Quantcast
Acoustically treating a room with polyurethane foam. - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Acoustically treating a room with polyurethane foam.
Old 9th March 2014
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Acoustically treating a room with polyurethane foam.

Decided to (finally) treat the living room (acoustically speaking); started reading on the topic of DIY building traps and diffusers, especially the stuff that Ethan Winer wrote on his website, RealTraps site, and here on GS (and other forums). Kudos!

The room has the following size: 5,42 m (L) x 3,12 m (W) x 2,40 m (H) = 17.78' (L) x 10.23' (W) x 7.87' (H).

Due to space constraints (only bedroom and living room I can't dedicate a room to a listening space) I'll have to put the monitors on the long side of the room (not optimal, but that's that).

I looked everywhere for OC 703/705 and it's nowhere to be found; searched on their website and the official distributors here in RO don't have it; basically, the only options are rockwool or glasswool (the fluffy type) from Isover and Knauf, none of which are appealing to me, neither acoustically nor visually. I wrote this paragraph to avoid any suggestions of using 703 / 705 (since I can't find it) or rock/glass wool.

However, there is a place where I can buy acoustic polyurethane foam of several shapes and densities, the options being:
  1. Panels made of high density foam (90 kg/m^3 = 5.61 lbs/ft^3) with the following thickness options: 10 cm, 7 cm, 5 cm, 4 cm (= 3.93", 2.75", 1.96", 1.57")
  2. Rounded pyramid panels made of low density foam (either 28 kg/m^3 = 1.74 lbs/ft^3, or 21 kg/m^3 = 1.31 lbs/ft^3), with the following thickness options: 6 cm, 5 cm, 4 cm, 3 cm, 2 cm (= 2.36", 1.96", 1.57", 1.18", 0.78"); they also provide corner basstraps made of these types of foam.

Here are my questions:
  1. Should I just make panels out of the high density foam (10 cm) or combine high density with low density (e.g. 7 cm high density with 3 cm pyramids, or 5 cm high density with 5 cm pyramids)? I'd like to keep the thickness of the panels around 10 - 12 cm (~ 4.5").
  2. Should I simply put panels in the corners of the room (and leave air behind the panels as Ethan suggests), or fill the space behind with the low density bass trap (it's still not clear to me whether this will help or not)?
  3. Should I build some skyline diffusers for the rear wall, but lose the bass traps on the rear corners, or vice-versa? (bass traps on all four corners, but no diffusers)

Thanks in advance!!
Old 9th March 2014
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Mods please delete this, I posted it in the main forum and I hope I'll get some answers โ€“ maybe this was the wrong sub-forum to post in?
๐Ÿ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…