Quantcast
equipment or more room treatment? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
equipment or more room treatment?
Old 22nd November 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
equipment or more room treatment?

I know that in audio engineering, room acoustics are far more important than equipment. Currently, I record and mix in an approx. 335 sq. ft. room with ideal dimensions, using a modest 8 bass traps situated in close proximity to my mixing position.

My mixes are much better than they used to be. Much more accurate and sound great on all systems. I still have some trouble nailing the low-mids and bass, and I intend to make more bass traps, but my question in this post is:

I have 1 mic currently - the very low budget MXL 67G. Would I be better off investing in room acoustics or first buying some decent alternative mics (from oktavamod for cheap)? I have no other experience with mics but it sure seems the MXL 67G makes my vocals sound like mud.

Your thoughts?
Old 22nd November 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
if all you currently have is bass traps..then you need 2" 1st reflection panels to tame highs and mids...bass traps alone arent going to cut it...
Old 22nd November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Proper room first.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I use the term bass trap loosely. I really have eight 4'x2'x6" owens corning 703 broadband absorption panels situated around the mixing position (2 in front wall tricorners. 2 on wall in front of me behind speakers, 2 at first reflections, and 2 immediately behind my head).

I also should say that this isn't my final resting spot, or else I would definitely install a wooden floor and a fake ceiling with 2 foot fiberglass all above it. That's not economical at this point, as I could move in a year.

So, my question really boils down to this more specific question:

Which would have more impact on my sound - additional mics, or additional broadband absorption panels, or spending money on cabling so I can situate my computers in the closet (removing a good bit of noise).

Sorry I didn't elaborate fully earlier. Should I still go with more broadband absorption. B/c I have to say, that MXL 67G is MUDDY, and it doesn't seem even eq can get it to properly cut through the mix.

Thanks!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
IT's really a matter of opinion. If your room is better than your gear, then it's time to get new gear. If your gear is better than your room, then treat the room.

That's my philosophy. It sounds like you've got a good start on room treatment. If I were you I'd start looking at better mics.

BTW, I'm a huge proponent of room treatment, so my opinion here is not clouded by any gear lust or other disrespect of room treatment.
Old 23rd November 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Definitely a difficult question. Being an acoustic addict, I'd still suggest it's time you got yourself a decent mic. Then you'll enjoy further upgrades to your room even more.
Old 23rd November 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenchijin2 ➑️
IT's really a matter of opinion. If your room is better than your gear, then it's time to get new gear. If your gear is better than your room, then treat the room.

That's my philosophy. It sounds like you've got a good start on room treatment. If I were you I'd start looking at better mics.

BTW, I'm a huge proponent of room treatment, so my opinion here is not clouded by any gear lust or other disrespect of room treatment.
+1
If your room is not sounding good then spending money on a better mic will not help as much as you still have to deal with the room.
πŸ“ Reply