The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sticky with links?
Old 3rd February 2011

🎧 10 years
Sticky with links? (Development/Discussion Thread)

Hey all,

I'm gonna feel really stupid if this already exists, but here goes anyway.

Can someone make a sticky thread compiling all the excellent and informative links that are constantly reposted by the experts in this forum? Maybe organized in such a way to further discourage the daily posting of "how do I do this" followed by "try reading this article first"?

I know I've been guilty of asking a simple question that could have easily been solved had I recognized the problem and read up on it (usually on the articles posted in every other thread )

It'd be great if there was just one thread, front and center in the forum, that said "Diffusers? Try reading x, y, z. Absorbers? Try here, here, here. Modes and calculators? Have you seen this, this, or this? Looking for more? Go to Amazon/your library and get these books."

There's so much information that's been generously posted here. Why not pool it in one place so it's even easier to find (for us clueless people), and less stressful/annoying for the people who have to keep reposting it.

I dunno, just a thought
Old 3rd February 2011
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
You've just volunteered

Old 3rd February 2011 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
If you build it, they will come.

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulP ➑️
You've just volunteered

Haha I don't mind as long as the original authors of said articles don't mind me compiling their stuff (dunno why they would, but ya never know).

Too bad we can't make a communal post where people can add/correct easily. Then again, we'd end up with an early version of Wikipedia, wouldn't we? "Absorbers are... '1" Auralex eggcrate foam'. It works perfectly everytime in every room!"... yeahh, maybe that's not such a great idea
SAC

🎧 10 years
You might want to start by 'encouraging' thread owners to accurately title threads!!!!!

And then to keep them focused and to start new appropriately titled threads as the subjects evolve to deal with associated issues.
Old 3rd February 2011
Gear Guru

🎧 20 years
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torea ➑️
Can someone make a sticky thread compiling all the excellent and informative links that are constantly reposted by the experts in this forum? Maybe organized in such a way to further discourage the daily posting of "how do I do this" followed by "try reading this article first"?
Great idea. I get very tires answering the same Acoustics 101 questions every day.

--Ethan

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Winer ➑️
Great idea. I get very tires answering the same Acoustics 101 questions every day.

I sure don't mind, and there are dozens of educational articles and videos on my company's web site.

--Ethan

Didn't think you'd mind . I see you and Glenn Kuras post the same links all the time

I'll organize the links and post it here first to make sure there isn't a fatal flaw. Then, I guess make a separate thread so it's the first post? I dunno how these things work... =D
Old 4th February 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
You were probably intending to do this, but please include the sources for the links or info.
Old 15th March 2011 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
Ugh

Seems I got caught up in other things and completely forgot about this task. I'll post a bit of a draft tonight.

Also, anyone who has helpful links, please bring them to my attention so I don't leave anything out.

🎧 10 years
Draft before I post

Hey all,

This is my draft of my (hopeful) sticky thread. It has a lot of stuff and I put numbers and letters in, so if someone asks, you can just say "look at the sticky, 4b..." or whatever. I feel like it's a bit thin in some places, I thought I had more bookmarks but I can't seem to find them (most of what I have is from RealTraps). Please reply with any good links that I left out, or if I misplaced something.

Once it's not missing anything essential, I'll post it as a separate thread and see if it can made into a sticky. Hopefully that'll save some of the headache of reposting all the same old links

1) General Info
a) A bit of everything - RealTraps - Acoustic Basics
b) A lot on absorption, a good read - Acoustic Treatment and Design for Recording Studios and Listening Rooms
c) Another good primer read - GIK Acoustics presents Acoustics Primer: Some Basics on Acoustics.
d) A handful of videos on acoustics - RealTraps - Videos

2) Room Set-Up/Testing
Set-up
a) An article on set-up - RealTraps - How To Set Up a Room
b) An starting place on how to orientate/place traps GIK Acoustics: Room Setup
c) Monitor set-up - Monitor Positioning. GIK Acoustics Articles and Newsletters
Testing
d) Dandan's Primer Thread - https://gearspace.com/board/studio-b...er-v2-1-a.html
e) Ethan's Primer - RealTraps - Room Measuring Series
f) Ethan's Mic Test - RealTraps - Measuring Microphones
g) Room EQ Wizard (REW) - REW - Room EQ Wizard Home Page
h) FuzzMeasure (FM) - FuzzMeasure Pro 3

3) Absorption Info
Articles
a) Reflection Free Zone - RealTraps - Creating a Reflection-Free Zone
b) Absorption part from 1b - Acoustic Treatment and Design for Recording Studios and Listening Rooms
c) Glenn's "How Bass Traps Work" - How Bass Traps Work. GIK Acoustics Articles and Newsletters.

4) Diffusion Info
Articles
a) GIK Acoustics presents "How Diffusion Works!"
b) QRD diffusers: Technical Overview

Videos
c) RealTraps - All About Diffusion

5) How-Tos/Calculators
Calculators
a) jhbrandt's webpage, calculators for modes, QRDs, absorption, first reflection, and more - JH Brandt - Recording Studio Design/Consulting - Publications
b) QRDude QRD calculator - QRDude: Quadratic Residue Diffuser calculator
c) Online QRD calculator for people who can't use QRDude - QRD Diffuser Well Depth Calculator
d) Skyline setup - PME Records QRD Diffusor Construction
e) Sorry, I forgot where I heard about this place, it has lots though - mh-audio.nl - AcousticCalculator

6) Suggested Reading
a) by Rod Gervais - Amazon.com: Home Recording Studio: Build It Like the Pros (9781435457171): Rod (Rod Gervais) Gervais: Books
b) by F. Alton Everest - Amazon.com: Master Handbook of Acoustics (9780071360975): F. Alton Everest: Books
c) by D'Antonio/Cox - Amazon.com: Acoustic Absorbers and Diffusers: Theory, Design and Application (9780415471749): Trevor J. Cox, Peter D'Antonio: Books
Gear Guru

🎧 20 years
Lightbulb

That all looks great and should definitely be a sticky. I'm getting tired of answering the same Newbie 101 questions every day. heh

--Ethan

🎧 10 years
great job OP.
I dont understand for the life of me why the hell we dont have a sticky like this yet.

When I came to the forums, I had no idea about acoustic treatment. I was a gearslutz member, but i stayed away from these sections all the time. One day I ventured in and understood the need for sound treatment, but it was hard to jump on. I just had to start reading somewhere, and eventualy it all fit in.

i think with this sticky, it will be easier for people to learn
Old 16th March 2011 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by perplex ➑️
great job OP.
I dont understand for the life of me why the hell we dont have a sticky like this yet.

When I came to the forums, I had no idea about acoustic treatment. I was a gearslutz member, but i stayed away from these sections all the time. One day I ventured in and understood the need for sound treatment, but it was hard to jump on. I just had to start reading somewhere, and eventualy it all fit in.

i think with this sticky, it will be easier for people to learn

Exactly my idea behind it. Plus it'll decrease the chances that one of the typical link-posters (like Ethan and Glenn) go crazy with the repetitious posting of links =D

Ethan, I'll add your new links in there, thanks for giving more
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
That all looks great and should definitely be a sticky. I'm getting tired of answering the same Newbie 101 questions every day. heh

Since much of this forum is about DIY, you might add a link somewhere to my Density Report.

Under Absorption Info you could add my article Test Methods for Acoustic Treatment Products.

Under Calculators you could add Graphical Mode Calculator and Frequency-Distance Calculator and Surface Reflectivity.

--Ethan
I will go through your website to make sure you did not miss any of your links. hehheh

Quote:
Hey all,

This is my draft of my (hopeful) sticky thread. It has a lot of stuff and I put numbers and letters in, so if someone asks, you can just say "look at the sticky, 4b..." or whatever. I feel like it's a bit thin in some places, I thought I had more bookmarks but I can't seem to find them (most of what I have is from RealTraps). Please reply with any good links that I left out, or if I misplaced something.

Once it's not missing anything essential, I'll post it as a separate thread and see if it can made into a sticky. Hopefully that'll save some of the headache of reposting all the same old links

1) General Info
b) A lot on absorption, a good read - Acoustic Treatment and Design for Recording Studios and Listening Rooms
c) Another good primer read - GIK Acoustics presents Acoustics Primer: Some Basics on Acoustics.

2) Room Set-Up/Testing
Set-up
Testing
d) Dandan's Primer Thread - https://gearspace.com/board/studi...er-v2-1-a.html
e) Ethan's Primer - RealTraps - Room Measuring Series
f) Ethan's Mic Test - RealTraps - Measuring Microphones
g) Room EQ Wizard (REW) - REW - Room EQ Wizard Home Page
h) FuzzMeasure (FM) - FuzzMeasure Pro 3

3) Absorption Info
Articles
b) Absorption part from 1b - Acoustic Treatment and Design for Recording Studios and Listening Rooms
c) Glenn's "How Bass Traps Work" - How Bass Traps Work. GIK Acoustics Articles and Newsletters.

4) Diffusion Info
Articles

Videos

5) How-Tos/Calculators
Calculators
a) jhbrandt's webpage, calculators for modes, QRDs, absorption, first reflection, and more - JH Brandt - Recording Studio Design/Consulting - Publications
c) Online QRD calculator for people who can't use QRDude - QRD Diffuser Well Depth Calculator
e) Sorry, I forgot where I heard about this place, it has lots though - mh-audio.nl - AcousticCalculator

6) Suggested Reading
a) by Rod Gervais - Amazon.com: Home Recording Studio: Build It Like the Pros (9781435457171): Rod (Rod Gervais) Gervais: Books
b) by F. Alton Everest - Amazon.com: Master Handbook of Acoustics (9780071360975): F. Alton Everest: Books
c) by D'Antonio/Cox - Amazon.com: Acoustic Absorbers and Diffusers: Theory, Design and Application (9780415471749): Trevor J. Cox, Peter D'Antonio: Books
Great research on the links!!

🎧 10 years
Ok, I think I got all that I have, last chance to add or correct before I post it heh

1) General Info
e) On room modes, also has a calculator for Windows users - RealTraps - ModeCalc

2) Room Set-Up/Testing
Set-up
d) More on trap placement - RealTraps - Placing RealTraps
Testing
e) Dandan's Primer Thread - https://gearspace.com/board/studio-b...er-v2-1-a.html
f) Ethan's Primer - RealTraps - Room Measuring Series
g) Alternative Testing Methods - RealTraps - Alternative Test Methods
h) Ethan's Mic Test - RealTraps - Measuring Microphones
i) Room EQ Wizard (REW) - REW - Room EQ Wizard Home Page
j) FuzzMeasure (FM) - FuzzMeasure Pro 3

3) Absorption Info
Articles

4) Diffusion Info
Articles

Videos

5) How-Tos/Calculators
Calculators
a) Google Sketchup, an excellent tool for creating 3D models - Google SketchUp
a1) Google Sketchup Help - Google sketchup questions and trouble shooting. How can I help?
b) jhbrandt's webpage, calculators for modes, QRDs, absorption, first reflection, and more - JH Brandt - Recording Studio Design/Consulting - Publications
c) QRDude QRD calculator - QRDude: Quadratic Residue Diffuser calculator
d) Online QRD calculator for people who can't use QRDude - QRD Diffuser Well Depth Calculator
e) Skyline setup - PME Records QRD Diffusor Construction
f) Sorry, I forgot where I heard about this place, it has lots though - mh-audio.nl - AcousticCalculator

6) Stuff on Fiberglass
a) From Ethan on density (with measurements!) - Rigid fiberglass density tests
b) Bob Gold's Absorption Coefficients, to find similar insulation products - http://www.bobgolds.com/AbsorptionCoefficients.htm
c) For fluffy fiberglass, a quote from Andre (avare) - https://gearspace.com/board/6232561-post16.html

7) Suggested Reading
Gear Guru

🎧 20 years
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Kuras ➑️
I will go through your website to make sure you did not miss any of your links. hehheh
He who writes the most gets quoted the most.

--Ethan
Old 17th March 2011 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torea ➑️
Ok, I think I got all that I have, last chance to add or correct before I post it heh

1) General Info
e) On room modes, also has a calculator for Windows users - RealTraps - ModeCalc

2) Room Set-Up/Testing
Set-up
d) More on trap placement - RealTraps - Placing RealTraps
Testing
e) Dandan's Primer Thread - https://gearspace.com/board/studio-b...er-v2-1-a.html
f) Ethan's Primer - RealTraps - Room Measuring Series
g) Alternative Testing Methods - RealTraps - Alternative Test Methods
h) Ethan's Mic Test - RealTraps - Measuring Microphones
i) Room EQ Wizard (REW) - REW - Room EQ Wizard Home Page
j) FuzzMeasure (FM) - FuzzMeasure Pro 3

3) Absorption Info
Articles

4) Diffusion Info
Articles

Videos

5) How-Tos/Calculators
Calculators

6) Stuff on Fiberglass
a) From Ethan on density (with measurements!) - Rigid fiberglass density tests
b) Bob Gold's Absorption Coefficients, to find similar insulation products - http://www.bobgolds.com/AbsorptionCoefficients.htm
c) For fluffy fiberglass, a quote from Andre (avare) - https://gearspace.com/board/6232561-post16.html

7) Suggested Reading
MORE GOOD STUFF!!!!

Quote:
He who writes the most gets quoted the most.

--Ethan
thumbsupthumbsup
Still have not had a chance but will make sure all of your links are here!
Old 17th March 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
There are good links in that, especially the books. A lot of the others are frequently misleading people towards methodologies that then do not really work for them in the end. You see that happening in a lot of cases.

Especially everything that is based on Ethan Winer's density report is to be digested with caution (not that the tests themselves are wrong but the analysis and conclusions most people get out of it are way too coarse).
Old 18th March 2011 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 20 years
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannes_F ➑️
not that the tests themselves are wrong but the analysis and conclusions most people get out of it are way too coarse.
Agreed, and small differences are just that. The same applies for "mass absorption data" such as on the Bob Golds site. It's great that Bob made that page! But people read too much into small differences. Not just that the small differences are small, but the margin of error between products is typically much larger than the differences in absorption. Especially at low frequencies.

--Ethan
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
These are the book marks on my toolbar:

BBC homepage:

BBC - R&D - Publications - RD Reports from 1991

Whealy's porous absorber calc:

Porous Absorber Calculator V1.58

An article on the history of control room design (may not be "timeline correct" but a good read regardless):

http://www.madebydelta.com/imported/...s/av126205.pdf

RPG paper on RFZ control rooms:

http://www.rpginc.com/news/library/T...ffCritList.pdf

Bob Gold's absorption coefficients:

http://www.bobgolds.com/AbsorptionCoefficients.htm

QRDude diffusion calc:

QRDude: Quadratic Residue Diffuser calculator
Gear Guru

🎧 20 years
Lightbulb

I have another suggestion for this Sticky that might seem self-serving, but I believe it's good advice anyway.

Some people are good with DIY, are glad to get their hands dirty, and love to learn. Others don't care about theory and just want a quick solution. The latter are not willing to read all the links in a sticky post, and they just want us to tell them specifically what to do for their room. Even if their room is just like 350 other rooms the acoustics experts here have already helped treat.

I think it's reasonable to put near the top of the sticky something like this:
This is a self-help forum. We will give you links to all the information you could possibly need, and then some. And when questions arise we'll gladly answer in detail. But few of the experts here have the time or energy to design your room for you, or provide one-on-one personal consulting for free. If you prefer to be handed a solution rather than spend the 5-20 hours needed to learn what's most appropriate for your specific room, you should consider hiring one of the acoustic consultants who post here often. Or rather than DIY your treatment, buy from a knowledgeable treatment vendor. Many treatment companies offer free placement advice, and often other acoustics advice, for free as part of the purchase of their products.
I'm sure someone else can re-write the above better and sound nicer. But I hope y'all agree that the basic sentiment is valid.

--Ethan
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Please include a distinction to whether or not a particular bit of info is control room specific.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
"5-20" hours. That's rich.

Going on 3 years now.
Gear Guru

🎧 20 years
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndykstra ➑️
Please include a distinction to whether or not a particular bit of info is control room specific.
Excellent point. They should state that they're asking about one of the following:

* It's a control room
* It's a live room
* It's a combo room for both mixing and recording

--Ethan
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Almost forgot the most important link:

Google SketchUp

And this thread:

Google sketchup questions and trouble shooting. How can I help?

sketchup is in my wheel house if anything is
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Glossary of commonly used abbreviations.

Some sort of article on the fundamental difference between sound isolation and inner room acoustics. Include a list of criteria needed to determine proper isolation requirements.

Oh, and good on you for spear heading such an animal. With proper editing of the initial post, as more ideas surface, this could turn into an incredible tool. I would suggest that this thread remain active for debating the ins and outs of the "true" thread, to keep it from being bogged down with arguemental behavior.

🎧 10 years
Quote:
This is a self-help forum. We will give you links to all the information you could possibly need, and then some. And when questions arise we'll gladly answer in detail. But few of the experts here have the time or energy to design your room for you, or provide one-on-one personal consulting for free. If you prefer to be handed a solution rather than spend the 5-20 hours needed to learn what's most appropriate for your specific room, you should consider hiring one of the acoustic consultants who post here often. Or rather than DIY your treatment, buy from a knowledgeable treatment vendor. Many treatment companies offer free placement advice, and often other acoustics advice, for free as part of the purchase of their products.
I'm sure someone else can re-write the above better and sound nicer. But I hope y'all agree that the basic sentiment is valid.

--Ethan

A good point, I was definitely planning on noting that these links will give you tons of info, but you have to be willing to read them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndykstra ➑️
Glossary of commonly used abbreviations.

Some sort of article on the fundamental difference between sound isolation and inner room acoustics. Include a list of criteria needed to determine proper isolation requirements.

Oh, and good on you for spear heading such an animal. With proper editing of the initial post, as more ideas surface, this could turn into an incredible tool. I would suggest that this thread remain active for debating the ins and outs of the "true" thread, to keep it from being bogged down with arguemental behavior.

Thanks for the Sketchup tip! I never got around to learning it so I totally forgot about it.

A Glossary would be a great idea, although I don't know if I'm the one to make it, I still have trouble remembering all the abbreviations. I was reading a thread and looking at "LEDE" and thinking "huh? Loud end... deep end?" It wasn't until I was trying to fall asleep that night that I slapped myself across the face for forgetting Live End Dead End .

Maybe it should be broken apart a bit. The first part would have all the basic stuff (room setup, bare essentials on trapping, why Auralex isn't magic fixer-fairy dust, etc.) for people looking for the quick fix. That way the simple stuff would be right there, front and center. Then the second part could expand, moving into more advanced stuff. If that is how it should be, where should the line be drawn?

I'm trying to organize it so it isn't so mind boggling that it turns people away, but at the same time goes deep enough that it has content for the people looking for more.

What do you all think?

Thanks for the help =D
Old 20th March 2011 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 20 years
Lightbulb

A few more suggestions:

1) Posters, PLEASE tell us the size of the room(s) you're asking for advice on. It doesn't have to be accurate to 1/4 inch, but at least within half a foot or so. American or Metric is fine.

2) Be sure to say where you are located, because the availability of acoustically useful material varies around the world. Ideally your location will be in your forum profile, so it appears every time you post as a reminder to us. Otherwise, at least state your location in your first post.

3) Please do NOT post enormous photos. Pictures should be 600-800 pixels wide at most. Viewing posts with huge photos is difficult and a nuisance.

4) Speaking of photos, the best photos are distant shots that show the entire room in context. Close-up photos are not useful. Stand outside the door if you have to. We need to see where the mix position is in the room, where your speakers are placed, what's on the side and rear walls, where the doors are, and so forth. The fewer photos needed to show all of that, the easier and faster it is for us to help you.

--Ethan
Old 21st March 2011 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I think that is said pretty darn well. I myself get a lot of PMs from people asking questions about DIY design instead of starting a thread. It is not that I don't want to help people build there products, but think these kinds of questions should stay on the board so others can learn from them. Also if I helped every person instead of helping customers I would never sleep!

-Glenn
Old 23rd March 2011

🎧 10 years
I really like this idea!!!

most of the time I'm just reading and reading, and some times it's hard to find the thread that leads you to your answer, they are some times hidden in other threads with different topic

So I think a good organization is needed, not only dividing the topics by their contenent, you also need to devide the readers:
think about this, if you don't know much of acoustics and you just got here and find that there is so much to read, most people will start a new thread asking what they want to know despite it's posted or answered before

So I suggest this: stickies divided in 3 levels

Lvl 1) a quick fix for little time readers

Lvl 2) the apprentice

Lvl 3) the masterclass

And every sticky should cover with links (according to the lvl) this areas or more or other classification what ever
1) basics of acoustic and what really happens
2) how to measure properly
3) how to set up a room (with real rooms and measurements and real rooms problems and problems solved)
4) different methods and overview (say membrane, tuned, sloted, perforated,resonators,diffuser, bla bla bla)

so every level could cover an array of topics according to the real interest of the reader without the disadvantage of getting them mixed or freaked out!

Just an idea! Hope you like it
πŸ“ Reply