look what deadmau5 got today... - Page 5 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
look what deadmau5 got today...
Old 31st January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceman ➑️
This whole thing is actually an emulation , not a 1:1 reproduction of the original Fairlight.

I'm sure it still sounds vastly superior to their iPad based emulation ( better be at this price, unless... that's the reason he's smiling heh )
An iPad Fairlight. That sounds about as plausible as an iPad girlfriend. And about as appealing. Good grief. Next there'll be iFood to lick off the touchscreen and iPets....unless there are some already of course......iHavehadenoughalready.
Old 31st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
coolest sesame street episode ever

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris ➑️
May i recommend: Yello

Aside the stellar production, Boris swears over his Fairlight. Even in an interview in something as late as 1990.

Probably my favourite band ever.

25 years later and I still never get tired of listening to Stella.

Bliss.
Old 31st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
There's a lot of animosity towards Deadmau5 on here. I get that many of you don't think he should have all the gear if he's not using it in his tracks but why can't his job and his hobby be separate? What if he was a rich doctor who owned a ton of rare modulars but never released any music. Would you still be negative about it? Deadmau5 seems to be the poster child for gearslut so I don't see how his music/career matter. It comes across sounding like jealousy more than anything when you bash the guy. One of the biggest gearslutz I know is an attorney. He's never put out any music. He just loves to play with his toys at home. Is it wrong for him to own all those vintage synths and not be making "good use" of them? I don't think so. He can do whatever he wants with his money.
Old 31st January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
He is a very slutty man!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
TBH I'm not happy with this new thing advertised as Fairlight.
Well i guess you're pretty much paying for a finer real-time emulation from those Crystal Core DSP's ( as opposed to the iPad's processor ), and a vintage cool hardware interface. But it's pretty much a software emulation yes...

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceman ➑️
Well i guess you're pretty much paying for a finer real-time emulation from those Crystal Core DSP's ( as opposed to the iPad's processor ), and a vintage cool hardware interface. But it's pretty much a software emulation yes...
If this turns out to be true (and i'm currently searching for all the documents i can gather on the internals of this new Fairlight), then yes, this guy has a plenty of reasons to smile. He just sold a pup to Mr. Mau5 and i'm not happy about it at all.
Old 31st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I was ( obviously ) joking. I highly doubt that he's just running a new version of his iPad app from inside that big box.

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Sorry, i quoted the wrong message. It's corrected now.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammytaters ➑️
People buy luxury items when they have self esteem problems.
which is also why people hate on deadmouse
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
David, I've just checked Fairlight 30A specs and can't find any (in depth) info on the analogue path signal section.

If the new Fairlight does not contain original converters, analogue VCF stage with SSM2044 filter chips and analogue VCA section (to produce the saturation effects) signature sound of Fairlight, then i am afraid Acid Hazard might be on to something.

It was clearly stated that the sound is modelled to sound like the old CMI. Not my thing hence I won't be buying a new one (money obviously being another slight issue!) BUT it was clearly stated by Vogel.
ALSO, this does imply that the only thing about the Fairlight is the converters. The system is what I love. The way it works and how each part is integral to the system and the quality of the whole machine timing wise. Sound is of course mega critical, but we are assuming a lot about this, no?

I don't think Deadmaus doesn't know this.

But saying that the iPad app does the same by someone who has never used either system is simple speculation and based on assumption.

In any case, my stance is that until I have heard the new one, I'll reserve comment on how good it sounds (or not) BUT I have yet to hear a poor sounding Fairlight machine, be it a DAW like MFX or a CMI.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
... He just sold a pup to Mr. Mau5 and i'm not happy about it at all...
To be fair, while i don't think much of his music, i believe the Mouse is technically literate and knowledgeable enough to understand from this PDF ( http://www.fairlightinstruments.com....er_Feb2011.pdf ) that he is basically getting a software emulation in a very fancy interface, and not something even remotely similar in hardware to the original CMI.
It's pretty much a luxury item. Like a gold plated Moog Voyager.

Edit : oops. Dlmorley beat me to it while i was writing this. What he said.
Old 31st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I, for one, am glad that mr. Maus did exactly what every proper 'slut would given that much disposable income: he bought a ****load of amazing synths. Pretty indifferent about the man and the music.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer ➑️
Were you born with an innate understanding of Eurorack? heh
Exactly.

I think it's quite cool that the mouse made a vid of what it actually means to get a new system.

Iow. not acting as if you're a know-it-all like Acid Hazard here.
Old 31st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Waiting anxiously for a shoot-out in the gear-shoot-outs-sound-file-comparisons section between the 50$ iPad app and the 20.000$ CMI-30A "hardware" version
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Hazard ➑️
A waste of money is a waste of money. I don't care who buys the damn thing, $20,000 for a sampler that is out dated and out matched by a damn iPhone is just stupid. Plain and simple.

its not a waste of money. With a sampler you can sound like anything your imagination wishes to conjure up - that's its essence as a unique fully fledged musical instrument. A whole generation have been brought up with soft samplers and the general thinking is their only good for playing back sample libraries. They have effectively been dumbed down. Theres also the sound of many of those hardware samplers which isnt re-created via any soft sampler. Your outdated and outmatched by an Iphone analogy isnt true.

I will always maintain the explosion of the EDM scene was due to the sampler (hardware samplers) - and not analog synths which seems to be the general understanding. It was the door allowing thousands of artists being able to produce dance music records. The samplers influence on this scene is severely under-credited.
Old 31st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Yello-Kiss in blue - YouTube

Sorry, dont know how to do that youtube link thing.

In reference to Yello (Boris) using a Fairlight. The epitome of the obsessive studio geek. Heres a bloke who would run 72+ channels on an SSL and know what was coming through each channel on the desk without naming them.

I got quite a shock when out of the shadows he stepped and there he is doing a duet. Boris has a sugar coated voice. I liked the intentional cheesyness of the video.
Deadmaus, to join the club you need to do the same
Old 31st January 2013
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlmorley ➑️
ALSO, this does imply that the only thing about the Fairlight is the converters. The system is what I love.
In that case, he could have bought the original one.

Not only he would get the system, but the SOUND as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlmorley ➑️
But saying that the iPad app does the same by someone who has never used either system is simple speculation and based on assumption.
I've tried the iPad CMI (non pro). I've also read all the CMI and 30A docs i could find. TBH i see no difference aside the CPU part. At this point, after reviewing it all, i'm ready to put my money on it: There should be no sonic difference between the two. Unless Mr. Vogel hid some magic box inside that white case. heh

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceacademy ➑️
In reference to Yello (Boris) using a Fairlight. The epitome of the obsessive studio geek. Heres a bloke who would run 72+ channels on an SSL and know what was coming through each channel on the desk without naming them.
I remember this one:

Boris and his samples. Fairlight hidden below the desk.
Old 31st January 2013
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
http://fairlightinstruments.com.au/cc1_brochure.pdf

A teeny bit more power than an ipad.
That card costs. It's based around that. Like I say, too rich for me, but as I mentioned before, he could have bought a 60's strat for more.
In any case, a moot point. I am sure it is a serious system. I'd rather have it than a $20k 8 voice analogue poly. Let's call it an enthusiasts machine. Great OS, added features compared to the original, perhaps not sounding as good, but who knows? and it's new.
In deadmau5's world, it's probably a tax write off.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
mmm.. maybe I was right about that Mona Lisa smile after all..

Quote:
At this point, after reviewing it all, i'm ready to put my money on it: There should be no sonic difference between the two. Unless Mr. Vogel hid some magic box inside that white case.
Mr Mousey is RICH. Perhaps he doesn't care about the original CMI and don't want to bother with dealing with those antique floppy disks. Maybe he just wants the iPad app with a better hardware controller and doesn't mind being overcharged 19.950 $ for it. Just because he CAN.

I'd be curious about how many CM30A units he sold ( or pre-sold )

Edit : and this is actually giving me hope for an eventual Synclavier plugin for..hum.. 50$. NED, are you listening ?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I had a strong interest in Fairlights for years. It was probably because I couldn't afford one in the early 80s for 65k...or whatever it was.

I'm also a bit lazy. And lazy doesn't work with Fairlight. Boredom will set in within minutes if not seconds.

So this is my substitute, and I'm very happy. It brings back a lot of the good things about the Fairlight..and the Emulator.

Vintage Samplers
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Yes. I've mentioned it earlier, only difference is the CPU part SNIP

I'll leave it there Don
Seriously!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveswisher ➑️
There's a lot of animosity towards Deadmau5 on here. I get that many of you don't think he should have all the gear if he's not using it in his tracks but why can't his job and his hobby be separate? What if he was a rich doctor who owned a ton of rare modulars but never released any music. Would you still be negative about it? Deadmau5 seems to be the poster child for gearslut so I don't see how his music/career matter. It comes across sounding like jealousy more than anything when you bash the guy. One of the biggest gearslutz I know is an attorney. He's never put out any music. He just loves to play with his toys at home. Is it wrong for him to own all those vintage synths and not be making "good use" of them? I don't think so. He can do whatever he wants with his money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike vee ➑️
which is also why people hate on deadmouse
People hate him because he's a self appointed spokesperson for American electronic music, famous enough to where the ignorant majority will believe anything he says, and he really doesn't know s**t. Really if I hate anybody its America, or american pop culture as it currently exists. If we weren't so easily bamboozled this guy would not be famous on any level
Old 31st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
He's Canadian, not American.
Old 31st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
So what?
Old 31st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Ok, i thought you were referring to him as an american.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkerton ➑️
Really if I hate anybody its America, or american pop culture as it currently exists.
Well, that's because you live in US. You have no idea what kind of **** exists on this planet. US pop culture is not worse than any other. And Deadmau5 is just average guy in showbiz IMHO, I can't see anything especially negative about him.
Old 31st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Maybe it is. We all live in our own bubbles to some extent. Doesn't make it any less stupid.
πŸ“ Reply