Quantcast
Weird Yamaha DX9 Issue - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Weird Yamaha DX9 Issue
Old 8th January 2017
Here for the gear

Weird Yamaha DX9 Issue

So I recently acquired a DX9 which is not entirely functional. It mostly makes weird static/sine noises. When I opened up the chassis I immediately noticed the 9.4265 MHz crystal resonator looked like it had leaked (I don't know if they can actually leak but there is suspicious brown/yellow residue surrounding it). I then checked the battery voltage and it read around 1 volt. When I power it on, the numerical display briefly reads "88" which according to another thread on this forum from years ago indicates a failed resonator. Ive never owned a DX9 before so I don't actually know what it is normally supposed to read. I have no problem replacing either of these parts myself. However, when I checked the battery voltage a second time, this time using the built in battery check function, it read 4.7 volts. How is this possible if the battery can only be a max of 3 volts? I find this quite alarming. Also, does anyone know if I can safely substitute the 9.4265 MHz resonator with a 10 MHz one? I cant find a direct replacement except for a custom order. But 10 MHz resonators are plentiful. Thanks guys!
Old 2nd January 2019
Here for the gear

Did you ever find a replacement crystal or suitable substitute? I have a DX7 and am currently trying to find an answer for this issue.
Old 2nd January 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'd heard that someone got one custom made at the correct frequency. If it's the wrong frequency it will still work, but it will be out of tune.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…