How i built six 4" bass traps - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How i built six 4" bass traps
Old 14th December 2009
Gear Maniac

๐ŸŽง 10 years
How i built six 4" bass traps

Hello all.
I decided to go ahead and attempt to build some bass traps for my rehearsal/recording studio.
I am from Philadelphia, PA but have moved to Los Angeles back in April of 2009 and it's very hard to get a decent space out here, you can't just have a studio in your basement, so I share my space with another band. The Space is about 225 square feet a giant rectangle with 12 ft ceiling, the walls and floor are carpet and the ceiling is drywall.

Here is some pics of the process...

Here are the 2 frames done, I used pine wood and the hardware store cut them for me. Pretty easy.

Close up the the frames I used drywall screws to hold the frames together as well as L brackets in the inside of the frame.

Each frame was drilled with 1.5" center holes scattred. There is no real pattern here I just tried to stay away from knots in the wood.

The Fiberglass. I didn't use OC 703 or Rockwool but a material called John's Manville fiberglass. It is identical to OC 703 in every way except alot cheaper. For a bundle of this it cost me 90.00 dollars. Thanks to Viking Insulation in Burbank, CA!

I planed on using FRK facing. So i bought 3m Adhesive spray about 7 dollars at LOWES. I layed the FRK face down on the ground (so the silver facing was on the ground, and layed a 2x4' piece of fiberglass on top of it, and cut the FRK with a kitchen knife. It worked well. Then I layed the FRK on top of the fiberglass to make sure it matched well and sprayed the adhesive and attached the FRK pretty simple, though I suggest do a little at a time if you would like to keep it straight!

And FRK done!

I then layed my 2" FRK face down on the fabric and a 2nd layer (no FRK) on top of it. And placed my frames over the fiberglass and stapled the back. I do reccomend covering fabric over the back as well which I end up doing later.

And.....Done!
I had to make sure the fabric was pretty tight after the 3rd trap I had a good technique of wraping the corners which were a bit tricky at first.
As far as mounting goes i used 2 eye holes screws in the back 24.5" down
and used tie wire (used for rebar). Then i drilled hooks into the wall with anchors. Pretty easy they aren't going anywhere.

Sorry for the bad pics I used my phone to take the pictures.
Go here for better and bigger pics if you would like.
Bass Trap Build pictures by christopherscottdwyer - Photobucket

Thanks feel free to critique my process for these are my first ones I have ever built!

Old 14th December 2009
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
good job thumbsup
Old 14th December 2009
Lives for gear

1 Review written
๐ŸŽง 15 years
Good job!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegatsby โžก๏ธ
Hello all.
I had to make sure the fabric was pretty tight after the 3rd trap I had a good technique of wraping the corners which were a bit tricky at first.
Out of interest, what was your prefered method of dealing with the corners exactly?
Old 14th December 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

๐ŸŽง 15 years
looks great!!
Gear Maniac

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Thumbs up

Thanks guys.

For the corners what I did was pulled the fabric tight and made like a tight triangle and stapled that to the back.
Glen. Thank you.
I actually I bought 4 of your GIK 4" traps back in 2008 when I lived in PA. But in April of 2009 we moved to LA our uhaul trailer was stolen and everything was ripped off so i lost them.
Gear Guru

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Quote:
I actually I bought 4 of your GIK 4" traps back in 2008 when I lived in PA. But in April of 2009 we moved to LA our uhaul trailer was stolen and everything was ripped off so i lost them.
I hate to hear stories like that.
๐Ÿ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…