build a VPR bass trap.uk - Page 8 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
build a VPR bass trap.uk
Old 18th November 2013 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Effcient

dapost, sorry I meant to ask what thickness, but a repair guy appeared for the phone/broadband. 2.5m VPR's do have some action at 38Hz as you can see.
But it would take a lot of surface area to do any real work. Are they in the right place? i.e. on one of the two boundaries sustaining the 38Hz, and to help, at the floor corner?
EDIT, looking at your diagram, I suggest changing those straddlers to flat to the wall and moving the speakers forward to almost touching them. This may help with the 38Hz and add some broad LF, punch.

DD
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
for me also the 2mm did not work <40hz
for this low fq i prefer helmholtz much more and for 38hz it isn´t that big
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Mastering ➡️
I beg to differ,
on the opposite, vpr changed my room from bad to very good
although there are many of them, 6 large ones (2000x1000mm x 100mm)
and 24 smaller ones (although a bit different materials)
plus 3 bass traps 800x800mmx400mm also with steel plates
and 14 'ordinary' 1200x600mm 100mm rockwool filled broadband traps
yes, that's a lot, but you cannot expect to even a problematic room with 6-10 panels, you need a lot of them and a lot of measuring and 'dancing' with panels from left to right
Maybe you are right that you hear changes, not question that, but isin't because you putting in absorbtion(Isobond/dacron) that you hear the difference. You say, needs lot's of them, how much??

If I put on every walls, cailing, floor and still have poor result, now what next, tear them down and start all over again and installed them with more glue, changing thickness of the steelplate and so on.... I really don't think it will work.

Those meausrement that has been provided so far has not impressed me.

It would be nice if measurement is presented from your room.
Old 19th November 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dapost ➡️
Well, 3 of my 5 VPRs use 2.5mm steel, so, yes, I was expecting more in the sub 50Hz region. My main goal is to improve the ca 50Hz suck-out, the actual 38Hz mode is less of a concern to me because it can be tackled with PEQ. At the moment my room has no kick drum punch. Any suggestions to improve this are welcome.

P.s. I will post a clean mdat file asap.
Move your kick from insanely low frequencies to around 80-120Hz.
This has the benefit of translating to more systems too (as not as many consumer systems have woofers)

That said, what is the size of your room? it may not even fully support such low frequencies.
Old 19th November 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
4.8m length x 4.7m width x variable height (2.3m to 3.3m).
Old 10th June 2014 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Hi

you have received a great help and assistance to build your VPR panels. I think it would be fair to present the after measurements to the these helpful people and for those who wants to learn from your project. Its a fail on your behalf to payback who helped you.
Old 3rd April 2018 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Mastering ➡️
I beg to differ,
on the opposite, vpr changed my room from bad to very good
although there are many of them, 6 large ones (2000x1000mm x 100mm)
and 24 smaller ones (although a bit different materials)
plus 3 bass traps 800x800mmx400mm also with steel plates
and 14 'ordinary' 1200x600mm 100mm rockwool filled broadband traps
yes, that's a lot, but you cannot expect to even a problematic room with 6-10 panels, you need a lot of them and a lot of measuring and 'dancing' with panels from left to right
While thats a great answer on paper - not everyone here might be so trusting of your word.

Like someone has already mentioned - it would be great if you would, as a result of your success, post the actual measurements of the room after the panels have been made.

Maybe the results arent that good and you dont feel like sharing them? Maybe you dont want potential customers to see that your mastering room isnt as good as they would want it to be? Maybe youre just lazy or dont care after youve got proper help..?

Whatever the case - it would be nice of you to provide some feedback with exact results since the hardcore acousticians here chimed into your thread with their expertise and knowledge

This forum, like many others, are after all freesource material for everyone to use and grow So its kind of selfish of you to be so late. ANd being late 5 years is quite late on everyones schedule, isnt it?

But regardless of that - I have a question. After reading the thread, I have assumed that the actual placing of the panel as described in the original patent (firmly against the wall) is not as crucial, correct?

My idea is - I attached this type of panels to fix it to a wooden stud framework of an inner leaf of a production room. What I mean is:
Theres a room within a room design. The framework is made out of 50x100 mm (2" by 4") pine studs. The walls are 18 mm MDF + 15 mm gypsum+ boards. The framework is filled with insulation and an acoustically transparent cloth is added over it. I want to add the VPR panels above the cloth and insulation, fixed with brackets on the framework (this gives around 100mm/4" distance from the wall). Is that placement okay or maybe even prefferable?

Thank you.
Old 3rd April 2018 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Hard

VPRs are Pressure devices. They would work best close to a hard massive boundary. Your stud wall seems fairly substantial, but hardly compared to bricks or concrete. This is a case where VPRs may disappoint due to non optimum location.
DD
Old 5th April 2018 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDan ➡️
VPRs are Pressure devices. They would work best close to a hard massive boundary. Your stud wall seems fairly substantial, but hardly compared to bricks or concrete. This is a case where VPRs may disappoint due to non optimum location.
DD
Thanks you for your insight, Dan. I thought of that exactly. Just wanted to make sure I understand how these things work and maybe Jens or GE have tested them in some other placement and found decent results.

Greath thread nonetheless.
Old 5th April 2018 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Working

I have kept an eye on VPR activity here for a long time.
Overall my sense is that they work way more often than not. I am fairly sure the type of foam and even attachment is not critical. Gernot has published lots of info, including tested positions if I remember right. Clearly the results are best when there is a distinct problem, or combination of them.
As in Corners. Perforated Panel with Porous Absorber trap
DD
Old 9th April 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Setups-Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDan ➡️
... Gernot has published lots of info, including tested positions if I remember right. ...
I've posted all the tested setups (A-Z) as a video.
Old 9th April 2018 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Saved

Thank you. Bookmarked now.
DD
📝 Reply