Reaper users: AMD FX-8150 or Intel i5 3450 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Reaper users: AMD FX-8150 or Intel i5 3450
Old 24th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Reaper users: AMD FX-8150 or Intel i5 3450

Ok,

So I've narrowed my search for a new CPU to the above. I can get both for the same price, so that's not an issue. The main difference is the 8150's 8 cores and easy overclockability. This paired with Reaper's good multicore support could make for a great combination.

Despite this, I'm still leaning slightly towards i5 3450, mostly because everything I've read online has recommended it over the FX-8150, though admittedly most of the praise has come from gamers (single threaded application) and not come from my perspective (multithreaded music production). Though I've read a lot saying the FX-8150 outperforms it on applications. Which is what I want.

Both choices allow for upgrades down the line. With the i5 my choice of upgrades will be to an i7 which will be older technology by then (new socket coming out), not that that bothers me. With the AMD chip there's going to be a bunch of new ones on that socket for the foreseeable future.

I've read so many conflicting reports online I'm finding it really hard to make a decision.

Any help?
Old 24th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Here is the information you need:

PassMark Intel vs AMD CPU Benchmarks - High End

I would go with Intel Xeon E3-1230 @ 3.20GHz, if you dont need integrated graphics.
Old 24th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
The 8150 seems to win over it in the performance and value tests there... hmmm...

Any real world experience, specifically with Reaper?
Old 25th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Sorry that my reply isn't particularly on point - But, I'd go with the INTEL.

Reaper handles processing very efficiently when contrasted with other DAWs.

My personal experience has been an increase in process efficiency of +\~ 30-35% compared to Logic - and +\~ 40/45% compared to PT. (The listed numbers are approximate based upon my personal use.

Of course, many variables are involved which make it very difficult to ascertain exact figures when considering a real world working situation.

For example, I wouldn't think it prudent to do testing by inserting (1) or (2) processor intensive plug-in's across as many tracks as possible; For that is not a scenario which would likely occur in normal project use with a DAW.

An additional point of consideration with regard to Reaper and processing worthy of pointing out -

Were one to place a particular plug-in instance on a single track and observe from the resource meter the CPU percentage increased by 5% (5% figure is a hypothetical example)

Should one place another instance of the same plug-in on another track (that is format consistent) - One will not see the an additional increase of 5% rather a smaller amount.

This is not limited to using the same plug-in across multiple instances but applies to any plug-in inserted in a session.

In sum, the scale of processing power is not linear in Reaper - In fact, it actually decreases percentage wise, as you add additional plug-instances.

Just thought I'd mention that aspect of the code involved with Reaper as it may help inform your choice.

Regarding my choice of processor - I would choose the INTEL as the last view years have illustrated their processors have (overall) been performing considerably better then AMD - In both performance and reliability.

Best,
Alexa
Old 25th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinksoir ➑️
The 8150 seems to win over it in the performance and value tests there... hmmm...

Any real world experience, specifically with Reaper?
I was suggesting the xeon because for another $30 you would get a nice 10-15% boost on the AMD. Sure it isnt the highest value per dollar, but you will come to appreciate the extra 15%.

There is no reason why the AMD would see superior performance (per core) to the Intel, it may in fact see less than expected performance because of lack of optimizations, which are assumed with Intel. The AMD is a risk.

I was an AMD fan for years, and my daw is an AMD, but my observation is that they are changing package too frequently for you to benefit from a chip swap down the line. The FX core largely seems to be maxed out, where with the Intel you can already see processors with 2x the power and the same package/socket, so you know you can always upgrade the chip in the future when the prices come down. With the AMD that is dicey at best.

I think you should skip the AMD and sadly I don't see AMD becoming a long-term value proposition in the forseeable future. Any amd system you build now will probably have to throw away the mobo when you want to next upgrade, and that may also involve new memory sticks depending on what is available in the future.
Old 25th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Thanks for the replies, very informative.

I've been using Intel CPUs for my last two builds and I've been very happy with them. The only reason I'm upgrading from my QX6800 system is because the motherboard and/or PSU has crapped out. That system was handling everything I threw at it with plenty of headroom so anything above that is really a bonus.

I'm inclined to stick with what I know, ie. Intel, but I'm glad for any info on the AMDs.

I also want a quiet and cool system and am unlikely to overclock.
Old 25th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Anyone else with any input?
Old 26th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The Passmark test is very irrelevant for low latency realtime audio streaming.
For every $/€, the Intel chip will outperform the AMD.
Old 26th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreChris ➑️
I was an AMD fan for years, and my daw is an AMD, but my observation is that they are changing package too frequently for you to benefit from a chip swap down the line.
My mobo is from 2007 but works even with 6-core Phenom's if I wanted it (currently running a 3.6 GHz Quad-Core chip). The FX is a new socket, but then again, Intel is abandoning LGA1155 the coming spring.

If you want to stay on the cutting edge, you have to get a new mobo when you upgrade your CPU, regardless of whether you go with Intel or AMD.

Generally, Intel is faster, but AMD gives you more cores for the money. What's better depends on the application. Reaper is one of the best optimized DAWs for multi-core, but I don't think anyone has run benchmarks on different CPUs to compare.
Old 26th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Thanks dudes. I decided to go with an i5 3470. I guess I'm sticking with what I know/trust on this one. I'm not concerned with staying cutting edge, and going 1155 gives me the option of getting a second hand i7 f I need to after the new socket comes out and the prices drop down the line.

Thanks for the input everyone.
Old 26th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
If you have the space look into Noctua's air cooling heatsinc. My i5 2500 is clocked at 4.8Ghz and doe not get over 24 celcius under load

Sent from my DROIDX
Old 26th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Cheers,

Tbh I'm very unlikely to overclock. I bought an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro, which is pretty low end but gets good reviews, and most of all is extremely quiet.
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…