The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Looking for software developers for open source project
Old 18th January 2021
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Looking for software developers for open source project

Hi everyone. With lots of time on my hands this past year i started teaching myself to code and have made some software. I am looking for people with software development and/or coding experience who may be able to help take my project to the next level.

I wrote a script that allows remote control of a mixing desk using OSC. It offers the user a GUI that presents limited controls to prevent damage or misuse of a sound system. It currently runs on a Raspberry Pi. The video attached offers a great visual demonstration. Its a fairly simple piece of software but i struggled to find something similar available, or to buy cheaply. This software is aimed at multi-function spaces with little or no budgets for improvements, such as community centers or social clubs, schools, small businesses.

It is written in Python 3 with PySide2 being used for the GUI. It also has Bluetooth audio streaming capabilities using BlueALSA. There are a few other modules used for OSC encoding and transmission.

Two devices have been deployed on a site now since September and i have had no reports of any major problems, and reports of many happy users over its simplicity. I want to develop this further but feel i have reached the limits of my ability and need help from people who know more about programming than i do. I think it would be best if i translate the existing code into C++ before moving forward, but i could particularly use help with the Bluetooth aspect as its terribly complicated - its currently working, but it doesn't "feel" very stable.

The way ive written it allows for channels (which are individual objects in an OOP environment) to be made dynamically, meaning the installer or admin user can change how many channels appear on the screen, and also allows for other features such as EQ or compressors to be added. By using OSC, it also means that it should work with any device capable of recieving OSC commands so long as the software holds those commands in its library. It currently only has commands for a Behringer X-Air desk (specifically tested with an XR-12)

From a sound technicians point of view, this software is essentially like putting tape over a desk after you've set it up to prevent people playing with settings you don't want them to play with and only letting them use the mute button and faders.

I want this project to remain free to use forever and so i'm releasing source code now and hope i can find people interested in contributing to this project.

Here is the Github page: https://github.com/Gwalchgwyn/TouchDesk
(the video is old, it didn't have bluetooth at the time but now it does)

Video: https://youtu.be/YdJha5PtAzU
Attached Thumbnails
Looking for software developers for open source project-140605361_10159404491876807_920218259200423605_n.jpg   Looking for software developers for open source project-139887181_10159404491901807_411320412876417473_o.jpg   Looking for software developers for open source project-139993811_10159404491961807_229556309418789477_o.jpg   Looking for software developers for open source project-140543599_10159404491911807_2721680784656661127_n.jpg  
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…