Quantcast
Sonar X2 Impressions - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sonar X2 Impressions
Old 1st October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have never been a sonar fan since about sonar 6. Too glitchy and buggy. But I have say X2 has been running very well. Remixed an old song with only stock pro channel plugs and it sounds really good.
Old 2nd October 2012
Lives for gear

Is everybody pumped for Sonar X3?

It comes out next week!
Old 2nd October 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
It might be two years before X3 comes out. In the meantime, we'll have X2, which should tide us over just fine !!

There's already a quick fix posted.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djwayne ➑️
It might be two years before X3 comes out. In the meantime, we'll have X2, which should tide us over just fine !!

There's already a quick fix posted.
The key word is might...

Breaking News...Sonar X4 planned for November!!!
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello people ➑️
Breaking News...Sonar X4 planned for November!!!
No man,that's what"avid"is gonna call their HUGE leap forward-64 bit-"ProTools X4",except the "official" name will be with the "upper case" of the No.4 key
Old 3rd October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
X2 is running great here !! I really like the new free content program too !!
Old 4th October 2012 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I have been a loyal Cakewalk user since the Pro Audio days. I am currently running a Creation Station CS400, Windows 7, Motu HD192 at 96k. Overall I really like X2 and the new console emu (used in moderation), no midi at this time. BUT I am having a problem. When I try and delete a Waves plug in (Gold Bundle- Waves 9.0) my system crashes ("Not Responding") and I lose all unsaved data. Also whenever I close a project I also get the "Not Responding" message. I have not tried 44 or 48 yet (96 sounds so much better) and all my projects so far have been originally recorded in X1. I did have the X1d patch installed previously. Any ideas ??? The quick fix does not seem to adress this. Any one else had this problem ??
Old 4th October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I ended my run with Cakewalk after X1. I hope them all the best. Protools user now because....all my mixing heroes use Protools.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by upchurchmusic ➑️
I have been a loyal Cakewalk user since the Pro Audio days. I am currently running a Creation Station CS400, Windows 7, Motu HD192 at 96k. Overall I really like X2 and the new console emu (used in moderation), no midi at this time. BUT I am having a problem. When I try and delete a Waves plug in (Gold Bundle- Waves 9.0) my system crashes ("Not Responding") and I lose all unsaved data. Also whenever I close a project I also get the "Not Responding" message. I have not tried 44 or 48 yet (96 sounds so much better) and all my projects so far have been originally recorded in X1. I did have the X1d patch installed previously. Any ideas ??? The quick fix does not seem to adress this. Any one else had this problem ??
check if your using a 96 compatible plugin :

Wavesupport | Tech Specs | Sample Rate Support
Old 4th October 2012
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Hey great idea, hadn't considered that. So I checked. Yes all that I use, specifically L1 and GTR are 96 k for native. I only have this problem when trying to delete them. For now I just turn them off. I have turned off the plug in scan for each time I load x2. I'm going to try doing a scan to see if that makes any difference.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldone ➑️
I ended my run with Cakewalk after X1. I hope them all the best. Protools user now because....all my mixing heroes use Protools.
I'm sorry to say this but,"all my mixing heroes use PT",is not a very intelligent sounding reason for choosing a Daw,and,if you really knew,it "may" even turn out,they don't even use what you think they use,sure a promo of them tweaking on utoob etc "may" show them using PT,but when there are NO CAMERAS around,they could be using ANYTHING.....seriously.

My upgrade to X2 was $99,I got some free strings for Dimenson Pro,+ the Full version of Rapture,the THD Guitar sim,Console emulation,an Excellent reverb called Breverb,R-Mix,also my boxed version turned up today[$29]with a Free E-MU proteus CD,I could not be more pleased,X2 is an amazing upgrade,regardless of the low cost.

All my projects in X1[which after X1C ran perfectly] now use LESS CPU too,I put off getting into digital for years and years,due to the "mantra" of "Must have Apple,must have PT",and I'm glad I waited,cause I could/would never afford the bloated prices Apple/Avid charge,I mean HDX is over $10,000 here-insane.

Cakewalk are the only daw company,that actually interacts with their users on their forum,how many others do that?I have gotten direct answers to questions,a few times now,and I'm amazed as our time zone differences are extreme,yet these guys are there,ready to help,I wonder if Avid will be willing to that?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rksguit ➑️
Cakewalk are the only daw company,that actually interacts with their users on their forum,how many others do that?
Reaper (even more than Cakewalk) and Steinberg (to a more limited extent.)
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:

Cakewalk are the only daw company,that actually interacts with their users on their forum,how many others do that?I have gotten direct answers to questions,a few times now,and I'm amazed as our time zone differences are extreme,yet these guys are there,ready to help,I wonder if Avid will be willing to that?
Lol...they interact just so it looks like they care. They don't actually listen or take suggestions.

For example, check the threads on the cake forums asking for anything about improving Staff view - or at least making it like it was in 8.5 since it was broken in X1 and is still broken in X2 based on user accounts. At least make it functional like it was. The bakers are in every thread spewing out their marketing, yet they avoid the staff view threads like the plague.

The best part is up until recently Brandon over at Cakewalk had a coffee mug on top of sheet music as his avatar. Laughable. He's changed it recently though because he probably realizes how asinine it is in light of the fact that they ignore staff view and in fact it gets worse with every version of Sonar. Guaranteed he can't even read music anyway.

Hilarious.

Regards,
Frank
Old 4th October 2012
Lives for gear

Did anybody used to use Guitar Tracks Pro 2?

That was what I first bought.

It was the shizzle
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm sorry to say this but,"all my mixing heroes use PT",is not a very intelligent sounding reason for choosing a Daw
I'm pretty sure he was joking chief.

You're from Australia...you should recognize wry sarcasm when you read it.

Come on cobber...fair suck of the old sav hey?!
Old 4th October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Funny incident with reverb. I used the Breverb (Plate) for the singers vocal and he complained there wasn't any reverb on his voice. I remixed it using the Sonitus Reverb with about the same amount of reverb and he was happy.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello people ➑️
I'm pretty sure he was joking chief.

You're from Australia...you should recognize wry sarcasm when you read it.

Come on cobber...fair suck of the old sav hey?!
Is that a "self saucing" sav,or not?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireberd ➑️
Funny incident with reverb. I used the Breverb (Plate) for the singers vocal and he complained there wasn't any reverb on his voice. I remixed it using the Sonitus Reverb with about the same amount of reverb and he was happy.
Thats why its such a great reverb,you can use buckets of it,and it still doesn't sound "swamped".
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Cakewalk are the only daw company,that actually interacts with their users on their forum,how many others do that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in SoCal ➑️
Reaper (even more than Cakewalk) and Steinberg (to a more limited extent.)
Add Studio One to the list as well.

BTW does X2 finally allow you to change loop points on the fly without gapping the audio?

Earlier in the evening I had to go back to an old session I did in Sonar 8.5 and man... all the stuff I used to live with, I now find intolerable - thanks to my current main DAW having a truly gapless audio engine...

Oh well back to work..
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-San ➑️
Add Studio One to the list as well.

BTW does X2 finally allow you to change loop points on the fly without gapping the audio?

Earlier in the evening I had to go back to an old session I did in Sonar 8.5 and man... all the stuff I used to live with, I now find intolerable - thanks to my current main DAW having a truly gapless audio engine...

Oh well back to work..
Intolerable
Lives for gear

Quote:
Is that a "self saucing" sav,or not?
Do you mean a penis?

Oh...saucy...saucy

You saucy devil

Old 4th October 2012
Lives for gear

****,now I'm frightened!

Not really but should I be?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I'm sorry to say this but,"all my mixing heroes use PT",is not a very intelligent sounding reason for choosing a Daw,and,if you really knew,it "may" even turn out,they don't even use what you think they use,sure a promo of them tweaking on utoob etc "may" show them using PT,but when there are NO CAMERAS around,they could be using ANYTHING.....seriously.
Well I could have listed all the tests I did between Reaper, Protools and Sonar X1 which led me to this conclusion. But that always turns into a fist fight on this forum and I am not really interested in that.

I could respond by saying I really DO know what I am talking about but that would become a rather prideful conversation between you and I.

I don't thing think your imagining that once the cameras are turned off Pro mixers really turn off Protools and go to their DAW of choice...Garageband...is going to be anything to base a discussion on.

I'll simply list a few of my heroes and you do the research and tell me if you find proof otherwise.

Dave Pensado
George Massenburg
Mike Shipley
Nathan Chapman
Justin Niebank

Now why don't you list your mixing heroes and tell me how many are using Sonar X1. Seriously.
Old 4th October 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
One of the best $99 I have spent!
worth it just for the new console em, BreVerb and full version of Rapture
stable as,
Lots more to like over X1d
after a little try out.
Really looking forward to the weekend to really get into it.
Old 4th October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Regardless of what daw is "the best" for mixing, it would be awfully stupid to try to be a professional mixing engineer and not use PT...for obvious reasons.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Well I could have listed all the tests I did between Reaper, Protools and Sonar X1 which led me to this conclusion. But that always turns into a fist fight on this forum and I am not really interested in that.

I could respond by saying I really DO know what I am talking about but that would become a rather prideful conversation between you and I.

I don't thing think your imagining that once the cameras are turned off Pro mixers really turn off Protools and go to their DAW of choice...Garageband...is going to be anything to base a discussion on.

I'll simply list a few of my heroes and you do the research and tell me if you find proof otherwise.

Dave Pensado
George Massenburg
Mike Shipley
Nathan Chapman
Justin Niebank

Now why don't you list your mixing heroes and tell me how many are using Sonar X1. Seriously.

Pathetic ....!!

Ask your hereos if the industry standart was sonar , if sonar was in all studios and if they were new engineers if thy would choose PT instead nowdayz .....

And your Heroes are able to use anything and they will do good mixes anyway .....with this type of way of thinking you will certainly not evoluate .....keep watching pensado's place and mimic what ever you want /can ....you , by evidence don't have the "Mind" of a good engineer ....

Sorry to be rude , but sometime thing gotta be told ...see how Dave is please to try new things and all ...give him Sonar X1 and i'm sure he will jump on it and experiment !! he will also certainly keep PT as he's used to it and need to work against time (not that young now )
Old 4th October 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
For others , any input after the quick fix ?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo ➑️
Pathetic ....!!

Ask your hereos if the industry standart was sonar , if sonar was in all studios and if they were new engineers if thy would choose PT instead nowdayz .....
So name those top level mixers using Sonar again?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Dave Pensado
George Massenburg
Mike Shipley
Nathan Chapman
Justin Niebank
From what I've heard George Massenburg has used Nuendo quite a bit..

Actually here goes an article (albeit from 2006) with a brief mention of Sonar being amongst DAWs that he uses...

Prism Sound News: George Massenburg puts his seal of approval on Prism Sound's ADA-8XR

In terms of DAW sound quality - I'm fortunate that it is one of the least important pieces of the equation... I'm fine with mixing in Pro Tools, Studio One or Sonar...

Besides, most of my favorite-sounding records weren't mixed with a computer anyway lol
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-San ➑️
From what I've heard George Massenburg has used Nuendo quite a bit..

Actually here goes an article (albeit from 2006) with a brief mention of Sonar being amongst DAWs that he uses...

Prism Sound News: George Massenburg puts his seal of approval on Prism Sound's ADA-8XR

In terms of DAW sound quality - I'm fortunate that it is one of the least important pieces of the equation... I'm fine with mixing in Pro Tools, Studio One or Sonar...

Besides, most of my favorite-sounding records weren't mixed with a computer anyway lol
I would challenge that he has never released or mixed in Sonar. Also the paragraph you are referring to is not a direct quote from George. The author is taking license to sell his product. Where George is actually quoted..is in quotes throughout the article. Now if George comes on here and says he as mixed and released something in Sonar. I will stand corrected.
πŸ“ Reply