Any Hallucinogen fans out there??? - Page 4 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Any Hallucinogen fans out there???
Old 28th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by controlvoltage ➑️
here's a night time psy set I played at a big outdoor fest last weekend... it's not Goa. It is however a storming set by a real psychonaut...
Listened and gave Goa Gil's thing a spin too. The bottom line is that I just don't like how the bass has become a rhythmic element instead of melodic. It's too simple and it bores my brain. I don't care what kind of music you make, if your bass playing is boring and doesn't bridge rhythm and melody then the whole track itself will most likely be uninteresting at best.

And all the "psychedelic" sounds turn into one big swooshy soup where I can't tell where one track ends and one begins. How are psytrance artists today able to stand out over everyone else? Everything sounds the same.

I'd truly appreciate this music if it was something special and unique compared to everything else... kinda like what Rip Van Hippy was where its strangeness was almost too over the top. But instead the music is predictable, boilerplate, boxed in, and doing nothing but copying everyone else's current style. The only thing it puts in my brain is darkness. Nothing is light, fun or beautiful.

And the thing is I really want to like the music. I listen to newer psytrance music almost everyday, hoping something will hit me hard and it never really does... it's just that same bassline drumming into my skull and eventually annoying me.

Today's producers, please go back and listen to psychedelic trance music made in the 90s and really pay attention to what the bass is doing. Strip away everything but the kick, hi-hat and bass and see how long it would be able to hold your interest.... would today's bass lines really do the trick? Listen to Etnica or Pleiadians or Crop Circles and be in awe of their skill in weaving melodies, and how even though their synth sounds are simple, their compositions are anything but.

I'm not saying go make music that has already been done before, but try and bring the same skill set to the table and break new ground that still honors the spirit of what that music can achieve.
Old 28th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Hallucinogen's basses are the best in the world. I mean Spiritual Antiseptic has this evolving, distorted bass. And Trancepotter has this incredibly analog liquid bassline. It's amazing.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Here's oldschoolers Dimension 5 putting a modern live set together...

Even though they use today's bass line techniques in this mix, they are at least throwing down some serious synth chops on top of it with arpeggios, shredding leads, gated filter rides and heavenly pads. Listen to the percussion and how it locks everything together and compliments what's going on above it.

It's just great synth music!
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainball ➑️
All that ad hominem.

Go and show me an example of some innovative psytrance released in the past month or so, then I might take you seriously.

You're completely missing the point though, this isn't about simple vs complex. This is about vibe, emotion...raw psychedelia. Go to Goa and drop 12 hits of quality LSD, then you can finally begin to understand the music. It's not about how complex the tracks are (Though I would say melodies layered upon melodies upon melodies are a lot more complex than laser kicks and a few samples from Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas).

Why are you even interested in music if you cannot understand the feeling and emotion behind it? That might work for a genre born out of someone pissing around in Ableton but it doesn't make any sense for Psychedelic Trance.

Listen to some Neo-goa (Go for Suntrip records for the highest quality neo goa), musically it sounds almost exactly the same and is comprised of the same elements as old Goa trance, yet it is soulless and over-polished to match the production standards of modern dance music. This is the problem.

There is no psychedelic feeling in the new goa trance, it's just the sum of parts that makes up the goa genre - but with none of that raw feeling of psychedelia behind it. It works well on paper, but sounds cliche and cheesy in practice.

This is why Above and Beyond/Anjunabeats etc. 'Trance' will never actually be Trance music, there is nothing trance-like about stopping the music every few minutes to have a woman singing about love while some abrasive electro saw leads play a few chords before dropping into a weak kick and sidechained bass at 130bpm.

People who make trance need to get right back to their roots, playing with effects and technology is a small piece of the puzzle. Real trance is not something that can be replicated by simply copying the musical elements and expecting to get the same result, that's like covering a song but singing it in monotone and expecting it to sound the same. This applies to house too and a number of other genres and is the reason why so much of it sounds boring and is a flatlining experience at a rave or a party.
Ad Hominems only apply in formal debates or arguments, and this is just opinions. Honestly 12 hits of LSD will make my toilet sound psychedelic so if you are basing music being "creative" or "psycedelic" based on your own LSD expirences then there is no point talking to you. You reek of pretentious that really does seem to prevalent among most of the psy producers I have conversed with. It doesnt matter what I show you. Why do I like psytrance? I like the way it sounds and makes me feel. I also consider myself spiritual and psytrance to me is a spiritual exprience. I even try to capture some of it into my own personal tracks. You do realize some of Hallucinogens best tracks came from dicking around with new equipment right? Seriously you are acting like everything the psy community hates.

At this point there really is no talking to you. Ill tell you what, drop 12 hits off acid for me and listen to all the albumns I send you so you can approve of them for me.

It is hard to innovate in a genre that is based around 1/4 note kicks and rolling basslines. If you argue that their is no backbone and basic sounds to psy then you are an idiot.

Anyway I really found this albumn to have alot of power in it.

Mettanoia – The Innerself - Free Download at Ektoplazm - Free Music Portal and Psytrance Netlabel

BUT "OMG ITS NOT MY UNDERGROUND SUPER COOL SECRET HURDCORE 90s PSYYY NOOO"

Seriously you sound like a pretentious teenage hipster.
Old 29th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Simon is the man, and what a beautiful and creative mind he has. What I admire the most, and why I feel he is the quintessential psy/goa producer, is that he really "gets" what the psychedelic experience is all about. He excels at bringing humor and oddness into his tracks. In a weird way his music as Hallucinogen and Shpongle reminds me of Monty Python, listening to a lot of his tracks I feel like i'm in some surreal comedy sketch. Every time I listen to Jiggle of the Sphinx I just cant help but laugh and giggle when the flute kicks at the end, so strange and amazing, perfect.
Old 29th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycarl ➑️
Simon is the man, and what a beautiful and creative mind he has. What I admire the most, and why I feel he is the quintessential psy/goa producer, is that he really "gets" what the psychedelic experience is all about. He excels at bringing humor and oddness into his tracks. In a weird way his music as Hallucinogen and Shpongle reminds me of Monty Python, listening to a lot of his tracks I feel like i'm in some surreal comedy sketch. Every time I listen to Jiggle of the Sphinx I just cant help but laugh and giggle when the flute kicks at the end, so strange and amazing, perfect.
Me too, dancing jinggle of the sphinx on a sunday at 10 am is wonderfull, and shpongle just puts and smile on my face, I have seen him at the beach and it was the most beautifull music to dance like freak.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
180Bpm...Don't you mean 80bpm? 180bpm would me more like Psycore lol.
actually I meant to type 160bpm, which is the track tempo... but it's a half-time groove, which would be... 80bpm

Quote:
Southwild [meh...] or EVP [meh...] [...] it's just that nothing has hit that sweet spot yet.
OK, you're tough to please. Do me a favour and listen to Men 2 Deep's album "Floorest" ... if nothing on there makes you smile I will concede that we are on two different wavelengths... which is fine... tell, me do you have any personal favorite current electronic artists (goa or otherwise) you'd recommend as a really psychedelic good listen?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by umptanum ➑️
I'm not saying go make music that has already been done before, but try and bring the same skill set to the table and break new ground that still honors the spirit of what that music can achieve.

Totally. Well said.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80SR ➑️
Ad Hominems only apply in formal debates or arguments, and this is just opinions. Honestly 12 hits of LSD will make my toilet sound psychedelic so if you are basing music being "creative" or "psycedelic" based on your own LSD expirences then there is no point talking to you. You reek of pretentious that really does seem to prevalent among most of the psy producers I have conversed with. It doesnt matter what I show you. Why do I like psytrance? I like the way it sounds and makes me feel. I also consider myself spiritual and psytrance to me is a spiritual exprience. I even try to capture some of it into my own personal tracks. You do realize some of Hallucinogens best tracks came from dicking around with new equipment right? Seriously you are acting like everything the psy community hates.

At this point there really is no talking to you. Ill tell you what, drop 12 hits off acid for me and listen to all the albumns I send you so you can approve of them for me.

It is hard to innovate in a genre that is based around 1/4 note kicks and rolling basslines. If you argue that their is no backbone and basic sounds to psy then you are an idiot.

Anyway I really found this albumn to have alot of power in it.

Mettanoia – The Innerself - Free Download at Ektoplazm - Free Music Portal and Psytrance Netlabel

BUT "OMG ITS NOT MY UNDERGROUND SUPER COOL SECRET HURDCORE 90s PSYYY NOOO"

Seriously you sound like a pretentious teenage hipster.
"BUT "OMG ITS NOT MY UNDERGROUND SUPER COOL SECRET HURDCORE 90s PSYYY NOOO""

Who sounds like a teenager? At least I give a **** about the music and I don't stand for mediocrity, much more than what you're doing by saturating it with low standards and limiting yourself by simplifying psytrance into anything that has a kick and a bass. Your music will always sound **** if you refuse to think outside of the box, so good luck with that.

Go and choke on your anger and your faux-spiritualism, all you've done is insult me, call me pretentious and completely misunderstood what I said about LSD - I never mentioned that the music sounds better on LSD, just that you have to understand psychedelic drugs and psychedelic trance to really understand what the music is all about.

All you've done is throw a few links around and said "Do you think this is good? This is good, I don't have to prove it." Why don't you explain to us WHY that link is 'full power' or even anything noteworthy? Many of us in this thread have done more than our 50% as to why we think the old goa is better, we've had a good think about it and have even discussed it amongst ourselves without spamming capitals and hurling **** around like internet monkeys.

I don't see how that has a lot of power in it, it sounds exactly like 90% of Psycore/Darkpsy out there...what exactly sets this apart from the rest? When do we get the explanation?

"It is hard to innovate in a genre that is based around 1/4 note kicks and rolling basslines."

See, you're just not getting it. First of all, as many of us have already mentioned the 'rolling basslines' are boring and not psychedelic in the slightest when they are at the forefront of the track. If your 'genre' is limiting you and making it hard to innovate then maybe...just maybe it's time to, oh I don't know...change things? Shake it up a bit? Normally when no room is left to innovate, it's a good indication that it's time for a change.

Psytrance is Psychedelic Trance, there is no requirement for a rolling bassline, there is no requirement for a laser kick. The only 'Requirement' is that it's trance-like and psychedelic, which currently - it isn't. Genres are not strictly defined by the instruments, sounds and effects that were first used in their creation; else House music would sound exactly like it did in the mid/late 80s. It is the characteristic that defines the genre, not formulas or instruments.

Many of us prefer old school goa trance to new 'Psytrance', that doesn't mean we want the same analog synths and grooveboxes used in the late 90s back or else we'd just get bored of that too and it'd end up like Psytrance is now - with everything sounding exactly the same and no room for innovation.

We want the CHARACTERISTIC of old school Goa Trance back, that's why [as evidenced by this thread] so many people who liked Hallucinogen have since turned to Shpongle - because for many people Shpongle carry the original psychedelic vibe from Goa Trance - it just sounds very, very different (And it doesn't mean we want everything to start sounding like Shpongle either). If we saw things from a strictly musical point of view thinking only in terms of 'ELEMENTS OF THE TRACKS' and 'SYNTHS AND INSTRUMENTS' we'd love the current Neo-goa trance coming out, but a lot of people don't. Because while musically it's a near carbon-copy of 90s Goa Trance, characteristically it sounds more like churned out Psytrance - no psychedelic vibe.

I actually think you COULD make modern Psytrance truly psychedelic, but you'd have to change a lot of things and think totally outside of the box, in fact I'd say that's exactly what Darkpsy/Forest is - an attempt at making Psytrance sound truly psychedelic by completely changing the approach to making the tracks, but unfortunately it hasn't taken long for people to pigeonhole that too and begin copying it and giving it some kind of unspoken producers rule as to what is or isn't 'darkpsy'. I like Forest for this reason - I have some Forest at 150 bpm with a quiet, subtle kick and bass and a mystical East European foresty feel to it. I have some Forest at 155 bpm with a hard pokey kick and a thick drippy, oozing bubbling sound that reeks of a Scandinavian swamp in winter...some Forest I have borders on Psycore and some Forest I have doesn't even have any beats in it whatsoever - it just sounds like trees creaking and leaves blowing. But you know what? It's all Forest, it all shares that same Forest characteristic no matter what instruments it uses, where the samples are placed or how the track is structured.

That my friend, is real music - defined by something that cannot be quantified, copied or churned out at a feverish pace; it is the aural representation of emotion and imagination. In the realm of Psychedelic trance, this is demonstrated by music characteristically inspired by the psychedelic experience one will discover after the ingestion or inhalation of one or many psychoactive substances - and that is why LSD is crucial for the understanding of Psychedelic Trance, that is why LSD matters; why it matters so, so much.
Old 29th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
I was merely pointing out how you sound. You do realize all the psytrance you talk down on is probably made with LSD right? You also insulted my music without hearing it.

And I am not even angry, and I am not the one writing walls of text. I am just trying to point out how stupid you sound. You are generalizing things, and making assumptions based on information you dont have.

You are delusional if you think psyTRANCE does not have key foundations such as the 1/4 note kick and rolling bassline. It is trance and it is dance music, which is going to be based around a few key elements.

Oldschool Goa is extremely sonically limited, and if you ask me mediocre compared to todays stuff. There is much more going on in todays psy tracks. This is my opinion. Once again it seems you like the old music simply because it is what you experienced, and this is okay. I dont care if you like something over something else. You are blasting other things blindly, and not giving anything valid except "its not as good as the stuff I like" I have seen you do this in other threads. You seem to very bitter about certain things, which is something I dont see from other psy enthusiasts (who use LSD quite often I might add and find todays tracks to be expiriences)
Old 29th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
To add to the Old vs New debate, most of the new stuff that is coming could have been made by one dude as far as I'm concerned, so formulaic, but then again, same can be said of the old stuff. So many old school Goa tracks with the same cheesy "this is gonna **** you up!" harmonic minor melody. Today that has been replaced with the 16th bassline. The average producers then and now think these elements are what it takes to be a good psy/goa producer, But the great producers know it takes a little something more. Psykovsky for example, he def uses the hell outta that 16th bassline, but damn are his tracks still interesting.

For me, all I'd like to hear is a modern producer(s) make stuff like this. So goofy and unique. Every element just plays with your senses.

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The 16th bass line is old as hell, the new GOA you posted didnt impress me much, its not bad as it sounds very similar to the old GOA but not so melodic, yeah the old goa has those "**** you up" harmonic minor melodies as you describe, but IMO its muuuuch better. Perhaps im just getting old, but to me this tune from 1997 rocks, I remember when I first heard it, it literally changed me .

Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
To add to the Old vs New debate, most of the new stuff that is coming could have been made by one dude as far as I'm concerned, so formulaic, but then again, same can be said of the old stuff. So many old school Goa tracks with the same cheesy "this is gonna **** you up!" harmonic minor melody. Today that has been replaced with the 16th bassline. The average producers then and now think these elements are what it takes to be a good psy/goa producer, But the great producers know it takes a little something more. Psykovsky for example, he def uses the hell outta that 16th bassline, but damn are his tracks still interesting.

For me, all I'd like to hear is a modern producer(s) make stuff like this. So goofy and unique. Every element just plays with your senses.
Speaking of psykovsky, this track is my alltime favorite by him next to Psy love you or bekhudi. Seriously messes with every emotion, not to mention the eerie Urdu (I think that is the language my Pakistani friend told me) talking.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Speaking of psykovsky, this track is my alltime favorite by him next to Psy love you or bekhudi. Seriously messes with every emotion, not to mention the eerie Urdu (I think that is the language my Pakistani friend told me) talking.
Not bad, sounds to me like a 8min trip more than a song, goa used to be similar but still Β‘t sounded like a song, the one you posted sounds more like background music for LSD, which is cool, but honestly LSD is not something I find interesting or willing to do again in this time of my life...
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dualflip ➑️

love this track.
Old 29th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
@ Dualflip

Come on. you know the bassline im talking about! And that track I posted isnt new, its 15 years old!
Old 29th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Again, does anyone know what workflow Simon has?
Lives for gear

91 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Optical Lens ➑️
Again, does anyone know what workflow Simon has?
A quite hectic workflow...

Raja Ram is a legend : )

Bit less hectic...
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I was merely pointing out how you sound. You do realize all the psytrance you talk down on is probably made with LSD right? You also insulted my music without hearing it.

And I am not even angry, and I am not the one writing walls of text. I am just trying to point out how stupid you sound. You are generalizing things, and making assumptions based on information you dont have.

You are delusional if you think psyTRANCE does not have key foundations such as the 1/4 note kick and rolling bassline. It is trance and it is dance music, which is going to be based around a few key elements.

Oldschool Goa is extremely sonically limited, and if you ask me mediocre compared to todays stuff. There is much more going on in todays psy tracks. This is my opinion. Once again it seems you like the old music simply because it is what you experienced, and this is okay. I dont care if you like something over something else. You are blasting other things blindly, and not giving anything valid except "its not as good as the stuff I like" I have seen you do this in other threads. You seem to very bitter about certain things, which is something I dont see from other psy enthusiasts (who use LSD quite often I might add and find todays tracks to be expiriences)
It's only sonically limited because you're thinking of it from one point of view. And I never said that Psy doesn't have any key elements, quite the opposite. Psytrance is limited because the only thing it has to define it is it's key elements. It has no characteristic and I challenge you to prove me otherwise; tell me what the common shared characteristic is between all psytrance tracks without mentioning instruments, effects or musical elements - because a genre is much much more than this.

"Once again it seems you like the old music simply because it is what you experienced"

Think again, I have more Psytrance than I do old Goa and I also have more Neo-goa than I do old Goa. And I've also been a fan of 'Psytrance' for much longer than I have old Goa. And AGAIN, I wasn't even old enough during the peak of Goa Trance to have 'experienced' it. And the finishing blow - No type of trance music is my preferred music under the influence of LSD. Looks like all your jumping to conclusions made you leap right into a hole; I'm not old enough to be bitter or jaded, I haven't been wronged or have faced any problems in the 'psy community' in fact most people I've met have agreed with me, including some VERY well known names.

It might be nice to entertain yourself with the idea that I'm bitter or angry or some other nonsense just because I'm telling the truth that you don't like, but that's all it is - the truth. Psytrance is not the only genre guilty of this abandonment of characteristic traits, and that's why so much music today is only impressive from a strictly technical point of view and aspiring producers can only seem to copy within the realms of what exists on paper and have such a problem making anything emotive (Or in this case, psychedelic) about their music. You can force it away and tell me that the only things that matter in music are the quantifiable elements that can be mapped out and replicated on a piece of software or hardware, but past experience proves you wrong and your music will only ever sound like a shell of something else until you understand this.

And as someone said previously, it's not like all old Goa is perfect either, there were definitely some copycats who didn't 'get it' back then too and there are a handful of tracks I can think of from that era which sounded cheesy as hell - nobody is trying to glorify one thing over the other, it's just that things are more obvious when you look at the bigger picture. Look at Nitzhonot; I don't think anything good came out of that, it couldn't have been more soulless if it tried.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Stone ➑️
A quite hectic workflow...
Raja Ram is a legend : )

Bit less hectic...
Yeah I saw them. :-) But does he actually run it all OTB in the production stages as well? How does he use the effects? Just mono aux send to the eventide? It is a stereo effects processor. And most of the synths seems to be unplugged there, does he plug in one synth at a time?

I am actually bidding on a mackie 24-8 right now
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
It has no characteristic and I challenge you to prove me otherwise; tell me what the common shared characteristic is between all psytrance tracks without mentioning instruments, effects or musical elements - because a genre is much much more than this.

It might be nice to entertain yourself with the idea that I'm bitter or angry or some other nonsense just because I'm telling the truth that you don't like, but that's all it is - the truth.
You cannot prove opinions. You cannot prove something with your own personal expirience. You are trying to quantify your own opinion, and this is why you sound like a pretentious idiot. You have some serious cognitive dissonance going on, and refuse to give any real reason why psytrance has no "characteristic" other then "I dont like it". That is what I have been trying to show you this whole time. There are people who do LSD and think Skrillex is "deep" and "psychedelic".

The pseudo-enlightened rant you keep going on is stupid, and if it was not about the "sound" or "music" then why even listen to it at all? There is a backbone of the psytrance genre, and there are sonic staples of it.

Judging by your posts in other threads, you are very jaded towards music you dont like. Investing so much time into downplaying something you do not like is stupid, and very opposite of what most psy producers/psychonaughts I converse with stand for.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Optical Lens ➑️
Yeah I saw them. :-) But does he actually run it all OTB in the production stages as well? How does he use the effects? Just mono aux send to the eventide? It is a stereo effects processor. And most of the synths seems to be unplugged there, does he plug in one synth at a time?

I am actually bidding on a mackie 24-8 right now
mackie sux !
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred_Abstract ➑️
mackie sux !
Simon Posford disagrees
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
it s lowend budget desk that don't really make anything sound better
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gremlin moon ➑️
Music meant for psychedelics, regardless of genre, is the most difficult to make because it has to unwaveringly embody two major qualities.

1. Pure emotional acceptance of the psychedelic state. The music must convey the spirit of "keep going deeper, keep going further, surrender, this experience is meant to be happening, it is okay if it is not comfortable, the music will carry you through.

2. It has to work on a visual level. The mind must find a sonic mandala to manifest itself through. This is a very technical place.

If an individual is truly capable of both then they still need to be able to merge them in the studio or playing live. It is such a tough balance that in one way it is amazing that there is a psychedelic thread running through music at all.

I tend to listen to all psychedelic music that embodies those two qualities whether it is the Grateful Dead or FSOL or Shpongle or Man With No Name. . .
I agree and i think FSOL is more psychedelic than all trance after the millennium change combined. After '00 it's either just melodic or dark/hard.

And i agree with other posts above it seems to me then it was just called goa and psy (acid) and before that people didn't have a name for it: it was diverse, trippy, meaningful and experimental/abstract. Today we have so much sub genres labels and all sound the same, except darkpsy and yes it sounds like one man could have made it all. Many go outside trance as well... but only if you combine all (or some of) that in an album or a track with skill and inspiration without making a cheese soup is gonna be something new, until now is kinda bla (only when it's not total bla). I think from an artist's pov that there is too much fear of sounding cheesy (thinking your audience and not thinking for your audience), i believe most can't tell if they have crossed a line so they play it safe and boring, in a big scale that is, only in trance it doesn't fit at all. If artists were like that in the 90s we wouldn't have that kind of music now.

Compared to the 90s it seems we live in a bubble, people need stereotypes so badly and celebration of diversity and pushing forward is criticised by an analitycal way of thinking that results in too much geekiness and self confinement. My theory is that geeks can't make good music because music is about emotion.

I also believe that too many sub genres labeling is doing damage to the "scene" if there's such, from a listener's pov i just want to find some plain good music and afterwards i might worry to put a label to it. It feels broken to piecies instead of diverse, i personally can't relate to that thing going on today. Is there such a trend to make something just for the sake to fit it in a subgenre? I'd prefer to see it united and diverse rather than splinters trying to gell together or share some characteristics that don't even define the genre like "pockey" kicks and monotonus basslines.

jmo
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
You cannot prove opinions. You cannot prove something with your own personal expirience. You are trying to quantify your own opinion, and this is why you sound like a pretentious idiot. You have some serious cognitive dissonance going on, and refuse to give any real reason why psytrance has no "characteristic" other then "I dont like it". That is what I have been trying to show you this whole time. There are people who do LSD and think Skrillex is "deep" and "psychedelic".

The pseudo-enlightened rant you keep going on is stupid, and if it was not about the "sound" or "music" then why even listen to it at all? There is a backbone of the psytrance genre, and there are sonic staples of it.

Judging by your posts in other threads, you are very jaded towards music you dont like. Investing so much time into downplaying something you do not like is stupid, and very opposite of what most psy producers/psychonaughts I converse with stand for.
Who said I don't like it? I just said I have more psytrance than Goa for crying out loud! How can that make you think I don't like it? Do you think I just collect music for the hell of it? I've been through every. single. release on Ektoplazm, why would I do that if I didn't like it? I wouldn't waste my time. I'm not saying I don't like it, I'm saying it ISN'T PSYCHEDELIC BECAUSE IT HAS NO PSYCHEDELIC CHARACTERISTICS. Modern Psytrance is good hard dance music, but it's not psychedelic for reasons I have given so many goddamn times because you're not reading properly.

Jesus ****ing christ, it's like you're just blocking out everything you don't want to hear. Other people in this thread are saying the same things as me yet you're not even acknowledging it and choosing to single me out for reasons unknown.

You keep bringing up what I've said in 'other threads' as if saying something more than once automatically equates to 'bitter' or 'jaded'. It does not. I say similar things in similar threads because (as I have said) it applies to other genres too, and if you think I am alone in this, think again:

Deadmau5: Album Title Goes Here – review | Music | The Guardian

Quote:
Perhaps Deadmau5 appeals to a middle-American audience traditionally resistant to dance music because he seems to have taken a genre born out of a largely black, largely gay club scene and ruthlessly expunged any lasting sonic evidence of its birthplace. You can hear his style's roots in the big stars of 90s electronica, their respective sounds adjusted to cut them adrift from the music that inspired them. It's the Chemical Brothers without their love for hip-hop and Detroit techno; Daft Punk without their deep understanding of Chicago house; the Prodigy without their roots in breakbeat hardcore. What's left is bizarrely unfunky, unambiguous, unsexy and unreconstructedly macho: Maths or Fn Pig offer a noisy euphoria that makes you think not of the communal transcendence of the dancefloor, but a bloke from sales with his tie wrapped round his head, waving a can of Relentless in the air and roaring. It's house music that Frankie Knuckles wouldn't understand, but Finchy from The Office would get straight away.
This is exactly what I mean. Exactly. And the reason this is happening is as audslu quite adequately put:

Quote:
Compared to the 90s it seems we live in a bubble, people need stereotypes so badly and celebration of diversity and pushing forward is criticised by an analitycal way of thinking that results in too much geekiness and self confinement. My theory is that geeks can't make good music because music is about emotion.
If you are honestly serious about your music and carry on making it and don't treat it like a phase or a hobby, you will hit this wall and everything I've said in this thread will start making a lot of sense; I guarantee it, whether you like it or not you will have to come to this understanding.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
@ Dualflip

Come on. you know the bassline im talking about! And that track I posted isnt new, its 15 years old!
Yes i know what you are talking about, i thought the track was new, no wonder why i said it sounded practically the same as the old goa hehehe
Old 29th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
90% of that post is irrelevant to the discussion so I am going to ignore it. Not to mention that horribly opinionated article. I am not ignoring what you are saying, I am telling you why your opinion on why it is not "psychedelic" does not make any sense. You have not told me why it is not psychedelic without resorting to "well I dont think it is", "because its just not", "i dont like it", "old music that I wasnt around to hear is better!", "you are just ignorant!", "you just dont understand!". So thats why I am telling you that carpet bombing psytrance like that with your opinion is stupid.

I have never looked at music as a phase or fad. I have been making it since I was a kid. Never was about fitting in, fitting out, trying to stand out, trying to stand in, but just because I like doing it. And I make my music with emotion, but once again that is an opinionated unquantifiable idea.

Nobody else in this thread has said " its bad , generic, and not psychedelic" they just stated that they like older goa and psy better. For some reason you feel the need to try and uphold your opinion as fact, and it is impossible to do so.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
90% of that post is irrelevant to the discussion so I am going to ignore it. Not to mention that horribly opinionated article. I am not ignoring what you are saying, I am telling you why your opinion on why it is not "psychedelic" does not make any sense. You have not told me why it is not psychedelic without resorting to "well I dont think it is", "because its just not", "i dont like it", "old music that I wasnt around to hear is better!", "you are just ignorant!", "you just dont understand!". So thats why I am telling you that carpet bombing psytrance like that with your opinion is stupid.

I have never looked at music as a phase or fad. I have been making it since I was a kid. Never was about fitting in, fitting out, trying to stand out, trying to stand in, but just because I like doing it. And I make my music with emotion, but once again that is an opinionated unquantifiable idea.

Nobody else in this thread has said " its bad , generic, and not psychedelic" they just stated that they like older goa and psy better. For some reason you feel the need to try and uphold your opinion as fact, and it is impossible to do so.
Music isn't quantifiable full stop, so stop trying to act like it is. Goa Trance doesn't necessarily need a beat, go and check out some early Goa and you'll see.

Way to throw around things I haven't even said in a lame attempt to skew my argument, god you're a child. I sincerely hope the next generation of producers understands music better than your generation; they will have you beaten hollow.

Are you going to add anything constructive to the thread or just try and pick apart the semantics of people's posts? It seems very much like the latter to me. That article is very accurate btw, just because you're a fan of Deadmau5 is no reason to get pissy about the truth.

EDIT: And by the way, I HAVE told you why it isn't psychedelic. Because it isn't representational of the psychedelic experience. Modern Psytrance fits neatly into boxes and compartmentalizes itself - this in it's very nature is not psychedelic. Go and listen to the first psychedelic freakout jams of the 60s.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
@ Dualflip

Yes i know what you are talking about, i thought the track was new, no wonder why i said it sounded practically the same as the old goa hehehe
πŸ“ Reply