Quantcast
for dead vox - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
for dead vox
Old 10th November 2009
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
for dead vox

I basically want the deadest sound to record vocals. I like to add reverb after...
I looked at a lot of products like real traps and the reflexion filter. But I feel like making 3 4' x 6' panels with 703 will simply do a better job of getting a dead vocal from my reflective room. Put another panel on top maybe. I need something portable...

thanks!
Old 10th November 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhouse91 ➑️
I basically want the deadest sound to record vocals. I like to add reverb after...
I looked at a lot of products like real traps and the reflexion filter. But I feel like making 3 4' x 6' panels with 703 will simply do a better job of getting a dead vocal from my reflective room. Put another panel on top maybe. I need something portable...
If your question is, "will this work", then the answer is...to some degree, yes. I'd make them 4" thick if you can, and you may or may not need more than three depending on the size of your room.

Frank
Old 10th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I made some 2x4 panels with 703. I record most of my overdubbed vocals in my house. I hang/place one of the panels right behind the mic and it does a pretty darn good job. Sometimes, I'll place some more strategically around the singer and it does a killer job. It was much cheaper than buying one of those reflection filter thingies.

Good luck!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Re-reading my post I realize that it may have sounded like I was saying that this won't work well. I think it absolutely will work well, but you *might* have to out up a little more than you have planned...probably not much though.

Frank
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
woops

I realized that I was hardly specific enough to actually get across what I plan to do...

I wasn't going to randomly put them on the corners of my room - I was going to make a triangle of sorts to surround the vocalist and then perhaps put something on top to avoid ceiling reflections.

And yes my question was whether this will work - i.e. give me close to dead (no reverb/delay) vocals.

Sounds like this is a better idea then the realtraps/se reflexion filter... so I will probably try it.

Would anyone have any recommendations as to how to connect what will be 3 rectangles of 703 that are 4' x 6'? I'm not exactly sure how I'm going to frame them but I'm trying for something light, and if I use wood I bet I could hinge them together like a door...?

Last question: Should I design it so that the "wall" facing the singer is curved to some extent rather than just a flat one?

Thanks again,
Anders
Old 11th November 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
sorry...

Okay I've done some more planning... and here is what I'm thinking now.

I will make 3 4' x 6' panels. The three panels (really 6' walls) are placed in a triangle with singer facing perpendicular towards middle side. The triangular shape should avoid standing waves no?

Each panel will have 2" of 703, a quarter inch board in-between, then 2" more of 703. This way sound will be absorbed from inside and outside... I'm thinking about stapling the 703 to the board with muslin surrounding it... Then I want an effective way to connect the three panels without making it permanent. Maybe velcro? I read somewhere someone connected gobos with velcro... If I put them in a triangular formation the velcro should be strong enough to keep them standing without adding extra support right?

How does this sound? I want to try to isolate the sound some... not just get rid of reflections/reverb.

Sorry for such long posts... it would be awesome to have some advice.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Redhouse,

Putting ply between the 2 pieces of rigid fiberglass is not going to do much for isolation. You would be better off building the frame like you are, but with 1/8" luan on the outside for shear. If you are set on using the 2" material, you can increase absorption by spacing it out from the back (luan) panel by 2" and almost get the absorption of 4" material. heh

Velcro is a great idea and has worked very well for other gobos like this. But nothing with eliminate standing waves except moving walls... - just don't get too close to the corners or walls of the room and you should be ok.

Isolation is another thing. You need a sealed room for that. This setup will attenuate outside sound somewhat, but it will absolutely not isolate you.

- John
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
thanks

How would you recommend constructing the panels with the 703 spaced from the backboard? Could I use wire?

How much would a panel 4' x 6' weigh? I'm guessing about 50 pounds?

I am going to be standing inside this space very close to the walls if I design it as a triangle like I said before... is this too close to the walls?

sorry for all the questions...
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
heres the idea in photoshop sketched out

To clarify:

This is the plan attached...

The 3 double-lined walls of the triangle are going to be made from 2" fiberglass spaced 2" from the plywood (luan) as suggested... they are each 6' tall. The grey square is another panel 4' x 4' that will go on top of the three panels. I am 5'7" so there is not a whole lot of room above my head. The mic is placed slightly lower then my mouth.

My questions:

Are the panels spaced too close to the singer/mic (the mic is the circle in front of the singer)? Will it create a very un-natural frequency response / boxy sound?
Attached Thumbnails
for dead vox-vocalboothidea01.jpg  
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…