look what deadmau5 got today... - Page 6 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
look what deadmau5 got today...
Old 31st January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lago ➡️
Or they just want to enjoy life, it's not really a big deal, and in the end it's none of our biz where he (or anyone making a lot of money) is spending their money on.
It's not our biz when they make throw it out in the public domain for all to see, and to a greater extent, comment on?

Oh... I thought there was this thing I had called a keyboard, which in turn allowed me to use forums which were marketplaces of ideals and open dialogue...

Turns out I was completely wrong!
Old 1st February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehlord ➡️
Probably my favourite band ever.

25 years later and I still never get tired of listening to Stella.

Bliss.

Its this that gets me. Sure do what you like with your money, I'm never jealous of what other people have, it just riles me that with such a machine Mr Maus wont be creating a Stella any time soon.
I would personally have to feel I was another Boris Blank, Peter Gabriel, Kate Bush, or Trevor Horn etc before I thought I would spend that much on something.

They are not trophy toys to me, they were the machines that facilitated the visions of geniuses.

I know there is a mental space were these things just smell nice, and have their own aura about them - but that kind of mentality applies to collecting anything, cars or snuff boxes - and it buds off from the reality of the existence of these things when they were burning hot, creating hits. All you are doing, unless you are creating music as good as the past greats - is touching the hem of the Kings gown, and hoping some kind of glory with be transmuted to you.

Plus, Boris Blank would be just as creative with his macbook and probably is...
Deleted 0dfcc1b
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkerton ➡️
People hate him because he's a self appointed spokesperson for American electronic music, famous enough to where the ignorant majority will believe anything he says, and he really doesn't know s**t. Really if I hate anybody its America, or american pop culture as it currently exists. If we weren't so easily bamboozled this guy would not be famous on any level
There is a very specific reason why pop culture in America is why it is...
If you shut off the sound to say the Madonna, Super Bowl Half Time Show, yea its horrible, like watching a bunch of bad actors.

That's for a whole nother discussion all together...

But besides that, he isn't American, he is Canadian. One thing I've always wondered is why he admitted to that.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_martin ➡️

But besides that, he isn't American, he is Canadian. One thing I've always wondered is why he admitted to that.
He's probably proud of being a Canuck. Nothin' wrong with that.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by recnsci ➡️
Well, that's because you live in US. You have no idea what kind of **** exists on this planet. US pop culture is not worse than any other. And Deadmau5 is just average guy in showbiz IMHO, I can't see anything especially negative about him.
you havent seen a photo without the mask yet
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_martin ➡️
But b esides that, he isn't American, he is Canadian. One thing I've always wondered is why he admitted to that.
Maybe because he is Canadian, not American. Sounds logical to me....
Old 1st February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Easy with the $19K price tag.
If he bought the NAMM demo it probably cost him around $4-5K tops.
Old 1st February 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I cant be bothered to read the last few pages of sludge, but I will say this... Joel is actually a nice guy who is just getting on with it as he feels. He is making tunes and buying whatever gear he can, like all of us. Sorry but, if you don't like it, you're jealous innit.
Old 1st February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
why even question someone's decision to experience a fairlight. is that any more extravagant than buying an early mac and turning it into a fish tank? The thing is cool. it's also a piece of electronic music history, and not everyone has used it...so that makes it kind of esoteric in a sense. Power to him.

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I can understand arguing about gear - and not agreeing on something. Makes sense...

But i don't understand arguing over other people (i.e. Deadmau5 in this case). Even after dozen posts moved, people still talk things that have nothing to do with this topic.

Why? Seriously! Why so much hate?!!

Can't we just discuss Fairlight in here?

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlmorley ➡️
I'll leave it there Don
Seriously!
Turned out you were right! (Unless someone did a prank on us with "i've heard this" from mr. Vogel).

Hardware unit uses additional processing.

So the sound might indeed be different!!!
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris ➡️
I can understand arguing about gear - and not agreeing on something. Makes sense...

But i don't understand arguing over other people (i.e. Deadmau5 in this case). Even after dozen posts moved, people still talk things that have nothing to do with this topic.

Honestly, in a world where we have Jersey Shore or Kim Kardashian ( replace with your favorite "talent") who do nothing much (or Footballers being paid £100,000 per week in the UK. Think about it. They can buy a CMI 30a with 1 days (yes 24 hours) wages for playing football), we are attacking a guy who makes music and happens to be successful at it.
Like it or not, he's making money and spending quite a lot on tasty gear.
Good luck to him.

Anyone who has actually made any money in the music industry realizes it's hard work, you need to be smart AND yes, you need luck, but you do make your own (and like every rule, there are exceptions to prove it!)

Anyway, it's all good Don. I agree with you that it's not a Series III or IIx but I can imagine it being a useful tool for the wealthy artist AND I believe that with the power of the card, it will be open to serious upgrades (but Fairlight were always risky when it came to those!)
At least it's not a gold plated MPC60
Old 2nd February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

You're right. I apologize. I simply won't discuss the mau5 or the music of the mau5 henceforth.
Old 2nd February 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
He's such an ignorant self-absorbed egomaniac. He wants to "bring back the 80's"? News flash: the 80's were never gone to people whose interest in the music was not merely a trendy coincidence with the re-release of a classic sampler. Let's see how many videos he posts of himself actually playing the thing. More likely he'll spend his time taking yet another self-ingratiating public **** on culture and history he doesn't even understand.

Behold Herbie exhaling an entire era of music on said sampler.

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
^ just when I started to get a bit of hope with the thread...back to square one.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravan ➡️
He's such an ignorant self-absorbed egomaniac. He wants to "bring back the 80's"? News flash: the 80's were never gone to people whose interest in the music was not merely a trendy coincidence with the re-release of a classic sampler. Let's see how many videos he posts of himself actually playing the thing. More likely he'll spend his time taking yet another self-ingratiating public **** on culture and history he doesn't even understand.
no man, he have money, that doesn't mean he can buy whathever him wants. I bet you know lots of rich people that when they start something they buy all the best stuff for sale, and after 5 months they are not even using it anymore.

the same happens to deadmau5, he'll probably never use it in a single production. but that doesn't mean he can't have one. Actually it's because of him that i, and many other people around here knows this forum. He used to be a guy like us that buys lots of gear to make his musics. But he made success and us, don't, yet... Now that he has lots of free time and money in his hand he's making stuff that he always wanted to make.

As we have some dreams, he has his too. So there's no reason to hate him, i think
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Can you please clarify something for us here? What, in your mind, constitutes hate? Expressing one's opinion in regards to not being a fan of a particular flavor of music? Articulating that a certain production style is not paletteable to one's ears?
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
^^^^ Spot on, but like @ravan - I'm waiting for the ideas man....
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmuck ➡️
^ just when I started to get a bit of hope with the thread...back to square one.
The topic of discussion was "Look at what deadmau5 got today." OK. Looked. Interesting piece of equipment, uninteresting arrogant somewhat mean-spirited user. Let's just see what the man does with it.
Deleted User
Quote:
The topic of discussion was "Look at what deadmau5 got today." OK. Looked. Interesting piece of equipment, uninteresting arrogant somewhat mean-spirited user. Let's just see what the man does with it.
you have just said nothing. well done
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
The topic of discussion was "Look at what deadmau5 got today."
So if he would say "time to hit the club" you would also assume that he was going to strike a piece of wood? It's your over the top reaction at taking "Bring back the 80s" completely literally that is causing the facepalm.
Quote:
uninteresting arrogant somewhat mean-spirited user.
But not so uninteresting that you could keep yourself from working up a frenzy and posting about it in an angry manner.

Why bother following people that don't interest you?
Old 3rd February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Because musicians are often insecure and have a propensity for pettiness, which is further magnified by the anonymity and distancing effects of the internet?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypetrain ➡️
"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."
Actually, great minds implement ideas.
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer ➡️
So if he would say "time to hit the club" you would also assume that he was going to strike a piece of wood? It's your over the top reaction at taking "Bring back the 80s" completely literally that is causing the facepalm.

But not so uninteresting that you could keep yourself from working up a frenzy and posting about it in an angry manner.

Why bother following people that don't interest you?
I know, I know... I shouldn't post when I'm going through caffeine withdrawals. He's an unpleasant human being at times, but I need to be more zen about it... I now owe 50 constructive posts as penance for my incontinence.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
For those who actually want to discuss Fairlights, I was lucky enough to score a IIx not too long ago... Those Fairlights have a sound unmatched by anything today!

(Synclavier, but they were doing their own thing too... 100khz converters back in the day!!!)

Amdrews
📝 Reply