Quantcast
Can I build two Superchunks that are slightly different in sizes? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Can I build two Superchunks that are slightly different in sizes?
Old 19th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Can I build two Superchunks that are slightly different in sizes?

I'm getting ready to build some superchunks for my 12' x 16' room. There's a window on one of the 12' walls, but I just found out that the window is slightly off center where one wall to the window is 2' 1 1/2" while the other wall to the window is only 2'. I would like to leave about 1" from the window frame to the edges of the superchunks for the curtain rod.

I've often read here that symmetry is important, but would it make a big difference acoustically if I make the superchunks slightly deferent in sizes? Like one of them with 24" sides and the other with 22.5" sides? or should I make them exactly the same size? If possible I'd like to leave even amount of space on either side of the window so it doesn't look lopsided.

Thanks,
Keith
Old 19th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I assume the Window is the front of the studio. In your case I believe that the difference of less than 2" is too small to make a huge impact in the acoustics of your room. Keep in mind that the offcenter window already introduces (very very little) asymmetry.

Worst case you always could make both super-chunks 22.5". Me personally would make both of them the same size, not because of acoustics. It is just simpler to build more of the same. Your plan does make sense too.

Keep in mind these traps don't have to be equal sided triangles. If you cut them into 22.5" x 24", you will have less cutoff, and you are able to use the same triangles for the right and the left corner. It does not have to be triangles as well. Square super-chunks will work too. Just a few pointers for additional ideas...
Old 19th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Thank you, seen-da-sizer, for your response.

Yup, the window side will be the front of the studio although I had it differently before.
Just as you mentioned, I was concerned about keeping the superchunks as large as possible, at the same time not having to make different size/shape triangles for the different traps. So now I'm thinking I might try the 22.5" x 24".

Thanks again for your input!

Keith
Old 19th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwow ➡️
Thank you, seen-da-sizer, for your response.

Yup, the window side will be the front of the studio although I had it differently before.
Just as you mentioned, I was concerned about keeping the superchunks as large as possible, at the same time not having to make different size/shape triangles for the different traps. So now I'm thinking I might try the 22.5" x 24".

Thanks again for your input!

Keith
You're welcome. Just make the superchunks bigger in the back. Also think of ways to cover the ceiling-wall corners as well. You do have a good size room. Mine is only half of yours.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…