Quantcast
Any Hallucinogen fans out there??? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Any Hallucinogen fans out there???
Old 22nd September 2012
  #1
Lives for gear
 
lineofcontrol's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Any Hallucinogen fans out there???

I necro'd this old thread, but it got no love in the Too much gear/time forum....

Simon Posford's Studio (Shpongle/Hallucinogen/Younger Brother)


This guy is a genius and has made some of my fave tunes of all time...


Any other worshippers at the altar of Goa (NOT Psy!) ?
Old 22nd September 2012
  #2
Lives for gear
 
Robonaut's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Oh, yeah, I'm quite keen on Posford's stuff.

And while I think that's he's immensely talented, I tend to find myself a bit disappointed by the sound quality of his tracks.

Not that they don't sound good, they do. But they don't sound great (to me). Compare Posford's stuff to something like "Paint a Picture" by Man With No Name, for example. "Paint a Picture" just sounds more "high end" to me than a track like, say, "Shakey Shaker" by Hallucinogen.

I wonder if that Mackie mixer is to blame. I'm kind of suprised he hasn't upgraded to an Audient, or at least a Toft.
Old 22nd September 2012
  #3
Gear Maniac
 
junipersuction's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
LSD is a great track. Also love all the old Dragonfly stuff - good times!
Old 22nd September 2012 | Show parent
  #4
BM0
Lives for gear
 
BM0's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by junipersuction ➑️
LSD is a great track. Also love all the old Dragonfly stuff - good times!


Goa trance is the best trance. IMO, it's what trance should only be.
Old 22nd September 2012 | Show parent
  #5
Lives for gear
 
login's Avatar
 
2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robonaut ➑️
Oh, yeah, I'm quite keen on Posford's stuff.

And while I think that's he's immensely talented, I tend to find myself a bit disappointed by the sound quality of his tracks.

Not that they don't sound good, they do. But they don't sound great (to me). Compare Posford's stuff to something like "Paint a Picture" by Man With No Name, for example. "Paint a Picture" just sounds more "high end" to me than a track like, say, "Shakey Shaker" by Hallucinogen.

I wonder if that Mackie mixer is to blame. I'm kind of suprised he hasn't upgraded to an Audient, or at least a Toft.
I would say the first two hallucinogen albums have a very raw sound, that is maybe intended and IMHO gives to both records a lot of personality. Also AFIK is all analog goodness.
Old 22nd September 2012
  #6
Here for the gear
 
🎧 5 years
Yea, i'm a big fan of Simon Posford! He is like crazy scientist of Psychedelic Trance music and not only.....
Old 22nd September 2012 | Show parent
  #7
Lives for gear
 
loujudson's Avatar
 
2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by junipersuction ➑️
LSD is a great track. Also love all the old Dragonfly stuff - good times!
Beat me to it! There was nothing in the world as good as Owsley's Windowpane in Marin in 1969... Nothing!

I stopped dropping around 1985 when the quality was going down, and exstasy was good but not the same.

Oooo, flashback! Cue up the Doors and Jimi, I'm coming onnnnnnnn!!!!!!
Old 22nd September 2012
  #8
Gear Maniac
 
bs333's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Mushrooms kind of make me sick to my stomach. LSD is nice though. The Beatles track "Flying" is the exact feeling I get while tripping.
Old 22nd September 2012
  #9
Gear Maniac
 
stixman's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
I'm a fan! And I love Mackie 3282! Still got one love it,
Old 22nd September 2012 | Show parent
  #10
Lives for gear
 
loujudson's Avatar
 
2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs333 ➑️
Mushrooms kind of make me sick to my stomach. LSD is nice though. The Beatles track "Flying" is the exact feeling I get while tripping.
you have to go through the nausea to get to the high, and it is worth it...

All drugs are poison, at least Shrooms are honest about it. Lal lal la la...

and Blue Jay Way:
There's a fog upon LA, all my friends have gone away...
Now they've lost them selves instead
Please don't be long, please don't you be very long... or I will be asleep...
Old 22nd September 2012
  #11
Lives for gear
 
audslu's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Guy is a musical genius , nowadays i sometimes listen to some of his downtempo stuff.
Old 22nd September 2012
  #12
Lives for gear
 
shaft9000's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
his Younger Brother and Shpongle projects are even better than Hallucinogen, imho
Old 23rd September 2012
  #13
Lives for gear
 
lysander's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Recently discovered the track "The herb garden" and was amazed by it, It almost makes you high just by listening to it
Old 23rd September 2012
  #14
Lives for gear


Awesome! 4.5 out of 5, only because...

Younger Brother's my favorite
Old 23rd September 2012
  #15
Lives for gear
 
4damind's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Yes, Simon makes very good and different (!) stuff. He tries not to copy others and makes is own style/ideas. I like it and sometimes more than this copy & paste trance from a lot of other guys.
Old 23rd September 2012
  #16
Lives for gear
 
Arthur Stone's Avatar
 
91 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I have a lot of their music on 12" vinyl; Angelic Particles is amongst my favourites but the Slinky Wizard stuff really rocks. Raja Ram and Goa Gil deserve a mention in these type conversations. Bom!
Old 23rd September 2012 | Show parent
  #17
Here for the gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Stone ➑️
I have a lot of their music on 12" vinyl; Angelic Particles is amongst my favourites but the Slinky Wizard stuff really rocks. Raja Ram and Goa Gil deserve a mention in these type conversations. Bom!
Does Goa Gil really deserve a mention in these conversations?
He might be a great dj and promoter of the sound, but he's not at all a producer.
Old 23rd September 2012 | Show parent
  #18
Lives for gear
 
Arthur Stone's Avatar
 
91 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by snozdog ➑️
Does Goa Gil really deserve a mention in these conversations?
He might be a great dj and promoter of the sound, but he's not at all a producer.
I apologise; I didn't realise the thread was exclusively about 'producers'. IME the line between producer and DJ in the Goa-trance genre has long ago dissolved...in fact, it was DJ's who first created the genre.
Old 23rd September 2012 | Show parent
  #19
Here for the gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Stone ➑️
I apologise; I didn't realise the thread was exclusively about 'producers'. IME the line between producer and DJ in the Goa-trance genre has long ago dissolved...in fact, it was DJ's who first created the genre.
Aye don't apologise to me, and you're quite right. Although I would say that the line between producer and dj was re-established once the genre reached a certain popularity and became known as 'Goa Trance.'

I didn't read the thread properly and assumed it was about Goa artists, rather than just Goa. And I would never name Goa Gil in a list of music makers.


Anyway, I'm still hanging out for Hallucinogen 3
Old 23rd September 2012 | Show parent
  #20
Lives for gear
 
Arthur Stone's Avatar
 
91 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by snozdog ➑️
Aye don't apologise to me, and you're quite right. Although I would say that the line between producer and dj was re-established once the genre reached a certain popularity and became known as 'Goa Trance.'
My understanding is that 'Goa Trance' existed before producers were involved...it was a fusion of German/Belgian techno and 'acid rock' with FX played at parties in India...it hit London early 90's and producers emerged as the music became commercial and mainstream. Producers were DJ's, studio engineers, musicians: TIP, Juno Reactor, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumbleweed ➑️
I didn't read the thread properly and assumed it was about Goa artists, rather than just Goa. And I would never name Goa Gil in a list of music makers.
You haven't heard his early mix cassettes then?

This Goa trance music was originally produced by Goa Gil 1995-ish:
Old 24th September 2012
  #21
AvS
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
I like Simon Posfords collaborations with other artists more than his solo stuff.
The fist Shpongle and Younger Brother albums are great but the new ones have just gotten worse and worse. I really dont get what happened to Younger Brother especially. First album was awesome and really fresh electronic music now its a pop/rock indie band with boring songs. Fine to go in a new direction but why not change the name when you change the concept? Anyway i still got huge respect for Simon Posford.
Old 24th September 2012
  #22
Lives for gear
 
Arthur Stone's Avatar
 
91 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Warning: contains synths!!!
Younger Brother
Old 24th September 2012 | Show parent
  #23
Lives for gear
 
CasimirsBlake's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvS ➑️
I like Simon Posfords collaborations with other artists more than his solo stuff.
The fist Shpongle and Younger Brother albums are great but the new ones have just gotten worse and worse.
Listening to his newer works it seems obvious to me that production and "jamming" have become more important to him than composing melodies. Hallucinogen was full of them, and lots of good ones, which is part of why they're still considered classic albums. And you're missing out, I would say. Shpongle is pretty hideous "new age psy-chill" at the best of times...
Old 24th September 2012
  #24
Here for the gear
 
🎧 10 years
nice thread

Hallucinogen definately rocks!

Lucky guys to be able to afford all the nice gear though and have the time to sit and trip and make music like no tommorow!

Also yes, the new-age-chill kinda annoys me at times or maybe its just that we've tripped and explored the music enough and its time to move to a new direction.. perhaps get back to organic music roots and innovate there..
Old 24th September 2012
  #25
Lives for gear
 
Optical Lens's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
HUGE Hallucinogen fan, going to Twistival in London the Nov 3rd!

Hallucinogen is the reason I bought the Orville LOL.
Now I am thinking about analog summing when I saw that video of Simon's studio..
Also, Benji uses Neve 8816.

Now I just miss the distressors
Old 24th September 2012
  #26
Gear Addict
 
umptanum's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Hallucinogen's 1st album came out in 1995. Go back and listen to it and then que up any of today's "psytrance" music and then ponder for a long time where everything went wrong.

I especially get perplexed knowing that kids today have access to all this early psychedelic trance music, the whole catalog, and yet they still somehow miss the boat completely.
Old 24th September 2012 | Show parent
  #27
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by umptanum ➑️
que up any of today's "psytrance" music and then ponder for a long time where everything went wrong.

.
Hey man.True a lot/maybe most psy trance of today is just some bad copy of some good music from the past.And yes some great classic music was made then.BUT there was loads of boring rubbish dished out too.Personally i like some of the music @ GOOD partys nowadays(Goa ect).Trully stripped back energy music.I find the oldy stuff cliqued and repetetive.Change my mind and put up a you tube link to something we could groove on now at a party.A friend of mine and also of TIP records lent me a ton of old cds got from the guys (TIP) and i went through them to find some dj material.Well,you knw what-out of 100 cds i found only a handfull of tunes(im being generous)worthwhile me playing.Some of there later stuff was to my mind 50 times better.Gotta wade through to find the gems but they are there.(i havent check recently but im sure it hasent just stopped : ]

edit-if you looking for dubby,improvised trancey music,yeah its kinda lost its way.Oh well....
Old 24th September 2012
  #28
Lives for gear
 
Optical Lens's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
The problem is the definition of psytrance. From 2000s, all music containing a nasal juno bass, a sharp blippy kick and some FX classified as psy.
Old 24th September 2012 | Show parent
  #29
Gear Addict
 
umptanum's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goa-Dubs ➑️
.Change my mind and put up a you tube link to something we could groove on now at a party.
I put this up at a previous thread about old psychedelic trance...

Here's a complete 12 hour set of psychedelic trance with tracks all from 1996... and they are all awesome. Press play and enjoy an entire night like it used to be.

Global Goa Party 2: The Mixes | Tales from the Goat Ranch

And here's the tracklist...

Global Goa Party 2: The Tracks | Tales from the Goat Ranch

Every track is unique and unclassify-able. No "darkpsy", "forest", "progressive", "minimal"... just pure psychedelic trance.

This was the greatest synth music ever made.
Old 24th September 2012
  #30
Lives for gear
 
Rogue Ai's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 5 years
I'm just wondering what you guys think of this track I made. (Yes, it's goa/psytrance)

Eternal Ethereal by Rogue Ai on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Same track that's in my signature. I haven't heard much Goa but the stuff I have heard was good. To me Goa sounds like the soundtrack to Extreme-G. Maybe that is why I like it so much. lol
πŸ“ Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 79 views: 33210
Avatar for rids
rids 1st July 2009
replies: 65 views: 9835
Avatar for RonaldDumsfeld
RonaldDumsfeld 26th March 2010
replies: 107 views: 28465
Avatar for Aktuator
Aktuator 28th October 2013
replies: 5198 views: 711684
Avatar for matt pinchin
matt pinchin 2 days ago
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump