Quantcast
Sonar is like being on another planet... - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sonar is like being on another planet...
Old 27th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

12 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
here's another useful shortcut... ctrl-f9 selects from = beginning ctrl-f10 selcts to=end, holding the left mouse button while sliding thru the track numbers will select many tracks in one move.

ctrl-a and then shift-leftbutton mouse clicking on the top bar (the one with the bar numbers) will select a new ending.

also on sonar, as with many pc softwares, the right-click mouse button is always very useful to save time. try it. you will get the hang of it soon.
Old 28th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
don't get me wrong I really wanted to use Sonar, it would have saved me money to do so.....but for whatever reason.....

It has all the surround and i think it is 64 bit not sure, and a nice pitch correction, good stuff, but I felt like the clicks, cuts, moves and all the effects just didn't get it done for me......

I use Logic and I can cut paste move blend effects drag drop ultra beat, and it feels like it is easy........ maybe its not and I just got lucky but it happen.

I think garage band helped just fooling around with it before I used logic, it was seamless when going from one to another.....

Maybe I will try Sonar again knowing that I can always go back to Logic, see what i'm saying???
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain54 ➑️
I WANT to like Sonar, but it seems like it speaks its own language, very different from other DAW experiences I've had.

I'm a Mac/Logic guy, but I've picked up a very cheap custom built PC rig that could suffice as a VI instrument/midi/loop composition rig....I'm desperate to find some down and dirty PC software that isn't gonna take a lot of my time deciphering...This is just sort of satellite/supplemental rig...

I've no doubt that Sonar is as powerful as hell, and some of the included plugs are pretty cool...(Perfect Space, Vintage Channel) however, here was my experience in trying to create a simple little project with Reason via Rewire

1) After stripping down the arrange window to eliminate a lot of the flotsam and jetsom, I needed to create a master track to insert a master compression/limiter plug...the only way I was able to accomplish this was to create a bus, physically name it "MASTER" and re route the ins and outs. I've worked with a few other DAWs and everyone I can remember has the master bus already set up for you

2) Rewiring a REASON session seemed to go fairly smoothly, however, when I attempted bounce the entire session, my exported file only reflected the audio
track in my session, not my Rewire/Reason track (even though I had selected every option possible to include in my bounce in the export option window)

I'm sure most of this is pilot error, but the point is, I'm trying to eliminate as much
left brain as possible and focus on right....
Looks like you got most of your other issues straightened out already...

With regard to setting up a master buss... you don't absolutely need to... you can just route everything to whatever output options you have/want to use.

But, of course, many of us are used to slapping a compressor across the output at least some times.

So I just use project templates set up the way I like them for various purposes, my favorite v-synths in some of them, my favorite reverb plugged into a buss and that and all the tracks feeding to a buss with a compressor on it and that out on the main outs.

When I hit the new project button (or select that from the file menu) it pops up a list of my templates and I choose the one I want.

But, of course, sometimes a project will change direction in the middle -- and I also have some track templates set up with the right routing and FX for different purposes. You can set up favorite synths or vocal chains, etc, etc. And one nice thing is that if the track has sends to a buss when you save it as a track template, if the project you're using that template to creae one or more new tracks in doesn't have a like-named buss set up already, it creates it for you.

I don't know if Sonar is the greatest thing since sliced bread or not -- and I feel a certain weight of responsibilty even saying a bunch of nice things about it, since not everyone works the same way and what sounds good when one guy is talking about it may not feel good if it turns out you don't like to work the same way as that guy.

But the great thing about Sonar is that you can try the demo for free for 30 days and see if it works the way one likes to work.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 ➑️

I don't know if Sonar is the greatest thing since sliced bread or not -- and I feel a certain weight of responsibilty even saying a bunch of nice things about it, since not everyone works the same way and what sounds good when one guy is talking about it may not feel good if it turns out you don't like to work the same way as that guy.
I just had a flash of a group of guys having this very conversation a few years ago--

"Yeah, the granite has that solid feel when you carve it, but I just love the way limestone takes the chisel. Just nothing like it. Exquisite."hehheh

Last edited by Old Goat; 28th January 2009 at 02:10 AM.. Reason: assed up code
Old 1st February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I like Sonar. The 2st version I used was called dfegadCakewalk 8... boy did that suck... then Pro 9*Rock*Solid* I still keep a copy of this on my Box! Sonar is better in someways that never let me go all the way back, but it never really felt that same way for me again. I just Spent the last 2 Days with Reaper and It felt a lot like cheating on your high school sweatheart
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
SONAR is SONAR. I converted to SONAR when I switched from Dr. Ts on the ATARI ST to a PC... (it was called CAKEWALK back then).

The only GUI I knew was Dr. T's and SONAR was somewhat similar. That was a LONG TIME ago but since I have been using it for so long, I can' relate to its intuitiveness. I just KNOW it through osmosis.

It is the INVESTED TIME that keeps me from switching to a new DAW host. The others might be better or not but I don't want to have to learn how to do what I know in SONAR in another DAW. Would seem like a waste of time for me because all the major players in the DAW field offer all the necessary tools for making music (they just implement it differently).

I guess that since CAKEWALK is a mature product and they always needed to keep some continuity between releases that decades ago, before VSTi or PLUGINS existed, they need for an intuitive mixing environment didn't exist.

I remember when CAKEWALK was a liitle more than a MIDI sequencer with no support for AUDIO (I didn't need it so if it was there, I didn't notice).

So, if someone was going to design a new DAW interface, I am sure that the base of the GUI would be more intuitive to today's workflow and not the days when MIDI was the only reason to use a DAW.

Jim
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have been with sonar for over 5 years now. Since Sonar 3 PE to be exact

I've started with Cubase.
The work flow wasn't good for me.. to many windows openning and clossing.

Sonar lacked the midi abilities but i could work quicker and get my head around it easier.

I learned protools about a years ago i'd say.

At first i wasn't getting anywhere with that program. I felt alienized. It was mostly for the fact that i didn't know the keyboard shortcuts and how to snap to grid and everything ( usual task ) But i wanted to learn it so i did.

I could feel easily at home with PT if it wasn't for the ADC issue. Sonar is the one i'm most used to but it is unstable and ( on my machine ) doesn't handle the multicore very well.

-Alxi-
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
If you want to export a full mix just deselect everything (I click in the empty master channel) and export. I generally export just the master buss which will give you a "My Song-Master.XXX" file.

Now that Sonar has clip grouping (though not perfect) it is a ton easier to use. I own Pro-Tools MP and when I open it I feel like I'm on some DOS app. It maight be OK as a "tape machine", but it's just damn annoying.
Old 2nd February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by evermuse ➑️
I like Sonar. The 2st version I used was called dfegadCakewalk 8... boy did that suck... then Pro 9*Rock*Solid* I still keep a copy of this on my Box! Sonar is better in someways that never let me go all the way back, but it never really felt that same way for me again. I just Spent the last 2 Days with Reaper and It felt a lot like cheating on your high school sweatheart
Maybe cheating with a fat ugly coke bottle glasses wearin girl...
Reaper is no comparison...Please?
Old 2nd February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
After learnung on Cubase VST...I tried it for a year or so, Sonar Pro 3... and to be honest, I so missed the right click midi options in Cubase, I went out and got another Steinberg product.

The part I miss about Sonar is the community, especially the forum.

The Cubase forum is like an anal probe.
Old 3rd February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeper_6 ➑️
Maybe cheating with a fat ugly coke bottle glasses wearin girl...
Reaper is no comparison...Please?
I'm a Sonar guy (but Reaper would be the next thing I'd look at if I was looking) but what I really wanted to say is:

Don't discount those coke bottle glasses wearing girls. The wildest double-E-ticket GF ride I ever had (and I kept getting back on after being thrown off regularly for around 3 years) was a law student with big ol' thick glasses. She wasn't fat or ugly, though, and when she took off the glasses, watch out. And, man, that girl could drink. And everything else.
Old 3rd February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 ➑️
I'm a Sonar guy (but Reaper would be the next thing I'd look at if I was looking) but what I really wanted to say is:

Don't discount those coke bottle glasses wearing girls. The wildest double-E-ticket GF ride I ever had (and I kept getting back on after being thrown off regularly for around 3 years) was a law student with big ol' thick glasses. She wasn't fat or ugly, though, and when she took off the glasses, watch out. And, man, that girl could drink. And everything else.
Old 17th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I'm quite new to the whole recording process. I had been using Cubase LE for some time. I then got Cubase AI with my motif xs. While Cubase is nice, it always gave me trouble. It lost sync with my souncard so my recordings would sound like chipmunks were singing. If that weren't enough, I had to go into the options every time to let cubase know what audio card templet I wanted to use. I got tired of the previous, which I'm sure could be fixed with some research, and ended up buying Sonar 8. I like Sonar a lot. Everything just worked out of the box. Everything was routed perfectly, just perfectly. I have had no problems with it at all. Oh, and I love the included vintage channel strip. The reverbs are quite nice too.
πŸ“ Reply