Quantcast
This my all time favourite techno track ever - Page 4 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
This my all time favourite techno track ever
Old 13th February 2009 | Show parent
  #91
Lives for gear
 
FeatheredSerpent's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milesy303 ➑️
We are not talking about pernickity sug genres where people argue about Post-Modern-Funky-Tech-Bangra

We are talking about the TOP genres that started it all.

House
Techno
Electro
Trance

These were the genres at the start of the 90s pretty much and everything evolved from them.
Whoa dude, you forgot Hardcore. Probably more familiar as old school breakbeat, that jungle evolved from.
That was the best music coming out of the early 90's.
Old 13th February 2009 | Show parent
  #92
Lives for gear
 
7161's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by crufty ➑️
ahh lsg, good to hear again.

my fav track is by far and away...
YouTube - Solar Quest - Acid Air Raid (George's All Nighter)

i'm sure there will be some who can't stand it, but for me its ace.
yeah... George was a gent

here's an old cassette of his from way back

http://www.dancetech.com/a_kilo_audi...QUEST_TAPE.m3u

enjoy
Old 13th February 2009 | Show parent
  #93
Lives for gear
 
Acid Hazard's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BF_ ➑️
This has stuck as one of my favorites over the years.
titonton duvante - fetish

That is what I'd call techno around these parts.

*edit* now seeing this thread has morphed into something else.

Absolutely. I have 2 copies of this on vinyl even. It's such a good record! T really knows how to work a Drum Station and SH-101!
Old 13th February 2009 | Show parent
  #94
Lives for gear
 
807Recordings's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Always Been about NRG Flash
YouTube - Joey Beltram - Energy Flash

Mills Bells
YouTube - Jeff Mills - The Bells
Mike Banks - The illuminator (don't found clip)

Convextion
YouTube - Convextion - Convextion (Track A2) Though Maranda is my favorite,

Chain Reaction (most of it)

etc etc
Old 13th February 2009 | Show parent
  #95
Lives for gear
 
crufty's Avatar
 
6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7161 ➑️
yeah... George was a gent

here's an old cassette of his from way back

http://www.dancetech.com/a_kilo_audi...QUEST_TAPE.m3u

enjoy
niceee -- thanks!
Old 14th February 2009 | Show parent
  #96
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 10 years
Hi all,
I'm normally in the Post Sound part of G.S. So my first post in this one.

Milesy;
Makes a good point or two.

If you're into a genre of music, and live it like he (or you) seems to then you're on your way to knowing what it all really means (well I've seen a few exceptions)

A lot of people get up at 7am and get home at 8pm.
When I worked in music I was working more than a Doctor does. Why? Because to understand something completely (this will take a life time) one must live it - eat sleep and **** what you do.

I used to be a Techno & House boy. Started Dj-ing when I was 15 in order to get into bars + Β£20 for my efforts. I spent another 18 years doing this, Produced and I worked at two of the most promanent record shops London had (I'm not a big head, just a modest mouse). The first was in Covent Garden. The shop concentrated on Techno. We called ourselves purists because we stuck to the REAL stuff. We considered the U.S. (Detroit) to be the birth place of Techno, with the UK and Germany not so far behind (exluding Kraftwerk or Manuel Gottsching... of course)
I can understand when someone argues what genre LSG or (lets say) Dance II Trance are. I once went to a Trance night, they played Techno, Detroit stuff UR et-al. It was the cultural aspect that had changed thus the genre being re-named.

I hate having to say that 'this isn't this and that isn't that', but you have to. Especially if you've lived, or are living what you do to a point where you're a foundation in music. Why wouldn't someone with a lot of experience argue?

If you were involved with electronic music in the 80's onwards, and are still doing IT then you'll more than likely say similar things to me. If you started a decade on then you can learn form the past but you haven't lived it that part.

WE should all agree however that Techno didn't start in the 80's or the 90's it was way way before.

Anyway little rant over.

A bit of UK bleep, IMHO is still something to learn from today.

YouTube - LFO - LFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milesy303 ➑️
Also I feel I have the right to justify this because I have lived through the evolution of electronic music since the early 90s. In consuming music, DJing and being a clubber.
Old 14th February 2009 | Show parent
  #97
Gear Addict
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeatheredSerpent ➑️
Whoa dude, you forgot Hardcore. Probably more familiar as old school breakbeat, that jungle evolved from.
That was the best music coming out of the early 90's.
Hardcore came from techno -- Hardcore is actually an abreviation of "Hardcore Techno", although it took in elements from Acid House, and Jungle as well. When I first got into the hardcore scene it was still only about 140bpm and was a lot of stuff like Beltram Energy Flash, Westbam - Mayday etc... I experienced it right throught the first half of the 90s as it got harder and faster, and morphed into happy hardcore and the likes.
Old 14th February 2009 | Show parent
  #98
Lives for gear
 
Acid Hazard's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milesy303 ➑️
Hardcore came from techno -- Hardcore is actually an abreviation of "Hardcore Techno", although it took in elements from Acid House, and Jungle as well. When I first got into the hardcore scene it was still only about 140bpm and was a lot of stuff like Beltram Energy Flash, Westbam - Mayday etc... I experienced it right throught the first half of the 90s as it got harder and faster, and morphed into happy hardcore and the likes.

Hardcore took nothing from Acid House. Hardcore came straight from Techno. Also, Energy Flash was never hardcore. Energy Flash wasn't even close to 140 bpm for one, and Beltram made that as house track, not techno. It just happen to get picked up by the Techno crowd more than the House crowd. Because, well, it DOES sound more techno than house =o] Hardcore started blending breaks into the sound, and the 'ardcore sound was born. That morphed into Jungle, which went into DnB. Rotterdam, Ruffneck, KNOR, Mokum, Industrial Strength (and IST), Direct Drive, etc... nothing House about those labels.
Old 14th February 2009 | Show parent
  #99
Gear Guru
 
chrisso's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
The history is interesting, but I'm amazed at the amount of hot debate about the exact content of these pigeon holes.
Old 14th February 2009 | Show parent
  #100
Lives for gear
 
Acid Hazard's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
I'll never understand why people get bent out of shape about genres. They're around for a reason.

"yo dude, what kind of music you make?"
"you know man, music."
"but what KIND of music"
"Music man. Genres are too limiting!"

Old 14th February 2009 | Show parent
  #101
Lives for gear
 
tribeofenki's Avatar
 
4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Unpossible to state the best one ever... every single period of the life carries different tracks: Could be Pizzaman - Sex on the Streets for the catchyness or Prana - Voyager III because it puts me into the goa scene.
Old 14th February 2009 | Show parent
  #102
Lives for gear
 
crufty's Avatar
 
6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Hazard ➑️
I'll never understand why people get bent out of shape about genres.
agreed--ZZZZZZzzzz

though the history is interesting.

Even the tiny genres--does florida breaks mean anything outside of the FLA??

booty house, goa trance and acid are my favorite genres personally for what little thats worth, not that any music I like is actually dividied up by genre at the local cd store. it's all under

TECHNO

If i was more ambitious i'd print this thread out and correct 'em but meh. i'm lucky they order the stuff.
Old 14th February 2009 | Show parent
  #103
Gear Guru
 
chrisso's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Hazard ➑️
I'll never understand why people get bent out of shape about genres. They're around for a reason.
But when you read this thread it could only get this bent out of shape in niche, niche genres like dance or metal.
I mean a songwriter in rock is a songwriter in rock, not 'Piano Rock' for Elton John, or 'Chillout-Chick Friendly-Bearded Rock' for George Michael.
Old 14th February 2009 | Show parent
  #104
Gear Addict
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Hazard ➑️
Hardcore took nothing from Acid House.
We will agree to disagree on that one.

Half the stuff I remember getting mixed with Jungle at the time was Bam Bam, 808 state, and A Guy called Gerald. All this stuff was being blended at the same time, and gradually things started getting progressivly harder, with the Rotterdam crew etc... but we can argue that Gabber was a step away ahead in front of just hardcore. I have lost many brains cells and the lines fade over the years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Hazard ➑️
Energy Flash was never hardcore. Energy Flash wasn't even close to 140 bpm for one, and Beltram made that as house track, not techno. It just happen to get picked up by the Techno crowd more than the House crowd. Because, well, it DOES sound more techno than house =o]
I never said it was... I was trying to say that hardcore "events" at the time were playing a blend of stuff, which included energy flash and the likes, as well as jungle type stuff. And energy flash was 140bpm by the time it was pitched up with everything else.

If you trace through Rezerection Event 1 up to Event 5 you can actually see the change in music quite substantially

To me stuff like this is how hardcore started getting harder --- AND.... taking on other influences.

YouTube - Hocus Pocus - Here's Johnny (1992)

I am tired here, but I am only trying to say that the many things being played in the clubs, bounced off each other and caused future tunes to take on elements from many of their fore fathers.
Old 14th February 2009 | Show parent
  #105
Gear Addict
 
🎧 10 years
And also.. Just for clarification. This is just my opinion based on my life experience through most of the growth of the UK and European electronic scene right up to today.

peace
Old 14th February 2009 | Show parent
  #106
Lives for gear
 
Acid Hazard's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
To me, hardcore is gabber. **** that's usually 155bpm or faster. But like you say, it's just opinion =o]
Old 14th February 2009 | Show parent
  #107
Gear Addict
 
🎧 10 years
Yeah now maybe. The hardcore scene in the UK didn't start particularly hard or fast.... it was a progressive thing.
Old 14th February 2009 | Show parent
  #108
Lives for gear
 
Johnny Wrong's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by crufty ➑️
agreed--ZZZZZZzzzz

though the history is interesting.

Even the tiny genres--does florida breaks mean anything outside of the FLA??

booty house, goa trance and acid are my favorite genres personally for what little thats worth, not that any music I like is actually dividied up by genre at the local cd store. it's all under

TECHNO

If i was more ambitious i'd print this thread out and correct 'em but meh. i'm lucky they order the stuff.
Because they don't know the difference.

That doesn't mean they're right.

Are you saying that your local cd store are more expert than the people who make the music?

No, they are selling to the general public who often don't know the difference either.

Or maybe they just don't care............its not that important I agree.

I don't really care what people call things, BUT just because most people use a certain term to name something doesn't mean its the correct term.

Most people are **** at grammar, spelling, reading and writing, does that mean everyone should meet them at their level of ignorance?

Then why should we use the same terms/vocabulary as the masses of ignorant people?

Anyway, call it what you want, if it sounds good to me, I'll listen again.
(Except "progressive" that always sounded too f*cking wanky to me)
Old 14th February 2009 | Show parent
  #109
Lives for gear
 
crufty's Avatar
 
6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Wrong ➑️
Are you saying that your local cd store are more expert than the people who make the music?
Not at all. I'm just saying electronic music at this particular store is a red headed step child. It kind of makes discussions like these very moot.

Quote:
Anyway, call it what you want, if it sounds good to me, I'll listen again.
thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup
Old 14th February 2009 | Show parent
  #110
Lives for gear
 
crufty's Avatar
 
6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeg1970 ➑️
I hate having to say that 'this isn't this and that isn't that', but you have to. Especially if you've lived, or are living what you do to a point where you're a foundation in music. Why wouldn't someone with a lot of experience argue?
Ignoring my own advice posted above...

If someone says "My favorite XYZ song is ABC", and the genre is 123--it's just easiest to let it slide in terms of talking about favorite music. Not producing music. Not selling music. Just talking about 'i dig this track' stuff. Welcome to EMI/EMP btw!

I've been listening to 'techno' since the early 90s, starting with what we called breaks (which one COULD call a top level genre alongside w/house, trance, etc), "rave" music and the early 90s catchall 'trance'. Here in the USA, electronic music in our favorite forms in 90-93 in MANY parts of the USA, but not all parts, was either a) rave b) 'gay' club c) after hours. I would not classify myself as a clubber, because we looked at ourselves as beyond 'simple' jock clubbers...but that could have been a local sentiment. PLUR and all that jive ass stuff.

chrisso is going to disagree with me because this has been covered before, but it was very hard for ME to find electronic music in my part of the us in that time frame. No doubt I wasn't looking in the right places, but--it was still rough. Sure compilations w/2 unlimited, la style and the like were found but getting the source tracks for many of the links posted here etc was a real trial.

At any rate, the internet made it a lot easier to figure out what to find and listen to. As early as 94,95 arguments (if not earlier) were breaking out over what music was what and I'm just a little tired of them 13 years later. I know I'm not the only one to have seen the countless discussions about genres (it's a, its b, who cares, etc). We're reaching almost a full page of WHAT IS TECHNO and not nearly enough people posting their favorite links.

My #2 favorite song -- YouTube - RABBIT IN THE MOON-Out Of Body Experience (orig) (HARDKISS) -- I'm not sure what genre it is...but it still brings me chills to this day. Maybe because I remember the colorful collection of characters the subculture had, or maybe just because it is a great tune.
Old 14th February 2009 | Show parent
  #111
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by crufty ➑️
Ignoring my own advice posted above...

My #2 favorite song -- YouTube - RABBIT IN THE MOON-Out Of Body Experience (orig) (HARDKISS) -- I'm not sure what genre it is...but it still brings me chills to this day. Maybe because I remember the colorful collection of characters the subculture had, or maybe just because it is a great tune.
Nice track. I sold about 400 of these in our shop. Infact so many at the time the guy who wrote it came over to say hi!

If I were to say what part of the genre world this track sat in, I'd say dub and breaks, as that is what it is (IMO)

I can totally understand why people get annoyed by the genre thing. Like many I come from a time when genre wasn't really an issue. It was more a cultural thing, we (people who I worked with) used to say, the crusty peeps / dogs on string fans (nothing personal) would like the goa shizzle, and dressed like it, whilst the bleepbleep fans were snowboard types. I wouldn't like to say this is true today.

BTW TY for having me here thumbsup
Old 14th February 2009 | Show parent
  #112
Lives for gear
 
FeatheredSerpent's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
This is funny to watch how things diversified..

Hardcore '90



classic hardcore track, '91



beginning of '91



Phuture Assasins in '92



Phuture Assasins in '93



Here's slipmatt doing the world a disservice and paving the way for happy hardcore '93

Old 14th February 2009 | Show parent
  #113
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 10 years
Who told you that this is Hardcore '90?????

dfegad
Old 14th February 2009 | Show parent
  #114
Lives for gear
 
crufty's Avatar
 
6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
lol. true regarding hardcore, took a while to find its way. nice stuff.
90
YouTube - Sweet Exorcist: Testone <<< synth porn! actually, very close to not kidding. who knew. worth checking out.

91
YouTube - CHANNEL X - Rave The Rhythm <<< plucking any track from what i'd blithely call 'hardcore' rave 91 and you get something like this. I'm sure this is the kind of stuff that drives space2012 crazy. how many tracks were cut w/a couple of akai's and a sequencer ???

92
YouTube - Apotheosis - O Fortuna paving the way for members of mayday?
Old 14th February 2009 | Show parent
  #115
Gear Addict
 
🎧 10 years
probably a 909, an MCP and a Juno a lot of the rave stuff
Old 14th February 2009 | Show parent
  #116
Lives for gear
 
Acid Hazard's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
That LFO track in NOT hardcore. That's straight up Techno.

This is Hardcore:
Old 14th February 2009 | Show parent
  #117
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 10 years
Bleeps and Beeps if I remember right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Hazard ➑️
That LFO track in NOT hardcore. That's straight up Techno.

This is Hardcore:
Old 14th February 2009 | Show parent
  #118
Lives for gear
 
Acid Hazard's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Here's another classic Hardcore track: One of my faves actually.

Old 14th February 2009 | Show parent
  #119
Lives for gear
 
Acid Hazard's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeg1970 ➑️
Bleeps and Beeps if I remember right!
Yeah, i've oft heard of LFO being being called that. I'm sure that works for his more electro sounding productions. But that particular track is pretty much techno.

Or better yet, that particular track is damn good! =o]
Old 14th February 2009 | Show parent
  #120
Gear Addict
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Hazard ➑️
That LFO track in NOT hardcore. That's straight up Techno.
I think we are going to need to agree on a cross atlantic cultural difference then.

The hardcore scene in the *UK* was not all the fast gabber like the Knor stuff etc. It started off slower.

The hardcore scene where I grew up was like this for the early part of the 90s'

YouTube - MIG 29 - Mig 29 ( NEXT PLATEAU RECORDS )

Listed as Hardcore Techno on Discogs

Mig29* - Mig29 (12") at Discogs

As said... it started as a fine line between techno and hardcore techno, but it started top get faster and harder with the dutch events coming over here to the UK all the time.
πŸ“ Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 68 views: 8544
Avatar for RyanC
RyanC 23rd March 2011
replies: 0 views: 594
Avatar for anotherday
anotherday 20th May 2012
replies: 78 views: 6998
Avatar for Neodym
Neodym 4th June 2012
replies: 495 views: 37705
Avatar for OneEng
OneEng 8th October 2015
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump