Quantcast
Any Hallucinogen fans out there??? - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Any Hallucinogen fans out there???
Old 24th September 2012
Lives for gear

91 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I agree with comments about a loss of authenticity and mojo - I think this will be true whatever the genre...underground becomes commercial, etc.

IMO the classic Goa-trance sound was, as Goa-Dubs says, stripped-back energy...quite minimalist...a tension between raw techno, traditional Indian music and the psychedelic sounds of metal/rock equipment and techniques (think Hawkwind); once that dynamic is stretched too far in one direction then it becomes something else.

Razor's Edge still get's me going; some TIP stuff too. Medicine Drum, Slinky Wizard, Harthouse, React, HoS...lots more...must do a review thread. Sorry to OP for reminiscent hi-jack. Back to Hallucinogen...
Old 24th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Ai ➑️
I'm just wondering what you guys think of this track I made. (Yes, it's goa/psytrance)

Eternal Ethereal by Rogue Ai on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Same track that's in my signature. I haven't heard much Goa but the stuff I have heard was good. To me Goa sounds like the soundtrack to Extreme-G. Maybe that is why I like it so much. lol
Nice track! Shuffle too Is the bass a Juno?

I might as well stick mine out there.

Actually Twisted inspired
Old 24th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Great producer, I'm with whoever said Goa Trance is the only 'true' trance as much as I love other forms of trance.

I think Shpongle are slightly overrated and also slightly not. On the one hand I think their music is a really interesting crossover of psychedelic and ambient...on the other hand I find some of the stuff they do to be a little bit cheesy, I think Shpongle have only gotten cheesier as time has gone past...I guess Postford works better on the move with new projects rather than staying with the same old thing.

EDIT:

Regarding the old vs new psytrance thing...I'd say modern Psytrance is more like Psychedelic Hard Dance than Trance music. There is new Goa trance coming out today but in my opinion doesn't quite match up to the older stuff, it just sounds too polished.

Compare:

And then things went all 'Psytrance' for a while before the 'rebirth' of Goa brought this:

Not as good, IMO...just sounds too false and weak.

This is more of a step in the right direction but still not quite there:

I think Forest has much more of a 'vibe' to it than Psytrance but it's millions of miles away from Goa trance. But it feels more like true Psychedelic music than Psytrance does.

Old 24th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Optical Lens ➑️
Nice track! Shuffle too Is the bass a Juno?
It was a TX81Z. A certain special patch with bass that is lately.
Old 25th September 2012
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Goa-Psytrance evolved in to many different directions Mainly:

Full on - which is recognized as quite bad most of the time, the more "commercial side". ONly very few albums form the first years remain interesting.

Progressive psy - which started with a very minimalistic aproach to trance but then turned in to progressive house. In it's "classic" era (2000-20006) it gave birth to some outstanding music.

Dark/forest - The more dark and underground side, which went in to horrible directions and some interesting stuff also, but overall keep more of the original vibe.

Recently there has been a wave of new artist trying to find new directions or bring it back the genre to its roots check out Ektoplazm - Free Music Portal and Psytrance Netlabel - MP3, FLAC, and WAV Downloads

Some examples of new psy trance

That's called suomi

Modern psychedelic trance

This is kind of neo goa
Old 25th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Yes, i love dmt!
Old 25th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Big Posford fan here, especially of Shpongle and Younger Brother (except for Vaccine... but my fingers are crossed about the electronic version). Here's a Shpongle inspired track I still need to finish.

Sloppy Shpongled Space Jazz
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I wonder how did he play live with that big desk mixer and stuff..
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
for his live setup, in the past he used a sh101 and mix stems if i m not wrong on a mackie desk with a motu
Old 25th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
He sure gets some great sounds out of that mackie

Some rarities and exceptional tracks by Simon

Old 25th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Yeah LSD is pretty fun
Old 25th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
And OTT - Hallucinogen in DUB

..... and BUY the album if you like it
Old 25th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
About "AQ AB AL" & "Ekoplex" tracks posted while overall they re good i just can't listen to this kick why does it have to be so damn compressed, is it for the hearing impared? i always wondered. I think GMS is to blame. So strong kick makes sense afterhours were your biological clock turns your hearing down sort of... in a release not so much for me, i'd prefer hallucinogen any time over these, goa has nothing to do with that sound.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by audslu ➑️
About "AQ AB AL" & "Ekoplex" tracks posted while overall they re good i just can't listen to this kick why does it have to be so damn compressed, is it for the hearing impared? i always wondered. I think GMS is to blame. So strong kick makes sense afterhours were your biological clock turns your hearing down sort of... in a release not so much for me, i'd prefer hallucinogen any time over these, goa has nothing to do with that sound.
I do agree, the psy laser kick can sound a little bit too 'bullying' at times...that for me is why GMS-style full-on psytrance will always sound like hard dance to me...even moreso when you hear it live at a party. The kick is very different live to hearing it on headphones or at home...but perhaps not for the best in the case of psytrance, but hearing forest at a forest party the bass is much lower and more 'earthy'.

The idea with forest is that the kick isn't the main element of the track, it's supposed to be more like a pulse while your head travels with the rest. It's comparable to Goa because unlike psytrance it has a pure, psychedelic quality unique to it and has a cold, desolate forest sound much like Goa has a warm, indian beach sound.
Old 26th September 2012 | Show parent
Deleted User
[QUOTE=Robonaut;8284206]Oh, yeah, I'm quite keen on Posford's stuff.
And while I think that's he's immensely talented, I tend to find myself a bit disappointed by the sound quality of his tracks.

what you have to rememember is not everyone wants the same sound ? or wants the highly produced heavy compressed and clean sound.
Lives for gear

91 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
One thing to consider is that most of the original Goa Trance releases were 12" vinyl; mostly played on sound systems rather than for mass commercial release. Like a lot of vinyl the mix/mastered sound was limited by the format...maybe this was part of the mojo?
Deleted User
[QUOTE=Arthur Stone;8291730]I agree with comments about a loss of authenticity and mojo - I think this will be true whatever the genre...underground becomes commercial, etc.

the way i see it its like a new genre appears a bit like a new ray of light and then that light fades until you have just shadow of its former self.Occasionally in these genres you get little bursts of light but in general some scenes like psy trance really suffer from this , its like a dog chasing its tail that scene and a classic example of what happens when you ' perfect ' a genre - it then cant go anywhere else .

I had the misfortune to see Gms at ozora and all they did was build up the mix and then drop out every f....g .30 seconds and then guess what ? = ' punch the air ' as the drums come back in over and over and over again .Its all about Heroics......sad.

Its really tacky that scene now , the coke works wonders.....the lsd wore off years ago.

>kick why does it have to be so damn compressed, is it for the hearing impared?

mentally impaired morelike.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Stone ➑️
One thing to consider is that most of the original Goa Trance releases were 12" vinyl; mostly played on sound systems rather than for mass commercial release. Like a lot of vinyl the mix/mastered sound was limited by the format...maybe this was part of the mojo?
Not for mass commercial release? Those vinyls sold more than any CD or download these days do...Massive sales in those days!
Lives for gear

91 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Morley ➑️
Not for mass commercial release? Those vinyls sold more than any CD or download these days do...Massive sales in those days!
Not really - a lot of classic early GT vinyl was hard to get hold of and sold nothing like the CD/downloads of today...if you can provide the stats to show otherwise then please do.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Not really - a lot of classic early GT vinyl was hard to get hold of and sold nothing like the CD/downloads of today...if you can provide the stats to show otherwise then please do.
All I can tell you out of experience is that I used to help out in a record shop in Germany back in those days and the vast amount of Goa releases sold on vinyl just in that one shop was huge.

And as for these days..yes most releases are available all over the place but sales figures on a lot of releases are in a ratio 1:10 sold-ripped.....
(Yes talking from experience again unfortunately)

As in almost every scene of dance music the vinyl days generated bigger sales than anything at present, maybe simply as people back then didn't mind paying for it. Again from personal experience ; Releases in several genres between 92 and 99 would sell anywhere from 1500 to 40.000 copies (vinyl mostly and some CD singles). Releases after 2000 were mainly between 500 and 4000 with a sharp decline after 2005.

Ouch, enough about business lol - Simon makes great stuff, just wish he would dish the Mackie and get something more in line with the quality of his music and other equipment LOL
Lives for gear

91 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Morley ➑️
All I can tell you out of experience is that I used to help out in a record shop in Germany back in those days and the vast amount of Goa releases sold on vinyl just in that one shop was huge.
Yes, this is the point I'm making - most of the early GT releases were vinyl ...IMO GT sounds better on vinyl than CD and perhaps this accounts for why the magic hasn't translated to CD/digital...in fact, I can remember being at the first London parties where one (name) DJ just plugged in the DAT instead of vinyl...it was OK but the sound was different...more plastic. A lot of the early GT never made it to digital.

The reason DJ's started to switch to digital for live performance was logistics, security and the fact that records would melt on the decks outdoors during the day.

The sound systems changed also...from massive birch cabinets and heavy amps/crossovers to small state-of-the-art lightweight ABS units...this changed the sound too.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Yes, this is the point I'm making - most of the early GT releases were vinyl ...IMO GT sounds better on vinyl than CD and perhaps this accounts for why the magic hasn't translated to CD/digital...in fact, I can remember being at the first London parties where one (name) DJ just plugged in the DAT instead of vinyl...it was OK but the sound was different...more plastic. A lot of the early GT never made it to digital.

The reason DJ's started to switch to digital for live performance was logistics, security and the fact that records would melt on the decks outdoors during the day.

The sound systems changed also...from massive birch cabinets and heavy amps/crossovers to small state-of-the-art lightweight ABS units...this changed the sound too.
ALL dance music sounds better on vinyl) I hate the digital sound but as there is nothing on vinyl and no more SL1210's in setups we have to go with the times...Ah well, had great times when DJing was still an art and music made in proper studios. That reminds me - time to fire up the Mac and finish this tune.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Vintage Goa for all you old schoolers......

Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
I'd say one of the main things that kills the 'vibe' of modern electronic music is the emphasis on post production. Sure it's an art and a talented skill, but if it kills the soul of the music, what's the point? The fact we have project files and can go back to post production at any time has made people tweak things too far, it's probably that mackie that's giving his tracks a more 'raw' original sound otherwise it'd sound like super-glossy psychill and would be fit for the beatport pile of generic 'psychedelic' music.

I'd say this is a step in the right direction towards carrying on the Goa vibe, the pokey compressed kick ruins it slightly but I'd say it's above a good 90% of the stuff out there.

Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainball ➑️
The idea with forest is that the kick isn't the main element of the track, it's supposed to be more like a pulse while your head travels with the rest.
Exactly, but not only forest, early psy and goa is like that, that's proper trance and that's how it's supposed to sound no need to reinvent the wheel imo.

There is also a lot of dark psy with reasonable, even (relatively) soft kicks and i have some favourites from savage scream, derango and others... it's the atmosphere or vibe (whatever you call it) you create and the track as a whole.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainball ➑️
I'd say this is a step in the right direction towards carrying on the Goa vibe, the pokey compressed kick ruins it slightly but I'd say it's above a good 90% of the stuff out there.
I dunno. I appreciate the guitar playing, but I think if this was dropped in the middle of a psychedelic trance set you'd have a lot of people walking away. Yes, this track has the formula for a psychedelic trance tune, but there's nothing in there that bends my brain sonically... all I hear are phased guitars playing the same guitar tone I've heard a million times before.

I'm wondering if this why newer psytrance doesn't really do it, even if folks today broke out of their boxes and did something better than the same Virus squeaks over SH-101 basslines... a lot of what made mid-90s psychedelic trance tunes so amazing was that we'd never heard those sounds before. We were used to synthesizers making pop music and cheezy new age crap, and suddenly these ball-trippers started doing mind-blowing things with discarded analogs and gated filter rides.

Perhaps the mojo is gone because nowadays we've heard it all before. Making unheard of sounds on computers is kinda par for the course whereas it was all new and interesting 15 years ago.

Still, no one layers the love like Simon.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by umptanum ➑️
I dunno. I appreciate the guitar playing, but I think if this was dropped in the middle of a psychedelic trance set you'd have a lot of people walking away. Yes, this track has the formula for a psychedelic trance tune, but there's nothing in there that bends my brain sonically... all I hear are phased guitars playing the same guitar tone I've heard a million times before.
The point I'm trying to get at is that real instruments are the future. Everyone is using synths now, I don't think we can get much more out of them at this point for psychedelic...I think people will have to start experimenting with some raw sounds to make something psychedelic. Yeah that track isn't all that psychedelic, but they have the right idea...it just needs to be built upon.
Old 26th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Actually Simon IS psytrance, he is the father of psytrance, although i reckon a lot of his songs are Goa-ish. Ive been a big fan of Simon for a long time, i have several hallucinogen albums aswell as vinyls, also i have some of his side project vinyls like Beast.

He shut down his webpage long time ago, but this here will sure bring back memories, for some old fans like me:

Hallucinogen website
Old 26th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
So any ideas about that Orphic Thrench track? At the time sigs in my initial post. Is that a 303 or 101 with distortion???
Old 26th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Did he ever have a 303? I think it's either 101 or MS-20 if he had it back then.
πŸ“ Reply