Quantcast
All This Talk About "Breathable" Fabric - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
All This Talk About "Breathable" Fabric
Old 9th March 2014
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 10 years
All This Talk About "Breathable" Fabric

I've read tons of posts about corner bass traps needing "breathable" fabric, but then I read posts from reputable people saying that it's fine to stack rolls of insulation still wrapped in the plastic packaging. Last time I checked, plastic doesn't breathe. What gives?

Also, is it ok to fill the space above my drop ceiling with thin plastic garbage bags of insulation instead of laying raw insulation on top the tiles? I need to get into the ceiling space at times to access cabling, lighting fixtures and such, and need to lift the ceiling tiles without having fiberglass fibers fall out all over my room. I may be able to suspend the R-30 a few inches above the ceiling tiles making it easier to lift the tiles without disturbing the insulation - ending up with a configuration like this:

Armstrong 949 ceiling tiles - air space - R-30 - air space - R-16 in joists.

How do you guys with drop ceilings deal with them in a basement control room? Unfortunately, I can't take it out, and I do have a 6x6 cloud of GIK & ATS panels mounted into the grid.
Old 9th March 2014
Gear Guru

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Lightbulb

Absorbers meant for mid and high frequencies need acoustically transparent "breathable" fabric. Absorbers meant for bass only often absorb bass even better when covered with thin plastic or paper etc.

--Ethan

The Acoustic Treatment Experts
Old 10th March 2014
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Hello Ethan,
Thank you for your reply. I'm assuming it would be fine to keep the insulation above the drop ceiling in plastic bags (with the exception being above the built in cloud), and use fabric covered corner traps with FRK in the corners of the actual control room.
๐Ÿ“ Reply