Quantcast
Another "lofty" acoustic question - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Another "lofty" acoustic question
Old 26th January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Another "lofty" acoustic question

I recently posted about a problematic refrigerator in the loft I own. The answer I got was so simple it reminded me not to overthink. Thanks. I don't think this one is as simple.

Next noise project - the windows at the end of my loft:

15' 6'' x 7'
The windows are set back 3" into the steel frame so one idea is to cut some acoustic material and stuff it in there. I don't want to deal with a fiberglass product.

I am only concerned about keeping sound out, not reflections.

Another idea is to build 3 panels that are about 5' wide that reach up to where the blinds are. There is a concrete ledge below the windows that is 10.5" wide. The steel frames are set back 2.5" into the concrete so I could build some 2" x 4" frames, what to put on them is another question.

I need this to be fairly easy to put up/take down, I don't want to live in a recording studio and I love my view. It's already pretty quiet here, it's double paned glass. If I could knock down a bit of the traffic noise that would be great.

Ideas, thoughts on materials?

tia
AS
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Any idea of how much attenuation you need? As the required isolation increases, the fix can get very involved. Given the constraints as I understand them so far, I'm thinking of a few options. For example, it is possible to get a bit of isolation from interior shutters.
Old 26th January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
I don't need a whole lot of attenuation. It's really pretty quiet but a little traffic noise makes it through the windows. Something temporary that can be moved into place and removed is the only way I can do this, the HOA would not allow any permanent solutions nor would I want that.

Another idea I had is to hang some sort of cloth/blanket in front of the blinds, which BTW knock the noise down a bit already. This would be pretty easy.

AS
Old 27th January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Here is a sample of acoustic guitar - you can hear the traffic particularly in the right channel (which is about 2' from the guitar.) The mics are approximately 22' from the window.

AS
Attached Files

granada.mp3 (8.03 MB, 487 views)

Old 27th January 2013
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Given your constraints, I'd start with a folding gobo that when unfolded was ~10 to 20% wider than the window and make it floor-standing. You will not get huge attenuation, but it will be reasonably effective in the midrange. To go beyond that, I think you'd need a portable treatment that would be able to seal against the wall around the window. Even folded, either of these will be quite large and heavy. Having a treatment sit on the ledge is a possibility - just remember that a small opening passes a large level of sound. If you can see light coming through a crack - that's a problem. You mention not wanting a fiberglass product but that's where I'd point you - something like OC 703 or 705, the thicker the better. If you don't like working with fiberglass, just hire it out and have it covered with cloth and there will be no irritation.
Old 28th January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
What do you guys think of this idea? Build a series of panels with wooden frames that have 1" OC 703 covered with white burlap. Here's what one of the panels would look like (sans cloth):

Due to depth constrictions, with this idea the 703 will have to fit inside the wooden frame.

Here's what the whole shebang would look like:

I could do this for less than $200.

AS
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
when I have dealt with situations where light is important, as is sound attenuation, I have relied on solutions from VEKA and Fenesta. ymmv. or... you could try aural sonic and report back
Old 29th January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
I have decided that it's all a bit too much - the problem isn't that bad - I'm just going to hang some heavy (25-32oz) velour up and hope for the best. That's the easiest and least intrusive solution.

Thanks for the ideas.

AS
πŸ“ Reply