Quantcast
Do bass traps 'contain' the bass? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Do bass traps 'contain' the bass?
Old 19th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Do bass traps 'contain' the bass?

Do bass traps have the ability to contain the bass inside an untreated room so that a noticeable amount of bass that is escaping out of the room be significantly attenuated from the bass heard in an adjacent room?

I'm interested in buying bass traps to solve this acoustic problem but want to be sure this will do the job.
Old 19th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
It'll do a lil but not much
Old 19th January 2013
Village Idiot

🎧 15 years
You are talking about soundproofing - basstraps will make no real difference (maybe a slight theoretical one, but meh....).

Gustav
_______
Build your own gear
Old 19th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
They mainly control reflections, not what passes through the walls.
Old 19th January 2013
Gear Guru

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
They work by converting air motion energy into heat energy.

In order for a trap to function as soundproofing, it would have to be shoved up directly against the speaker and convert all of the low freq air motion energy from the driver into heat. The people in the next room wouldn't hear bass, but neither would you, in the room. Might save a few pennies on your heating bill
Old 19th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The really good ones will trap the bass frequencies. I like to shake mine out every couple of weeks to release them. (hate that sound they make.)
Old 19th January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentvangogo ➑️
The really good ones will trap the bass frequencies. I like to shake mine out every couple of weeks to release them. (hate that sound they make.)
But sometimes it's good to save it for later, in case your mix needs a little oomph. Then you stick a mic inside in omni and sample those beefy frequencies
Old 20th January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth3si ➑️
Do bass traps have the ability to contain the bass inside an untreated room so that a noticeable amount of bass that is escaping out of the room be significantly attenuated from the bass heard in an adjacent room?

I'm interested in buying bass traps to solve this acoustic problem but want to be sure this will do the job.
Traps' tuning and placement aim to reducing standing waves inside the room. Standing waves' frequencies depend on room geometry. In general the frequencies that escape a room are superset of the limited set of that room's standing waves.

Bottom line: you may reduce something by chance but don't have any control over the whole process (by using just traps).
Old 20th January 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
they aren't going to make your neighbors any happier about what you are doing, if that's what you are asking

great for the sound in the room, though

true soundproofing is hard, expensive and takes up space - and if you don't do a complete job of it, if you 'miss a spot', you might as well have done nothing.
Old 20th January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
be very careful not to drop them, you could end up releasing half a month's worth of bass all at once!
Old 20th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq ➑️
be very careful not to drop them, you could end up releasing half a month's worth of bass all at once!
You don't want that. I once had a week's worth land on my foot. 'Hertz' doesn't begin to describe it.
Old 21st January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Guru

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
'Hertz' doesn't begin to describe it.
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Reminds me of Carlin talking about knocking farts out of the truck's seat with a baseball bat...
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
You don't want that. I once had a week's worth land on my foot. 'Hertz' doesn't begin to describe it.

NICE!
Old 24th January 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
they aren't going to make your neighbors any happier about what you are doing, if that's what you are asking

great for the sound in the room, though

true soundproofing is hard, expensive and takes up space - and if you don't do a complete job of it, if you 'miss a spot', you might as well have done nothing.
Lol I was hoping it would, the neighbors just started to complain about it. :/

I know i'm bumping this thread, but this thread really explained alot. haha
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…