Quantcast
This my all time favourite techno track ever - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
This my all time favourite techno track ever
Old 12th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I first heard that lsg track at an advertised as techno night and the dj's would say drop that and 40 minute later in the set dave clarke or dj hell would be rolling along - where does the line blur i know not,all i know was they were great tracks.

What i also wonder is people who argue the hardware vs software debate and how the older tracks had more vibe and space and definition. I do wonder if sometimes (me included) if we associate this music being better cos of the vibe at the time and the good times with mates at clubs to what was then a new type of music ?

Ben
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milesy303 ➑️
What does that have to do with it?

Techno is a genre of music which was started in Detroit by The Belleville Four - Saunderson, May, Atkins, and Fowlkes.

It is not a blanket term to cover all and any forms of electronic music, including those which you have mentioned.

I think you mean Bellville 3. Fowlkes had nothing to do with the start up of techno.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by digital 1010 ➑️

What i also wonder is people who argue the hardware vs software debate and how the older tracks had more vibe and space and definition. I do wonder if sometimes (me included) if we associate this music being better cos of the vibe at the time and the good times with mates at clubs to what was then a new type of music ?

Ben

Exactly. Back then, everything was new and exciting and had an energy that just doesn't exist today. 18+ years later, we've covered TONS of ground and our tastes have become refined.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Hazard ➑️
Exactly. Back then, everything was new and exciting and had an energy that just doesn't exist today. 18+ years later, we've covered TONS of ground and our tastes have become refined.
It's tricky though isnt it as in all honesty a lot of todays music gets knocked say the thread on dub step is a really good example of this.

But some of the programming that goes on today is mind blowingly clever especially in the dub step world and the dnb world. Also some of the latest techno and house is really clever and great as those tracks were back then a lot of it is same old 909-303 etc etc.

But also with anal editing and super new sound glitchy music and the loudness wars comes loss of vibe and soul. It really is a fine fine line and it seems a lot of people fail one way or the other.

It really is going to take something and someone really special to come up and be new and fresh in the electronic and dance world as we have most genres and sub genres covered most bpm ranges.

The whole reissue and reinvent the analog plugin and synth thing isn't helping either as is everyone wanting the old hardware synths.

Who is going to shake the electronic world to its knees and go the place no one has gone yet i really cant wait to find out as i think its def looooong over due.

Ben
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormPilot ➑️
I've always wanted to chat to the man who decides what is techno and what is not. Who actually decides where the line is drawn.

Surely you can tell us why Aphex Twin, Orbital and FSOL cannot be regarded as techno?
Because I have been a techno DJ for over ten years. I spend my time in techno clubs, and I buy techno vinyl and cds. There are always crossovers, but the genre is pretty well defined.

We know wikipedia is not the be all and end all of accurate information

Techno - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

but Techno as a style of music is pretty defined in regards to record labels, clubs, and producers.

The people who are in that scene generally decide it. Thats just the way it is... You cant just make a trance tune and say... hey this is techno... can I get it played at Cocoon (one of the biggest techno clubs in europe).
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
At one point it was all about having fun. When I see genre discussions and people (on other forums) arguing if one artists track is this genre or its not the point has been missed.

So even though I would rather listen to dub then dubstep, as long as people are out there having a good time its made its mark. If you're a dj and you've got an itb mp3 that you lay down at a hi-class lounge, and the conversation doesn't stop, maybe even some people start to subconsciously groove to the music, you've done your job and more importantly the music is a success.

We all have preferences. I like high energy, emotionally laden, fast, music. Whether you call it tehno, rave, 'warehouse', or worse 'WORLD MUSIC', it doesn't matter to me. I get the idea.

Does it really matter what music is called?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by crufty ➑️
At one point it was all about having fun. When I see genre discussions and people (on other forums) arguing if one artists track is this genre or its not the point has been missed.

So even though I would rather listen to dub then dubstep, as long as people are out there having a good time its made its mark. If you're a dj and you've got an itb mp3 that you lay down at a hi-class lounge, and the conversation doesn't stop, maybe even some people start to subconsciously groove to the music, you've done your job and more importantly the music is a success.

We all have preferences. I like high energy, emotionally laden, fast, music. Whether you call it tehno, rave, 'warehouse', or worse 'WORLD MUSIC', it doesn't matter to me. I get the idea.

im liking the fact that dubstep seems to be every genre thrown in together,,ive been checking all the links on the thread and then checking links from links and checking inernet radio station and i dont think dubstep knows what it is apart from people trying different things and letting any idea go down.1 second it sound almost techy then its really dubby then really garage 2 step sounding then ambient then dnbish,, a lot of it also reminds me of massive attack and mezzanine as well
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
yes, because it leads to the situation where people dismiss "techno" as being
the kind of music made by 2 Unlimited, Chemical Brothers, AFX, etc.

Whereas Techno is a clearly defined genre from Detroit's black community.

You wouldn't called Led Zeppelin a blues act just cos they took some blues influences.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I've always wanted to chat to the man who decides what is techno and what is not. Who actually decides where the line is drawn.

Surely you can tell us why Aphex Twin, Orbital and FSOL cannot be regarded as techno?
he's not expressing his personal opinion - he's stating cold hard fact. As in - history book - style facts. Undisputed.
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Blues to Led Zepplin is like Disco to 2 Unlimited maybe?

But I would lump 2 unlimited in techno no questions asked.

I'm reminded of the late 90s / early y2k when trance splintered apart into a thousand genres, and then came the [x]-cores (happy hardcore and ITS splinters ), and the arguments over what was what. Endless. Before that, if it wasn't 'rave', 'house', it was trance. Everything was trance. Hey what kind of music is XYZ? "him? he makes trance." ahhh, its all so clear now.

I still say: pull somebody off the street. play them any of the tracks posted in this thread. Ask them "How do you like this techno?" they will know what you mean.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Trance splintered in the late 90s??

Trance, House, Electro, Techno, Happy Hardcore, Hardcore etc were ALL defined well before then!!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Yeh baby

Ambient
Ambient house
Ambient industrial
Ambient techno
Black ambient
Dark ambient
Drone music
Psybient
Space music
Breakbeat
Baltimore Club
Big beat
Broken beat
Florida breaks
Nu skool breaks
Progressive breaks
Disco
Cosmic disco
Eurobeat
Eurodance
Euro disco
Hi-NRG
Italo dance
Italo disco
Nu-disco
Spacesynth
Downtempo
Acid jazz
Balearic Beat
Chill out
Ethnic electronica
Glitch
Illbient
Minimal Electronica
New Age music
Nu jazz
Trip hop
Electronic music
Berlin School
Electroacoustic
Electro
Electro-hop
Electro backbeat
Freestyle music
Techno bass
Electronica
Electropop
Folktronica
Glitch
IDM
Nu Jazz
Trip hop
(UK) Garage (UKG)
2-step
4x4
Bassline
Breakstep
Dubstep
Funky
Grime
Speed garage
Hardcore/Hard dance
Bouncy techno
Breakbeat Hardcore
Breakcore
Darkcore
Digital hardcore
Doomcore
Freeform
Gabber
Happy hardcore
Hardstyle
Jumpstyle
Makina
Noisecore
Speedcore
Terrorcore
UK Hardcore
House
Acid house
Bubblegum dance
Chicago house
Dark house
Deep house
Disco house
Electro house
Fidget house
French house
Freestyle house
US garage
Ghetto house
Grind house
Hi-NRG
UK Hard house
Hip house
Italo house
Jumpstyle
Kwaito
Latin house
Merenhouse
Minimal house/Microhouse
Progressive house
Scouse house
Skacid
Tribal house
Tech house
Industrial
Aggrotech
Ambient industrial
Cybergrind
Dark ambient
Dark electro
Death industrial
Electronic body music
Electro-industrial
Futurepop
Industrial DnB
Industrial metal
Industrial rock
Industrial techno
Japanoise
Martial industrial
Neofolk
Noise
Power noise
Jungle/Drum and bass
Clownstep
Darkstep
Drumfunk
Hardstep
Intelligent drum and bass
Jump-Up
Liquid funk
Neurofunk
Raggacore
Sambass
Techstep
Trancestep
Rock/Punk influenced electronic music
Alternative dance
Cyber metal
Dance-punk
Dark Wave
Digital hardcore
Electroclash
Electro rock
Electropunk
Ethereal Wave
Industrial rock
Industrial metal
New Rave
New Wave
Synthpop
Synthpunk
Techno
Acid techno
Detroit techno
Free tekno
Ghettotech
Jtek
Minimal
New beat
Nortec
Techno rave
Schranz
Wonky techno
Trance
Acid trance
Ambient trance
Classic trance
Dream trance
Euro-trance
Hard trance
Hardstyle
Nu-NRG
Progressive trance
Tech trance
Uplifting trance
Vocal trance
Psychedelic trance/Goa trance
Dark psy
Full on
Nitzhonot
Uplifting
Psyprog
Psybient
Psybreaks
South African psytrance
Suomisaundi
Nu rave
Hardcore breaks
Rave breaks
Jungle techno
Chiptune
8-bit
Bitpop
Demoscene music
Nintendocore
Picopop
Game Boy music
Gamewave
Oldschool jungle
Ragga-jungle
Intelligent jungle
Darkside jungle
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
hey space thats almost like 1 of your posts there
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
ok y2k is pushing it. going off memory, my recollection is around 95/96 things broke loose. By 1997-98 the dust had cleared and the trance that was trance in 91 was not the trance of 99. I can't remember what the genres were, but it seemed like every few weeks a micro-genre would open up and the 'serious' trance heads etc would sit there and bitch about this or that.

Point is, by 2000/2001, the genres were a done deal.

90-93, I remember trance and psytrance, this strange music called goa (gone on acid? ) but not much else on the non-house/techno side of things in the early 90s. Granted I am no expert by any stretch, just a simple consumer! The rave scene in the US died and became the club scene. Da Rude and Daft Punk invaded and now we have what we have today

the real point is that a genre bitchfest doesn't mean squat.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
We are not talking about pernickity sug genres where people argue about Post-Modern-Funky-Tech-Bangra

We are talking about the TOP genres that started it all.

House
Techno
Electro
Trance

These were the genres at the start of the 90s pretty much and everything evolved from them.

Goa Trance was always melodic, but limited by the synths at the time, with probably just the 303, 808 and 909 just like the other genres at the time. This was the point where all the top genres sounded similar as they all used the same basic equipment. Trance then got a hold of the JP 8000 and the Virus and evolved, and house and techno evolved in their own branches as well. Techno, and Jungle both splintered into what was known as rave, as most of the stuff that was in the hardcore scene was clearly 909 techno 4 to the floor derived and the other stuff was clearly very breaky.

I am well aware of the fact that pigeon holing has became a bit of a nightmare but disputing the actual genre techno is plain ignorant, and this is mainly because the media have abused the word for twenty years!
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Also I feel I have the right to justify this because I have lived through the evolution of electronic music since the early 90s. In consuming music, DJing and being a clubber.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk D ➑️
he's not expressing his personal opinion - he's stating cold hard fact. As in - history book - style facts. Undisputed.
A cold hard fact is that 'Miles303' did not answer my question.

The same vigilante of truth was insinuating the three bands and songs I mentioned was not techno. He must know why. Surely Techno must be defined by more than what clubs are playing it, what labels are releasing it and similar social/economic attributes.

He was also implying that I thought all electronic music was techno.

..And I think my '500-copies or less' sarcasm hit him bad, as it is a form of snobbism unfortunately common among dj's.
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
We are talking about the TOP genres that started it all.

House
Rave / Techno
I would feel pretty comfortable in drawing the line right there.

Quote:
Electro
Trance
Subdivisions of techno that later came into their own IN THE MINDS OF THE MASSES once popularity increased.
Quote:
media have abused the word for twenty years!
agree on that point. Thats why I advocate--when discussing electronic music, if someone misuses a term, its better to let it go. When making electronic music, it means so much more to label it properly so that clubs/djs know what to expect. And so I'm going to take my own advice and let any further techno or not techno discussion go its own path....
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Man how did a thread about a wicked track get into a pissing match

Cant we alllll just get alllllllllloooooooooooog
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
A cold hard fact is that 'Miles303' did not answer my question.
Seems to me he did:

Quote:
Techno as a style of music is pretty defined in regards to record labels, clubs, and producers.
The people who are in that scene generally decide it. Thats just the way it is... You cant just make a trance tune and say... hey this is techno... can I get it played at Cocoon (one of the biggest techno clubs in europe).
Personally I think most of the sub genres have been named so DJ's can identify a body of tracks they want to listen to, buy and play. In other words it stops someone from listening to 1000 'elctronica' releases to find the few that sound Dubstep-ish if that's what they are after.
As to the definition, I think the historical point is correct.
You can look back with hindsight and group some artists together and say they were the seed of 'Techno' or 'Punk' or 'Mersey Beat'.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Aaron Funk made all of my favorite dance songs...
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I would feel pretty comfortable in drawing the line right there.

Subdivisions of techno that later came into their own IN THE MINDS OF THE MASSES once popularity increased.

agree on that point. Thats why I advocate--when discussing electronic music, if someone misuses a term, its better to let it go. When making electronic music, it means so much more to label it properly so that clubs/djs know what to expect. And so I'm going to take my own advice and let any further techno or not techno discussion go its own path....
Electro was born in 1982 in many eyes, mine included. It started the same time as detroit techno, but it took its own path very very quickly.

Afrika Bambaataa - Planet Rock - 1982

YouTube - Afrika Bambaataa-Planet Rock Kraftwerk
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Point Miles!

I'll concede electrofunk...

Venetian Snares as dance music? Only in the dreams of a madman!
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I am listening to Minimal Electro Jazz Core just now though.
Deleted User
This has stuck as one of my favorites over the years.
titonton duvante - fetish

That is what I'd call techno around these parts.

*edit* now seeing this thread has morphed into something else.
Old 13th February 2009 | Show parent

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
BEST TECHNO TRACKS EVER!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iIwJdQDcSA&
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id9icbkAsu0

Sounds great! Wow!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris ➑️
BEST TECHNO TRACKS EVER!!

YouTube - Night of fire -Para Para-
YouTube - Boom Boom Dollar

Sounds great! Wow!

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
And NOW!

The Best of the BEST best-techno tracks EVER made!!

YouTube - The Ramp

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I love this, its called "The Climax" and its technically Detroit Techno.

Riff using Akai sampler default sine wave patch.
Used to play it as my last track sometimes, people thought it was all over during the breakdown.............and then!

Last edited by Johnny Wrong; 13th February 2009 at 07:25 PM.. Reason: Found full length version
πŸ“ Reply