Quantcast
Any Hallucinogen fans out there??? - Page 5 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Any Hallucinogen fans out there???
Old 29th September 2012 | Show parent
  #121
Gear Addict
 
umptanum's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
I concede that if I was among folks of my age and we were really high and all were dancing to something like darkpsy it could easily be awesome as hell. And darkpsy has a lot of complex swooshes and spirals backed by hard driving energy that would be fun to groove on in that space.

Outside of that scene, though, when I'm everyday sober it has a hard time holding my interest musically. There's barely any melody, every sound stays within a limited spectrum, the rhythm is relatively static and the bass line is constant. This doesn't mean it's bad, just not my cup of tea at these times.

New psytrance is punk rock and old psychedelic trance is disco. All one needs to create today's psytrance is a laptop with some pirated software and samples. Its structure is simple enough that it doesn't require a lot of musicianship to pull it off. And this is awesome because I'm all for people doing their thing and making music they enjoy.

Old psychedelic trance was made with hardware synths and mixing desks. In order to make it you had to REALLY want to make it and invest a lot of time and money to get and use the equipment, thus people who were good musicians, who had access to studios and equipment, tended to rise to the top. Simon was an audio engineer by trade who obviously has musical chops too.

It's all good.
Old 29th September 2012 | Show parent
  #122
Gear Addict
 
🎧 5 years
Anyway, I actually want to talk about Psychedelic music to people who are genuinely interested. Sorry controlvoltage, I haven't ignored your post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by controlvoltage ➑️
OK, you're tough to please. Do me a favour and listen to Men 2 Deep's album "Floorest" ... if nothing on there makes you smile I will concede that we are on two different wavelengths... which is fine... tell, me do you have any personal favorite current electronic artists (goa or otherwise) you'd recommend as a really psychedelic good listen?
I'd say we are definitely on two different wavelengths then, I've been giving this a listen on YouTube and it doesn't really do much for me. If I was to hear it in a psy mix I wouldn't be dissatisfied at all, it doesn't grate on me or anything like that but I'm still really unsure of what exactly separates this from any other Psytrance when I listen to it standalone. To ask a question of you actually, what is it about this that really stands out amongst the other stuff in your opinion?

As for modern psychedelic music...electronic music I really can't tell you. If I knew of any, I'd be listening to it. I'm inclined to mention Forest Psy but I could disagree with myself here and say that maybe it's not psychedelic but it just happens to strike a chord with me. Kinda like Psytrance - I do listen to and buy Psytrance, but I enjoy on the grounds of "I really like this hook" or "I like the use of this sample" or "This feels energetic". I wouldn't consider them 'good psychedelic listens' as if they are something really evocative and interesting...just tracks that use gimmicks that happen to appeal to me.

At the risk of a certain someone using this as an opening to jump down my throat on semantics yet again I will post this one track I think happens to have at least a lot more psychedelic qualities than what is already out there. It's free of form, repetitive, quiet, chaotic, peaceful, scary...it changes a lot and does feel like a bit of a trip in itself. It's just a shame people have already began to compartmentalize this sound and formulate it, so digging deeper won't bring many fruitful results.



Shame it's low-quality though.
Old 29th September 2012 | Show parent
  #123
Gear Addict
 
80SR's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainball ➑️
Music isn't quantifiable full stop, so stop trying to act like it is. Goa Trance doesn't necessarily need a beat, go and check out some early Goa and you'll see.

Way to throw around things I haven't even said in a lame attempt to skew my argument, god you're a child. I sincerely hope the next generation of producers understands music better than your generation; they will have you beaten hollow.

Are you going to add anything constructive to the thread or just try and pick apart the semantics of people's posts? It seems very much like the latter to me. That article is very accurate btw, just because you're a fan of Deadmau5 is no reason to get pissy about the truth.

EDIT: And by the way, I HAVE told you why it isn't psychedelic. Because it isn't representational of the psychedelic experience. Modern Psytrance fits neatly into boxes and compartmentalizes itself - this in it's very nature is not psychedelic. Go and listen to the first psychedelic freakout jams of the 60s.
Musical genres are indeed quantifiable, hence the genre. I am not skewing anything, maybe you need to think about what you have been saying? Can you not handle the truth of what you sound like? Now you are calling me names as well, stooping to my level now?


I sincerely hope the next generation of producers understands music better than your generation; they will have you beaten hollow.

It is not about competition at all, and I think it is pretty shallow to say people will "win" at creating music. I am perfectly okay if some random angry person on the internet does not like my music. I am okay if I never get to play my music at a live event. I just like making music, music in general, synthesizers, and soundscapes that make my brain change its state of mind (even while sober). What I am not okay with is somebody spouting of their opinion as fact and downplaying something I like.

That article is very accurate btw, just because you're a fan of Deadmau5 is no reason to get pissy about the truth.

It is accurate in your opinion. There is nothing true about an opinion. And now you are changing the discussion.

Quote:
I concede that if I was among folks of my age and we were really high and all were dancing to something like darkpsy it could easily be awesome as hell. And darkpsy has a lot of complex swooshes and spirals backed by hard driving energy that would be fun to groove on in that space.

Outside of that scene, though, when I'm everyday sober it has a hard time holding my interest musically. There's barely any melody, every sound stays within a limited spectrum, the rhythm is relatively static and the bass line is constant. This doesn't mean it's bad, just not my cup of tea at these times.

New psytrance is punk rock and old psychedelic trance is disco. All one needs to create today's psytrance is a laptop with some pirated software and samples. Its structure is simple enough that it doesn't require a lot of musicianship to pull it off. And this is awesome because I'm all for people doing their thing and making music they enjoy.

Old psychedelic trance was made with hardware synths and mixing desks. In order to make it you had to REALLY want to make it and invest a lot of time and money to get and use the equipment, thus people who were good musicians, who had access to studios and equipment, tended to rise to the top. Simon was an audio engineer by trade who obviously has musical chops too.

It's all good.
Wow now here is a person that knows how to communicate an opinion without sounding like a tool (rare on the internet). Surprisingly, I agree with most of everything you said. Alot of it does feel like it had no thought put into it. I like the punk rock to disco analogy. This is also the reason I have begun circuit bending projects, and plans to invest in a modular system. I truly enjoy electronic music and sound design, and psytrance is the only dance genre (in my opinion) that truly encapsulates what can be done with analog circuitry.

On a sidenote, I am not really sure why I enjoy listening to crazy darkpsy so much and sober.
Old 29th September 2012 | Show parent
  #124
Lives for gear
 
dualflip's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80SR ➑️



Wow now here is a person that knows how to communicate an opinion without sounding like a tool (rare on the internet). Surprisingly, I agree with most of everything you said. Alot of it does feel like it had no thought put into it. I like the punk rock to disco analogy. This is also the reason I have begun circuit bending projects, and plans to invest in a modular system. I truly enjoy electronic music and sound design, and psytrance is the only dance genre (in my opinion) that truly encapsulates what can be done with analog circuitry.

On a sidenote, I am not really sure why I enjoy listening to crazy darkpsy so much and sober.
By no means im trying to start an argument, buy may I ask, how old are you? the reason why I ask is because, well It doesnt look like you've been listening for psytrance for a long time. Not saying that older people dont like listening to psytrance every day, its just that after some years, you become bored of it along the with entire LSD dance and rave culture. Ive been listening Goa and psy for 16 years now, and its by far NOT my favorite music, eventhough at some point when I was younger it was the thing I liked the most and the only thing I would listen to, sober or not.

I also used to swear that goa and psy were the only genres that would "take the most advantage of synths with complex sounds", everything else seemed simplistic, I was very wrong, and I see a lot of myself (10 years ago) on your comments.
Old 29th September 2012 | Show parent
  #125
Gear Addict
 
80SR's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dualflip ➑️
By no means im trying to start an argument, buy may I ask, how old are you? the reason why I ask is because, well It doesnt look like you've been listening for psytrance for a long time. Not saying that older people dont like listening to psytrance every day, its just that after some years, you become bored of it along the with entire LSD dance and rave culture. Ive been listening Goa and psy for 16 years now, and its by far NOT my favorite music, eventhough at some point when I was younger it was the thing I liked the most and the only thing I would listen to, sober or not.

I also used to swear that goa and psy were the only genres that would "take the most advantage of synths with complex sounds", everything else seemed simplistic, I was very wrong, and I see a lot of myself (10 years ago) on your comments.
I am only 20 and have been listening to psy since I was 17. So I will agree that I am pretty "new". It isnt the only thing I listen to, I actually listen to alot of synthpop and oldschool jungle/darkstep. I guess I should rephrase that psytrance (to me) is the only electronic dance music genre that really allows the use of synths the way I would like it to.

I totally agree with you about the age thing. It is probably the same thing with cars. I am a huge automotive/motorsport nut and I can never picture myself getting old and buying a luxury car haha. I am sure I will get sick of gutted interior 80s cars n such someday. But dammit I am going to enjoy it while I can!

Interesting post though, I bet in 10-15 years Ill have to deal with overly energetic 20 year olds on the internet myself.
Old 29th September 2012 | Show parent
  #126
Gear Addict
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80SR ➑️
Musical genres are indeed quantifiable, hence the genre.
Let's make this REALLY easy for you to understand, I'll even number it and everything!

1) Psytrance. Where does it come from?

2) It comes from Goa Trance.

3) Where does Goa Trance come from?

4) It comes from the parties on Anjuna Beach, Goa, India.

Let's have a bit of a history lesson here. No hippies sat around a table in the late 80s/Early 90s and said "Okay, we're going to make this genre of psychedelic music called psychedelic trance; here are the rules and ingredients you have to use or else it won't be psychedelic trance: ..."

Once 'Hippies' were an established part of culture all around the world to the point of 'Fashion'. Many Hippies had dropped out, turned straight and gotten jobs etc. Others decided to follow the 'Hippie Trail' to Goa, where smoking marijuana was legal and plentiful and the spiritual connotations of the place appealed to Hippies worldwide. A number of which coming from the West Coast of the US (Goa Gil is one of these people).

Original Goa Parties had no genre. It was anything from Psychedelic rock, to spaced out ambient sounds everything inbetween. These guys were just playing the music which complimented the psychedelic drugs and the Goa lifestyle they were living. In the late 80s when Acid House, Acid Trance and Balearic House came along, the more psychedelic or chilled out tracks were added to the record boxes of the DJs playing music at these Goa parties for people living the psychedelic experience.

Much like people had learned local Indian instruments and formed bands to play live 'Goa' music, others had gotten hold of these new fangled synthesizers and had also tried to make unique Psychedelic music designed especially to compliment the lifestyle and psychedelic drugs, enter the early Goa Trance pioneers. There were no rules to this music, there was not even a common denominator. This is true Psychedelic music - without form, without quantifiable sonic similarities, music related only by the raw characteristics of its essence.

So no, there are no quantifiable elements to make Psychedelic Trance - there never has been and there never will be. You can slap as many labels on it as you want, but they will be irrelevant.

I believe in an interview Simon Postford said that Shpongle started following their witnessing of an solar eclipse while sat on a beach in India one evening. Now compare that with Psytrance which has evolutionarily grown from Goa Trance simply by changing a few musical elements around to fit new hardware and new software that was coming out - an entirely technical development.

Now you can see why people consider Shpongle to be a direct inheritor of the Goa sound. Is it really because of the midas touch of a particularly successful Goa Trance producer? No. It's because Shpongle are a better characterization of the Goa and Psychedelic experience than formulaic dance music.
Old 29th September 2012 | Show parent
  #127
Gear Addict
 
80SR's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainball ➑️
Let's make this REALLY easy for you to understand, I'll even number it and everything!

1) Psytrance. Where does it come from?

2) It comes from Goa Trance.

3) Where does Goa Trance come from?

4) It comes from the parties on Anjuna Beach, Goa, India.

Let's have a bit of a history lesson here. No hippies sat around a table in the late 80s/Early 90s and said "Okay, we're going to make this genre of psychedelic music called psychedelic trance; here are the rules and ingredients you have to use or else it won't be psychedelic trance: ..."

Once 'Hippies' were an established part of culture all around the world to the point of 'Fashion'. Many Hippies had dropped out, turned straight and gotten jobs etc. Others decided to follow the 'Hippie Trail' to Goa, where smoking marijuana was legal and plentiful and the spiritual connotations of the place appealed to Hippies worldwide. A number of which coming from the West Coast of the US (Goa Gil is one of these people).

Original Goa Parties had no genre. It was anything from Psychedelic rock, to spaced out ambient sounds everything inbetween. These guys were just playing the music which complimented the psychedelic drugs and the Goa lifestyle they were living. In the late 80s when Acid House, Acid Trance and Balearic House came along, the more psychedelic or chilled out tracks were added to the record boxes of the DJs playing music at these Goa parties for people living the psychedelic experience.

Much like people had learned local Indian instruments and formed bands to play live 'Goa' music, others had gotten hold of these new fangled synthesizers and had also tried to make unique Psychedelic music designed especially to compliment the lifestyle and psychedelic drugs, enter the early Goa Trance pioneers. There were no rules to this music, there was not even a common denominator. This is true Psychedelic music - without form, without quantifiable sonic similarities, music related only by the raw characteristics of its essence.

So no, there are no quantifiable elements to make Psychedelic Trance - there never has been and there never will be. You can slap as many labels on it as you want, but they will be irrelevant.

I believe in an interview Simon Postford said that Shpongle started following their witnessing of an solar eclipse while sat on a beach in India one evening. Now compare that with Psytrance which has evolutionarily grown from Goa Trance simply by changing a few musical elements around to fit new hardware and new software that was coming out - an entirely technical development.

Now you can see why people consider Shpongle to be a direct inheritor of the Goa sound. Is it really because of the midas touch of a particularly successful Goa Trance producer? No. It's because Shpongle are a better characterization of the Goa and Psychedelic experience than formulaic dance music.
Too long didn't read I already know the history. Genres are quantifiable.

"genre- a category of artistic, musical, or literary composition characterized by a particular style, form, or content "

You are delusional if you think there is not a psytrance "sound". I didnt say psychedelic electronic music in general was bound to a genre. And I am not talking about Shpongle as it is not Goa Trance or Psy Trance.
Old 29th September 2012 | Show parent
  #128
Gear Addict
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80SR ➑️
I am only 20 and have been listening to psy since I was 17.
Now things are starting to make sense. I'm not surprised the stuff on Ektoplazm sounds new and exciting to you and you can't understand why Psy seems generic. It took me a good 5 years and I was lucky enough to see Darkpsy and Forest crawl out from under the woodwork in that time to keep things a little more fresh, but nothing has actually developed in those 5 years - psytrance now sounds exactly the same as it did back then sans a few very minor things which doesn't even apply to the entire genre, all that has changed is that they've tried to collide it with as many other electronic music genres and pass them off as some kind of 'Psy subgenres' (Psy breaks, Psy dub, Psystep, Psy Glitch, Psy Techno, Psybient, Psycore). The irony and the most infuriating part of this is that the only thing that apparently qualifies these genres as being 'psychedelic' is their overuse of effects.

But then look at House, 'Trance', Dubstep, Hardcore, Hardstyle all borrowing from Electro...some of it isn't even borrowing - it's outright copying at a different BPM. Oldies are wandering around confused, wondering why they don't 'Get it' anymore, thinking they've become jaded without noticing when actually something is inherently wrong. But because 'EDM' is now mainstream and making a lot of money from being unimaginative, it will have no part in admitting to this. Everyone knows they can get a slice of the pie or their name in lights with enough label hype, facebook fans and fancy artwork. It's clear as day to anyone who has watched this social media culture develop from the inside.
Old 29th September 2012 | Show parent
  #129
Gear Addict
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80SR ➑️
Too long didn't read
Aaaaand you've just nullified everything you have to say. TIP: Pretending to be intelligent on the internet works better when you don't admit to having the attention span of a gnat.
Old 29th September 2012 | Show parent
  #130
Gear Addict
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80SR ➑️
You are delusional if you think there is not a psytrance "sound".
Christ! You really haven't been reading any of my posts, have you?

I've said the complete OPPOSITE of this: That 'Psytrance' has too much of a 'Psytrance sound' to the point where it ALL SOUNDS THE SAME and thus NO LONGER PSYCHEDELIC. How many times have I mentioned 'laser kicks' and 'rolling bass' in this bloody thread?

You've got to be a troll, there's no way you can seriously be this ********. I'm willing to excuse musical ignorance but you're literally arguing with me about a point I'm AGREEING with you on. In fact, it's the been the basis of every single one of my posts.

My posts: "Modern Psytrance has become defined too much by it's musical elements and sounds that it only operates within those boundaries and thus is no longer psychedelic"

Your posts: "You're delusional if you think there isn't a psytrance sound"

We wouldn't be having this bloody argument if I didn't think there was a psytrance 'sound'.

Let me make this clear in case you've missed this somewhere:

Colloquially Psytrance is not the same as Psychedelic Trance.
When we say Psytrance we mean stuff like Israeli, Full-On, Twilight etc. stuff with the same old kick and same old rolling bassline. This is very common terminology to use, being a member of the 'Psy community' I thought you would already have known this. We make the differentiation because 'Psytrance' today sounds so different from what was 'Psychedelic Trance'.
Old 29th September 2012 | Show parent
  #131
Gear Addict
 
80SR's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainball ➑️
Christ! You really haven't been reading any of my posts, have you?

I've said the complete OPPOSITE of this: That 'Psytrance' has too much of a 'Psytrance sound' to the point where it ALL SOUNDS THE SAME and thus NO LONGER PSYCHEDELIC. How many times have I mentioned 'laser kicks' and 'rolling bass' in this bloody thread?

You've got to be a troll, there's no way you can seriously be this ********. I'm willing to excuse musical ignorance but you're literally arguing with me about a point I'm AGREEING with you on. In fact, it's the been the basis of every single one of my posts.

My posts: "Modern Psytrance has become defined too much by it's musical elements and sounds that it only operates within those boundaries and thus is no longer psychedelic"

Your posts: "You're delusional if you think there isn't a psytrance sound"

We wouldn't be having this bloody argument if I didn't think there was a psytrance 'sound'.

Let me make this clear in case you've missed this somewhere:

Colloquially Psytrance is not the same as Psychedelic Trance.
When we say Psytrance we mean stuff like Israeli, Full-On, Twilight etc. stuff with the same old kick and same old rolling bassline. This is very common terminology to use, being a member of the 'Psy community' I thought you would already have known this. We make the differentiation because 'Psytrance' today sounds so different from what was 'Psychedelic Trance'.
You are contradicting yourself to the point where I do not think you even know what you are talking about anymore. Psytrance and "Psychedelic Trance" are the same entity. Just because it is different from the older psychedelic trance you like doesnt mean it isnt psychedelic trance. You are legitimately saying anything to somehow make yourself look "educated" and "intelligent". Seriously Psy is short of Psychedelic trance I cannot even believe you posted what you did The example you posted (one that you said you thought was psychedelic trance) sounds like "psytrance". It sounds like psytrance because it IS psytrance.

You have to be a troll because you keep changing what you are talking about every post. No need to get upset.

EDIT: Holy triple post dude. Seriously? You are this peeved that somebody is disagreeing with you on the internet that you cannot wait for them to respond, or respond in one post? I think you need to unplug your internet connection for a bit.

Last edited by 80SR; 29th September 2012 at 09:49 PM.. Reason: I do not want to double post.
Old 29th September 2012 | Show parent
  #132
Lives for gear
 
Arthur Stone's Avatar
 
91 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
C'mon guys...let's keep the vibe positive : )
Old 29th September 2012 | Show parent
  #133
Gear Addict
 
80SR's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Stone ➑️
C'mon guys...let's keep the vibe positive : )


Sorry if this isnt underground Psychedelic Trance. My one friend had the strongest ego death to this song though
Old 29th September 2012 | Show parent
  #134
Gear Addict
 
🎧 5 years
You can tell this guy has bias because he always says 'Psychedelic trance you like' even though I've said loads and loads of times I like all types of Psychedelic trance.

Welp, it's not like I'd expect someone who's been listening for just 3 years to understand anyway. It'll all fall into place for you someday, and you'll realise exactly what I was talking about.
Old 29th September 2012
  #135
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
not even into the genre much, but nothing much comes better than this. this was the 1st track on Goa-head vol5
Old 30th September 2012 | Show parent
  #136
Gear Addict
 
umptanum's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80SR ➑️
I am only 20 and have been listening to psy since I was 17. So I will agree that I am pretty "new".
Ah. One other aspect of the psychedelic trance scene was that the music evolved pretty rapidly from year to year. Each year has a distinct "flavor" and it's fun to listen how things progressed over time. Then, somewhere around 2007 things came to a screeching halt and psytrance hasn't changed much since then. A lot of our grievances with the genre is that there hasn't been a lot of innovation in the past 5 years, which is really an eternity compared to how much it changed between Simon's Twisted in 1995 and where things ended up in 2000.

That 16th note bass line that's now everywhere, that you describe as genre-defining, has taken years to get distilled to that point and really came into its own with artists like CPU, Absolum, Freaking, and Parasense in the early 2000s. Before that, it was a much fatter, fuller sound that I like to call "the wugga" which was prevalent in Goa Trance. In fact, that sound's transformation over time is really the story of psytrance's evolution.

There's a fantastic set of mixes out there by Hugh Sharpe called "A Trip Through Time" that lays out the history of psychedelic trance from 1995-1999 and does it with a great collection of music. I tried searching for an easy link but couldn't find one.

The music that is common on Ektoplasm like Full-On and Darkpsy are great in themselves, but it is really unfortunate that nothing's changed much in years since they came to fruition, certainly not radically. This is where a lot of us old fogies' frustrations lie.
Old 30th September 2012 | Show parent
  #137
Lives for gear
 
dualflip's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by squatski ➑️
not even into the genre much, but nothing much comes better than this. this was the 1st track on Goa-head vol5
That track is extremely revolutionized, it was ahead of its era, the Goa-head vol5 was released in 1997, and that song sounds more like psytrance from 2002-2004.
Old 30th September 2012 | Show parent
  #138
Gear Addict
 
80SR's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by umptanum ➑️
Ah. One other aspect of the psychedelic trance scene was that the music evolved pretty rapidly from year to year. Each year has a distinct "flavor" and it's fun to listen how things progressed over time. Then, somewhere around 2007 things came to a screeching halt and psytrance hasn't changed much since then. A lot of our grievances with the genre is that there hasn't been much that's innovative in the past 5 years, which is really an eternity compared to how much it changed between Simon's Twisted in 1995 and where things ended up in 2000.

That 16th note bass line that's now everywhere, that you describe as genre-defining, has taken years to get distilled to that point and really came into its own with artists like CPU, Absolum, Freaking, and Parasense in the early 2000s. Before that, it was a much fatter, fuller sound that I like to call "the wugga" which was prevalent in Goa Trance. In fact, that sound's transformation over time is really the story of psytrance's evolution.

There's a fantastic set of mixes out there by Hugh Sharpe called "A Trip Through Time" that lays out the history of psychedelic trance from 1995-1999 and does it with a great collection of music. I tried searching for an easy link but couldn't find one.

The music that is common on Ektoplasm like Full-On and Darkpsy are great in themselves, but it is really unfortunate that nothing's changed much in years since they came to fruition, certainly not radically. This is where a lot of us old fogies' frustrations lie.
I would like to point out that I never said that my only source of psy is ektoplazm. My most listened to albums are actually sumoi like Artax and the Troll Scientists, Juno Reactor, Texas ******, Older psykovsky, 1200 mics, astral projection, and whatever comes on triplag radio or random old compilations I got from some sweedish internet friend. I would actually tend to agree that the majority of the stuff on ektoplazm sounds the same, which is why I tend to avoid the fullon section. There is only a few albums that come out a year that I actually keep.

Believe it or not it has changed, go look at the Beatport psytrance section. In my opinion its changed for the worst for now. It is almost indistinguishable from progressive house.

Quote:
You can tell this guy has bias because he always says 'Psychedelic trance you like' even though I've said loads and loads of times I like all types of Psychedelic trance.

Welp, it's not like I'd expect someone who's been listening for just 3 years to understand anyway. It'll all fall into place for you someday, and you'll realise exactly what I was talking about.
You really just confirmed your pretentiousness and arrogance. You are the epitome of a hipster dude. There really is no point talking to you, you have finally realized you cant prove your opinion and have resorted "2deep4u noob xD". Also you can refer to me by my username, not sure what you were hoping to accomplish by indirectly referring to me. I won't bite.
Old 30th September 2012 | Show parent
  #139
Gear Addict
 
umptanum's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80SR ➑️
Believe it or not it has changed, go look at the Beatport psytrance section. In my opinion its changed for the worst for now. It is almost indistinguishable from progressive house.
I'm guessing that's DJs choosing music for their parties that the girls would enjoy
Old 30th September 2012 | Show parent
  #140
Lives for gear
 
lineofcontrol's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Wow. Didn't realize that labels were so important to some people.

Though I really do have to say that the majority of the music coming out these days is lacking soul and emotion.

There was something magical about that era. Perhaps I am nostalgic cos I was on Anjuna beach in 1995 and 97 at some of these legendary events and the old tunes take me back there while the new stuff just seems too "slick" and precise somehow. It is hard to explain it.
Old 30th September 2012 | Show parent
  #141
Gear Addict
 
80SR's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by umptanum ➑️
I'm guessing that's DJs choosing music for their parties that the girls would enjoy
I have really scary images of a room full of guidos and beatport top10 psy
Old 30th September 2012 | Show parent
  #142
Gear Addict
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80SR ➑️
I would like to point out that I never said that my only source of psy is ektoplazm. My most listened to albums are actually sumoi like Artax and the Troll Scientists, Juno Reactor, Texas ******, Older psykovsky, 1200 mics, astral projection, and whatever comes on triplag radio or random old compilations I got from some sweedish internet friend. I would actually tend to agree that the majority of the stuff on ektoplazm sounds the same, which is why I tend to avoid the fullon section. There is only a few albums that come out a year that I actually keep.

Believe it or not it has changed, go look at the Beatport psytrance section. In my opinion its changed for the worst for now. It is almost indistinguishable from progressive house.



You really just confirmed your pretentiousness and arrogance. You are the epitome of a hipster dude. There really is no point talking to you, you have finally realized you cant prove your opinion and have resorted "2deep4u noob xD". Also you can refer to me by my username, not sure what you were hoping to accomplish by indirectly referring to me. I won't bite.
But it's true, all you do is come up with **** in your head and then argue with me like I've said it. I enjoy all psytrance, even some Beatport top 10 progressive 'psy' but for some reason you're obsessed with thinking that I 'only like the old stuff'.

So what gives? Why are you lying to yourself? Can you not acknowledge what someone has to say without writing them off as whatever you stereotype them as in your head? Now you're calling me a 'hipster' (I don't think you know what that word means) and putting childish words into my mouth that really isn't fooling anyone. Very spiritual. You're sounding like some kind of post-2006 4channer.
Old 30th September 2012 | Show parent
  #143
Gear Addict
 
80SR's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainball ➑️
But it's true, all you do is come up with **** in your head and then argue with me like I've said it. I enjoy all psytrance, even some Beatport top 10 progressive 'psy' but for some reason you're obsessed with thinking that I 'only like the old stuff'.

So what gives? Why are you lying to yourself? Can you not acknowledge what someone has to say without writing them off as whatever you stereotype them as in your head? Now you're calling me a 'hipster' (I don't think you know what that word means) and putting childish words into my mouth that really isn't fooling anyone. Very spiritual. You're sounding like some kind of post-2006 4channer.
I honestly dont think you even know what your main point was, as you keep changing the discussion. It seems that you dont actually know what the modern adjective "hipster" means? I am only mirroring what you sound like dude, truth hurts. What does 4chan have to do with this? Leave my personal life out of the discussion please it has nothing to do with it.

Are you done now? Instead of talking down upon modern Psychedelic Trance tracks why dont you express what you think could be improved in them? I am still developing my sound and style, and I know a few producers in Europe that are as well. Who knows you could make a difference, or you could continue the "2deep4u" attitude.
Old 30th September 2012 | Show parent
  #144
Gear Addict
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80SR ➑️
I honestly dont think you even know what your main point was, as you keep changing the discussion. It seems that you dont actually know what the modern adjective "hipster" means? I am only mirroring what you sound like dude, truth hurts. What does 4chan have to do with this? Leave my personal life out of the discussion please it has nothing to do with it.

Are you done now? Instead of talking down upon modern Psychedelic Trance tracks why dont you express what you think could be improved in them? I am still developing my sound and style, and I know a few producers in Europe that are as well. Who knows you could make a difference, or you could continue the "2deep4u" attitude.
Your personal life? Wait...was I right? Oh man...if I was right then that's so unsurprisingly hilarious. Either you're too obvious or I'm just too damn good at this ****.

PS: "Hipsters" have been around for years and years and years. And yes, the current breed of hipsters are connected the last, and those the ones before that...and the Beat Generation etc. etc. The dynasty continues.

PPS: The 'modern' (Wrong) definition of a hipster is someone who only likes things that are obscure and not mainstream. Considering I said I enjoyed some Beatport top 10 Progressive Psy and you seemed to completely turn your nose up at it, you're more of a "hipster" than I am by your own definition.

PPPS: I've suggested improvements in almost every single post in this thread. I seriously can't believe you're asking this. Just read through the thread, I was making suggestions before you were even here.
Old 30th September 2012 | Show parent
  #145
Gear Addict
 
80SR's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainball ➑️
Your personal life? Wait...was I right? Oh man...if I was right then that's so unsurprisingly hilarious. Either you're too obvious or I'm just too damn good at this ****.

PS: "Hipsters" have been around for years and years and years. And yes, the current breed of hipsters are connected the last, and those the ones before that...and the Beat Generation etc. etc. The dynasty continues.

PPS: The 'modern' (Wrong) definition of a hipster is someone who only likes things that are obscure and not mainstream. Considering I said I enjoyed some Beatport top 10 Progressive Psy and you seemed to completely turn your nose up at it, you're more of a "hipster" than I am by your own definition.

PPPS: I've suggested improvements in almost every single post in this thread. I seriously can't believe you're asking this. Just read through the thread, I was making suggestions before you were even here.
I honestly cannot understand what you are trying to say in your first sentence so I am going to ignore it unless you rephrase it.

I understand the classical being of the hipster. That is why I specified that it is the modern meaning. You really are looking for anything to start an argument about arent you?

Just because I do not like the beatport top10 psytrance doesnt mean I am a hipster? I dont like it because I dont like it, not because it isnt popular. Most of your posts have reeked of hipster points such as "you just dont get it" "it was better back then, but I wouldnt know because I was not around for it" etc etc

You have not posted anything about developing psytrance, only how it feels "all the same" and "is not as good as the old stuff". Are you even a producer? What do you do in your own tracks? I am honestly trying to attain some sort of discussion, but we can argue more about the word hipster if you would like. Or I suppose we could talk about my personal life some more? Or 4chan or deadmau5?
Old 30th September 2012
  #146
Lives for gear
 
lineofcontrol's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Ladies get a room.

Just give it a rest already. Can we just get back on topic?

Now. Sh101 or 303 - what do you think is better for Goa?
Old 30th September 2012 | Show parent
  #147
Gear Head
 
Cloudwalker's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lineofcontrol ➑️
Now. Sh101 or 303 - what do you think is better for Goa?
Trick question. They're impossible to seperate.
It's like yin and yang....conjoined twins.



An interesting thought, since this topic is on Hallucinogen...
What synths (soft or hardware) do you suppose he would use if he were JUST starting out making psytrance in the year 2012?
Surely he wouldn't be going out of his way strictly for multi-thousand dollar classic analog synths.

I'm curious how Hallucinogen would have 'began' and 'sounded' if he had access to today's technology back then...
Old 30th September 2012 | Show parent
  #148
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lineofcontrol ➑️
Ladies get a room.

Just give it a rest already. Can we just get back on topic?

Now. Sh101 or 303 - what do you think is better for Goa?
future retro xs
Old 30th September 2012
  #149
Lives for gear
 
lineofcontrol's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudwalker ➑️
Trick question. They're impossible to seperate.
It's like yin and yang....conjoined twins.



An interesting thought, since this topic is on Hallucinogen...
What synths (soft or hardware) do you suppose he would use if he were JUST starting out making psytrance in the year 2012?
Surely he wouldn't be going out of his way strictly for multi-thousand dollar classic analog synths.

I'm curious how Hallucinogen would have 'began' and 'sounded' if he had access to today's technology back then...
Very interesting question. Because any one in their teens today starting out in music is always 100% ITB pretty much to begin with.

If money is an issue most use a cracked copy of something and begin that way. So i guess your tools depend these days on what u can download!

I got my first synth when i was 15 in 1989. Really getting into Depeche mode. It was a Yamaha SY22 and it cost about $1200. I worked crap jobs for a year to save 1/2 and my wonderful parents paid the rest. Thus a life of gearsluttery began.

I saved for another 6 months more to buy a crap old Brother Pdc100 sequencer. I think that was $400 or so. Those 2 bits of kit meant the world to me and i really cherished and appreciated them cos of the effort needed to acquire them.

My music was still rubbish but i had a lot of fun.

Today every tool imaginable is available. So it is a very different world.
Old 30th September 2012 | Show parent
  #150
Lives for gear
 
Optical Lens's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred_Abstract ➑️
it s lowend budget desk that don't really make anything sound better
Posford and Younger Brother uses a Mackie 32-8 as the mixer in all their songs, and that's MORE than good enough for me. And it's cheap used!
πŸ“ Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 79 views: 33211
Avatar for rids
rids 1st July 2009
replies: 65 views: 9837
Avatar for RonaldDumsfeld
RonaldDumsfeld 26th March 2010
replies: 107 views: 28466
Avatar for Aktuator
Aktuator 28th October 2013
replies: 5198 views: 712096
Avatar for matt pinchin
matt pinchin 3 days ago
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump