain extent, but I think depth is fixed since these shells are leftover shells.

The drums are light, but finding a good “portable case” is impossible. I was hoping to find something shallow like a 20x10, which might have a backpack feature. Nothing like that exists. The best you'll find is a soft case that’s 12” deep, or go custom ($$$$). A 20” case is still big to carry around on trains. To fly, I bought a 20x14 hard case with wheels for a kick drum. I could put the whole set nested and a Mono cymbal bag inside with the lid being flush. I didn’t have a snare nor kick pedal inside though.

The set only includes a snare if you pay the extra money for it. Super flyers do not come with cases at least not in the USA. Perhaps for extra cash?

The kick drum is awesome and if you could get by playing just kick and snare, I’d look into just ordering the superflyer kick drum if C&C is willing. Add the cymbal mount/stand and the tom mount and bracket, which you could use for a cowbell or tambourine. This way, you’d only need a snare stand and hi hat stand. That’d be a great set for anything and much more portable (kick, snare, one cymbal, hi hats - all in one case easily)
Old 22nd September 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
screw it! here are some tracks all done with the super flyer . One of which is in progress and one of which is an idea which lyrics and their melody eluding me. The last being the drums from a punk rock record that I tried to finish before leaving Taiwan, but had to many hurdles and thus lies unfinished.

First up: Excuse me. A song my friend wrote and I'm covering here.
Attached Files

excuse me.mp3 (6.32 MB, 410 views)

Last edited by Ox Han; 22nd September 2018 at 04:34 PM..
Old 22nd September 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
song 2: A song I like but can't seem to find a lyrical melody. I'm also just not a good enough singer to match this tune's vibe

A fill on the toms near the end
Attached Files

interlude 2 no organ.mp3 (6.27 MB, 355 views)

Last edited by Ox Han; 23rd September 2018 at 03:44 AM..
Old 22nd September 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
song 3: the drum tracks from a song on a punk record that we couldn't get finished.

These 3 songs should cover a few genres/styles for folks curious about what the super flyer can do. I think it's obvious these drums can do more laid back and softer styles as well, but there aren't many samples of people really laying into these drums.

I hope this last clip demonstrates that the super flyer really can do just about anything with the one exception being metal.
Attached Files

stop and ping drums.mp3 (1.74 MB, 313 views)

Old 23rd September 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Someone sent me a message saying these mp3s aren’t playing in their entirety. I checked and it does sound like they’re skipping or something.

Is everyone having his problem?

I’ll try to put them in a folder on google drive and share the folders link
Old 23rd September 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I didn't have any issues playing them.
Old 19th November 2018
Here for the gear

Hey Ox Han! Thanks for the thoughtful reply! Sorry, I didn't see this until now.

I really like the 20x8, it sounds great in your recordings. Very tight. I finally pulled the trigger on a used kit I found online. I had it shipped to my parents in the states and I'll go and get it when I come home to visit them. The sizes are 22 13 and 16, which in the end I'm glad, because I feel like I would kick myself if I at least didn't try out how the bigger kick sounds. You can check out my recordings of my other drum set here (seafuzz.bandcamp.com), which I recorded with a 22. My only regret is that the color isn't the Sea Foam green :/ which is the coolest option they provide in my opinion. I contacted them directly but it seemed they had a wait list and it wouldn't get done for who knows how long, so I just bought the Ox Red version I saw listed (first world problems ).

About the case, I've seen a couple around, but they seem really rare. My ideal setup for a project I'm working on would be to be able to have a tilt and roll case which would carry most or all of the drum set, and get an old school hi hat stand and kick pedal that can be folded up and fit into a backpack along with my laptop. I'm pretty sure this is possible but it's going to take some planning. Perhaps 22x12 or 22x14 could fit the kit (all inside the bass drum) plus a snare drum, with extra foam padding. Or take out the rack tom and just have the floor tom. I could attach the tilt and roll part on the back of one of those HardCases with wheels or get one of those rare Humes and Berg cases that people on instagram seem to carry with the super flyer. I've found a couple of these options not looking for bass drum cases, but for looking for steel drum cases or marching band bass cases, which are usually the dimensions we would want.

Anyways I thought I would just think out loud for a bit on the forum and maybe it will give us some ideas for how to transport these bad boys. Stoked to get mine!
Old 19th November 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Perhaps I didn’t share my experience, but I actually moved these from Taipei to Virginia in March. No snare though. Did you buy that set from Chicago guitar center? I actually just sold my kit and used that listing as a reference price.

Anyway, I nested the kit in a Hardcase rolling 20x14 bass drum case (had to remove the mount/leg brackets from toms) and wrapped the bass drum in a bit of bubble wrap(toms, too). Then, I cut a piece of cardboard from a 20” drum head box to the size of the case and put that on top of the bass drum. I placed my cymbal bag on top of the piece of cardboard and laid the spurs, floor tom legs, tom mount, cymbal arm and hardware on top the cymbal case in a sealed bag. I could close the case flush, which was important to me as it was going on two separate planes.

If you have a snare, kick pedal, hi hat stand, then things get a bit tricky. How are you traveling? Are you traveling for gigs or are you moving?

Those answers would influence my suggestions, but here’s on immediate alternative. Don’t bring the toms. Place the snare in a soft case, hi hats on top (wrapped in something), then nest the snare case in the kick. One crash/ride in a decent bag on top the cardboard. A remote hi hat pedal and snare stand on top, if they fit. Kick pedal is carry on in a mono kick pedal bag. Borrow stands if they don’t fit in the bass drum case.
Old 19th November 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I didn’t read your previous post. Sorry.

If you’re not flying, check out farmer foot drums 22” large drum case. It’s a soft, padded case, has a strap, and is 12” deep. USD $65
Old 22nd November 2018
Here for the gear

Yeah I bought that one from guitar center! I think there only might have been that one and maybe one other used one out there period. You just sold your kit? Any particular reason or just moving on to bigger and better things?

Like I said before, I'm an expat as well. And I live in Barcelona where the metro system is pretty amazing, and trains going all across the country. So the idea is to make a portable kit that is train-savy. I will definitely need one initial flight however, to bring the kit back with me, so I probably will go for some sort of hard case.

I think your idea of the 22x14 is a great one. If I can fit all the toms with the throne top (a simple and small one) with some padding/bubble wrap inside the bass drum and then stack a softcase that has my ride and hihats in it and snare on top of that, that would be the goal. Maybe I'm being too ambitious, or maybe I need to resort to getting a piccolo snare that don't have much depth. I'll size it all up once I see the kit in person before I buy any case. For the tom mount, tom legs, snare stand, hi hat, kick pedal, throne, etc., I'm looking to be able to fit this all in a backpack or suitcase. I've have a ludwig kick pedal that breaks down super well and I'm looking for a hi hat that will do the same (break down into small and lightweight pieces). Like I said, maybe I'm being ambitious. But if I can get the kit more or less into a big backpack and bass drum case, that will be a success. Another option is like you said, ditch the toms and fit as much as possible into the bass drum case.

Another really important part will be making this able to be rolled around. So the Hardcases are great cause they have wheels, but maybe I'll have to attach some sort of pull out handle onto it. This all requires some creativity.

One last question I'm going to ask, for if anyone knows... what do we think the dimensions are of the suitcase they use to carry the drums in this video: YouTube

?? This could potentially solve all my problems. Maybe I'll email C&C directly about it...
Old 22nd November 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I sold it because I have kids and a new job. My reality is that it is very unlikely I’ll make music again, let alone record, in the foreseeable future.

I doubt you’ll get a throne and all that stuff in any kind of case. If you’re determined, I’d go remote hi hat on a snare stand if it can work. It might be too heavy.

If your gigging, I’d just borrow stands/throne. Use a chair/stool as a throne if you need to. It’s not that terrible for one show.

When you move back, sell all of your stands and throne and buy new ones after you’ve settled.

Dixon actually have really cheap stands that are great for playing at home or keeping in a practice space
Old 22nd November 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Again, kick pedal in a shoulder bag. Mono make a great one. It holds sticks, too and has a storage pocket.

Drums in one bass drum case and pedal in the mono bag and you’re good to go.
Old 22nd November 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by seafuzz ➡️
Yeah I bought that one from guitar center! I think there only might have been that one and maybe one other used one out there period. You just sold your kit? Any particular reason or just moving on to bigger and better things?

Like I said before, I'm an expat as well. And I live in Barcelona where the metro system is pretty amazing, and trains going all across the country. So the idea is to make a portable kit that is train-savy. I will definitely need one initial flight however, to bring the kit back with me, so I probably will go for some sort of hard case.

I think your idea of the 22x14 is a great one. If I can fit all the toms with the throne top (a simple and small one) with some padding/bubble wrap inside the bass drum and then stack a softcase that has my ride and hihats in it and snare on top of that, that would be the goal. Maybe I'm being too ambitious, or maybe I need to resort to getting a piccolo snare that don't have much depth. I'll size it all up once I see the kit in person before I buy any case. For the tom mount, tom legs, snare stand, hi hat, kick pedal, throne, etc., I'm looking to be able to fit this all in a backpack or suitcase. I've have a ludwig kick pedal that breaks down super well and I'm looking for a hi hat that will do the same (break down into small and lightweight pieces). Like I said, maybe I'm being ambitious. But if I can get the kit more or less into a big backpack and bass drum case, that will be a success. Another option is like you said, ditch the toms and fit as much as possible into the bass drum case.

Another really important part will be making this able to be rolled around. So the Hardcases are great cause they have wheels, but maybe I'll have to attach some sort of pull out handle onto it. This all requires some creativity.

One last question I'm going to ask, for if anyone knows... what do we think the dimensions are of the suitcase they use to carry the drums in this video: YouTube

?? This could potentially solve all my problems. Maybe I'll email C&C directly about it...
That suitcase is in the video for acestetics. No way a kick fit in that thing. Also, you’ll need something that can be checked and protects the drums from being smashed or crushed when the time comes.

Check that farmers foot drum case for local train travel and a Hardcase or SKB for flights
Old 22nd November 2018
Here for the gear

Thanks for all this advice! That farmers case would be great for local travel, I'll look into it. Ok, I'll let you know how my journey goes and if I'm able to get a workable set up. I'll go home for the holidays and try to sort this out while I'm back home. I'll post some pictures on the forum when I can, if nothing else I think it could be useful for anyone that comes across this forum in the future (like I did), and give them some more tips on how to be a mobile drummer. It's a shame this market hasn't been exploited more. You would think traveling is one of the most obvious downsides to playing drums, and that there would be a lot more options available for us by now. Nesting kits have been a thing for a while I guess, but this market definitely hasn't been explored as much as it could in the 'professional drum set' world.

Anyway I definitely wish you well and hope you can still dedicate a bit of your time to playing music!
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…