Hollow cavities in monitoring room - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Hollow cavities in monitoring room
Old 5th March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Hollow cavities in monitoring room

Hi,

Im building a home theater room in my basement. It is 22f by 19f by 10f. I have built 2 inch frames (with a spacing of 2 feet wide between each frame) around the room to be a base for plywood (mostly for aesthetic appeal). The exterior of the ply will be covered with acoustic treatment for about 60% of its surface area (appearing mostly at ear height ) . I am worried that the hollow space of 2 inches behind the plywood will cause bass buildup and resonance. Do i need to add insulation in this hollow space and if so should i use one inch or 2inch insulation?
Old 5th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hey and welcome to the forum. From what you wrote, it seems likely that you may not understand both what your needs are as well as possible solutions to rectify any challenges you may or may not have with regards to acoustics for your home theater. I hate to see anyone waste time and effort in their projects, so I'd highly suggest assessing what it is you hope to achieve with your sound and then identify the best course of action.

I'm sure this answer sounds stuffy and unhelpful, but again I often see threads like this either go unanswered due to lack of information from both the poster or that responses are given which though may answer the question, generally don't help with the underlying fundamentals inherent to the project. So, I hate to sound like a broken record, but do please read at least the stickies. If they don't confuse you even more, they may at least help you ask proper questions.
Old 6th March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
To reiterate my question:-
I am constructing a home theater in my basement. The basement is made of concrete. I have mounted plywood on 2inch wood studs along the four walls. This leaves a hollow cavity of 2 inches between the concrete and the plywood. My question relates to resonant frequencies and the acoustic properties inside my theater room and whether adding insulation in the hollow cavity will help the acoustics in my room and if so, how drastic will its effect be.
Old 6th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
itsfine
Old 7th March 2014 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by John White ➑️
itsfine
So i shouldn't need to fill it with insulation?
Old 8th March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
?
Old 9th March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
anyone?
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…