The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
FeedBack about a mix
Old 14th November 2020
Here for the gear

FeedBack about a mix

Hi everyone !

I writted and produced a song, but i'm struggling with the mix and the mastering section. I'have the feeling that's its never successful and "pro", and i'm frustrated with the resul i get.

So i'm looking for feedbacks, tips, and advices on the mix and the production overall.

https://soundcloud.com/culturesmusic.../s-1iSJuFlrnTx

Thanks
Old 28th November 2020
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Ok so you want to be a one man army.
You are the songwriter!? (1 speciality that takes years of pratice)
The producer!? Another speciality
Mix engineer !? Another speciality
And also Mastering engineer.

Listening to your track makes me think that you have been doing this for a few years. (Just my guess)
But being a pro in everything takes 10-20 years maybe.
You will get there eventually but hey, maybe try and pay someone to mix your song that you recorded and produced? You will peobably notice that it still doesnt sound pro, because the mixer didnt get a pro recording or production to work with!?

I have been at it for about 12 years, and i consider myself semi pro.
Ofcourse being in a pro studio with experienced ppl will get you there much faster but there are not enough pro studios for every person who wants to learn the trade.

Maybe sign up to some online mix community to get good feedback on your stuff!

Your track has some vibe to it (just my opinion)
Old 2nd December 2020
500 series nutjob

🎧 15 years
i like it creative.
a little crowding but not bad.
Old 2nd December 2020
Lives for gear
I like it.

I would use panning to make it sound wider and add separation. The heavy reverb guitar, especially.

When everything is panned center it gets a little muddy.
Old 11th December 2020
Gear Addict

I like it too.
I'm old though and I remember when music was more rounded sonically. If i can't turn it up because of ear splitting top end, for me that's not good. I understand the lure and how difficult it is to find clarity making music (hell, I can't do it!), but I'd say you left out too many lower/ mid mids making all the space for the sub bass and reverb?
Old 11th December 2020
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I like it. the song grows nicely. But it sounds like everything in the mix has a similar EQ and is mid range focused. If I were mixing it I'd let the vocal do it's thing in that EQ range and allow the instruments to carry the tune in their respective EQ ranges. Maybe back some of the reverb off the bass track and let a master reverb do the wet work. Open up the pans and spread things out. Take some of the comp off the drums and let the dynamics back into the song. But that's just me.
Old 16th December 2020
Here for the gear
I like it, song kinda grows on you, even when listening on bluethooth headset. Checking individual tracks with a spectrum analyzer might give you an idea whether there are parts that are fighting for the same space. If you are indeed using the same EQ settings for all channels, the previous suggestion of letting individual tracks do their thing in their EQ ranges make sense. Try sidechaining kick & bass if you see they are occupying the same place. Oh and since someone took the time to point out the merrits of gain staging to achieve balance in my mix to me, that's made a world of difference as well.
Old 18th December 2020
Lives for gear
Or he could just use less reverb... (or shorten the tails drastically)...

Old 16th January 2021
Lives for gear

Sounds awesome. If you are beginner - insane.

Master should be done separately imho. The highest end is little harsh and low end is too low for this type of music .. but otherwive not a big deal. Is this a prank? You must be some top end producer just sh.tting around on gearslut. C'mon...

If you need master PM.. this kind of music I would help.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…