Quantcast
What came first Pre Amp or Mic Interface? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What came first Pre Amp or Mic Interface?
Old 4th December 2019
Here for the gear

What came first Pre Amp or Mic Interface?

Good day. Newbie here. I'm the host of a syndicated radio program that is leaving the nest and protection of our flagship station and building a home studio. We no longer have the hands on techs and IT folks of the station and instead are trying to follow the short hand directions of a nice tech that is trying to help us via email. Well..basically we are struggling.

We are using Shure Mics, with a dbx amp processor, a focusrite interface to a yamaha 12 channel mixer. Our helpful tech friend gave us this short hand hook up instructions. See below.

"For Voice:

Mic à DBX à Mixer à Focusrite à Computer

** For Audio/Music:

Computer à Mixer à Focusrite à Computer

** This one I think we can explain over the phone, or perhaps even over a video chat. We’ll want to talk about how the recording software views the two different USB interfaces (Focusrite vs Mixer), as they’ll each have a different function (i.e. Focusrite used for input, Mixer used for output). "

I understand the basic order but don't understand the how or where, like hook DBX to mixer--i get lost on the where, ie DBX output to said said input, and by what means, Y, XLR, or 1/4 or what. The details are missing. I would like to at least have it hooked up before I take that call on this Friday. Does anyone here have the time to fill in the details?

Id be so grateful!
TL
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…