Quantcast
looking to build some absorbers for my new room.... - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
looking to build some absorbers for my new room....
Old 14th November 2009
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
looking to build some absorbers for my new room....

i have a 3.6m by 9.40m room

the ceiling is made of wood

the floor is made of slate

and the walls are made of rock that is not flat...

it is a very nice sounding live room but needs some dampening to make it usable for a control room...

i already have a ghost acoustics kit that includes:

2 basstraps (corner traps)
4 blocks
1 big block
2 Edges

i will be hanging these around the room but i believe these are not enough and was looking into build in one of the walls (the backwall) a absorbing rockwool filled frame of about 2'm x 2'm and maybe also in the front wall another frame of 2.5m x 2.5m

is rockwool the best material to use? or something else?

R
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
i would put up the absorbers you have first before making more that you may not need....but, if you are going to make something before you put up the other absorbers, make bass traps....you can never get enough of those especially in a room thats really live.

in any case, yes, rockwool is fine...in fact its the only thing you can get in the UK. lots of people use it..including me.

i would make 2' 4' wall panels of 2" rockwool. since it comes that way...and you want to have first reflection stuff a bit larger than it needs to be for good measure. ( to clarify i mean bigger than you were talking about making, and when i say 2' x 4', thats in feet not meters....)
Old 14th November 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
is rockwool the best material to use? or something else?
Yes make the bass traps 4" or thicker and straddle corners. For the early reflection points (What Are Early Reflection Points. SPOTLIGHT:Bob Ebeling - Revolution Studio) you can make the panels 2" thick. See the following for layout.
GIK Acoustics: Room Setup
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…