Quantcast
Building tension - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Building tension
Old 26th September 2012 | Show parent
  #31
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer ➡️
nice compact link.. some theory dont hurts. to inspire fumbeling around of cause..
Old 27th September 2012 | Show parent
  #32
Gear Maniac
 
jessestephens's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioconsult ➡️
following that advice house and techno never would have happened... thats a fact and tells something about your statements..

music does fell out of a magical place and people that dont know that are no musicans.

what do you mean by blindly fumbeling around? not following a plan? a standard layout following music theorie? wouldnt it be better than to leave that part to the computer than and you just select the sounds?

thats what this about and explains the op´s problem.. where should excitment come from by following a generic formular? without an own musical idea? and how do you get that idea without "fumbeling around? from some magical place or stealing it from an real artist?

music without soul is enviromental noise

How, exactly, does learning more about your craft make you any less of an artist?

You clearly have no understanding of music theory if you think it is a "generic formula" for songwriting.

Music theory opens more avenues for you. It allows you to take your music in different directions than you would have taken otherwise. It doesn't force you into anything. The "rules" of music theory are soft rules. You don't have to follow them. They don't handcuff you from experimentation. I thought I made that perfectly clear in my earlier posts. I guess I didn't.

Should an architect not learn geometry and math? Should a painter know nothing about color theory and composition? Does learning any of this invalidate the art they create?

It is mind blowing to think there are artists that want to learn as little as possible about their craft.

Think about what you're advocating. You are advocating for a musician to be willfully ignorant about hundreds of years of compiled experience. You're implying that it somehow gives his music more "excitement".

Beethoven continued to perform and compose music after he was completely deaf. He did this through his mastery of music theory. Was Beethoven any less of an artist because he "followed a formula"? Does his music have any less "excitement" or "soul" because of this?

Also, the veiled ad-hominem attack on my artistic credibility is not appreciated.
Old 27th September 2012 | Show parent
  #33
Gear Guru
 
Yoozer's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioconsult ➡️
following that advice house and techno never would have happened... thats a fact and tells something about your statements..
What do you think those minor 7th chords come from?

Quote:
music does fell out of a magical place and people that dont know that are no musicans.
No, it does not.

So you come up with a 4 chord progression. "Wow, I thought of this - all by myself! It only took half a day messing with chords to find something that sounded good, but at least, I thought of it all by myself!".

No, you didn't.

Unless you've been living in the woods without a radio, without any music, since you were born - the reason something "sounds good" is because you've got a lot of reference material. It's all the music you've been listening to until then. No man is an island, innovation does not come from a vacuum, etc.

That reference material may be restricted to a certain genre, in the worst case - thus, what you consider to "sound good" has never moved to higher complexity. If you only listen to simple pop, it's hard to think out of that box - because with say, some jazz or classical progressions you wouldn't consider those to sound "good" out of context - unless you go out of your way to find "not-good" progressions.

Any progression you accidentally stumble on? Chances are that it's been used at least a dozen times by far more talented people.

This is why it's important to learn theory; you know what sounds good, because you can just take the reliable route and map a trajectory on this map.



But if you know that the map represents the "safe" trajectory, you also know how to get beyond safety. While fumbling around (never in a vacuum, always influenced by everything you've heard) you have no idea of safety, so you tend to gravitate to stuff that "sounds good". Which puts you back on the map again, with no way to get out.

audioconsult, you always speak so lowly of these kids that don't know the real history of techno, who call a nauseating form of dance music "electro house" without paying real respect to the roots of electro; the ITB bedroom warriors that ruin the entire music scene because they just rip off everything and don't bother to learn.

Obviously, you want them to be educated; to learn history.

There's no difference with music theory, because that represents centuries of history of way smarter and more talented people all figuring things out and making mistakes.

Why would that particular history be less special than the history of house and techno?

The answer is that it isn't. But - it's easy to come up with a strawman of a poor kid who's been drilled into piano playing since his 4th and can give a perfect rendition of Chopin and twice the speed, but who falls completely flat once you take the score away and tell him to play something by himself. That kind of rigid stereotype who's not allowed to ever color over the lines, only between.

But that's just that: a strawman. A philosophical worst-case concept. Though it tends to make people feel better who didn't put a decade of their life into learning to play an instrument, because hey, "if I can come up with this myself without learning anything, it's going to be better".
Old 29th September 2012 | Show parent
  #34
Gear Head
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer ➡️
the reason something "sounds good" is because you've got a lot of reference material. It's all the music you've been listening to until then.
At one point, my definition of "sounding good" was entirely defined by Merzbow. This was the result:
Untitled by Samavade on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free
Old 21st November 2012 | Show parent
  #35
Gear Maniac
 
orpheus_'s Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickSnare ➡️
At one point, my definition of "sounding good" was entirely defined by Merzbow. This was the result:
Untitled by Samavade on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free
Goodness that's unusual.

I kind of like it!
Old 21st November 2012
  #36
Gear Guru
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
to be honest... tension is what a good/real DJ does.

don't try and make a track into a "mix",,... maybe mix your tracks instead.
Old 21st November 2012
  #37
Gear Guru
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Haha.. didn't even listen to the link in the first post til now.

Um.. that's just a Supersaw sound...
If you have a PC. Get this JP6K

You can do that with one finger... it's just sounds like a chord cause it's really detuned.
BTW - Most modern day commercial EDM that all the young'ns are listing to today can be played with one finger. So don't worry about playing chords, but you might wanna learn how to program a basic "major 7th" into chord memory and your basically set... learn from there.
Old 23rd January 2013
  #38
Here for the gear
 
🎧 5 years
Lot of answers : ideas for breakdowns and build ups (electro house) - YouTube
Old 23rd January 2013 | Show parent
  #39
ozy
Lives for gear
 
ozy's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickSnare ➡️
bump
yes, that's one way of creating tension
📝 Reply
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump