MIDI VS DIN Cable - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MIDI VS DIN Cable
Old 6th November 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
MIDI VS DIN Cable

MIDI VS DIN Cable

Is a MIDI Cable the same thing as a DIN Cable?
Old 6th November 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
What is a "DIN cable"? There is no fixed definition for "DIN cable".

OHOH, a "MIDI cable" is one with a full-size, 180-degree, 5-pin DIN plug on each end and wired for MIDI.

It might be possible that a "DIN cable" could be a MIDI cable, but if it were, they would probably have labeled it a "MIDI cable".

Simple answer: NO, a "DIN cable" is NOT the same as a "MIDI cable" unless you can prove it.

Since there is no simple definition for "DIN cable" this doesn't work as a generic question.
Old 6th November 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I know what the OP means, and it's basically the same cable, but was used long before the MIDI protocol was written. It's used in old home stereo systems etc.

I'm not sure if the wiring is exactly the same, which I think is what the OP is wondering the most, but I would bet it is.
Old 6th November 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
If you mean the old DIN line-level audio inputs and outputs found in 1950s European consumer audio gear, does anybody even sell those anymore? You might find some in a museum.

While one of those MIGHT work for MIDI, it isn't a very optimal solution as the wiring is not made for MIDI signaling, but for separate unbalanced audio connections.
(The connections are individually-shielded unbalanced shielded wires, and MIDI is a "balanced" connection more suited for twisted-pair, shielded wiring, like a mic cable).
Old 6th November 2014
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I have 3 pin din, 5 pin din , 7 pin din and other models were available too... The wiring was done randomly. 5 pin din was used for midi because of a deal between the midi workgroup and Philips.... who had loads of those old connectors in stock (That's what I heard along time ago...). This was at a time when every home audio manufacturer was standardizing on RCA connections.

5 pin and 7 pin din is still used with analog floorboards for guitars and basses and other appliances.
Old 6th November 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Thank you for the feedback. So the specific example I was wondering about is the Roland GKP-2

The specs say:

Plug
GK-IN:13-pin DIN type female connector
GK-OUT:13-pin DIN type male connector (with Power Supply)
GK-OUT:13-pin DIN type male connector

But nowhere does it mention anything about being a MIDI cable, but I was under the impression that is is a MIDI cable, since it is supposed to be used with the MIDI devices like Boss GP-10 and the Roland GK-3.

Thank you.
Old 6th November 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
A "13-pin" DIN cable with or without power supply is NOT a "DIN cable".
Repeating "DIN cable" has no useful definition (beyond a cable with some sort of DIN connector(s). Just because a cable has DIN connectors, and people might call it a "DIN cable" does NOT make it a MIDI cable.
A cable used on a MIDI device, even if it has DIN connectors does not make it a "MIDI cable".
A "MIDI cable" is a VERY SPECIFIC cable with a 180-degree 5-pin, full-size DIN plug wired for MIDI use. Anything else is NOT a "MIDI cable".
Old 6th November 2014 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Crowley ➑️
A "13-pin" DIN cable with or without power supply is NOT a "DIN cable".
Repeating "DIN cable" has no useful definition (beyond a cable with some sort of DIN connector(s). Just because a cable has DIN connectors, and people might call it a "DIN cable" does NOT make it a MIDI cable.
A cable used on a MIDI device, even if it has DIN connectors does not make it a "MIDI cable".
A "MIDI cable" is a VERY SPECIFIC cable with a 180-degree 5-pin, full-size DIN plug wired for MIDI use. Anything else is NOT a "MIDI cable".

I think I understand now...

So basically a MIDI cable is a specific type of DIN cable, but not that other way around.
Old 7th November 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bachfantasia ➑️
So basically a MIDI cable is a specific type of DIN cable, but not that other way around.
Well, sort of. I still strongly object to the term "DIN cable" because it doesn't really mean anything useful. When you say "DIN cable" 80% of the people will say "what's that?" And the other 20% will assume it means something that is different from what YOU think it means.

"DIN cable" is worse than a useless term. It is a misleading term.
Old 7th November 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The term DIN is just a standard (Deutsches Institut fΓΌr Normung) like SAE in the US.
It defines the construction and assembly for those particular circular connectors. They come in many different pin configs. "MIDI" just happens to use a 5 pin DIN circular connector. And that's what those connectors are call "DIN". Of course nowadays everyone is using USB for MIDI hookup.

Your 13 pin DIN connector cable on your pickup is not MIDI. It's the cable you plug into a GR20 or GR55 guitar synth controller to get your GKP2 pickup to actually work. It's a proprietary Roland cable. The GR synth controllers do have 5 pin DIN MIDI connectors (In/Out) on them though. You can use those to trigger other MIDI devices besides the actual guitar synth box.
But you need a Roland GR20 or GR55 controller synth box though with that 13 pin connector in order to use your guitar MIDI pickup.
Old 7th November 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
DIN is a type of connector, for example I have some Roland MIDI cables which although using a 5 pin DIN connector only have 3 pins wired which makes them ideal for use with the combined MIDI out/thru port on an Atari ST than cables which are sold as MIDI cables these days, 5 pin DIN with all pins wired, which also function as SYNC24 cables or audio cables for tape decks, the 5 pin DIN was also used for computer keyboards, my Mattel drum machine also has a 5 pin DIN socket but it's supposed to have pedal switches at the other end of it to trigger drum sounds.

The 13 pin DIN is also found on Akai gear, it's also the plug on the end of an Atari monitor cable......but plugging an Atari monitor into an S950 won't turn it into something like Roland's S-330......I mean where would you plug the mouse?
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…