Quantcast
Electro/Techno production help - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Electro/Techno production help
Old 15th June 2020
Here for the gear

Electro/Techno production help

Hello people

First I want to thank the community I have been spending some time on gearslutz and I am very grateful for the information and discussions on this forum.
I am self-taught in production for about 4 years and im still complete amateur.I do everything ITB, I went through different genres of electronic music, but somehow I always stick to the underground sound.

To get to the point, I'm interested is it possible to capture this sound all ITB,which processing chains are used especially for drums and what you need to pay attention to when making a mixdown of Electro \ Techno music.

Here are a few examples so if anyone is willing to comment a bit.
Thanks in advance!

Old 17th June 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RytMan ➡️
Hello people

First I want to thank the community I have been spending some time on gearslutz and I am very grateful for the information and discussions on this forum.
I am self-taught in production for about 4 years and im still complete amateur.I do everything ITB, I went through different genres of electronic music, but somehow I always stick to the underground sound.

To get to the point, I'm interested is it possible to capture this sound all ITB,which processing chains are used especially for drums and what you need to pay attention to when making a mixdown of Electro \ Techno music.

Here are a few examples so if anyone is willing to comment a bit.
Thanks in advance!

A bit of a vague question, how much knowledge do you have a how good are your productions?

What I can say is learn and experiment with compressors. They are a subject with infinite depth: experiment and use your ears.

Those tracks definitely pop on the drums side. I suspect each drum track is compressed separately then on the drum bus channel. I am also fairly sure other tracks within the tunes have sidechain compression on them also.

Sorry to be vague, I am definitely not an expert but I know my compression use and therefore track heft has improved over the years. Hopefully others can add more to this
Old 18th June 2020
Gear Nut
To my untrained ears it sounds like there’s a lot of distortion/saturation and reverb being used.

If you’re working ITB it’s all about the plugins! Experiment and use trial and error, spend hours messing around with what you’ve got.

If you think you need more Computer Music magazine give away loads of really useful plugins.
Old 6th July 2020
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Also think that a dirty overdriven mixer on the drums gets you halfway there. Add a 101, 303 and some 90s fx like alesis midiverb and/or dp4 and you get a pretty decent picture of what's going on imho.
Old 10th February 2021
Here for the gear

Hey,

I try to make clean Punchy Kicks like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQOPbFjkzQo

Are there any Ideas ?

Thx
Old 10th February 2021 | Show parent
Here for the gear
kick2 is a nice drum vsti and is not expensive. UVI Drum Replacer is great for 4/4 stuff especially. It is a lot more capable than the name suggests.

when you are making the style of music you are shooting for, where the drums are rather sparse; you really can't understate the importance of using the best quality starting samples you can get. in general, the more processing required for each hit is a chance to cause decline in quality.
Old 10th February 2021
Here for the gear

Thank you! Do you know where I can get nice samples in this direction ?
Old 10th February 2021 | Show parent
Here for the gear
there are many companies who sell royalty free one-shot samples and loops, where you can use them in commercial/non-commercial tracks. A lot of them have free "taster packs" you can check out which are basically big demos of their products.

For techno/house, I always liked the one-shot hits on the Vengeance Club Sounds libraries. They are great quality stuff and house/techno drum staples don't change very much.

Some others to check are: Audenity Records, Audio Animals, Audio Boutique, Audioteknik, Big Sounds, Bingoshakerz, Black Octopus Sound, Cymatics, Delectable Records, Ghosthack, Polarity Studio, Resonance Sound, Reimann Kollektion, Zenhiser, ZTEKNO, and a few hundred more probably

just get a couple nice ones. That way you can work with the hits you pick and really get to know them. Then when you start processing them with fx plugins you can really see/hear what your fx are doing, by taking some of the variation out of your starting sources. If your kick is muddy, use a highpass filter. If there is a lot of "air" top end, use a lowpass filter. Cutting unwanted frequencies this way will help increase your signal to noise ratio. And then always back to compression; especially side chain compression in dance music to "duck" other elements under/behind the kick.

Another quick tip to expand on the poster's comments about desk clipping/saturation. I personally do very little if any, CC automation to my kick drums and I stick to having it mono; so after that, my processed kick is what it is and will stay that way throughout the track. In Logic, I will add all the plugins I want on the kick's audio channel, and then insert the Logic native Gain Utility plugin as the last plugin in the effects chain. Boost it as nicely as possible without clipping it, and then bounce the kick track to mono. You can then save some resources by removing or bypassing the plugins on the kick inserts.

my .02
Old 10th February 2021
Here for the gear

Thanks !
I hope I can ask another question...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npMVCOnNxnc

How Can I get this Movement in the Bass/Subbass ?
Old 11th February 2021 | Show parent
Here for the gear
you can ask but I'd mosty just be guessing how it was really done. If I was to experiment trying to get something like it, it sounds layered or frequency split into 2 or 3 channels with separate efex chains. you have a kick on 1, and then from 2-3 there is what sounds like a low resonance high pass filter with the cutoff down about 30%, and automating open curved upwards to about 50% through beat 3 and then completely cut off or gated on 4. it sounds like a very filtered drum or percussive loop to me. opening upwards and sliding 1 semitone up like a glide.

but it could be as simple as a multi-oscillator synth with one osc/lfo supplying the full sub and the other with an automated cutoff or modulation.

it sounds very good though. Try using it as a reference track.
Old 11th February 2021
Gear Addict

We have very similar tastes in music.

Since getting back into production over 5 years ago, I was for some reason only interested in producing without a computer.

For me, this was a fools errand and even though I went through a bunch of drum machines, synths, sampler/sequencers and grew my modular into pretty big one,
I could never get such a full sound that sounded cohesive like the tracks you posted above.

Recently, I've moved to Ableton 10 Suite and push two, while still using the modular all the time as a tool as well as some other hardware analog synths.

This was the best move for me and I'm now using things like Tape Emulation and compression, saturation on the drum bus, etc.

I still have A LOT to learn in the mixing process, but Proper EQ is very important to let everything have it's own place in the frequency spectrum.

U-HE Satin is a tape emulator that I think is wonderful for this style of music.

I'll be following this thread to hopefully gain some good tips from other on the matter.
Cheers
Old 12th February 2021 | Show parent
Here for the gear
@ DrZero , the example tracks are very well mixed indeed. For tracks like these, the sub and kick is a very large percentage of what makes them work or not. Much of this is just proper and creative mixing as you said, but great mixing/processing can only be expected to do "so much" to bad audio in the channels. When I emphasized "starting sample quality", I am really referring to any audio in your DAW heading on to the mixer. Wether it's from a commercial pack or something you create/render with a VSTi or using hardware.

I'd be interested to know what some of the posted artists are using, as I am not very familiar with them. But the subs and kicks they are using sound very "pure" rather than a bunch of layers whacked together and compressed. They sound simple enough, but I think that is maybe overlooking how good they are at their craft. Mastery can still be subtle

c
Old 13th February 2021 | Show parent
Here for the gear

nice to hear ! for what special do you use uhe satin? distortion?
Old 13th February 2021 | Show parent
Here for the gear
maybe he will check back soon, but it sounds like what he is pointing towards by using that specific plugin is referred to as "timbral compression" by the developer. As opposed to just some of the more common uses for tape emulation like saturation, tape head "warble", etc. I infer this from his post because he mentions using it on a drum buss.

Sometimes/kinda often I will do the same general idea using a bit crusher insert and the smallest amount of reduction available in the plugin and then a compressor insert after it with a ratio of 1.25 to 1 or lower. It causes the effected channels to "gel" together in the mix down.

This is a pretty good read about it: https://www.prosoundweb.com/in-the-s...f-compression/

maybe he will share some more info
📝 Reply