Quantcast
Sonar X2 Impressions - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sonar X2 Impressions
Old 5th October 2012
Old 5th October 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
By the way .....buy yourself a brain .........a personality , autonomy, and maybe you will do or think by yourself .....one day .....
Old 5th October 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
on the cakewalk blog you hundreds of exemple from artists to labels (Emi ect ..) to video game and studios (pixar , ubisoft ) ect using it ......

But wait if this is not your heroes ....it's not credited right ? people using for Pro real life use / making money with it isn't a proof of how serious this soft is .....

And by magic if Dave Pensado use it one day ...you will sunddently change your mind ? poor you !!
Old 5th October 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
one i was reading few dayz ago ..

The Cakewalk Blog
Old 5th October 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm gonna be THAT guy, cause I actually have to be for once :(
I love Cakewalk, and I truly missed Sonar when I was using PT a few years back. I'm as close to a fanboi as they come without being obnoxious haha.

I installed X2 without issue. I loaded up an X1 project real quick to see what was up. The take lanes kinda threw me for a loop because the top layer always shows. So if you have a muted clip above an active clip, you still see the mutes clip when the track is collapsed. That is kinda lame to me. I expect to see the active clip first and foremost.

Also, all examples of working with comping are with straight cuts and mutes. No crossfades. If you are working with continuous material such as drums and vocals, often you want crossfades to give the illusion of a single take. Nobody has been willing to show me how to efficiently comp using the take lanes. multi-tracked drums for example using 3+ takes of them.

And the show-stopper was when a bunch of tracks were not showing any sort of metering. It's been found as a bug by Cakewalk, but without metering I can't mix. I'm not willing to find work-arounds for something like metering.

Also, when moving clips, the clips were drawn jittery while I was moving them. It was hard to move them to a specific point because they literally jittered when I grabbed them. Hard to describe. But made it hard to do much with a clip other than move it up and down vertically.

My PC is fairly new, hexacore, 2 internal HD, 16GB RAM, etc etc. X1 works (pretty much) just fine for me. So these basic things upset me a bit, but I can work with X1 so it's all good for now.

With all the bad, I will say that the audio-engine did seem snappier. And the new guitar sim and Breverb seemed cool... although I never got around to using them much :(
Old 5th October 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Thks for the feedback , so you're just saying that X2 , a new version of a software with planty of new future is not yet stable (more bugs that stability issues) and some improvement gotta be made on some new features .....great , this is not a surprise and not some unik to sonar

when i saw the PT 10 first upadte fix i was trealled on issues that were introduced on the "INDUSTRY" standard and some major stuff (!! at the same time i saw Pros praising PT like "it's faster , better , sounds better" ect .....
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo ➑️
But wait if this is not your heroes ....it's not credited right ?
That's pretty much it. Not saying people don't use Sonar but none of the people I admire in the industry currently do. I have a right to my heroes, you have a right to yours.

I used the Sonar platform for 12 years and finally just gave up when I realized while they are great at creating new screen gizmos and undisputedly have one of the best midi implementations out there. I did not like the results I was getting for audio. Mixing songs side by side, the results for me are better in Protools. This I attribute to the default tools they provide. It doesn't matter how great the software knobs, drag and drop and screen real estate gizmos you create, at the end of the day its the audio that matters.
Old 5th October 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Strange statement while summing engine (and resolution) of Sonar was way better than the old PT one !! diffrence in mixes , i'm surprised for real ...anyway i stop poluating the thread and keep the dicussion about X2 impressions / after the quik fixe now ....
Old 5th October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I had to jump off Sonar after X1d. I can't understand how I can have a driver conflict with my audio interface Cakewalk knows about it and cannot do anything to fix the conflict apparently. I understand sometimes **** happens but when it comes to Sonar it always seems like it just doesn't work with other people's products and that its picky about computers and its becoming more and more bloated rather than reliable in my experience. I had Sonar 4 upgraded to 7 went back to 4 thought maybe 7 was an isolated screw up went to X1 and found that a lot of problems were fixed but that there were new problems after that. Something as simple as rewire not working or me getting pops and clicks anytime I open a plug in due to my audio interface I use is not acceptable to me. I've been told to buy a new interface but I bought this thing for $500 less than a year ago. I think I paid $100 for my upgrade to X1 studio. So instead of spending another $500 I just bought Live 8 which works perfectly for me and is a lot less buggy than Sonar. Live does crash more than Sonar but at least I know the features work and each Live update I get seems to be more and more stable. I can handle the random often for no reason crashing but I cannot take the advertised features not working as advertised like 64 bit rewire which is a big problem for me.
Old 5th October 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
and buying a good intreface isn't an option ?

your intreface dosen't work ? ok so it's not :

Roland
RME
MOTU
Presonus
Focusrite
NI
Lexicon
M-audio
Avid
Echo

ect those i know it works (friends iwned it or me tested it) with sonar..

so please tell me what's that inteface that doesn't work with sonar ..?

EDIT : Also i found Live real stable so maybe this inteface don't work with sonar and crahses easy Live ....mmm drivers maybe , no ...sonar is less forgiven for bad drivers than live ...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Thks for the feedback , so you're just saying that X2 , a new version of a software with planty of new future is not yet stable (more bugs that stability issues) and some improvement gotta be made on some new features .....great , this is not a surprise and not some unik to sonar

when i saw the PT 10 first upadte fix i was trealled on issues that were introduced on the "INDUSTRY" standard and some major stuff (!! at the same time i saw Pros praising PT like "it's faster , better , sounds better" ect .....
Sonar has the ability to be great. It's got an uphill battle because PT is the industry standard and in order to fight with the big boys Cakewalk must go Mac. I love PC and can't afford a great Mac, but it's true unless I'm mistaken about the industry.
Logic is used often because guys who want something other than PT have a Mac and Logic is the "next best thing".

If Sonar could manage to release a version without any show-stoppers (no metering is death, disappearing pro channel modules is killer to some), then we'd be more comfortable saying "ok, bugs happen. No biggie".
But it's more often than not that we have to get the new release, wait two months until it's stable, then finally get to work with it. Cakewalk definitely has a predictable release cycle and it now includes it's users quite a bit because we all are hanging around waiting for the "boom" of bugs after release.
Old 5th October 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Correct man ...

The thing is that X1D here is solid as rock ...no bugs (for my use) and no metering and PC weirdness .....

When i tried PT 10 and it was a fiasco i didn't said like some stuff i read here and ther about sonar , PT sucks ...i said to my self PT 10 sucks FOR NOW .....witch is a big difference !!!

So yep X2 might have some bug .....and as a pro , i never install or at least use a new version of anything before at least 6 months of feedback !!
Old 5th October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I was well-aware of the rep Cakewalk's release cycle has. I've used Sonar since v. 6. It's pretty much common knowledge around their forums that no matter how great their "intro" videos seem to make things, there will be bugs that 1/3 of the users seem to run into. It's all a matter of who can tolerate it vs. who cannot.

X1d runs fine for me, but I do have to workaround Melodyne and the time-based plugin bugs that X1d brought out. I think that is one of the worst bugs that did not get a fix for Sonar ever. I have to spend an extra 30-45 mins per project on a workaround for using Melodyne when I need to. It's lame.

Pro Tools has it's own issues. I haven't used a newer version in years so perhaps it's all good. I can't comment. I do know that the industry is tied to that DAW. Good or bad? Not my call haha.
I'm not having to interface with other studios, therefore I can afford to not deal with it at the moment. I just use what works for me.

I have also tried other DAWs (reaper, Studio One, etc). They all have quirks. It's just whatever you like and what gets it done best for the person using it. For me, Cakewalk wins.
Old 5th October 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
fooman : time based effects bug ? man i really don't have it and i use quite a lot !!

Melodyne ...since i don't use it , can't say ....V vocal when i need some tweak ....but as i master the production stage , the lyrics are straight or not recoded .....

So basicaly , a Daw is not that good because i can use 250 effects but one isn't working right : "Melodyne" .....this would be a little logical to investigate on Celemony direction maybe , no ?

Dude , i ain't saying you're not right at all ...i give all credits to you ...the thing is that i seen too many guyz strugllingand bashing things(daws ,soundcard and all) and don't have a clue about third party components that are the real culprit( chipsets , bootware causing high dpc , 3rd party plugins , settings ...ect )

So if i have a stable , trouble free set up ....it should be the same for all and if it's not , guyz can't blame on some fully working elsewhere ....pure logic !!

This is a general statement , not on you Fooman just to clarify my positions and sometime my rudness (maybe ...sorry if it's felt like that) ...
Old 5th October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Melodyne is needed when someone is off pitch and re-recording it is either inefficient or brings the session to a halt. Sucks, yes. But that's how it is, so I use it because it brings me work.

It's a known bug within Sonar. Celemony did look into it. X2 has fixed it. Apparently other plugins would behave similarly with a quick-bounce. I can't confirm.

I am normally like you I normally attribute people with issues to simply having less-than-stellar setups. I have a pretty decent interface with my Lynx stuff. My PC is custom-built and not bloated with junk. And moreso, X1d works relatively great! So when a new release has non-working meters on some tracks, I attribute this to the software.

Troubleshooting and debugging software is not a simple matter. Cakewalk has the automatic problem-reporter now. Great idea. Let's see if they in fact can use it to make a more stable product in the coming years. They seem to be using it now, which is awesome.

As I said, I'm as close to a Cakewalk fanboi as you can get... unless I see reason to bring up an issue. The Melodyne issue has me working extra time when I use it and that is almost every other project (if I could afford to not use it, I would. I HATE tuning vocals!). Still, I had not complained about it aside from asking about it in the Cakewalk forums.

</rant> haha
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
and buying a good intreface isn't an option ?

your intreface dosen't work ? ok so it's not :

Roland
RME
MOTU
Presonus
Focusrite
NI
Lexicon
M-audio
Avid
Echo

ect those i know it works (friends iwned it or me tested it) with sonar..

so please tell me what's that inteface that doesn't work with sonar ..?

EDIT : Also i found Live real stable so maybe this inteface don't work with sonar and crahses easy Live ....mmm drivers maybe , no ...sonar is less forgiven for bad drivers than live ...
We have had this convo more than once its Propellerhead's Balance interface its a great interface. Why would I spend another $500 on a new interface to run a program I got for $100? On top of the fact that it runs perfectly fine with every DAW except for Sonar. Reaper, Cubase, Live, Reason, Studio One and Acid all work fine with it on my end. I have also heard it works really well with Logic and Pro Tools. But it gives me issues in Sonar and now its the interface's fault? Its a process of elimination dude not a bash on Sonar. You are so worried about defending Sonar that you are ignoring facts. I bought the interface 8 months ago for $500 why would I just dump it for a new one for a program that I got for $100? That doesn't make an ounce of sense. I don't think its bad drivers I think its an odd conflict that Sonar creates and Cakewalk is unwilling to address just like they will not address issues with rewire. Honestly as a DAW I think Sonar is great for the most part. But it seems like most 3rd party stuff does not always agree with Sonar.
Old 5th October 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
oh Kev ...i didn't remeber that was you .....lol but that changes nothing in the fact that i still think jumping on a bran new interface by a brand that never done it and saying that Sonar witch is working with 99% of intrefaces is the culprite and the fact it works with another daw is just saying that this other daw is more compliant to bad drivers

I'm not defending sonar eyes closed dude , i heard a lot of things about sonar but drivers issues with interfaces is really unusal .....

Rewire ? i used reason + sonar rewired since S8 ....no issue here (i'm in 32bits maybe that's it )

Have you upadted the aud .ini by just renaming it and force soanr to rescan driver audio ?

what driver mod ? asio .? .....for real i will call SCV (french distribution of Props) and ask for a demo of the unit ...and try ....

If it works you own me a Maschine expansion ! bbut again like i said the intreface was super attracktive but when a student want a real good serious and rock solid driver interface it's :

RME
Roland

Cross platform super low latency rock solid drivers

And i'm sure i will not hear another question about intrefaces during the whole year !! for real ...

Actually i heard what a student did with a quadcapture and a Blue baby bottle and it was impressive !
Old 6th October 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
I really really like sonarx2. I sort of liked x1 and 8.5 as well, but it always felt clunky and long winded to do the basic sequencing things you could do on an Atari st and cubase many moons ago. However, the bundled software that comes with it made up for it a bit.

X2 gets rid of these ills to a large extend and extends the portfolio of synths and plugins to a real workhorse. I had trouble with it prior to the update fix, but haven't had a crash since.
It runs for me fine on a quad core 3800 with 8gb ddr2 ram.

Many of the bugs reported now seem fairly minimal to me at least, or just not understanding new workflows, or hardware problems. There is certainly no excuse to not make quality recordings on it. There is nothing wrong with the version I am using and don't see any of the reported bugs making and producing house music.
I don't buy into the fact that just because the big guns don't use it, it can't produce the goods. For me it is a huge step forward for sonar in terms of workflow and is up there with its peers hands down.

Well worth giving a look if you are thinking of changing your daw or buying a new one.
Old 7th October 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

X2 + Quick Fix Build 308,and you have as solid if not more than X1D,I promise!

Also is ANYONE using X2 with the Native Instruments"Audio 6" USB interface?
RK
Old 7th October 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I still use 8.3 exclusively (8.5 crashes on me). Like X1, X2 will have to prove itself before I switch. Every program seems to have a few satisfied customers. Windows Me did, and it's the worst OS ever created. And I can't imagine why someone would regard Sonar as something lesser than ProTools. Ever product has a brand that caters to the rich. But that doesn't make it better. I have a close friends who sunk many thousands into a ProTools studio, and nothing he ever made can compare to the demos I created using Sonar 8.3. The bottom line is creativity and ears.
Old 7th October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
oh Kev ...i didn't remeber that was you .....lol but that changes nothing in the fact that i still think jumping on a bran new interface by a brand that never done it and saying that Sonar witch is working with 99% of intrefaces is the culprite and the fact it works with another daw is just saying that this other daw is more compliant to bad drivers

I'm not defending sonar eyes closed dude , i heard a lot of things about sonar but drivers issues with interfaces is really unusal .....

Rewire ? i used reason + sonar rewired since S8 ....no issue here (i'm in 32bits maybe that's it )

Have you upadted the aud .ini by just renaming it and force soanr to rescan driver audio ?

what driver mod ? asio .? .....for real i will call SCV (french distribution of Props) and ask for a demo of the unit ...and try ....

If it works you own me a Maschine expansion ! bbut again like i said the intreface was super attracktive but when a student want a real good serious and rock solid driver interface it's :

RME
Roland

Cross platform super low latency rock solid drivers

And i'm sure i will not hear another question about intrefaces during the whole year !! for real ...

Actually i heard what a student did with a quadcapture and a Blue baby bottle and it was impressive !
I use this interface with everything I do. The occasional game web surfing video recording music creation with every daw I can get my hands on with a demo watching movies ect and the only time I have a problem is with Sonar its hard not to blame Sonar. As for rewire go load reason setup a loop recording in Sonar and record reason's midi inside of Sonar. Do 3 tracks of this and you will see my problem. This has been documented Cake support has known and I've seen threads on their user forum dating back to 2007 saying this issue is here and nothing has changed except that they have made it 64 bit. 64 bit rewire works in other hosts flawlessly as 32 does but I have problems with both 32 and 64 bit rewire with Sonar. As far as audio interfaces that's all good that RME and Roland make good ones but I refuse to buy another one when I A) love the one I have B) its cheaper to change DAWs which I have done but doesn't change the fact that I think the issue should be fixed and the only way to see that happen is to sometimes scream loudly until someone listens and C) its less than a year old I'm not dumping a $500 interface to fix a program I updated for $100 that's silly. The drivers are fine. Idk why one would blame them when they conflict in only 1 piece of software. I work in Asio mode as well and I tried ASIO for all with it and the problem remained. I am not sure its the drivers I really think it is Sonar. Live is a great replacement for my midi work but its audio limitations where Sonar did well with need to be compensated for too. Debating on using Reaper but I hate the GUI. Might just use Reason audio tracks idk yet

Sent from my BlackBerry 8530
Old 7th October 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWest ➑️
I use this interface with everything I do
I would not choose sides here....refuse to actually....but that is a relatively unknown interface. You are beta testing.

Here you are on gearsluts and not one thread recommends your interface for anything. I have never heard of it myself. So Jeezo has made a point.

Yours is that it works with everything, except Sonar. You have a point as well but I wouldn't trash an app that doesn't work with my unknown interface.
Old 7th October 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Kev , i don't want you to buy another interface ..i'm giving facts for an educated buy for people that might read this thread

Also this would be an advise for your future purchase ....for now just do what you do and it's all fine ...but for real , myself i would have changed the interface instead if learning another daw while i'm used to sonar since the 90' !
Old 8th October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by brockorama ➑️
I would not choose sides here....refuse to actually....but that is a relatively unknown interface. You are beta testing.

Here you are on gearsluts and not one thread recommends your interface for anything. I have never heard of it myself. So Jeezo has made a point.

Yours is that it works with everything, except Sonar. You have a point as well but I wouldn't trash an app that doesn't work with my unknown interface.
You've never heard of it? It is about a year old but its been winning awards since its been released. Its a solid interface was my point. I don't mind learning a new DAW I understand general production so for me it wasn't a big deal. The interface with Sonar was a deal breaker for me since I got the interface before Sonar and I have chose the interface for several reasons. THe biggest one being that I am a hardcore Reason user who uses rewire most of the time. Having that interface and not having the ignition key was a no brainer for me. Using it with Live works though I will continue to do that and move forward with that. I wouldn't call it beta testing though you should research the interface you might find a lot of information about it. It really is a great interface. https://www.propellerheads.se/products/balance/

Quote:
Kev , i don't want you to buy another interface ..i'm giving facts for an educated buy for people that might read this thread

Also this would be an advise for your future purchase ....for now just do what you do and it's all fine ...but for real , myself i would have changed the interface instead if learning another daw while i'm used to sonar since the 90' !
The problem with that is that I am educated on audio interfaces as well. I know of the Roland and RME stuff and have for years. I am not knocking those interfaces I am just saying that mine is solid as well. You have been using Sonar since the 90s though so I can understand the attachment. I don't have that same attachment to Sonar since its never been my main DAW. I got it to make up for Reason 3's shortcomings when it comes to audio and stopped using it when Record came out and decided I wanted to bring it back into the mix. i had version 4 and version 4 ran awesomely hell version 4 works fine with this interface even but X1 gave me a lot of headaches.
Old 8th October 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Where are you guys at on Sonar's BitBridge Versus JBridge?

I'm still on X1 and getting pops, clicks, noise w/ some 32bit plugins.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooljoebay ➑️
I still use 8.3 exclusively (8.5 crashes on me). Like X1, X2 will have to prove itself before I switch. Every program seems to have a few satisfied customers. Windows Me did, and it's the worst OS ever created.
What? Even including Vista?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearAndGuitars ➑️
Where are you guys at on Sonar's BitBridge Versus JBridge?

I'm still on X1 and getting pops, clicks, noise w/ some 32bit plugins.
J bridge was nothing but a hassle for me,as long as I turn off wifi/acpi battery,then I get super low DPC,and the built in Bit Bridge works fine for me.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWest ➑️
You've never heard of it? It is about a year old but its been winning awards since its been released. Its a solid interface was my point. I don't mind learning a new DAW I understand general production so for me it wasn't a big deal. The interface with Sonar was a deal breaker for me since I got the interface before Sonar and I have chose the interface for several reasons. THe biggest one being that I am a hardcore Reason user who uses rewire most of the time. Having that interface and not having the ignition key was a no brainer for me. Using it with Live works though I will continue to do that and move forward with that. I wouldn't call it beta testing though you should research the interface you might find a lot of information about it. It really is a great interface. https://www.propellerheads.se/products/balance/

The problem with that is that I am educated on audio interfaces as well. I know of the Roland and RME stuff and have for years. I am not knocking those interfaces I am just saying that mine is solid as well. You have been using Sonar since the 90s though so I can understand the attachment. I don't have that same attachment to Sonar since its never been my main DAW. I got it to make up for Reason 3's shortcomings when it comes to audio and stopped using it when Record came out and decided I wanted to bring it back into the mix. i had version 4 and version 4 ran awesomely hell version 4 works fine with this interface even but X1 gave me a lot of headaches.
Kev ...please even if you're a pro in audio don't tell me that it was an educated move , you took risks buy being an early adopter (i don't even talk about the sonar thing here but in general)

And as you don't even buy a new car from a new builder to BMW or benz ....it might be good but you take risks and you know it ...

When i saw this interface, i said it's just very good in concept ....but it's also the case with the Forte (that i plan to try also for my student) .....and even if i dig the features and concept ...and even if focusrite knows some about audio interfaces , i'm very suspicious about it ....

So unless he has another solid interface , a pro will never jump on a new interface if he doesn't have a plan B or simply if it comes early after release or from a manufacturer that is not known for that .....jumping on a new apogee or RME isn't the same on jumping on the first attempt of properlhead !!! please !!

Edit : Kev if you don't mind after your answer let's get back to X2
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rksguit ➑️
J bridge was nothing but a hassle for me,as long as I turn off wifi/acpi battery,then I get super low DPC,and the built in Bit Bridge works fine for me.
interesting. I've had the same experience so far. They really love j-bridge on the sonar forums. Total hassle for me. But I'm wondering about my pops/clicks.

Where do I find the acpi battery setting?
Old 9th October 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Kev ...please even if you're a pro in audio don't tell me that it was an educated move , you took risks buy being an early adopter (i don't even talk about the sonar thing here but in general)

And as you don't even buy a new car from a new builder to BMW or benz ....it might be good but you take risks and you know it ...

When i saw this interface, i said it's just very good in concept ....but it's also the case with the Forte (that i plan to try also for my student) .....and even if i dig the features and concept ...and even if focusrite knows some about audio interfaces , i'm very suspicious about it ....

So unless he has another solid interface , a pro will never jump on a new interface if he doesn't have a plan B or simply if it comes early after release or from a manufacturer that is not known for that .....jumping on a new apogee or RME isn't the same on jumping on the first attempt of properlhead !!! please !!

Edit : Kev if you don't mind after your answer let's get back to X2
I did have a back up plan for my interface I just didn't have one for Sonar. I think we are going to have to agree to disagree. You swear its the interface's problem but when every piece of software I have used it with works and Sonar has had a history of not working with certain hardware for no real reason other than it doesn't its hard to not blame Sonar. Go to the Cakewalk forums and tell them you have a problem the first reply is usually "What hardware do you have?" I have been using different audio interfaces and DAWs for 10 years. I have used just about everything available for PC and the only time I have ever had to consider what hardware will work with my DAW is when dealing with Sonar so I highly disagree with that its Sonar. You have been on Sonar for 20 years where is your experience with other DAWs to back what you are saying is where i am coming from. Props are not known for putting out faulty anything and I did test this card with other DAWs before buying then a month later decided to upgrade my Sonar and use it with it after using version 4 with the card and it working fine. Cakewalk has been known to update features have them not work and keep trucking on like nothing happened. I understand your pov but again Props are known for deep testing their whole philosophy is make gear that works and in general they do.
πŸ“ Reply