Quantcast
Sonar X2 Impressions - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sonar X2 Impressions
Old 22nd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Sonar X2 Impressions

I haven't taken the plunge yet, haven't had the time but I'm wondering how any of you are getting along with X2 thus far?
Old 22nd September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I worked with it all day today and never had an issue. Results were fantastic. I'm really loving the new Console Emulator, take and automation lanes and the new snap grid. I'm running the x64 version in Windows 7. If you are a Sonar user you can't go wrong with the upgrade. It installs as a separate application so X1 will remain intact if you have any concerns there.
Old 22nd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TranscendingM ➑️
I haven't taken the plunge yet, haven't had the time but I'm wondering how any of you are getting along with X2 thus far?
plenty of feedback here:

SONAR X1 and X2 Producer, Studio & Essential
Old 22nd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I downloaded my copy. I haven't installed it as I plan on a complete reinstall in the next week or so. I'll install it as a "clean" install after my OS reinstall is done (I'm switching from an SSD back to a conventional hard drive and will use the SSD for samples).
Old 22nd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansenhaus ➑️
I worked with it all day today and never had an issue. Results were fantastic. I'm really loving the new Console Emulator, take and automation lanes and the new snap grid. I'm running the x64 version in Windows 7. If you are a Sonar user you can't go wrong with the upgrade. It installs as a separate application so X1 will remain intact if you have any concerns there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearAndGuitars ➑️

cool..Eric that's good to know that it keeps X1 intact. Are you running an i7?
I did run through the cakewalk forum and all I saw were people lamenting
about one thing or another regarding X2 lol Although I don't frequent that forum often as it most often turns out that the issue was user or system errors so I always have doubts coming off of there.
Old 22nd September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TranscendingM ➑️
cool..Eric that's good to know that it keeps X1 intact. Are you running an i7?
I did run through the cakewalk forum and all I saw were people lamenting
about one thing or another regarding X2 lol Although I don't frequent that forum often as it most often turns out that the issue was user or system errors so I always have doubts coming off of there.
This happens with every new release of Sonar... people can't wait for it, talk about it for months prior to release, have to have it day one, than complain about it for weeks... about 6-8 weeks later there's a patch for the bug fixes... that's when I make the upgrade, if not later.
Old 22nd September 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
yep usuallly same here ...but this X2 will not be like the revolution behind X1 really less bug than X1.0 as the fondation was already there ....8.5 -- X1 was a big jump ....here we have the "what should X1 have been" stuff

Anyway what i really love is that they clearly listend to us on the forum in so many features ....great ...(console emu , fx in PC via FX chain, multiple instance of the same modules in PC , grid , Automation ect ....)
Old 22nd September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
This happens with every new release of Sonar... people can't wait for it, talk about it for months prior to release, have to have it day one, than complain about it for weeks... about 6-8 weeks later there's a patch for the bug fixes... that's when I make the upgrade, if not later.
No of course, I've been seeing that since 2000. I get more concerned over the amount of threads that turn out to be nothing but system or user error, not actual bugs and you have to weed through them.

So Jeezo what's been your bug/stability experience so far with X2?
Old 22nd September 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
not yet installed ....but the release candidate was pretty stable .....no crash , i had it a litle before people as you know (or not) i give sonar course at the SAE and wanted to prepare new cours as new features were introduced ...
Old 22nd September 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
By the way it seems that cake understood that research and dev can be made by user basically ! , gain of time and energy , waranty of success version , is that difficult for brands to undertand it ? ....that's why imho Sonar is one step forward other apps ..
Old 22nd September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
yeah, I haven't installed it as I plan on a complete reinstall in the next week or so.
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
First Stability Impressions

I installed it finally. One major thing happening already confirmed by some other users as well is when Console emu for channels and at least one bus is on and you click to switch between tracks or buses X2 will crash.

EDIT: found another weird one: disappearing PCh. modules
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Console Impression

I'm let down by it. They behave more like digital saturators than consoles.

I have a session of tracks I use for comparisons between different companies with very tight tolerances for each individual track (levels, pans the same every time) and I render copies of the tracks as full sessions into stereo mixes and level match them at RMS. These Cakewalk ones can be useful but, they are a disappointment as console emu.
Old 23rd September 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
for real , can you expend on this ?
Old 23rd September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo ➑️
for real , can you expend on this ?

Well, with the X2 emulations there is no dynamic behavior being represented as one would hear on a given console. Now Jezzo I know you have experience with real consoles as well but let's move from the hardware to some pretty well known emulations on the market and compare those where virtually every one would have a reference point. For example, NLS and VCC. If you compare these, and truly compare such as rendering a full mix of raw tracks like I was describing above, then you get to hear how the X2 emu's are not really reacting like consoles: the high end is exaggerated in a "spitty" way through either one of the 3 consoles. That mid range "consolidation" and subtle beefiness (sorry for these descriptors lol) is just not there on the X2 emu's. Take the SSL one for example. You would expect that high mid lift and simultaneous subtle sparkle to be added but the X2 S-Type doesn't quite cut it. And that slight wave of dynamism most importantly is lacking.
Old 23rd September 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
cool vid :

Old 23rd September 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
really need to try it ...so basically you heard saturation but not freq and pan/phase impact ? like on NLS ?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
really need to try it ...so basically you heard saturation but not freq and pan/phase impact ? like on NLS ?
Let's put it this way, while I did hear saturation for sure, I didn't hear the right kind of interactions of frequency response, dynamism, and phase impact one would expect, albeit subtle, from a console emu such as NLS let alone a real console. Regarding pan, there is a slight width to it but hard to say at this point if it's a true proper enhancement from saturation or because of the exaggerated high end.
Old 23rd September 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
thks for taking the time ....really need to instal asap...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
thks for taking the time ....really need to instal asap...
Yea no prob, I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts. And that goes for anybody else who's installed and gave it a shot.
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I did a complete reinstall of Windows 7 64 bit and then installed X2 PE 64 bit version. No problems installing it and after the Sonar X2 install, reinstalling Ozone 5 and Melodyne and my Roland Octa-Capture and other devices (such as control surfaces) I started X2 for the first time and it ran without problems (just startup). The second time I started X2 it crashed with a garbled error message. I started it again (and several times after that) and no problems.

I had one X1 project (song) that I needed to remix. I was able to do that without problems. I haven't gotten any further into X2 yet so I can't say about any other issues.

One thing, I like the new automation lanes feature.
Old 23rd September 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
yep , LAyers , multi grid , auto zoom, new clips and options on clips , more screen sets on menu , ect ....a lot of goodies , great !! but nothing on the VS 700 side :( hope next update will ..
Old 24th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Plugin Revision Impressions

LP64EQ: they finally updated this EQ and it is now usable. The earlier version IMO was not. Any frequency tweaked created this odd mid range "honk" to the entire signal. THe update was very much needed.

LP64MB: I'm not hearing much improvement here. Gain reduction in at least 2 bands at a time makes the whole signal kind of fall apart: strange low's and crimped high sounds. Even compared to free multi-bands it didn't cut it IMO.

And just to add:
Audio Engine: it does feel better as far as the gapping aspect goes. Snappier response as does X2 overall (loading, etc).
Old 25th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
One weird thing that happened to me: X2 totally screwed up my Rapture 1.22 installation. Now it's asking me for the S/N and registration key but the S/N field is greyed out and I can't type anything in it. (Yes, of course I logged in as admin and even tried with the minihost.)
Old 27th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I'm a long time CW user. I've gone as far as to get the VS700 and the VS100 surfaces.

I'm honestly on the edge of leaving CW products though. X1 was a great DAW and the new interface was fantastic, but it seems like CW has more a priority of putting out new products than fixing bugs that have plagued Sonar for years. Plus, they are falling way behind...

No VST3 support?
Notation is still a joke.
Latency issues are still very much present.

Audiosnap 2 was meant to make life easier, but I found it a huge mess to work with.

The time stretching algorithm is a joke as is BPM detection on clips. Forget about remixing because they have taken something that other DAWs have managed to do with a single step and complicated it to the point where you throw your hands in the air and walk away in frustration.

With X2 now out, I'm weighing my options carefully, but the more I think on it the more other DAWs are looking attractive.
Old 27th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
^ What's wrong with the time stretching?
I always thought Protools' big feature for me was Elastic Audio - then I realised Sonar has the exact same thing just as easy to use.

What latency issues?

Really enjoying X2 on my new PC. Not getting crashes anymore (I used to have LOTS of crashes caused by coping or inserting or opening plugins since going from 8.5 to X1).
Old 30th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
as predicted... here comes the first patch...

SONAR X2 Producer QuickFix (Build 308) Available Now!
Old 30th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Well, I've done two recording sessions and remixed several old projects and no crashes or problems. However, to qualify this all I'm working with is "analog" tracks, no MIDI.

One session was to lay down the "keeper" voice tracks on two songs and the other was recording new songs (we did three songs on that session).

I haven't figured out the "Take Lanes" yet. I've looked over all the available free videos and they all talk about MIIDI Take Lanes and not "Analog" and I got confused or nothing out of them. It looks like I'll have to buy the Groove 3 X2 tutorial to get specific info on the "Analog" Take Lanes and how to combine different "takes".
Old 30th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic ➑️
I'm a long time CW user. I've gone as far as to get the VS700 and the VS100 surfaces.

I'm honestly on the edge of leaving CW products though. X1 was a great DAW and the new interface was fantastic, but it seems like CW has more a priority of putting out new products than fixing bugs that have plagued Sonar for years. Plus, they are falling way behind...

No VST3 support?
Notation is still a joke.
Latency issues are still very much present.

Audiosnap 2 was meant to make life easier, but I found it a huge mess to work with.

The time stretching algorithm is a joke as is BPM detection on clips. Forget about remixing because they have taken something that other DAWs have managed to do with a single step and complicated it to the point where you throw your hands in the air and walk away in frustration.

With X2 now out, I'm weighing my options carefully, but the more I think on it the more other DAWs are looking attractive.
I use Cubase and Sonar precisely because each one has strengths and weaknesses. Cubase has VST 3 and a pretty decent notation page (I mean, it's no Sibelius, but it's not meant to actually print music...) I haven't experienced latency in Sonar. So, I usually use Cubase for tracking and for its awesome and peerless MIDI capabilities (can't live without note expression.) But when it comes to mixing and mastering, I prefer Sonar's much more flexible interface (I use three screens, you can float virtually anything in Sonar, unlike Cubase) and easier accessibility to all parameters.
Old 1st October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I just put X2 on my computer today...so far I'm loving it. Excellent program....

Breverb sounds great, The console emulations sound great, it's been running like a top. Not one glitch or note skipped.

X2 is a top notch program.
πŸ“ Reply