Quantcast
Favorite DIY bass trap designs?? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Favorite DIY bass trap designs??
Old 26th January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Favorite DIY bass trap designs??

I have done such a large amount of research on bass traps, its sort of overwhelming. Even when it probably shouldn't be!

Anyways, I'm finally looking to dive into my own DIY bass trap project and want to get the best bang for my buck as far as insulation product, wood, fabric, etc.

I would like insight from others on which bass trap designs you have tried and love...and also which you might have tried which don't exactly work best.

I'm looking into some Roxul Safe n Sound and wondering if this would do? 3" depth

Shop Roxul 8-Pack 47-in L x 23-in W x 3-in D Stone Wool Insulation Batts at Lowes.com

And also and thinking about making my traps 2'X2' seeing as how I am limited on space in my vocal booth area...still straddling corners, hitting ceilings, and placing on walls.

any input would be appreciated..thank you!
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
A super chunk made with attic insulation is a no brainer type of investment. An untreated room will benefit. An MLV trap is more complex to build and may be able to target room-specific problems. A VPR is probably the most space-efficient solution.
Old 29th January 2013
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Best Traps

+1 the bigger StudioTips SuperChunk design, or a square version. Basically any big quantity of light fibre in a corner.

DIY Acoustic Traps

2x2 seems small, unless you are planning plenty of them. Room treatment, speaking wildly, to be noticeable, would need to cover at least 20% of the surface area.
DD
Old 30th January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
I'm planning to put two 2 x 4s on opposite walls and my sound blanket nailed to the other. I planned to put the 2 x 2 traps in the corners and 2 on the door. Also 4 on the ceiling to fit around the lighting I have.
Old 2nd February 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
I recently purchased roxul safe n sound 2 x 4 and 3" thick each panel. I've looked at plenty of DIY plans. I just haven't seem to find a SIMPLE plan to have an exposed wood frame rather then fabric all around.

Can anybody lend some help on that? Plans, pics, video.
Old 2nd February 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
How to make Bass Traps - DIY Super Chunk Bass Traps - YouTube

I basically used that plan. They came out looking great and highly effective.
It's not very hard. Just do your research, make sure you buy the right insulation and create the thickness that suits your purposes. I made four 2'x4'x4" and two 4'x'4'x2" panels from OC703 and lumbar from home depot that was very long and roughly 1"x2" to build the frame. Just take your time and take it one step at a time. you will also need fabric and a staple gun. Go to salvation army or some thrift store to get fabric that you can breath through somewhat.

I have seen a couple fabulous looking designs with the frame exposed, but that means staining the wood and cutting angled corners if you want them to really look nice. IMHO it's too time consuming to do all that.

Hope this helps
Old 3rd February 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
I'm planning to build traps that are 3" thick of roxul safe n sound. Maybe I'm just bad at math ( I am lol) but which dimensions would work for traps in 3" thickness?

I like the plan you recommended and I'll try that out.
Old 3rd February 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Also, the little posts he made for the back frame? We're the dimensions of those ever mentioned ??
Old 3rd February 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
He did not mention the dimensions for the post. My posts are made from left over pieces of 1"x2" wood that was used to create the back frame. In your case just make them 3" in length if you're going with 3" depth.
Take a few minutes and figure out how much wood you need and buy a little extra in case you have to recut something. Get some skinny nails and hammer them as straight as you can or else the wood will split. Be careful and take ur time
Old 3rd February 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Thanks man. Definitely gotta figure out how much wood I'll need. I'll be making 8 of these.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…