Quantcast
Floating floor question - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Floating floor question
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Floating floor question

Hi, i'm building a Oneroom studio on the second floor of a new building. What i'm after is to lessen soundtransmission to other rooms a bit as i will have no controlroom wall. The maximum load i can use is 250kg/m2 been thinking of just using sand? The floor will be 22mm Oak parquet.

How would you construct it?

Thanks/Toby
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
are you simply reducing the impact noise, or have plans to build walls on the floating floor (or floating the walls separately and sealed to the floating floor)? if the former, then you can probably use other lighter methods of reducing the impact noise. if the you're thinking that only a floating floor will do it and that flanking noise down the walls or the via the ceiling are not an issue, please explain.
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Floating Floors

Thanks for your reply!

No plans for a room with in a room, the walls will be soundprofed enough but as the structure is metal on the second floor and the concrete floor are connected to other rooms i would like to reduce impact and transmission noise.

I don´t want to build a heavy mass floated floor and are a bit scared of building a too light floated floor as i think that would be contra productive.

So many options available../Toby
Old 23rd January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattssons ➡️
Thanks for your reply!

No plans for a room with in a room, the walls will be soundprofed enough but as the structure is metal on the second floor and the concrete floor are connected to other rooms i would like to reduce impact and transmission noise.

I don´t want to build a heavy mass floated floor and are a bit scared of building a too light floated floor as i think that would be contra productive.

So many options available../Toby
We need much more information to give an appropriate response. If you are only interested in reducing impact noise (walking on the floor of the studio) to the rest of building, then install a carpet. Any lightweight floating floor will reduce the transmission loss of low mid frequencies.

Aee you having problems with the footsteps in the room being bothersome in the other spaces in the building?

Andre
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
i think 250 kg/m2 is not bad at all... 10 cm of concrete should be 240 Kg/m2. You could go for 7.5 cms, or even 5 cms of concrete with an appropriate air gap, to keep the MAM resonance below the audible bandwidth...

this is a random answer to a random question. the devil is in the details.
Old 30th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Floating floors

Thanks for your input.
This building is constructed from the ground up so now is the chance to get things right within resonable budget. So many options doesn´t make things easier and then i´m not getting into interior acoustics yet! /Toby
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…