Quantcast
Need some advice on a "refrigerator" dampener - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Need some advice on a "refrigerator" dampener
Old 20th January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Need some advice on a "refrigerator" dampener

I live in a loft. It's a really nice big open space with a lot of hard surfaces (Pergo floor, 71' x 12' concrete wall, lofted ceilings, etcetera. Everything is groovy but it's one room so there is a refrigerator that hums. By far the loudest ambient noise in the room. Any advice on building some sort of structure to muffle it while I'm recording? For the record, my goal is to record acoustic guitar and vocals.
Here's a photo of the fridge, as you can see it is enclosed in cabinetry.

Would a piano blanket hung over it do the trick? I don't do long sessions so it heating up is not a concern for me.

tia

AS
Old 20th January 2013
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna Stoic ➑️
I live in a loft. It's a really nice big open space with a lot of hard surfaces (Pergo floor, 71' x 12' concrete wall, lofted ceilings, etcetera. Everything is groovy but it's one room so there is a refrigerator that hums. By far the loudest ambient noise in the room. Any advice on building some sort of structure to muffle it while I'm recording? For the record, my goal is to record acoustic guitar and vocals.
Here's a photo of the fridge, as you can see it is enclosed in cabinetry.

Would a piano blanket hung over it do the trick? I don't do long sessions so it heating up is not a concern for me.

tia

AS
I had a similar issue .. I ended up just turning off the circuit at the breaker box while recording .. things would stay cold for several hours if the door was kept shut... just gotta remember to turn it back on ... same process fixed the hvac system too ..
Old 20th January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbrain ➑️
I had a similar issue .. I ended up just turning off the circuit at the breaker box while recording .. things would stay cold for several hours if the door was kept shut... just gotta remember to turn it back on ... same process fixed the hvac system too ..

Sage advice there.

-tINY

Old 20th January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
But wait - that's too easy.

I'm in.

AS
Old 20th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Turning it off is a great solution, it would be very difficult to isolate it. You would need lots of mass, heavy, thick panels fully enclosing it. Something like an exterior door shutting it in, not practical.

So you don't forget to turn it back on, you could set one of these for the period of time you want it to be quiet each time

Old 20th January 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Lightbulb

Often, hum from a fridge is vibration from the unit coupling to the floor. If lifting it reduces the hum in the room, some sort of rubber isolation pad might help. Can you invite some strong friends over to experiment?

--Ethan

The Acoustic Treatment Experts
Old 21st January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Thanks for all the helpful thoughts - I'm just going to turn the damn thing off. My sessions aren't that long so it shouldn't be a problem.
As for strong friends, I have reached the age where you don't ask others to help you move, or volunteer if asked. There are some definite benefits to that.

AS
Old 21st January 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
As for strong friends, I have reached the age where you don't ask others to help you move, or volunteer if asked. There are some definite benefits to that.
Agreed.

Yes just turn it off that is really the only way to solve it.
Old 21st January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Winer ➑️
Often, hum from a fridge is vibration from the unit coupling to the floor. If lifting it reduces the hum in the room, some sort of rubber isolation pad might help. Can you invite some strong friends over to experiment?

--Ethan

That would make a gread video on your website. I'll do it for free, but you have to fly me out...

-tINY

Old 22nd January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna Stoic ➑️
Thanks for all the helpful thoughts - I'm just going to turn the damn thing off. My sessions aren't that long so it shouldn't be a problem.

AS
Do yourself a favor... I bought a couple of belkin "wemo" devices from costco, not sure they are still there. Anyway, very simple setup, and then you can use your cell phone to turn anything on or off that uses a normal outlet... or you can set up a timer if you'd like.

WeMo | Belkin USA Site
Old 22nd January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by tINY ➑️
I'll do it for free, but you have to fly me out.
As soon as I win the lottery. Though I'll warn you, I have never bought a lottery ticket in my life. :D

--Ethan
Old 23rd January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Winer ➑️

--Ethan

Wah! I agree! A bunch of these could do the job. Or it could be some airborne mechanical noise, and isolating it would make no difference. life is a female dog.

I agree with tINY... Rogerbrain has given sagely advice. #yoda

This is a bit unnecessary as you have decided to take #yoda's advice, but if the noise turns out to be air borne, it would be the perfect opportunity to try aural sonic. Do not take the simple solution. Suffer! In suffering lies redemption!
Old 24th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Noise issues with refrigerators is due to the condenser fan, ice machine and compressor valves, which is hermetically sealed and the compartment is likely heavily insulated.
Isolating it from the floor will not help much and any type of soundproofing material could restrict airflow to the condenser fan, causing it to overheat and result in major damage.
Turning it off is a safe bet.
Old 27th January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Turned it off. Works perfectly, even retains all the settings (clock, etc.)

I have a thornier problem now:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/bass-...ml#post8678662

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiothings ➑️
In suffering lies redemption!
I have a feeling this is my opportunity to be redeemed.

AS
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…