The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Surround MP3s
Old 18th November 2007
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Surround MP3s

Do any of you guys have artists selling surround MP3s? Do you guys think that this would help artists at all?

See http://www.all4mp3.com

I was thinking of offering extended 5.1 remixes in addition to standard MP3s, OR selling the CD with the surround mixes only.

Thanks.
Old 19th November 2007
I have heard these and they DO sound amazing.. definitely a tec development area worth keeping an eye on IMHO..
Old 19th November 2007 | Show parent
Peter Wells, SVP Operations, Customer Advocate - Tunecore

🎧 15 years
We're looking into it. Sometimes I wonder if there are hours in the day to explore all the new things popping up!

--Peter
[email protected]
Old 20th November 2007 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Don't some mp3's at 128K sound like they are in surround already -- or is that just my head spinning?...

John
Old 21st November 2007 | Show parent
Founder CD Baby

🎧 10 years
Smile John's head is spinning

Quote:
Originally Posted by paterno ➡️
or is that just my head spinning?
I'd been meaning to ask you about your spinning head, John.

It's kinda freaking me out.

Old 26th November 2007 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Sivers ➡️
I'd been meaning to ask you about your spinning head, John.

It's kinda freaking me out.

Hello Derek --

I'm not trying to be a total wise-guy here, but I think this is where one of the greatest divides that exists between the consumer and the pro. And it comes down to how people 'use' music as a commercial product. Users of the product might not seem bothered by it, but those of us who sit in front of speakers all day long have a different take on it.

When I sit in front of a set of speakers, or put on headphones, 128K mp3's sound to me like the center image 'jitters' for lack of a better term [and not in the technical sense of the word as applies to digital audio]. I never feel that center information sits comfortably and stable-y. It's almost like the phase information is not quite accurate. While a bit more extreme than a 128 mp3, if you have a CD copy of Sly & the Family Stone's 'Thank You (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin)', listen to it in front of a set of speakers, or in headphones. The drum overheads are out of phase. As an audio professional, my stomach literally gets unsettled by it.

As a music fan and musician, it is one of my favorite records of all time !!!!! So I just don't get too close to it, in a professional-listening-sort-of-way

FWIW, I think 160 is the lowest rate that doesn't make me queezy. I was happy when EMI allowed for uncopy-protected releases and thus paved the way for higher quality mp3 releases.

Don't get me started on surround... HA !

Cheers, and glad you guys are sharing your POV here...

John