9 feet wide
21 feet long
14 foot ceilings

recording upright piano

two large oak dressers at one of the 9 foot wide walls
one mattress at one of the 21 foot walls

throw rug under piano and in center of room

piano sits perpendicular to dressers on a long wall

wondering whether it is worth treating a room like this. i was thinking about getting some rockwool boards and making some absorbers but wanted to check in here first.

thanks
Old 19th September 2012
Lives for gear

16 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Are you mixing and recording, or are you just recording in this room?

How does the room sound to you as is?
Old 19th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
no mixing

just recording piano, nothing fancy

the room sounds a little boxy but not terrible.

at low volume the piano sound pretty good, at higher volume it gets to be too much. maybe i need some broadband traps.

seems to change a lot with the weather. the hammers and soundboard must swell up with humidity and then the sound gets much more bassy.

close micing sounds very good considering the circumstances. i'm just trying to figure out if i can get any room to sound good
Old 19th September 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
the room sounds a little boxy but not terrible.
Typical of a untreated room. Yes it is worth treating. If nothing else I would bass trap a few corners and put panels on walls and above the piano.
Old 20th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
thanks

on the wall where the giant dressers are, there is only about 10 inches space in the corner. is this not enough for a bass trap?

and roughly how many panels do you think i should use?
Old 20th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by hombre ➑️
on the wall where the giant dressers are, there is only about 10 inches space in the corner. is this not enough for a bass trap?

and roughly how many panels do you think i should use?
10" is pretty small. Are the dressers moveable somewhat?

Also, don't forget there are 12 corners in a room - not just four. The wall-to-ceiling corners are usually helpful to hit with treatment, and are out of the way.

As for a number of panels, it depends on how thick they are and how many you actually need. If you have hard flooring for example, you will likely need some treatment on the ceiling. Usually, as a minimum, hitting four corners floor to ceiling and getting direct reflections that could go into the mic absorbed would be a good start.

Considering you are recording piano, you won't likely need massive absorbers that absorb at 40 Hz. I would treat above and to the sides of the piano, and perhaps behind the microphone so that reflections aren't getting back into the mic.
Old 2nd October 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
thanks for the info. i'll start with 4 broad band absorbers and see if that does anything.

one more question...

are there any negatives to having an upright piano right up against a wall?
not that there is a whole lot of space, but maybe moving it away from the wall would help?
Old 3rd October 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse ➑️
thanks for the info. i'll start with 4 broad band absorbers and see if that does anything.

one more question...

are there any negatives to having an upright piano right up against a wall?
not that there is a whole lot of space, but maybe moving it away from the wall would help?
It might and it might not. Best bet would be to try it and see, though that can get annoying with a piano rather quickly I'm sure. You could avoid any boundary interference by placing an absorber between the piano and the wall.

By the way, 4 absorbers would definitely do some work but I would certainly suggest at least hammering out a couple more if its possible.
Old 3rd October 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
The thin soundboard made out of spruce is on the back of the piano.

it is a good idea to experiment with placement, also try rotating the piano.
Old 3rd October 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
originally i had the lid open and leaning against the wall so it sort of trapped any sound from coming out the top/back of the piano, and it sounded decent.

i took the top off and now things got boomy.

but i think this is a case of a necessary worse before better

more sound making the room sound worse, but once i treat it i think things will be better than it was originally.

unfortunately this sucker is not on wheels so moving it is going to be difficult.

from playing position it sounds much better than just 1-2 feet closer, nearer to the strings i'll refrain from wasting people's time here until i treat the room...
Old 4th October 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
the local insulation supply uses knauf nobasil products...

Stonewool | Knauf Insulation Slovakia

they have mpn, ptn and fkd.

which one would be appropriate to make some diy traps?

also they only have the ptn in 5cm thickness, roughly 2 inches, and i was thinking of making 4 inch thick traps, doubling up on the 5cm's would get sort of expensive.

so i guess it's just a matter of how rigid the boards need to be. the supplier told me that one of them is used for foundations and is waterproof, maybe that's overkill.
Old 5th October 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
bump- could use some advice on selecting the correct mineral wool...
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…