The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Any Hallucinogen fans out there???
Old 30th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lineofcontrol ➡️
Ladies get a room.

Just give it a rest already. Can we just get back on topic?

Now. Sh101 or 303 - what do you think is better for Goa?
For Goa? 303 bass 101 lead. Personally id say I would like to hear more FM synths in Psy/Goa, but maybe I just havent been able to pick out the sound yet.

I know I love using FM8 and Sytrus for nice background soundscapes. I need to get hardware :/ 101 and DX7 is on my list after a modular!
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80SR ➡️
I would like to hear more FM synths in Psy/Goa, but maybe I just havent been able to pick out the sound yet.
FM bass in this track of mine:

Eternal Ethereal by Rogue Ai on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Already posted in the thread, but I'd point it out that it is (hardware) FM bass.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Ai ➡️

Eternal Ethereal by Rogue Ai on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Already posted in the thread, but I'd point it out that it is (hardware) FM bass.
Wow dude killer track! That funky dub breakdown was perfectly executed imho. I followed you looking forward to hearing more of you tracks.
Old 1st October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Ai ➡️

Very nice Lately ish bass indeed. Has almost an early EBM Front242 sound to it.
Old 1st October 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lineofcontrol ➡️
Very nice Lately ish bass indeed. Has almost an early EBM Front242 sound to it.
I love me some Lately Bass!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Nice track by The Delta posted earlier; always one of my favorite trance artists from the old school... search for The Delta on beatport now, you'll find the same guy doing very dark, heady techno... it's quite good IMO
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by controlvoltage ➡️
Nice track by The Delta posted earlier; always one of my favorite trance artists from the old school... search for The Delta on beatport now, you'll find the same guy doing very dark, heady techno... it's quite good IMO
The Delta = X-Dream
Old 1st October 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Good old Simon Posford! He was the main reason I bought an sh101! Most of his acid lines are 101 by the way. 303 was his lead in the Loin sleeps tonight if I remember correctly... 101 I found out is much more of a part of goatrance than 303 ever was. Not only bas and leads but blips and blops and lots of fx were from 101 as well...

I get what teenagers think about new psytrance. Sounds are still fresh for them. I still do play at some big festivals (which also has nearly nothing to do with the goa party concept), so I can see for myself. I used to organize parties, dj, make deco... I was a full blown intergalactic fluoro funkster BUT, psytrance doesnt cut it for me anymore, because of the same sounds and same compositions. Yes they are crazy sounds, but when you hear the same crazy sound or a little variation of it, it doesnt sound psychedelic anymore. The same arrangement also does not help! Hence todays psytrance does not sound psychedelic to me. I even have to run away from the high tempo, so called darkpsy. It is like death metal, with its band and track names, album covers and all, and it is NOT dark at all. You can scare people who are high on psychedelics with screeching sounds and sinister samples, but it doesnt resonate deeply. Whereas delta was dark or does anyone remember Cydonia? Dark was for the night, for reaching out the darkest spots of our soul and with the sun the music would turn around and we would reach for the light. Its a full blown hippie dream believe me. It sounds cheesy but I am proud to have been a part of it. I had the best times of my life on those small, weird parties Today, at the festivals, everyone has the dreads, the samey clothes, everyone looks like a goa freak and that is also so stereotypical. What I loved about this scene was it was all weird and original. The sounds, the people the deco! now recycled so much it all became stereotypical...

Anyways I still have hundreds of goa cds and hundreds of goa vinyl which I rarely play but when I do it takes me to those parties and great times not to places I was travelling in my mind back then...
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodomo ➡️
Good old Simon Posford! He was the main reason I bought an sh101! Most of his acid lines are 101 by the way. 303 was his lead in the Loin sleeps tonight if I remember correctly... 101 I found out is much more of a part of goatrance than 303 ever was. Not only bas and leads but blips and blops and lots of fx were from 101 as well...

I get what teenagers think about new psytrance. Sounds are still fresh for them. I still do play at some big festivals (which also has nearly nothing to do with the goa party concept), so I can see for myself. I used to organize parties, dj, make deco... I was a full blown intergalactic fluoro funkster BUT, psytrance doesnt cut it for me anymore, because of the same sounds and same compositions. Yes they are crazy sounds, but when you hear the same crazy sound or a little variation of it, it doesnt sound psychedelic anymore. The same arrangement also does not help! Hence todays psytrance does not sound psychedelic to me. I even have to run away from the high tempo, so called darkpsy. It is like death metal, with its band and track names, album covers and all, and it is NOT dark at all. You can scare people who are high on psychedelics with screeching sounds and sinister samples, but it doesnt resonate deeply. Whereas delta was dark or does anyone remember Cydonia? Dark was for the night, for reaching out the darkest spots of our soul and with the sun the music would turn around and we would reach for the light. Its a full blown hippie dream believe me. It sounds cheesy but I am proud to have been a part of it. I had the best times of my life on those small, weird parties Today, at the festivals, everyone has the dreads, the samey clothes, everyone looks like a goa freak and that is also so stereotypical. What I loved about this scene was it was all weird and original. The sounds, the people the deco! now recycled so much it all became stereotypical...

Anyways I still have hundreds of goa cds and hundreds of goa vinyl which I rarely play but when I do it takes me to those parties and great times not to places I was travelling in my mind back then...
You know, I do notice that alot of modern psy tracks have a bit more "angst" to them then older ones. Could be the culture or state of mind I suppose. Sometimes it is just nice to release inner anxiety into an angry sounding bassline
Old 2nd October 2012 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodomo ➡️
(...) BUT, psytrance doesnt cut it for me anymore, because of the same sounds and same compositions. Yes they are crazy sounds, but when you hear the same crazy sound or a little variation of it, it doesnt sound psychedelic anymore. The same arrangement also does not help! (...)
i agree with you on many points.
BUT, in my opinion, there was the same problems back in the so called 'golden age'.
i own myself a big collection of goa and psytrance vinyles from 1994 to 1998 and i can tell that most of them sounds exactly the same... very boring !
only some artists sound different... and i think it's the same story nowadays
you just have to seek what will fit your musical tastes.
off course there are many more producers now, so it's not quite easy to filter it.

in the another hand, we aren't 20 years old anymore... was the magic in the music or in our perception ?

Old 2nd October 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by hebe ➡️

off course there are many more producers now, so it's not quite easy to filter it.
agree,it's the main problem to much releases with nothing that stand out.

But it's not really similar, the music was different, everything was different, it's like comparing the 70's to today.
Old 2nd October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
LOVE Hallucinogen. That music brings back some amazing memories for sure.

That and the Union Jack stuff!

alexP
Old 3rd October 2012 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by hebe ➡️
i agree with you on many points.
BUT, in my opinion, there was the same problems back in the so called 'golden age'.
i own myself a big collection of goa and psytrance vinyles from 1994 to 1998 and i can tell that most of them sounds exactly the same... very boring !

in the another hand, we aren't 20 years old anymore... was the magic in the music or in our perception ?

The problem is people hear something and go "cool I want do that!" and then they do it very well. It is very hard to get new ideas to be accepted, but it takes somebody with charisma and drive to do it. Specifically it is that gated Wishhy sound.

Can't wait till my Atari Punk Console is done, glitchy sounds are always cool and I do not hear enough of them outside of chiptunes.
Old 8th October 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Love all Simon P. stuff, and Twisted....

here is my free album, Influenced by GOA and old trance, Twisted and more, feel free to download and please give me comment if you like it

http://www.tibprod.com/italy/albums/...d.%20Italy.zip
Old 26th November 2012 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Here's an Atmos track remixed by Posford...

From the notes...

"Simon popped round for a cuppa and did a live mix on the mixing desk. In the "olden days" before making everything inside a computer people would make their sequenced mix then put everything on a loop and make a live mix on the analogue mixing desk twisting the FX and EQ's, playing the desk like an instrument……this was a trick learnt from the days of Youth's Butterfly Studios….. Simon P., Ott and Greg Hunter were masters of this."
Old 21st March 2013 | Show parent
Deleted User
this is real oldschool

Old 22nd March 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

91 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
New album release 25th March 2013: Youtube TIP channel here: Tip Records / Tip World U.K - YouTube

Old 5th March 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
any new Posford news?

Will Hallucinogen 3 ever drop?
Old 6th March 2015
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
When he gets back off his super humongous world tour, yes!
Old 3rd June 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
His website confirms that a 3rd album is in the works:

Contact - Twisted Music
Old 4th February 2019
ABT
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Here is a comment from Simon he made that I copied from the psy producers facebook group (2018):

There were a few of us around making tracks for dance floors in Goa (although I never seemed to find the time to actually go to Goa - I was too busy making music!), Juno Reactor, Astral Projection, Eat Static, Total Eclipse, Man with No Name etc... But not many of us released a whole album at that time. It was mainly about making tracks to circulate on DAT tape, for the dance floor. I was making a track every 2-3 days, almost non-stop (Sheez I wish I could turn them out that quickly nowadays! It seems there are so many options and possibilities these days that it takes much longer to achieve anything)... inspired by tunes like The Age of Love and Alienated by Earth Nation... the stuff released on IQ records and other German labels. I didn't really know much about dance music at all, but I loved psychedelic music - I preferred the Ozrics to Eat Static, for example, I still reckon Merv needs to get back on the drum kit!!
I felt like a kid who desperately wanted to be part of the gang... to prove that "Look - I can make music that works on the dancefloor and sounds great on acid, too!" but the older musicians and DJs seemed like a boys club that didn't approve of anything that wasn't their particular flavour. Much like the scene now, I expect!
Old 14th November 2019 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Resurrecting to post a newly released track and an unreleased one:

Old 17th November 2019
Gear Maniac

Posford did brilliant stuff with Hallucinogen back in the day. Sounds like he eventually got bored with the genre, and moved on, perhaps understandably so. Sadly though, he really jumped the shark with the Shpongle thing, going down a path of new age drivel and world beat/musical tourism. On the other hand, Eat Static took the electronic psy stuff to another level over many more records than Hallucinogen did. Posford needs to get a modular and break some new ground, and please lose the cheesy flute, raja ram, new age crystals, and sitars.
Old 17th November 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by zlatanking ➡️
Posford did brilliant stuff with Hallucinogen back in the day. Sounds like he eventually got bored with the genre, and moved on, perhaps understandably so. Sadly though, he really jumped the shark with the Shpongle thing, going down a path of new age drivel and world beat/musical tourism. On the other hand, Eat Static took the electronic psy stuff to another level over many more records than Hallucinogen did. Posford needs to get a modular and break some new ground, and please lose the cheesy flute, raja ram, new age crystals, and world beats.
He has gotten a modular lol Follow his facebook page!

https://www.facebook.com/therealsimo...user_video_tab the new horrorgram posted earlier
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optical Lens ➡️
He has gotten a modular lol Follow his facebook page!

https://www.facebook.com/therealsimo...user_video_tab the new horrorgram posted earlier
Cool, maybe the modular will help then. Sorry boss, not on facebook, does anybody still use that stupid thing? I thought it was just a tool to spread disinformation and conspiracy theories?
Old 17th November 2019
Gear Nut

Around 1997 I was incredibly into goa. Rave and gabber were over their peak, and I loved the innovative psychedelic sounds and melodies coming out on Tip, Matsuri and Dragonfly. As anyone knows who was somewhat into goa, Simon was one of the staples of this whole scene. It would feel a bit arrogant to tell him what to do.

Having said that, the whole goa and psy sound always was a bit of a white hippy-ish thing, a bit polite, with underdeveloped rhythmic aspects. With its complex melodies maybe it was the classical music of techno. Punk or gangsta it was not.

Maybe I'd like to hear what Simon would come up with working with some Jamaican dub producers - good dub is also psychedelic, but more organic and rhythmically rich, while Shpongle was full of melodies and super trippy synthetic sounds.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I'd like him to record under his own name, and drop the baggage related to Hallucinogen, Shpongle, Younger Brother. Just a personal record for the moment, like Benji did.
📝 Reply